Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Any chance of getting depth and diameter measurements of the drum? You would have to measure them yourself. Not listed anywhere.
I am planning to visit a store which has both LG & Samsung machines this weekend, will update the dimension here.
Usual gripes about the UI which I mentioned already for the previous Samsung machine.
We mostly use about 3 programs so I am not too worried about this.
Also it's got auto dose for detergent which means you are stuck using liquids with no chance of powder?
It has both an auto dispenser and a manual mode for detergent AFAIK, will check and confirm.
I like to switch detergent between washes. Sometimes powder, different brands of powder. Liquid, different brands of liquid.
Could I know your reasoning for this? Are their specific uses cases where a detergent and liquid each perform better than the other?
Liquid, different brands of liquid.
The plan was to get a LG washer + LG heat pump dryer and stack them, but I hear that the AI Wash in Samsung Bespoke line is quite useful so considering it as an option. The name notwithstanding, If it has good sensors which can do away with segregating clothes, mode selection and detergent measurement, doing laundry would be more comfortable.

Could I know your reasoning for this? Are their specific uses cases where a detergent and liquid each perform better than the other?
I prefer powder as its cheaper and seems to clean better. Liquid only with microfiber cloths or delicate clothes. With natural fibres like silk or wool you need an enzyme free detergent like godrej ezee.

Powder is easier to dose as well. A heaped 30gm scoop and I'm done. Powder also works better for timed washes. Though I've figured out how to use liquid here with a small container placed in the drawer. This also allows to use prewash with liquids which wasn't possible before. As it would just flow into the machine during the prewash phase.

I've picked up some liquid imports recently so alternating those out. The uk liquid surf has a very strong perfume that persists even when dry. Quite pleasant. The first time i tried it the whole room picked up the scent.

I have a cynical take on this. If people wash at lower temperatures then the detergent needs a stronger perfume to look like its clean. I'd rather no perfume in the detergent and then I really know if the clothes are clean or not which is what the US free & gentle tide does.
The plan was to get a LG washer + LG heat pump dryer and stack them, but I hear that the AI Wash in Samsung Bespoke line is quite useful so considering it as an option.
Is it possible to stack the LG's? The bespoke Samsung allows for it according to the webpage.
The name notwithstanding, If it has good sensors which can do away with segregating clothes, mode selection and detergent measurement, doing laundry would be more comfortable.
For a full load i use either 30+gm of powder or 30+ml of liquid. If the load is less then decrease accordingly.

Segregating clothes depends on how hard wearing they are. Mine are mostly cotton so bedsheets, tees, unders, towels all get done in 60 degree cottons + prewash cycle.

If you have mixed fabrics or sportswear those will have to go on different cycles. You also can't mix harder wearing textiles with more delicate. No tech will do away with clothes segregation because the machine will never know what material you are washing. Or you will have to wash everything on a gentle cycle with varying results depending on staining.

The more in control you are of settings the better. In fact a machine large enough without too many auto features will serve you just fine. I'm in no rush or feel the need to upgrade my 2016 LG base model. But it appears to get the biggest drums you have to take all the latest features with LG or Samsung whether you want them or not.

Samsung makes all sorts of fancy claims with their AI. They have

AI Wash
AI Energy
AI Eco bubble
AI control

... A lot of AI's (!)

Like saving energy. The way it does that is washing at lower temperatures. I'm not interested in that. Each of my washes costs a half unit or so and I'm happy with the results after a close to 3h cycle. I load up at night so the wash is done and put out to dry first thing in the morning.

@blr_p : Can you kindly suggest some detergent imports (should be available through Amazon India) which have nice perfume and the smell lingers once the clothes are dry? I usually use Ariel liquid detergent (front load) for my clothes and I'm tired of the same fragrance now! Also, the smell doesn't really linger on clothes once they dry up.

@blr_p : Can you kindly suggest some detergent imports (should be available through Amazon India) which have nice perfume and the smell lingers once the clothes are dry?
Surf from the UK but its out of stock atm.

Keep checking as the seller might get some later or write them to find out when. I picked up three different perfumes over a year ago and there were still another three more. Never got round to them.

Found one on flipkart

Same seller. Guess that is all there is left. Get it while you can.

I usually use Ariel liquid detergent (front load) for my clothes and I'm tired of the same fragrance now! Also, the smell doesn't really linger on clothes once they dry up.
That is less than half the price of imports

Yeah the brands we get here are not like that. Unless you try Henko powder. I didn't find it very pleasant though.

Last edited:
Surf from the UK but its out of stock atm.

Keep checking as the seller might get some later or write them to find out when. I picked up three different perfumes over a year ago and there were still another three more. Never got round to them.

