Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Realme offers top loaders since a year now. Who knew? They created a new section for appliances known as Tech Life. It's so new they still don't list it on their website. Looks like an FK exclusive.

Has the same features as the Panasonic with a heater and goes for less. Over 2k reviews on FK !! Really?

Misleading because each of the three models on sale 6.5, 7.5 & 8kg with heater ALSO have the same number of reviews :rolleyes:

So they lump reviews for all three products together and there seems to be no way to filter reviews for just one product. The only way is to check the 'permalink' of the individual review to figure out which model is being mentioned. It's more work compared to amazon. Does FK not allow uploading videos? I found none here. Think, I've seen videos in reviews on FK before.

Some people must have jumped for the earlier 6.5 & 7.5kg models which would have been closer to 12k only to discover a few months later the 8kg with more features and a little more came out.

The tub is the same size as Panasonic 8kg, the top water level is 55L so the inner tub is just under 45L. Has the same heater settings as the Panasonic too

He shows for which programs the heater can be used, Normal, Favourite, Pre Soak, Strong, Bed Sheets and Aqua Conserve but surprisingly not for the last cycle which is Tub Clean where you DO want the water as hot as you can get.

The kind of video I like where the machine does the talking. The wash action seems ok.

6:30 Carefully ramps up into the spin. Not too loud in operation. This is a light load though of thin clothes. It has an imbalance sensor so no out-of-balance spins should happen. Too many of those will put stress on the shocks and the drum could damage the outer tub if not caught in time.

Bought the Realme (Flipkart) 8kg Top Load with in-built heater for mom, it replaced the 14 year old basic Samsung 6.5kg TL. The outer body of these new machines is compact the old one used bigger plastic body, the older one also generated loads of noise. Here are the reasons for buying Realme instead of bigger brands:

1. Excellent value for money for a 8KG(55L) Top load with in-built heater, costs 15k but I got it for 12k after exchanging old machine+ HDFC card discount. Similar machines from bigger brands cost more than double, in the range of 25-28k.

2. This is a Flipkart washing machine, the brand name is licensed from Realme but everything else from manufacturing to sales to service is managed by Flipkart. Same machines are sold at difference prices by Flipkart for different licensed brand names. For example, this same 8KG heater model sells for 17k under Motorola brand name.

3. My service experience with Jeeves/Flipkart has been satisfactory till now and my experience with big brands have been nothing special to speak of. So I am not too bothered with the service aspect.

Bought the Realme (Flipkart) 8kg Top Load with in-built heater for mom, it replaced the 14 year old basic Samsung 6.5kg TL. The outer body of these new machines is compact the old one used bigger plastic body, the older one also generated loads of noise. Here are the reasons for buying Realme instead of bigger brands:
How well it cleans compared to the previous one is the question. Without the heater, I expect no difference as the wash action is very basic in this price range. With the heater should make a difference (in theory) provided it gets to temperature
1. Excellent value for money for a 8KG(55L) Top load with in-built heater, costs 15k but I got it for 12k after exchanging old machine+ HDFC card discount. Similar machines from bigger brands cost more than double, in the range of 25-28k.
That heater is the part I'm interested in. Any chance of testing it and measuring what temperature the water gets to at hot. I don't know what indication is given when that point is reached. Whether some light goes off or not.

they claim 40C but does it get there and by how long does it increase the wash cycle?

From a functionality point, this machine is flexible but durability is to be seen.
2. This is a Flipkart washing machine, the brand name is licensed from Realme but everything else from manufacturing to sales to service is managed by Flipkart. Same machines are sold at difference prices by Flipkart for different licensed brand names. For example, this same 8KG heater model sells for 17k under Motorola brand name.
Wonder who the actual OEM is then. FK does not make machines they subcontract to someone else to do it for them
3. My service experience with Jeeves/Flipkart has been satisfactory till now and my experience with big brands have been nothing special to speak of. So I am not too bothered with the service aspect.
Which city are you based in?

Last edited:
they claim 40C but does it get there and by how long does it increase the wash cycle?

From a functionality point, this machine is flexible but durability is to be seen.

Wonder who the actual OEM is then. FK does not make machines they subcontract to someone else to do it for them

Which city are you based in?

