Got my first Amazon Kindle (2GB) Black

Yes, that's the one.

Yes, I have Nook Simple Touch and it's not backlit. Touch is okay, not as great as mobiles, but it gets the work done. Also there is 4 physical keys on sides to turn pages. Nook is more ergonomic in holding.
Have you tried the Kindle and compared it with the Nook? Or is the ergonomic thing just your opinion?
I think I read in a user review that it is a bit difficult to read on the Kindle when one is lying down on the bed. Is it better on the Nook?

From where did you buy it in India?
If I get it from Ebay India I will have to forego the warranty. Right?

Apparently the Glowlight version has a manufacturing defect. There is backlight bleeding in the lower right corner of the screen. And it is so distracting that most people return it for refund or exchange it. Almost 90% of the devices got this problem within a month.

The Nook Simple Touch looks really good since it runs Android and people have hacked it so that the Play Store can be installed on it. I would love to have an e-ink RSS reader.

@nimod Does Target ship to India? If not then how can we ship it to India? Shop n Ship?

wow, i never know about the leakage problem. thanks..
i was about to get the glow version.

i never used an intercontinental shipping service. my friends bring me things.

@Tenida Do you live in Kolkata? Do you know any physical store in Kolkata which has the Kindle on display? Since it will mainly be used by my mother, want her to check it out in person before I get it for her.

@Konquerror Do you have the Nook Simple Touch? Is the screen backlit on the Nook Simple Touch? And is the touch response good enough? To me, a touchscreen seems to be a much more intuitive way of flipping through the pages rather than physical buttons!
Yes, I live in Kolkata. I think Reliance Digital at Avani Riverside Mall keep kindle. https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=av...F-8&ei=ySZBUsShJYWQrQeqw4HYCQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg[DOUBLEPOST=1380001748][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have you tried the Kindle and compared it with the Nook? Or is the ergonomic thing just your opinion?
I think I read in a user review that it is a bit difficult to read on the Kindle when one is lying down on the bed. Is it better on the Nook?

You will get seller warranty if you will buy from ebay, India

nook e-ink readers have two versions. one without glow-light, other with glow light.

nook has an advantage over kindle: nook has microSD slot, kindle doesn't have.
kindle has an advantage over nook: kindle has voice, nook doesn't have.
all other specs are almost same.

target.com (in US) was selling nook glow-light version for $80 yesterday. not sure if they still have the stock.
Not all Kindle has voice support AFAIK only Kindle keyboard aka kindle 3 has this feature. But still 2GB (1.3GB) is enough for ebooks.
Nook simple touch looks better than vanilla kindle[DOUBLEPOST=1380002547][/DOUBLEPOST]

[DOUBLEPOST=1380003132][/DOUBLEPOST]Looks totally like a real paper :D[DOUBLEPOST=1380003405][/DOUBLEPOST]

Attachments

• CAM00127.jpg
    CAM00127.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
two of my friends have kindle touch 3G. both have voice.
But i am going for nook touch (no-glow). expect it to be in my hands by november :)

Last edited:

Well in Nook, you can see the sides are little wider compared to Kindle. Hence it's easy to hold even in lying on bed position. I got it from my US via one of my friends and hence no warranty. For $49, i took the risk :)

OP just wanted to confirm, which model did you get. I think Kindle was updated recently, do we get the updated Paperwhite in India or is still the older version of paperwhite?

@hotshot I would say get the official kindle from Amazon or Croma instead of ebay without warranty. Amazon provides amazing customer service and they also replace your kindle if something goes wrong after the warranty is over. Not sure if they will do it with the one you buy from ebay.

OP just wanted to confirm, which model did you get. I think Kindle was updated recently, do we get the updated Paperwhite in India or is still the older version of paperwhite?

@hotshot I would say get the official kindle from Amazon or Croma instead of ebay without warranty. Amazon provides amazing customer service and they also replace your kindle if something goes wrong after the warranty is over. Not sure if they will do it with the one you buy from ebay.
I got the 2012 version kindle. For paperwhite, i think. you will get the same old mode.

But warranty is very vital for e-ink device.
Are you sure of that? I was reading the user reviews of the Nook Simple Touch and Amazon Kindle(non paperwhite). Both are working well for over 1.5 years without the need for a replacement of any kind. I get it that these are electronic devices and can fail at any time. But according to the user reviews, the devices are pretty robust.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735?ean=9781400532711

IMHO Nook is built quite well. I purchased nook as I wanted to have touch screen. Also touch UI of nook is more polished than Kindle. Also most of my books were in ePUB format. So getting a Nook was logical for me.

Are you sure of that? I was reading the user reviews of the Nook Simple Touch and Amazon Kindle(non paperwhite). Both are working well for over 1.5 years without the need for a replacement of any kind. I get it that these are electronic devices and can fail at any time. But according to the user reviews, the devices are pretty robust.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735?ean=9781400532711
I am talking about the odd case. But nevertheless before buying the nook simple touch from the ebay seller just make it sure about the warranty policy.

Just check this out
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-E-Ink-Support/buy-India/td-p/1257353

For Nook simple touch, you cannot buy ebooks from barnes and noble marketplace outside USA but with kindle you can. Just my 2 cent.

Last edited:
I am talking about the odd case. But nevertheless before buying the nook simple touch from the ebay seller just make it sure about the warranty policy.

Just check this out
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-E-Ink-Support/buy-India/td-p/1257353

For Nook simple touch, you cannot buy ebooks from barnes and noble marketplace outside USA but with kindle you can. Just my 2 cent.
I will not be buying anything from the marketplace.
If I want to buy, I will buy it from Google Play and convert it so that it can be read. With the Nook, I will be able to read magazines as well. I use Magzter and have subscribed to a few magazines. It their app runs on this Android version, a lot of problems will be solved.

I will not be buying anything from the marketplace.
If I want to buy, I will buy it from Google Play and convert it so that it can be read. With the Nook, I will be able to read magazines as well. I use Magzter and have subscribed to a few magazines. It their app runs on this Android version, a lot of problems will be solved.
Then go ahead and buy the nook also use 7% off coupon. :)
buy from here
http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-Barnes-N...14903?pt=IN_iPads_Tablets&hash=item33771b6037

Back