Front loading or top loading washing machine?

I ended up buying 2 machines...

Samsung WW90T4040CB1TL (9kg) - For Mom
Samsung WW90T504DAN1TL (9kg, Eco Bubble, AI, Wi-Fi) - For Me & my SO (Different house).
if you have familiarity with this, can you check which domains its hitting for the AI service (basically to see what kind of data is being sent)? I am casually looking into front loaders, will probably buy one next year for mom, and the WiFi thing seems really useful to me, as long as the data collection is not too egregious/I can block it without impacting functionality

Now can we find similar in the Indian market?

~60 litres

^What is the model number of this 9kg?

~72 litres. A little above what LG said.

What a difference just one inch more to either parameter makes..

Wait a little longer

Can you go check the volume of this model

Example of LG screwing up specs on their website

What is the correct depth for this machine :facepalm:
It is the same model as the link you posted. FHP1209 series with last 3 characters being the color codes. This was the one in LG showroom as well and the specs mismatch maybe an error from their end. But I could clearly measure and see both externally and drum wise that the 9KG has lesser depth and the 11KG has more depth. This is visible to the naked eye as well without measuring because both were kept next to each other.

It is the same model as the link you posted. FHP1209 series with last 3 characters being the color codes.
Only the last letter is the colour code.

The number in front of the Z indicates features. So Z9 is their top of the line for that weight. There are lower Z7, Z5, Z4 etc with less features.

Also P indicates premium in FHP
The V i guess means value in FHV
This was the one in LG showroom as well and the specs mismatch maybe an error from their end. But I could clearly measure and see both externally and drum wise that the 9KG has lesser depth and the 11KG has more depth.
Was the external depth of the two the same at 56cm? Or was the 9kg shorter at 46cm

Only the last letter is the colour code.

The number in front of the Z indicates features. So Z9 is their top of the line for that weight. There are lower Z7, Z5, Z4 etc with less features.

Also P indicates premium in FHP
The V i guess means value in FHV

Was the external depth of the two the same at 56cm? Or was the 9kg shorter at 46cm
They have both the models on display. The 475mm depth version of 9KG which they call the compact version, the 565mm depth version of 9KG which is the same dimension as the 11KG machine. The compact version of 9KG has a smaller drum so didn't bother measuring it. Among the 9KG and the 11KG versions with the exact same dimensions, the 9KG has a drum size lesser by 1 inch both in depth and in diameter and 11KG is the bigger drum of the two though the dimensions are the same. Confirmed this again today and measured it once more today. LG has kept the dimensions same for both these versions with difference in drum size. I got a 3 year extended warranty and good cashback and final product value was 44K for the 11KG. So I have made the purchase today.

Clear window :happy:

People were complaining they couldn't find the start button because its so faint. I can see why but then Samsung has also provided braille on this machine as well.

Whether that's an inhouse joke or meant to be taken seriously is unclear.

Does this machine and your mothers have a load detect function with the Cottons cycle?

This means the duration of the program varies and is calculated automatically by the machine depending on the load.

About the Touch-Start Button:
Yes, it's not very easy to see it even in a brightly lit room. The symbols should have been more prominent. The touch-buttons are written in a shade of grey on the Inox body color of the machine and it's not easy to pick up at times on a quick glance. I also would have liked two separate touch buttons for Start and Hold separately.

This is what I mean:
IMG_20240904_1722594.jpg

About Load Detection:
Yes, both machines have Load Detection. I will have to check if it specifically has detection on the Cotton cycle or not on Mom's machine but it has it on Daily wash cycle which I have tried. On my Wi-Fi enabled machine it has load detection on cycles I have tried so far which are Daily, Cotton and Towels:

Cotton Cycle Load Sensing

Towels & Bath Mats Load Sensing

This is the normal message that pops up on the display after a full wash is completed:

However, last evening I decided to let AI do it's thing and choose a wash cycle for me. Got a different message after the full cycle was completed:

On a side note... to think back to the early winter mornings circa 1990's when I had to hand-wash my daily clothes in terribly cold water before heading to school at 6AM. Some three decades later here I am keeping track of my laundry being washed by AI while I can sit back, relax and game:

IMG_20240906_210429.jpg

Life has come a long way... :)

One thing I still love about Bosch is their iDOS method its too good, last year I did plan on getting the samsung but went ahead with bosch for their automatic detergent dispensing ,
@Black_Hawk you have to put detergent in every wash right?