I will not be able to do any technical testing, will report here if anything fails. The washing machine is in Nagpur, my opinion is valid for Navi Mumbai and Nagpur, of course if someone lives in a small town or district then that changes the situation.

I will not be able to do any technical testing, will report here if anything fails. The washing machine is in Nagpur, my opinion is valid for Navi Mumbai and Nagpur, of course if someone lives in a small town or district then that changes the situation.
Perhaps not now but you will eventually go for a visit, right?

All you need is a food thermometer

drum looks like panasonic one. does not mean its a panasonic oem, probably means these companies are mixing and matching stuff to make a product.

drum looks like panasonic one. does not mean its a panasonic oem, probably means these companies are mixing and matching stuff to make a product.
Sounds like normal behaviour for the industry and not just this one, think cars for some time now at least abroad

The point he makes is bigger brands are outsourcing to cheaper OEMs and charging more due to brand recognition. And its hard to tell which. A brand that does this is not going to survive in the market as customer feedback will spoil its reputation over time.

Also, check this out to see the family tree. We don't have one for Indian brands as yet but it gives an idea of the practices going on.

Weird thing about that link is the reviews are not accessible :wideyed:

Otherwise, this Panasonic does not have a heater which I suspect has been added as an afterthought with that Realme product

FK does not allow to search reviews for specific terms. The handful of reviews I saw said it heated according to the manual.

This means nobody tested, because they don't know and swallowed everything stated with zero testing. Reviewers included.

Yeah it might have a heater that heats water, whether it gets to temperature is TBD

Last edited:
How about a review one month in :)

Does it meet expectations? You did not mention what you used before so n frame of reference
So a months review.
So as I said i did not use washing machine earlier so this was something different.
Cleaning is good better than me cleaning.
Most of the loads it finished in 1hr 30 min.
As suggested, 40c and 800 rpm is good enough. Never went above and my partner also knows the same.

After the wash we leave the washing machine to dry for about 8 hours with the lid open and then i smell it for any bad smell. Obviously it's new so no bad smell. Lol.

For water consumption can't get the details as I do not pay for water and it is included in my rent.

For electricity, since I applied for subsidy in Bangalore my bill is still showing 0 rs however, my electricity consumption is around 120-150 units so definitely want to check how many units this added cos the first month we ran it like it like 7-8 times.

So that is my first month review. All good and above my expectations.
---------
Thanks to to you for answering the questions. If I did not see this thread I would have definitely gone for compact washing machine as I don't like big machines. Also I was under the impression that it's a washing machine, it is meant to wash but now I know thanks to you that it needs its own cleaning.

Fun fact:- during the first wash I sat there entire 1hr 30 min to see it go. Lol. My partner laughed so hard.

Update:- went to see my meter. So looks like this month my flat consumed only 73 units. And my last month's consumption was 63 units without washing machine.
I have rice cooker, fridge, washing machine, desktop, laptops and phones plus the usual electric things like fans, bulbs etc.

Last edited:
Most of the loads it finished in 1hr 30 min.
Presumably, these are full loads. You want to do full loads as often as possible as it means less laundry which in turn means less wear and tear for the machine over time. Hence the recommend to buy a bigger volume machine for a little more than a smaller one.
After the wash we leave the washing machine to dry for about 8 hours with the lid open and then i smell it for any bad smell. Obviously it's new so no bad smell. Lol.
Excellent, you will never have to deal with mould. It takes time for the machine to dry out in the 70%+ humidity we have as you notice the clothes take much longer to dry.

Smell btw is when the machine is wet not when it is dry. Just after unloading. A machine that smells even when dry is filthy. I've come across a few like that and it amazes me people don't see a problem. It builds up gradually so I think people don't even notice it until it's pointed out. Have to put it to them, delicately :)

