Car & Bike Grand i10 v Xcent - Which one to choose?

Which one to pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^ Any idea about Celerio(i know i said no maruthi, but if i leave XCent apart, we have fewer choice and compared to VW,Skoda, Renault Maruthi have better service availability)? The waiting periods are insane and for MT is 2 months and for AT 9 months(i mean WTF!!!!)

Nope. by the time Celerio was released I left India. otherwise would have got a TD just for the heck of it. But then again its Maruthi. So... :)

The 9 months. Did you talk to any SA on the side? ;) ;) ;)

^^ I TDed it, and it is surely better than Alto, Wagon R and comfort too. But then this waiting period sucks and SA is not even ready to talk to us, when i try to ask him whether he can make it any sooner. From what i have seen, there are not much celerios on the road and demand is not that much. So why such insane waiting periods? Is this a gimmick from Maruthi?

Also 9 months waiting period for AT!!!!! Seriously????

its a gimmick. A very old Indian dealers trick. Know a lot of inside people who confirm this as a fact. Getting that confirmation for over 20 years. Used to be through family ... now through me an friends. :):).

^^ But what will they get out of it? I mean, not everyone is short temper like me and will surely wait for 2 months, but no one will wait for 9 months for some below-par AT version of the Celerio? They don't have AT version even for TD... :facepalm:

???. Premiums. Tonnes of money. 20k for swift extra and u get the car in 3 days. :). For activa it is 10~15k. to avoid the 9 month. Or for maruthi in general you need to get accessories worth above 50k. It depends on different dealers and all. Around 1L for Fortuner to avoid the ~5 month wait period.

For Benz, BMW, Audi... issue is different. Its almost always colors and variants. but the car will be readily available once that is sorted out. And for that we can scour the entire nation network.

None of these are not hearsay. PROVEN facts. Again and again and again..

I have a strict policy of not getting into buying this new model rush, Booking upfront, wait for half a year, at the mercy of dealer.

I usually buy cars that have been out for at least a year, or the first revision where they kink out the issues.

^^

Who said its just for an year? It goes on and on till there is any type of demand. Case on point enfield, fortuner, activa(this may be less now), Swift(to some point), Ecosport(biggest POS, Goes on to show how much Indians want just looks. Too damn plasticky and cramped interiors. who am i kidding R15, Fazer is making a killing for years.)

And then there is the cartel who books the cars and resell the booking for premiums. I heard even some govt agencies(canteens??) used to do(even now??) this albeit for some different offers, legal offers.

^ Waiting for an year is to know about the car s performance etc....

Using influence is the easiest way to get car, in my personal experience. Sad, but no other go.

?

Depends on ones definition of performance ;-) Like newer verna s handling is marginally better than ANHV. Or newer brio has less rattling and better cabin insulation (i think)..

My definition is from a normal person's definition. In India, under 10L cars are all but average. Only few number dictactes the sale -> how many days till delivery, price, discounts and mileage. Nothing else.

Verna, Honda city, Vento, Polo are all average cars with average specs to boot. Just placebo with few nomenclature signs on the boot lid.

Right, Mine's based on my definition, and i always knew i was not normal. Maybe extraordinary.

Anyways i have told what i meant by 'performance' before, and since this OT is not helping the OP, i'll stop ;)

Not everyone can afford a 10L+ car. Infact for most Indians, owning a single car in their life time is a dream and if and when they will buy one, it will not be a Merc or Audi but some with 5L or so price range. Infact i keep seeing posts on my company's internal forum where people keep asking for car suggestions for under 5L.
Also I am pretty sure these buyers don't care about performance and such, all they want is a car. Safety is also last thing in their mind and they would willingly spend more on a music system but won't get Air Bags installed.

I wanted to ask that is going for Diesel a good option at this time. I don't have a daily commute but I do run some 2000 odd kms a month, sometimes more.
I don't follow any news these days, but isn't there chatter that diesel will soon lose it's subsidy.

No.

The following is just my opinion. no one else.

Buying diesel as the price is low and all is getting irrelevant. There used to be a time when getting a diesel made sense. When the price was that low. Now what is the actual price difference between both fuels?. And the upfront money you need to fork up. And I hope everyone does know the diesel machines costs more to maintain. It takes more wear and tear than a petrol. My family and extended family is been using cars/jeeps/SUV for over 45 Years in India, UK, Germany, Singapore, South Africa. So does know about different terrain and different road conditions. My dad himself got his first car in 71 or so. He driven from E230 to M800. Land Rover to Safari. Turbo, non turbo diesels. Petrol turbo in a Octavia etc. My extended family has a pretty good construction firm in kerala. They have around 150 Tipper itself not counting the other heavy ones. From Leyland to Volvo to AMW. They all use and swear by petrol vehicles, most of em Japanese :). The rich ones does with Audi, Jaguar and Volvo.

Then again. these are my foolish opinions.

I personally owned only 2 petrol. i10 Magna and now the Sunny mid variant. Only time i considered a diesel was the XUV. and my mother said no to it. :( :(. There is no merit in getting diesel car nowadays for a normal person with a occasional trip here or there. Unless you munching miles that does offset the cost. I know someone who does nearly 10K a month. And he drives(driver drives, he sits in back :)) a Renault Scala or Scalia.

I actually would pick a naturally aspirated engine over any type of turbo. :). That's just me. I want the engine to have some life. I am an indian, I dont buy a car thinking in 5 years i will be driving a new model. :)

Thanks. The thing is our 12 yr old Palio has terrible average. 8-10 in city. Now my dad doesn't drive much and whatever he drives gets covered under the fuel supply he gets from his job but same can't be said for me. I test drove a Vento today and the diesel felt terrible to me, someone who hasn't driven much when it comes to diesel vehicles. The thing that stood out to me the most was the jitters and the heaviness of the clutch and this one was pretty well maintained by my friend.
We also have a A-Star and I routinely get 17kmpl with AC in city traffic with it due to my sane driving style. On highway I have even gotten 25kmpl out of that little gem of an engine.
So I am definitely more inclined towards a petrol car, but one which can provide a decent average when it comes to fuel consumption.

If you are testing vento means you gave good budget. Check out the Honda City Or Nissan Sunny. Between these 2 I will prefer the Sunny 2014 Model. Why? I am partial towards Sunny. :p :p. No.

Sunny is just an average car. My plus points were mother loved the back seat. NOTHING LIKE IT. Japanese and 2 day delivery. :)

In the list were vento, city and XUV. Vento was out coz we have good experience with maintaining germans AFTER its 10 years old and very well aware of issues and expense.
City was outed by me coz too many in road. but solid performer. and resale value is amazing. Expensive to maintain. but liveable. We lived with Opel astra and vectra. :(
XUV, my darling and only choice. My mother said no. :(. she said she simply wont climb into any car. I knew she meant it. Coz she never ever gets into the yeti we got.

Back