About Load Detection:
Yes, both machines have Load Detection. I will have to check if it specifically has detection on the Cotton cycle or not on Mom's machine but it has it on Daily wash cycle which I have tried. On my Wi-Fi enabled machine it has load detection on cycles I have tried so far which are Daily, Cotton and Towels:

Cotton Cycle Load Sensing
What's confusing about that photo is it says load sensing but the time is also shown at the same time at 1h27 which is the default time for that cycle.

What I would expect is the time be blank while load sensing completes and then it shows a (calculated) time for the cycle.

Does the duration with a full load increase or not after the load sensing completes with the Cottons cycle?

Daily wash i think is weight limited and isn't for the rated load. That's why i was asking about the Cottons cycle.
One thing I still love about Bosch is their iDOS method its too good, last year I did plan on getting the samsung but went ahead with bosch for their automatic detergent dispensing
So does your Bosch do load sensing on the Cottons cycle or not?
They have both the models on display. The 475mm depth version of 9KG which they call the compact version, the 565mm depth version of 9KG which is the same dimension as the 11KG machine. The compact version of 9KG has a smaller drum so didn't bother measuring it.
You may be surprised to know that so called compact has the same diameter as your 11kg. But not the depth. As a result it's of a similar volume as the 9kg with the same depth as the 11kg.

LG India does not as yet provide a 9kg of same diameter and depth as the 11kg like i showed earlier with LG France.
Among the 9KG and the 11KG versions with the exact same dimensions, the 9KG has a drum size lesser by 1 inch both in depth and in diameter
This 9kg is the pre 2024 size. Good enough for most people. And what I usually recommend as there wasn't anything larger until recently.
11KG is the bigger drum of the two though the dimensions are the same. Confirmed this again today and measured it once more today. LG has kept the dimensions same for both these versions with difference in drum size. I got a 3 year extended warranty and good cashback and final product value was 44K for the 11KG. So I have made the purchase today.
Thanks for confirming. Now there is an option for those wanting a larger drum.

Is this your first front loader or what did you use before?

Last edited:
You may be surprised to know that so called compact has the same diameter as your 11kg. But not the depth. As a result it's of a similar volume as the 9kg with the same depth as the 11kg.

LG India does not as yet provide a 9kg of same diameter and depth as the 11kg like i showed earlier with LG France.

This 9kg is the pre 2024 size. Good enough for most people. And what I usually recommend as there wasn't anything larger until recently.

Thanks for confirming. Now there is an option for those wanting a larger drum.

Is this your first front loader or what did you use before?
This is my 3rd actually. Previous one was LG 6KG and was using it for 9 years with no issues and not even one single service call at all. The machine had traveled with me to 3 cities and 5-6 houses during shifting and never failed me. Needed a larger capacity and so exchanged it for a Bosch since I could see that Bosch had a larger drum size amongst machines. Then the horror story unfolded. 3 days after the order was placed, Bosch delivered a unit which had its door wobbly and damaged during transit. This was found during installation and I asked for a replacement since washing machine needed to have a factory finish door to avoid leakage in future. My old LG machine was taken during delivery of the faulty unit. Bosch took their own sweet time and delivered the replacement unit after 12 days. Installation came the next day and no faulty door and I was relieved. But my relief was short-lived since the machine had a drain error E18 right from first wash. The technician came the next day and he told me the motherboard was not communicating with drain pump motor and motherboard was faulty and had to be replaced and that it would take 7 days for this to be replaced. I was already without a machine for 2 weeks and I had got 2 faulty units and so lost all trust with Bosch and asked them to pick up the machine and related accessories and issue a complete refund including the extended warranty I purchased. This took nearly a week and I am without a washing machine for 3 weeks now. They had promptly sold my old machine to some scrap dealer and never bothered to return it or compensate for that. It was in perfect working condition and I had 3 loads done the day before it was taken. I decided that from now on it would be Japanese or Korean brands who can service quickly and stock spares and not make me wait for days or weeks. The Bosch dealership store-in-charge used to treat me as if he was doing some sort of charity whereas I was the enraged customer but I still dealt with these guys patiently. Only after they picked up could I go and get a new LG machine since I did not have space in balcony for 2 machines. As I type this, LG dealership delivery team is on the way to deliver my machine and I purchased it yesterday evening only. The LG installation guy has already called me a few times since morning asking me if machine was delivered and if he can come for installation. This is in a tier 1 city and Bosch treated me this way and left me without a washing machine for 3 weeks with refund still pending as I post this and no resolution for the old machine they had taken from me. I will never suggest Bosch-Siemens brand to anyone nor step into their store ever after their horror show of 3 weeks, the way their back-end processes delayed things and the way they treated me.