I keep a rag to wipe the inside glass and run the rag through the inside of the gasket after each wash. Over time lint collects in the gasket which holds onto water. So if you do it after unloading the machine every time the gasket will remain pristine for many years. In over seven years my gasket looks brand new.
For electricity, since I applied for subsidy in Bangalore my bill is still showing 0 rs however, my electricity consumption is around 120-150 units so definitely want to check how many units this added cos the first month we ran it like it like 7-8 times.
For reference, my consumption is roughly 15 units per month which is a mix of 40 & 60 degree washes.
So that is my first month review. All good and above my expectations.
Great. I was not sure what your impression would be since this is a first for you in many ways. You will notice the difference with a front loader more than other kinds of machines when dealing with stains.
Thanks to to you for answering the questions. If I did not see this thread I would have definitely gone for compact washing machine as I don't like big machines.
What is a compact machine for you btw? is that a semi-automatic
Also I was under the impression that it's a washing machine, it is meant to wash but now I know thanks to you that it needs its own cleaning.
Yeah, that's what everyone thinks. But you put dirty clothes in there and dirt accumulates over time and has to be removed on a regular basis. Get into the habit of doing it every three months and the machine should last a long time. Over ten years if your water is not hard. If it is there are ways around that too. But you have to measure your water hardness. This time of year early monsoon it should be soft presuming you get Cauvery water.

Run a boil wash every month with nothing for good measure. Cottons 95. It will sterilise the machine and acts a a double measure for keeping the tub clean.
Fun fact:- during the first wash I sat there entire 1hr 30 min to see it go. Lol. My partner laughed so hard.
It's a good habit to get into. As you learn how it should behave you will spot problems sooner. Hence the recommend for a machine with a clear glass door as opposed to a tinted one. Unfortunately for now higher-end front loaders in India whether from Samsung or LG all come with tinted doors. Clearly this is an aesthetics decision by the industrial design department but my preference is form should follow function and not the other way around. This is not the case with machines abroad, where clear glass options are available. It's always better to be able to tell at a glance rather than have to shine some torch in there.

For instance what a normal amount of foam should look like vs. more. This will tell you the difference between detergents. Some foam more than others. The ones that foam less are best, for a front loader as more foam cushions the tumble action and stain removal will be less. You will get more foam if you wash just towels say compared to normal clothes. Whether at the end of the second rinse, there is still too much foam in the water. Meaning you need to run an extra rinse & spin. This is why I say to watch dosing. The recommended dose I find is more than required if your water quality is decent. and is some national average.

I find it relaxing to watch videos on youtube of other people's machines to understand better how the machine performs. What the wash action is like. You will not understand whether the wash action is good or bad unless you learn to recognise the clothes movement.

For instance, whether it tumbles right. If the machine is not overloaded you should see the clothes tumble as the drum rotates rather than just going around. If it's the latter your wash quality will be affected. It's obvious when there is no tumble that the machine is overloaded and I see this quite often. People always say that the wash was fine but I'd prefer not to overload in the first place.

Also to get to know how each cycle performs. The movements differ depending on the program. You don't have to wash anything, you can see the movements if you run it empty too. Cottons compared with Baby wash say which is a gentle wash where the drum has this rocking left and right movement at high temperatures. Presumably, baby clothes are tough enough to handle higher temperatures but still soft that a cottons wash will wear them out faster than a gentle cycle.
Update:- went to see my meter. So looks like this month my flat consumed only 73 units. And my last month's consumption was 63 units without washing machine.
I have rice cooker, fridge, washing machine, desktop, laptops and phones plus the usual electric things like fans, bulbs etc.
So it's in the right ballpark of ten units. Don't do cold washes as many recommend to save money. I find the water temperature out the tap in the early morning to be low twenty degrees which just isn't warm enough to clean well. It will lead to less cleaning and more buildup in the machine. Requiring more tub cleans over time.

If you can afford a front loader then ten extra units per month should not break the bank.

Last edited:
@blr_p compact in washing machines means the 45mm ones. They look like they take less space.

Can you also tell me how to do boil wash?

As for now all is good with this machine.

Last edited:
Can you also tell me how to do boil wash?
Select the cottons program, and set the temperature to 95 degrees. Chose the Intensive option. The spin speed can be set to the slowest at 400 rpm

Run with the machine empty.

Electricity cost about 0.8 units. Round up to a unit or approximately how much it costs to run the hot water geezer once. I have the old tall Racold types. The newer more compact tankless geezers might be cheaper.

The tub clean cycle is of similar consumption as well but it only heats up to 65C for economic reasons as the water used is three times more than in a regular wash cycle.

