Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Yes. I measured again but to be clear, I am NOT counting the top plastic part.
Got it. So yours is 55L. Why? You have an 8kg LG Top loader

There is a difference between 7kg & 8kg :oops:

Noted. This is a better size than the 7kg
Both the diameter and height are of the actual steel drum.
Correct, as requested. At full water level, the water won't go higher than the start of the plastic part.
Diameter is 40cm.
Then the volume of your drum is 44L. That is 25% smaller than their specs said.

They claim 62L at water level 5. Your water level on max will never reach past the beginning of the plastic part. You already posted a photo of it.

Ah! I got it now. They are mentioning the water volume at that level. That water will be in the tub which is bigger than the drum. That must be the top loader standard for specifying volume.

Not helpful as it is not the drum volume that a user would want to know.

Last edited:
I'm just confused why your diameter is larger than the depth. Does the drum look like that to you? Short and squat instead of taller?
Now you are just making me doubt my measuring tape skills. It maybe +- 1cm but yes, the diameter is bigger than height and yes it does look like that.
Here's a photo I just took (sorry for the flash)

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_155157171.jpg
    PXL_20221106_155157171.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 65
Yea, it  feels like height should/ is more than diameter but that isn't the case. Diameter is a good 7-8cm more than height.

Without your measurements, there would be no way to tell the difference in drum volume between 7kg and 8kg LG models going by the external dimensions

A 7kg LG top loader has the dimensions 540 x 560 x 925 (l x d x h)

An 8kg LG top loader has the same dimensions

Yet the 8kg has a 9L larger drum

Who knew...

Last edited:
Well, when in doubt, look at the $$$. There's a good difference in prices for 7kg and 8kg which should point to something like this. Anyway, it's really shitty that these companies don't mention drum sizes in their specs.

I saw your measurements, compared external dimensions with 7kg when people asked because they were attracted by the price and assumed it was the same size drum as yours :(

The manual even says 8kg or lesser and shows the same water volume

I think 55L is livable, bigger is better but much better than 46L

What % of the drum would you consider a full load that cleans properly? Also, what is the water level chosen if you are able to tell?
Not hard at all. Fully soft. Yet no harm doing the cleansing once in 6 months or so.
But you will need to use percarbonate at least once every three months as described here

150gms of Vanish or 100gms Labogens with hot water meaning water at minimum of 50 degrees

Last edited:
What % of the drum would you consider a full load that cleans properly? Also, what is the water level chosen if you are able to tell?
I am not an expert when it comes to this. Typically, the water level is between 5-7 from 10 and it cleans properly imo

I am not an expert when it comes to this. Typically, the water level is between 5-7 from 10 and it cleans properly imo
I meant dry clothes. How much can you load the machine up and be satisfied with the wash? before the water comes in

50%, 60% or more. How much do you consider to be a full load

I have a test kit to measure PH and other stuff. It stays stable at 8.2 in one tank and 8.4 in the main one. I do nothing to change it.
Do you have a link to that kit?
Our country needs more such open testing. However tests could be more scientific. Eyeballing everything isn't a way to go.
It's already there

Last one deals with handwash powders. 2015 is the most relevant for machines. I was expecting them to do one for liquids but still not there.

They use this term 'weightage' for scoring and it changes over the years so I don't know how to compare powders from different years

Last edited:
Lots of things

How useful is the question? Helpful yeah, anything more?
Through google special search there seems to be even more tests.

Through google special search there seems to be even more tests.

With the washing powders they tested, I'd have preferred they test for the presence of enzymes and which kind were present. That has a direct bearing on how well any powder can deal with stains and more importantly the kind of stains.

They have this parameter 'active alkalinity'? no pH is mentioned. What does it mean then?

Alkalinity is a measure of the ability of a solution to neutralize acids to the equivalence point of carbonate or bicarbonate. As per the Indian Standard, the active alkalinity of detergent powder of Grade 1, 2 and 3 should be 15 per cent, 20 per cent and 30 per cent, respectively.

What use is 15%, 20% or 30% in terms of alkalinity to the consumer? More is better. ya

Then there is lather.

There is no specified requirement for lather in the national standards. In any case, foam generation should be high and at a faster rate. • Both Surf Excel Matic and Ghari scored highest on this parameter. Ariel Matic had the lowest score
Wait, what? I don't want high foam generation in a front loader. I want close to none. They say Surf excel matic generates the most foam and Ariel the least.

This is the exact opposite in my experience. Surf generates half the foam of Ariel. Ariel does clear up by the end of the second rinse though. My preference is for Surf on this parameter alone.

Then, about perfume. I can't tell by what they said whether I would pick one over another based on what they said.

Moisture content? What does that do for me?

The only somewhat useful parameter there is 'active ingredients. The detergent that has the most will clean the best. And you get what you pay for here. But the lack of specificity is to be noted. A detergent that has more surfactants and the greatest variety of enzymes will clean the best. There is no mention of that.

My final gripe is they provide a DIY detergent recipe at the end. Very important to note this is strictly for hand washing. This detergent will not work in a machine as it contains no surfactants. The difference between handwash detergents & machine wash is hand wash works by friction in the hands. There is no friction in a washing machine hence to clean the detergent must contain surfactants. A top loader cleans by stirring. A front loader by tumble action, like gently beating the clothes. No friction with either.

Using a handwash detergent will not clean well in a machine. It is meant to be used by hand only. From this you can also conclude hand wash detergents must not be used in a top load either unless explicitly mentioned. Even then if you get dingy whites that is the sign of a detergent that is not suited for a machine.

No mention of this in their write-up but I suppose one can assume it since they talk about putting it in a bucket.

I will leave you with one killer quote. Before Dyson got into vacuums, he tried to make a washing machine. Early 2000's

Whilst carrying out research, the Dyson r&d team discovered an astonishing fact--hand washing clothes for 15 minutes removed more dirt than a 67 minute cycle in the best washing machines currently available. Although washing machines have removed the drudgery of washing clothes they have vastly poorer performance than someone 300 years ago sat next to a river.

So he had the bright idea of creating a machine with drums that rotate in opposite directions. Cleans better the research showed. The CR01 Contrarotator. Sold for just over a thousand pounds. It had to. It was two machines in one.

It was a flop.

The CR01 is now a case study of how not to engineer products.

Watch this for more

Last edited:
Yes. The testing looks a bit flawed. And if you look at the scores, you'll see most of the tests have scores within the range of 10-20% only. The best is only 10-20% better than the worst, in most tests.

Take example of that horlicks, bournvita etc drinks comparison. They have given more weightage to sugar than, say, protein. Moreover, how having addictive substance in children's drink is a positive thing at all? They should have given negative weightage to sugar.

Maybe they didn't want to pissoff any brand.

Do you have a link to that kit?

This kit will measure PH upto 7.6, if your tap water PH is more you will need

What is going on in your head with all these detergents? I am very curious :)

Back