Attached is the picture of the machine with all panels and trays removed on day 1 of its use. I was just appalled by this with the machine completely opened up even without a wash-cycle done by me. Bosch has pathetic quality control since they did not run a wash-rinse-dry cycle before packaging the unit else they would have found that the motherboard was faulty.
As I type this, LG dealership delivery team is on the way to deliver my machine and I purchased it yesterday evening only. The LG installation guy has already called me a few times since morning asking me if machine was delivered and if he can come for installation.
Ordered LG washing machine yesterday evening. Machine delivered and installation done within a day that too on a holiday. Something Bosch can only dream off which I realize from experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240831-232931.jpg
    Screenshot_20240831-232931.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This is my 3rd actually. Previous one was LG 6KG and was using it for 9 years with no issues and not even one single service call at all.
My LG will be 9 years this Jan. As you said not a single service call yet and my main reason to recommend the brand. I believe they're better engineered. And even though I have a base model don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with the new machines.
The machine had traveled with me to 3 cities and 5-6 houses during shifting and never failed me. Needed a larger capacity and so exchanged it for a Bosch since I could see that Bosch had a larger drum size amongst machines.
Notice how i insisted on drum measurements. Because back in the day I discovered the 6kg was tiny and what you really want is 7kg. 42 litres vs 55. Big difference. These days its 8kg. The Bosch you got would be around 60 litres, similar to equivalent Samsung or IFB but not big enough of a difference to go with those brands. To me anyway.

The way i learnt was to build card board models of the volume of the two drums. Started filling it with laundry and then understood why bigger is better. People would laugh and say can't you figure it out just by looking. Not if its your first front loader. And many got it wrong back in the day. Had you got a 7kg back then instead of 6kg you would not have to upgrade now. Isn't it?

Nearly 10k more for the 7kg at the time and the sales guy kept insisting i didn't need it. Yeah i did as does everybody.
Then the horror story unfolded. 3 days after the order was placed, Bosch delivered a unit which had its door wobbly and damaged during transit. This was found during installation and I asked for a replacement since washing machine needed to have a factory finish door to avoid leakage in future. My old LG machine was taken during delivery of the faulty unit. Bosch took their own sweet time and delivered the replacement unit after 12 days. Installation came the next day and no faulty door and I was relieved. But my relief was short-lived since the machine had a drain error E18 right from first wash. The technician came the next day and he told me the motherboard was not communicating with drain pump motor and motherboard was faulty and had to be replaced and that it would take 7 days for this to be replaced. I was already without a machine for 2 weeks and I had got 2 faulty units and so lost all trust with Bosch and asked them to pick up the machine and related accessories and issue a complete refund including the extended warranty I purchased. This took nearly a week and I am without a washing machine for 3 weeks now. They had promptly sold my old machine to some scrap dealer and never bothered to return it or compensate for that. It was in perfect working condition and I had 3 loads done the day before it was taken. I decided that from now on it would be Japanese or Korean brands who can service quickly and stock spares and not make me wait for days or weeks. The Bosch dealership store-in-charge used to treat me as if he was doing some sort of charity whereas I was the enraged customer but I still dealt with these guys patiently. Only after they picked up could I go and get a new LG machine since I did not have space in balcony for 2 machines. As I type this, LG dealership delivery team is on the way to deliver my machine and I purchased it yesterday evening only. The LG installation guy has already called me a few times since morning asking me if machine was delivered and if he can come for installation. This is in a tier 1 city and Bosch treated me this way and left me without a washing machine for 3 weeks with refund still pending as I post this and no resolution for the old machine they had taken from me. I will never suggest Bosch-Siemens brand to anyone nor step into their store ever after their horror show of 3 weeks, the way their back-end processes delayed things and the way they treated me.