Can someone suggest an inlet pipe extension up to 2mtr for my top load and also a drain pipe extension.

I need a pure extension and not interested into removing my existing connectivity and install the after market ones. The extension pipe should actually fit in my existing pipe thus extending the length.

Searched on amazon and esp. the inlet ones aren't extensions but purely new installations type.

Can someone suggest an inlet pipe extension up to 2mtr for my top load and also a drain pipe extension.

I need a pure extension and not interested into removing my existing connectivity and install the after market ones. The extension pipe should actually fit in my existing pipe thus extending the length.

Searched on amazon and esp. the inlet ones aren't extensions but purely new installations type.
i got a 2 meter extension pipe from local hardware store for 150. It fits perfectly to my LG machine which had just 1 meter pipe. If you dont want to remove the old pipe then you will need to buy one of those garden hose fitters to do a diy extension. Its costlier than just buying a new pipe and replacing the old one. you will have to buy pipe extra from hardware store too.

https://www.amazon.in/Total-Quick-Connectors-Material-THWS030301/dp/B07ZX9YKMQ/
See images in that listing on how to connect.

i got a 2 meter extension pipe from local hardware store for 150. It fits perfectly to my LG machine which had just 1 meter pipe. If you dont want to remove the old pipe then you will need to buy one of those garden hose fitters to do a diy extension. Its costlier than just buying a new pipe and replacing the old one. you will have to buy pipe extra from hardware store too.

https://www.amazon.in/Total-Quick-Connectors-Material-THWS030301/dp/B07ZX9YKMQ/
See images in that listing on how to connect.
1700392199147.png

I'm looking for the extension to be connected to the taps end as circled above.

If you connect through that part, there may be problem of pipes disconnecting or leaking due to water pressure. I removed that part and only connect the bottom part to connector.
You can still connect it to that part if you want. No water leakage when i tested it.
connector01.jpg

How i connect (top side)
connector02.jpg

That brass connector is for hose.

Hose to hose - https://www.amazon.in/MAXAIR-Fitting-Straight-Connector-Joiner/dp/B09XJBG5VG/

you need metal clips to hold pipe to that brass part. available in local hardware store. Clips are like 10 rupees each in shop. You can see similar bigger clip in picture. I think its called hose clip.

Last edited:
If you connect through that part, there may be problem of pipes disconnecting or leaking due to water pressure. I removed that part and only connect the bottom part to connector.
You can still connect it to that part if you want. No water leakage when i tested it.
View attachment 183410

How i connect (top side)
View attachment 183411

That brass connector is for hose.

Hose to hose - https://www.amazon.in/MAXAIR-Fitting-Straight-Connector-Joiner/dp/B09XJBG5VG/

you need metal clips to hold pipe to that brass part. available in local hardware store. Clips are like 10 rupees each in shop. You can see similar bigger clip in picture. I think its called hose clip.
I checked and the entire replacement makes sense and is worthy rather than these joint stuff. So, will better order an entire new pipe preferably 3 mtrs.

I now need an extension for the drain pipe, if you can suggest one.

I checked and the entire replacement makes sense and is worthy rather than these joint stuff. So, will better order an entire new pipe preferably 3 mtrs.

I now need an extension for the drain pipe, if you can suggest one.
For drain pipe - i don't know if we can join one pipe to another to extend them. I know we get such wm corrugated pipes in local shop too for cheaper than amazon prices. Please check the outlet diameter first.
The link is for a 3m pipe. Your wm is LG right? I think the outlet is 3cm in diameter. Just check it again. If it doesn't fit the end part of the outlet pipe you will need to do diy method which i mention below.
These need a clip to be connected to wm or one pipe to another but no one sells that steel clip. Using 2 zip ties will work to fit it properly.

i only wanted 1 foot extra so went the diy way with a broomstick plastic handle. I made a rectangle hole in exact size of the outlet L hook in the plastic handle and stuck the outlet L into it. The broom plastic is tapered so it does not some out. You can make holes in these thin plastic with a hot blade easily. Like cutting butter with a hot knife.

Can we use liquid detergent meant for TOP loading machine in FRONT loading machine and vice-versa ?
What is the difference in the detergents ?
If we can use detergent powder then I guess we can use either liquid in any machine, right ?

Back