[GO] Nook simple touch Black Friday Deal (~3.5k INR) Delhi NCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Nook today. Bluedart took their own sweet time to deliver it.

Got mine too.
Thanks @prateekS

congratulations!

and thanks to @prateekS again.

anyone knows application to convert manga jpgs to epub ? KCC created blank epubs

epub is not designed to contain large images.
for your manga images, the best way would be to convert them to either pdf or cbz.

btw, have you guys rooted your things?

Haven't rooted the nook till now . rooting and using the nook for android apps without noRefresh seems of no use ( too much screen flashing )
For my secondary usage of manga reading , for each page around 2-3 refreshes will be done in a android manga reader , which is half the time i will be spending in reading that page...

Other than that my usage is reading books , which the nook software does nicely . all my books are in epub.

@hotshot05 , just download this file using a download manager - link
connect usb to ur pc and transfer this file to nook's root storage folder.
then eject the nook drive and disconnect the usb. now put the nook to standby(pressing the back power button).
Takes around 5 mins for nook to detect the update and the update itself takes around 10 mins , after update nook will restart and take you to your main screen.

Haven't rooted the nook till now . rooting and using the nook for android apps without noRefresh seems of no use ( too much screen flashing )
For my secondary usage of manga reading , for each page around 2-3 refreshes will be done in a android manga reader , which is half the time i will be spending in reading that page...

Other than that my usage is reading books , which the nook software does nicely . all my books are in epub.

@hotshot05 , just download this file using a download manager - link
connect usb to ur pc and transfer this file to nook's root storage folder.
then eject the nook drive and disconnect the usb. now put the nook to standby(pressing the back power button).
Takes around 5 mins for nook to detect the update and the update itself takes around 10 mins , after update nook will restart and take you to your main screen.
Is there any issue with rooting if we upgrade to firmware v1.2.1 ?

So the flip cover finally arrived today :D

Was shipped on Dec 5. So took just under a month to arrive, which is close to double the time from what I've previously experienced. The cover was shipped in simple packaging with a single layer of bubble-wrap. As can be seen from the pictures, there's an inch long dent on the upper left side of the front cover. How it was caused, I am not so sure but nevertheless, it can be ignored. There's also some sort of glue residue on the upper edge of the front side. Tried wiping it with a soft wet cloth but it still can be seen faintly. Apart from that, there's nothing to nitpick with the flip cover.

Fits the Nook perfectly and even has the Nook signia on the front side and a 'nook' engraving on the back. Looks cool!
Functionality wise, the cover is very good. The NST has 4 slots (2 on top edge and 2 on bottom edge) and the flip cover makes use of one on either side to hold the NST with its clips (don't know the right term for them). It holds the NST quite firmly and exudes a feel of sturdiness.
Ergonomically, the cover is a delight to hold. Not slippery at all and the weight added is negligible. The front cover can be retracted in a way how we normally hold a book when reading single handed and as such, using the two buttons placed on the NST's left is straightforward. This was one of the concerns of expressed in this thread and needless to say, it's not an issue at all. The snaps below present a better picture of what I want to convey. They've been clicked from a phone cam so excuse the quality.

If I've missed out on anything, please shoot a question!

Attachments

• IMG_20140101_122014.jpg
    IMG_20140101_122014.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20140101_122223.jpg
    IMG_20140101_122223.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20140101_122321.jpg
    IMG_20140101_122321.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20140101_122432.jpg
    IMG_20140101_122432.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
@eternoMind Best possible news coming on the first day of the year. Will order it in a few days.
By the way, is the cover sturdy? If it is not, will buy 2 and keep 1 as a backup. The Nook will most likely last for 2-3 years and so don't want to go looking for a cover if this one breaks down withinin a year.

And should I use my credit card directly to buy from Aliexpress? Or should I use a VCC?(I have ICICI B2)

I would term the cover sturdy enough. If, in those 2-3 years, your NST is going to spend most of the time at home (or in one place), the cover should pull through without issues. In case of traveling, I still think the cover will last quite a while before you need to get another one. Personally speaking, will take a call on the need to buy an additional one after using this for a few months at least. That said, most of the usage will be in home environs only.

You can use either. I used a VCC so you can use B2 as well. Just be prepared for a month long wait for the cover to arrive though.

Btw, the pictures in my previous post don't do justice to the cover. Adding a few more here that highlight other things about it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 200
@hotshot05

Was searching for something else when I came across these for the NST on eBay.com. Seriously good options if you ask me. Make sure you consider them before ordering from AliEx.

Leather Case Cover for Barnes & Noble B&N NOOK 2 2nd Edition Simple Touch Reader

For B&N Nook 2 Simple Touch Reader Brown Soft Synthetic Leather Cover Case Pouch[DOUBLEPOST=1388575202][/DOUBLEPOST]Similar style ones have come up on AliEx as well. These weren't there a month ago :(

I had seen these already on AliEx even before I got the NST in hand. But I had not researched in detail about these. But on the eBay page, I saw all the pictures. Seems to be much better than your cover. The 2 clips on your cover does not give me much confidence. Most probably will buy it from eBay itself. Costs almost the same as yours after I factor in the International shipping charge.

Some questions for the Nook Simple Touch users

How has your experience been owning the nook?
is it worth a buy?(Kobo touch is available at ebay for 3.4K as opposed to Nook Simple Touch for 5.2K)
Have any of you rooted it to android?

It is an awesome device.AFAI remember kobo touch is 5" which i felt was too small.(hands on in croma).It is definitely worth it.
Havent rooted it,didnt really feel the need.

It is an awesome device.AFAI remember kobo touch is 5" which i felt was too small.(hands on in croma).It is definitely worth it.
Havent rooted it,didnt really feel the need.
How much and where did you buy it from?
is the text displayed sharp enough?
are there any page ghosting issues? (that is traces of previous page remaining even after page turn?)
can you change the font and size of text displayed?

Thanks for the reply :)

How much and where did you buy it from?
is the text displayed sharp enough?
are there any page ghosting issues? (that is traces of previous page remaining even after page turn?)
can you change the font and size of text displayed?

Thanks for the reply :)
There is no page ghosting issue. After 5-6 page turns, the whole screen will go black and refresh.

Text display is perfect. But don't know what will happen if your text is in a picture. For normal text, it is just like paper.

You can change the size of text. The text will reflow automatically. I don't remember it having the option of changing font. Will check and tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back