Attached is the picture of the machine with all panels and trays removed on day 1 of its use. I was just appalled by this with the machine completely opened up even without a wash-cycle done by me. Bosch has pathetic quality control since they did not run a wash-rinse-dry cycle before packaging the unit else they would have found that the motherboard was faulty.
LG recommend a plain drum clean for the first wash precisely because they run a test cycle at the factory and there might be some residue left as a result. Some people misconstrue this as evidence the machine isn't brand new and was probably returned. Plausible but incorrect.

The reason i tell people to avoid Bosch or any other Euro brand front loader is because the drums are sealed. Whereas they are not sealed with the Koreans or even IFB.

Amazed at the issues you had just after buying a Bosch. Certainly not had anyone here complain about Bosch. They are all happy campers for the most part. That is until the first service call and things take longer to fix or cost much more than expected.

Which tier 1 city are you from? Let's see if Bosch service is any better other than Cal
Ordered LG washing machine yesterday evening. Machine delivered and installation done within a day that too on a holiday. Something Bosch can only dream off which I realize from experience.
If the LG tech ie. the one that does the demo hasn't arrived yet ask how much would it cost to swap out the tinted door for a clear one.

The Z9 indicates top of the line. It has features i don't consider essential but maybe nice to play with.

Steam refresh is good for a couple of items not more. How often will you use that. They even have an ad about it. You can make it to the party within an hour after discovering you have no clean clothes because of the steam refresh :woot:

Turbo wash i would like you to explain how it works. There is a 39 minute cycle but with a reduced load.
1) Is your machine turbowash or turbowash 360? The latter has 4 jets coming from the gasket. The former has just one from the top. In another LG documentation cockup. The catalog says 360 but not the website for the machine :bored:

2) whether turbowash results in a shorter wash time with a full load on the cottons cycle.

Last edited:
Had you got a 7kg back then instead of 6kg you would not have to upgrade now. Isn't it?

The reason i tell people to avoid Bosch or any other Euro brand front loader is because the drums are sealed. Whereas they are not sealed with the Koreans or even IFB.

Amazed at the issues you had just after buying a Bosch. Certainly not had anyone here complain about Bosch. They are all happy campers for the most part. That is until the first service call and things take longer to fix or cost much more than expected.

Which tier 1 city are you from? Let's see if Bosch service is any better other than Cal

If the LG tech ie. the one that does the demo hasn't arrived yet ask how much would it cost to swap out the tinted door for a clear one.

The Z9 indicates top of the line. It has features i don't consider essential but maybe nice to play with.
6KG was sufficient for my needs then up until a couple of years back. My wife does only weekend loads and so 6KG was not sufficient for her. Also, with increased workload in office my washing cycle along with my kid's are also weekend only nowadays and so more load became a requirement recently.

Weekly curtains, bedsheets, duvets/dohars, covers, etc also need to be washed. I didn't want to run 2-3 loads for each of these and so was trying to see how to fit into a single load.

I am from Bangalore, where Bosch has their R&D base setup, warehouse in Neelamangala and plant in Bidadi and still they can't get spares on time. It was about the issues but also about how they handled it in their own sweet time which got frustrating.

The tinted doors are not too bad and fairly visible in the balcony light. Worst case can use a torch and can clearly see what is inside if required post evening. There was about 4K price difference between 9KG and 11KG so I thought why not get the 11KG with bigger drum. 11KG had only two options with both top end and only color difference. Opted for whichever color I would get delivery at the earliest. Would slowly explore the different wash cycles and features and post here. My first priority is pending wash loads and feature exploration comes later.