Found one on flipkart

Same seller. Guess that is all there is left. Get it while you can.

That is less than half the price of imports

Yeah the brands we get here are not like that. Unless you try Henko powder. I didn't find it very pleasant though.

Thanks so much my friend, I ordered the Surf one from the Flipkart link you provided. :)

How is this Tide Detergent that you ordered? Does Tide generally have a light fragrance? I have never used the Tide that is available here in India,have you?

How is this Tide Detergent that you ordered? Does Tide generally have a light fragrance?
That free & gentle is the exact opposite of Surf. It has no scent. For some people the scent in detergent triggers allergies so this variant is to help with that. But I use it to gauge how well the laundry is being cleaned. Based on wash temperature, loading etc the clothes once washed should have no smell. Clean means smells of nothing. Not the fancy words that accompany these scented products.

Another use is with scent beads. A non scented detergent allows the scent beads to prevail more instead of mixing with whatever scent is already in the detergent. The company that makes those beads sent me a free sample of their scent free powder detergent that worked fine but they have not made it available as yet. This company is making a local more affordable variant to Downys Unstopables that came out a decade ago.

HUL has its own scent beads product now. Their 100 day claim is more likely using a dryer than line drying. So many glowing reviews for a HUL product? Maybe its the Rs.90 cashback doing the talking here

Something I don't understand is people say it helps prevent unpleasant smell from clothes in the monsoon season. I've never experienced this problem even though the clothes can take two days to dry outdoors. Maybe its an issue with unheated washes with top loaders. Or these people are using cheap detergent and drying clothes indoors. Branded detergent contains cationic surfactants that kill the bacteria which grows in the clothes during slow drying indoors. Technically, you don't need these scented beads at all if using proper detergent.

When it comes to scents i find the floral scents in general to be stronger and longer lasting than the fruity ones. But i like the fruity ones better because they don't get up your nose as much. Also the difference with scent beads is augmented by the use of a dryer by at least 40%. So they're popular in the west. But with line drying the scent is much fainter after a day on the line. So you end up doubling the dose and then it becomes uneconomical.

There is another US Tide version with perfume available but I have to say I paid half as much a year or so ago. No idea why it doubled since.

There is always the fabric conditioner route if you want scented laundry but i discourage its use in front loaders as it can lead to build up later. Some say if you dose in moderation its perfectly fine but I just don't agree with the idea of coating my laundry in grease. And it can take up to 8 washes to rid your clothes of this greasy crap (!)

So I never use it. I have got into arguments over this with British washer enthusiasts.

As i said earlier my cynical take about these scent boosters is to hide less than proper washing.

Be careful what you wish for in your quest for scented laundry :meh:

I have never used the Tide that is available here in India,have you?
Tide for front loader is a recent introduction in India. You can read my thoughts about it here as there is a bit of a backstory. The powder seems similar to Ariel in that it foams as much which is a little more than Surf. I haven't tried the liquid. Why don't you since you are more familiar with Ariel liquid which I've never tried.

Part of the reason i didn't mention these imports because i didn't want to push liquids being a powder user :smug:

Last edited:
That free & gentle is the exact opposite of Surf. It has no scent. For some people the scent in detergent triggers allergies so this variant is to help with that. But I use it to gauge how well the laundry is being cleaned. Based on wash temperature, loading etc the clothes once washed should have no smell. Clean means smells of nothing. Not the fancy words that accompany these products.

Another use is with scent beads. A non scented detergent allows the scent beads to prevail more instead of mixing with whatever scent is already in the detergent. The company that makes those beads sent me a free sample of their scent free powder detergent that worked fine but they have not made it available as yet. This company is making a local more affordable variant to Downys Unstopables that came out a decade ago.

HUL has its own scent beads product now. Their 100 day claim is more likely using a dryer than line drying. So many glowing reviews for a HUL product? Maybe its the Rs.90 cashback doing the talking here

Something I don't understand is people say it helps prevent unpleasant smell from clothes in the monsoon season. I've never experienced this problem even though the clothes can take two days to dry outdoors. Maybe its an issue with unheated washes with top loaders. Or these people are using cheap detergent and drying clothes indoors. Branded detergent contains cationic surfactants that kill the bacteria which grows in the clothes during slow drying indoors. Technically, you don't need these scented beads at all.

When it comes to scents i find the floral scents in general to be stronger and longer lasting than the fruity ones. But i like the fruity ones better because they don't get up your nose as much. Also the difference with scent beads is augmented by the use of a dryer by at least 40%. So they're popular in the west. But with line drying the scent is much fainter after a day on the line. So you end up doubling the dose and then it becomes uneconomical.