6KG was sufficient for my needs then up until a couple of years back. My wife does only weekend loads and so 6KG was not sufficient for her. Also, with increased workload in office my washing cycle along with my kid's are also weekend only nowadays and so more load became a requirement recently.
Exactly the reason why i recommend a bigger machine even for singles. They tend to do the laundry on the weekend or would prefer to do laundry as few times as possible. And the extra headroom can accommodate life changes later. These appliances are capable of lasting well over a decade if maintained properly.
Weekly curtains, bedsheets, duvets/dohars, covers, etc also need to be washed. I didn't want to run 2-3 loads for each of these and so was trying to see how to fit into a single load.
Why wash curtains weekly? I get away once a season if that. My windows are open and close to a road. Allergies?

The rest you should be able to get through in a single load. If not split it in two. Don't try to get everything done in one. That's how overloading happens. When it gets going and wet you want the load either at the halfway mark when looking or slightly above but not more. You'll get the best tumble action ie. best wash action/cleaning and not strain the machine. See why I like clear windows.

You can always use the timer overnight to have a load complete when you wake up in the morning. I've noticed that even if a power cut occurs that when it resumes that the timer still remembers but shortens the countdown by a half hour or so. So the wash completes sooner than you programmed it. Acceptable. You wouldn't want it completing later.
I am from Bangalore, where Bosch has their R&D base setup, warehouse in Neelamangala and plant in Bidadi and still they can't get spares on time. It was about the issues but also about how they handled it in their own sweet time which got frustrating.
If they can't get it done here you wonder how they will be elsewhere in the country. Can't help thinking Bosch's standards have dropped over the years. Maybe due to cost cuts and layoffs. I remember people here used to be quite perky about their new Bosch washer 2012 - 2015. This would be after they split from IFB and went solo.
The tinted doors are not too bad and fairly visible in the balcony light. Worst case can use a torch and can clearly see what is inside if required post evening.
It's the heat shield. So kids don't hurt themselves touching if you have a 60 degree or higher wash going.

Is the tint to make it harder for kids to see through in the hopes they don't notice or get bored and not fiddle with the machine? Maybe there is more than aesthetics behind this tinted door decision.

But you can get clear options abroad. We just aren't given the choice with these 'made in India' ones. Yes there are clear screen options but they are a minority. And why can't i get a white fascia. Grey and black are not colours i usually associate with a washing machine.
There was about 4K price difference between 9KG and 11KG so I thought why not get the 11KG with bigger drum. 11KG had only two options with both top end and only color difference. Opted for whichever color I would get delivery at the earliest. Would slowly explore the different wash cycles and features and post here. My first priority is pending wash loads and feature exploration comes later.
I'm interested to know how you find the performance of this latest gen compared to your earlier LG. Volume apart. My machine cleans well. No complaints. But then my full load Cotton cycles average 2h45 with a prewash. All runs overnight and i can hardly hear the machine in the bathroom of the next room. Doors are all open. An unbalanced spin maybe. This is important to pick up. With bedsheets the way i load them earlier would result in them rolling up into one big bundle which the machine then struggled to disentangle so as to get a full speed spin. Now I ball up bedsheets individually or any large items when loading and find the unbalanced spins do occur but less frequently than before. This reduces strain on the bearings.

The end chime is loud enough and long enough to alert me.

Last edited:
What's confusing about that photo is it says load sensing but the time is also shown at the same time at 1h27 which is the default time for that cycle.

What I would expect is the time be blank while load sensing completes and then it shows a (calculated) time for the cycle.

Does the duration with a full load increase or not after the load sensing completes with the Cottons cycle?

Daily wash i think is weight limited and isn't for the rated load. That's why i was asking about the Cottons cycle.

Yes the the time changes after the machine does it's load sensing (for any wash). You can check the video I made below showing the load sensing process:

Wash Cycle Details:
IMG_20240909_152747.jpg

Load Sensing Video:

This happens for Cottons Cycle as well. Timing varies with load and number of rinses that I choose at the time of starting a wash cycle.

Observations:

1. For Load Sensing the machine rotates the drum ONLY anti-clockwise. First slow and then rapidly.

2. My Bosch WAB16060IN (6kg) which I had previously had no load sensing process. Once I started the wash it would proceed to take in water and begin the wash cycle.

Last edited:
This happens for Cottons Cycle as well. Timing varies with load and number of rinses that I choose at the time of starting a wash cycle.
Confirmed your machine has load sensing. Next I want to know how long a full load on the Cottons cycle takes.

And whether the model you got for your mother has load sensing.
2. My Bosch WAB16060IN (6kg) which I had previously had no load sensing process. Once I started the wash it would proceed to take in water and begin the wash cycle.
Yes i figured the older Bosch were like that. Same goes for IFB too.

No idea whether the later models have it or not.

I think load sensing is a feature worth having that nobody talks about. Standard on LG's base models and up for nearly a decade now.

Last edited:
@blr_p :

I used the "Bedding" wash cycle yesterday and today. Under Bedding cycle you can put in heavy items like curtains, bed-sheets, bedspreads, pillow covers. etc. I put in a couple of bed-sheets. What I noticed was when you use the Bedding wash cycle the machine does NOT do the Load Sensing procedure prior to starting the wash cycle. It entirely skips the load sensing phase and directly starts washing. Took about 1hour & 12 minutes to wash and spin dry 2 bed-sheets.

Another thing: My previous Bosch machine did NOT have any kind of chime/ alarm after it completed the wash + spin dry cycle. It just shut off. This Samsung machine however has a long, loud chime after it completes the wash + spin dry cycle:

:)

What I noticed was when you use the Bedding wash cycle the machine does NOT do the Load Sensing procedure prior to starting the wash cycle. It entirely skips the load sensing phase and directly starts washing. Took about 1hour & 12 minutes to wash and spin dry 2 bed-sheets.
It might be one of those reduced load cycles whose max is less than rated. The manual will indicate if not the machine itself
This Samsung machine however has a long, loud chime after it completes the wash + spin dry cycle:

:)
Did you know its over 200 years old and by Schubert.

I have no idea who composed the tune LG uses but its helpful. Long enough to get your attention.

I have the Samsung top load, hot water edition. Pretty good imo.
Has quite a lot of features for washing but only a couple few will be used in your everyday wash. Hot water washing features has a wash time of 4.5 hours, but was good for bed sheets and other laundry.

@blr_p Exactly how difficult is it to service a washing machine? Ours ifb front loader (2007 bought) is leaking some water from bottom, and the drum is making some noise (like it's not properly attached) during high spins. I called ifb cc to register a service but they straightaway said machine too old and obsolete and they won't entertain. Can third party guys be relied upon? I never used any third party service for any appliances so....

@blr_p Exactly how difficult is it to service a washing machine?
Depends on spare parts availability. Usually upto 10 years is doable.
Ours ifb front loader (2007 bought) is leaking some water from bottom, and the drum is making some noise (like it's not properly attached) during high spins. I called ifb cc to register a service but they straightaway said machine too old and obsolete and they won't entertain.
That's unfortunate
Can third party guys be relied upon? I never used any third party service for any appliances so....
You will have to go with local recommendations. But in general these guys work with different machines and are more experienced, smarter and resourceful than company techs. Provided they can get find spares. If not company branded then next best generic.

Give it a go and then decide.
I have the Samsung top load, hot water edition. Pretty good imo.
What's the model number?
Hot water washing features has a wash time of 4.5 hours, but was good for bed sheets and other laundry.
Do you have any idea how hot in temperature the water gets?

Last edited:
@blr_p Any thoughts on WW12DB8B54GS from Samsung Bespoke series?
Depends on the drum volume.

Any chance of getting depth and diameter measurements of the drum? You would have to measure them yourself. Not listed anywhere.

Usual gripes about the UI which I mentioned already for the previous Samsung machine. Turning that dial for the program to appear unlike seeing all programs at once around an analogue dial.

Whereas that one had a clear glass door, this bespoke model does not. Also it's got auto dose for detergent which means you are stuck using liquids with no chance of powder?

Or can you do without auto dose. It's not that difficult to manually dose detergent.

I like to switch detergent between washes. Sometimes powder, different brands of powder. Liquid, different brands of liquid. With auto dose you are stuck with the detergent you filled in the reservoir. Until it gets over :bored:

If you need a bigger machine why not look at that 11kg LG recently mentioned

Last edited:
Back