There is another US Tide version with perfume available but I have to say I paid half as much a year or so ago. No idea why it doubled since.

There is always the fabric conditioner route if you want scented laundry but i discourage its use in front loaders as it can lead to build up later. Some say if you dose in moderation its perfectly fine but I just don't agree with the idea of coating my laundry in grease. So I never use it. I have got into arguments over this with British washer enthusiasts.

As i said earlier my cynical take about these scent boosters is to hide less than proper washing. And it can take up to 8 washes to rid your clothes of this greasy crap (!)

Be careful what you wish for in your quest for scented laundry :meh:

Tide for front loader is a recent introduction in India. You can read my thoughts about it here as there is a bit of a backstory. The powder seems similar to Ariel in that it foams as much which is a little more than Surf. I haven't tried the liquid. Why don't you since you are more familiar with Ariel liquid which I've never tried.

Part of the reason i didn't mention these imports because i didn't want to push liquids being a powder user :smug:

Goodness gracious me! I'm literally at awe with the sheer amount of knowledge and information you hold about washing machines and and detergents! This information you are sharing, taking time to type it all in, is pure gold for us here seeking help and guidance with washing machines in general. Thank-you so very much my friend, really. :)

I was actually contemplating on placing the order for the Tide (US variant) as well simply because I haven't tried Tide till now. I must also try scent beads. Searching on Amazon has lead me to a a variety of fragrances so will order 2 bottles and see how they are to begin with.

Regarding Ariel Front Load liquid detergent I have never really had any problems with it. My clothes are soft and don't feel rough. Has a mild fragrance after line drying in the balcony.

I have completely stopped using Comfort or any kind of fabric softener. I used to use them in my Bosch machine but over time saw that they don't always dissolve well with the water and mess up the detergent tray in the machine. This lead me to stop using them altogether.

I thought I would mention one more thing here... After purchasing the Samsung washing machines earlier this month I got a call about 2-3 days after installation. The call was made by a lady who asked me if my installation was done or not. Mind you, this call was not from Samsung's local office here in Kolkata who sent the installation person initially (the one who setup the machine). This lady who called asked me why I hadn't bought the washing machine stand! When I said I needed no stand she immediately switched her tone to being rude and told me that I would need the stand and became pushy and aggressive. When I asked her where she was calling from and what her name was she disconnected the call. I then made a call to the local Samsung office here (had saved their number when they called up for installation appointment earlier) and was was told that they never make such calls regarding selling other accessories! Truecaller has a number of remarks for that lady's number - the one called up for selling the stand, and all of them mention it's a scam and Samsung hasn't done anything to stop it.

I thought I would mention one more thing here... After purchasing the Samsung washing machines earlier this month I got a call about 2-3 days after installation. The call was made by a lady who asked me if my installation was done or not. Mind you, this call was not from Samsung's local office here in Kolkata who sent the installation person initially (the one who setup the machine). This lady who called asked me why I hadn't bought the washing machine stand! When I said I needed no stand she immediately switched her tone to being rude and told me that I would need the stand and became pushy and aggressive. When I asked her where she was calling from and what her name was she disconnected the call. I then made a call to the local Samsung office here (had saved their number when they called up for installation appointment earlier) and was was told that they never make such calls regarding selling other accessories! Truecaller has a number of remarks for that lady's number - the one called up for selling the stand, and all of them mention it's a scam and Samsung hasn't done anything to stop it.
This is something new. She knows who the new customers are and how to contact them. Maybe the people who came to do the install were 3rd party hired by Samsung and she's just part of that crew. So its true Samsung doesn't call for accessories because they aren't selling them to begin with.

These people are the main reason i see people using stands for front loaders that weren't designed to run on them. When i bought my machine i enquired about a stand and the shop owner told me it wasn't required. It was actually a trick question and I told him he passed the test.
I called ifb cc to register a service but they straightaway said machine too old and obsolete and they won't entertain. ....
See here for a drum replacement of 12 yr old IFB. Nobody said too old

He lives in Goa where IFB is based so maybe service is better there.

What do you say @stefanm ?
@blr_p Any thoughts on WW12DB8B54GS from Samsung Bespoke series?
I'm learning Bespoke presently means something very different in the US

$2k and it's 5 cu ft meaning little more than twice the volume of the 12kg you get here. Which means if ever an Indian version launched here it would likely be under a lakh.

You see where Samsung are heading with the UI. If i don't like the present UI on the Sammy's here then i like this even less. Way, way too fiddly and complicated. No more knobs and buttons. Only touchscreen :nailbiting:

What i find amazing is wash and completely dry in about 3-4h for under two units of electricity per wash :woot:

Otherwise this thing is auto bloody everything....

Last edited:
Back