Car & Bike Grand i10 v Xcent - Which one to choose?

Which one to pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you are testing vento means you gave good budget. Check out the Honda City Or Nissan Sunny. Between these 2 I will prefer the Sunny 2014 Model. Why? I am partial towards Sunny. :p :p. No.

Sunny is just an average car. My plus points were mother loved the back seat. NOTHING LIKE IT. Japanese and 2 day delivery. :)

In the list were vento, city and XUV. Vento was out coz we have good experience with maintaining germans AFTER its 10 years old and very well aware of issues and expense.
City was outed by me coz too many in road. but solid performer. and resale value is amazing. Expensive to maintain. but liveable. We lived with Opel astra and vectra. :(
XUV, my darling and only choice. My mother said no. :(. she said she simply wont climb into any car. I knew she meant it. Coz she never ever gets into the yeti we got.

XUV is a pretty amazing car for sure. Frankly, I don't need a car. I am more than happy with the A-Star for my needs. I however end up spending around 15-20k a month on frivolous things. So I thought it would serve me better to get a car instead.
Infact I so love my Palio, I am even thinking of finding a good condition 1.6 model and buying it for around 1-1.5L. Then I won't have to worry about fuel averages any more because the smile on my face while driving that beast will be worth it.

P.S. - A- Star is my sister's car which I borrow too often and though she doesn't show it, it does irk her a bit when she has to call on a friend because of it. Another reason I want to get my own car.

^^

Then No. New car is not that thing. :) Definitely not a new car. ONLY reason i bought my new car in 3 years was coz my first car was totaled after a horrible accident.

Any moveable asset like cars loose value instantly. Either way u dropping money. Drop them in different things u like. Car != Status. At least i am that type.

^^

Then No. New car is not that thing. :) Definitely not a new car. ONLY reason i bought my new car in 3 years was coz my first car was totaled after a horrible accident.

Any moveable asset like cars loose value instantly. Either way u dropping money. Drop them in different things u like. Car != Status. At least i am that type.

I will have to get a car anyway in the next year or two. So instead of ending spending 15-20k every month on headphones, watches, clothes, shoes, sunglasses etc. would it not be prudent to get a City with a 13k EMI. I will definitely be using it a lot and you don't have to worry, I never buy anything because it is a status symbol. Infact no one in my family does.

I wanted to ask that is going for Diesel a good option at this time. I don't have a daily commute but I do run some 2000 odd kms a month, sometimes more.
I don't follow any news these days, but isn't there chatter that diesel will soon lose it's subsidy.

May or may not, but if your commute is 2000kms+ better go with diesel.

The difference between petrol & diesel car is too much and you need to drive it for 4-5 years for some reasonable distance to compensate the price difference. In your case, 2000kmsx12 = 24000kms / year, means, definitely go for diesel.

@Others
Decided to go with XCent petrol and booked one. I will keep this car for 2 years and will exchange for a better car. Man, taking decision on car is worst than taking decision about marriage. Too many cars lined up and hard to choose one which we need. Most of the time, we end up with more than what we want or we get something which we never use or just an fancy upgrade.

Last edited:
diesel vs petrol calculator. play till you are satisfied.
http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/

diesel cars were costly to maintain earlier but nowadays the maintenance cost difference is not much.
otoh diesel cars were cheaper to run due to fuel cost but that advantage seems to be vanishing in the near future.

How can the car choice be more difficult than marriage? You already mentioned an exchange after 2 years :)
Anyway, congrats on your new booking.

diesel vs petrol calculator. play till you are satisfied.
http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/

diesel cars were costly to maintain earlier but nowadays the maintenance cost difference is not much.
otoh diesel cars were cheaper to run due to fuel cost but that advantage seems to be vanishing in the near future.

How can the car choice be more difficult than marriage? You already mentioned an exchange after 2 years :)
Anyway, congrats on your new booking.

Thanks.

As for marriage, my parents took the headache of selecting girls and i did choose one from that. Here i need to do the selection and choose one. 2 work v 1. :D

My way of approaching this calculator is slightly different. Hear me out-

my city petrol cost me around 10.2, verna diesel cost us around 11.4, verna petrol 10.4. city and verna diesel completing 2 yrs on 2nd june.
City driven 9k till date, verna diesel 44k. This was then, if it was now instead of the verna i would have got the city diesel.
Now this is where it gets interesting. My service cost of both is almost identical. Verna has more bells and whistles compared to city, City with stiff suspension is the car i prefer to drive personally. Everyone else likes the verna. My city's overall avg is around 12.5 with a/c town side driving. Verna diesel is 16. The new city diesel goes as high as 17-18 in city. Petrol is 80, diesel is 60.

Assuming i drove a petrol car with an avg of 12.8 for 2000km per month, my petrol bill would be around 12500.
on the other hand a diesel with an avg of 17 for 2000 km per month is 7060 Rs.

Personally i would prefer paying the extra amount at the time of purchasing the car rather than paying 12500 - 7060= 5440 per month. Paying the monthly bill is a headache me or my dad dont prefer and hence a diesel too. petrol will be cheaper now but your monthly expenditure goes up whilst diesel you pay now and monthly bill goes down.
On the other hand if you think your running will be less and the gap between petrol and diesel monthly bills are less, just go with a petrol car.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Provided the diesel price doesn't go up or the subsidies for private car doesn't go away. Only if u take it away for public and commercial ones there is a issue. private ones will be extremely easy.

But in your case. I agree with what you said.

@edge111hussain Agreed. But the difference of 1.5L that i am going to pay now, will be useless, since i am not going to keep this car for a long time(max will be 3 years). And after 6 months, once i move out of this city, my usage will be around 500-700km/month or even less.
@m-jeri : Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I begin my columnist life with a column that essentially says if you are on a budget, get a petrol. And if you want fun and have some extra cash, buy a diesel.

Couldn't agree more. Except for the fun part just in diesel. Turbo Petrol. :). They are bonkers to drive.

I drove a manual Jetta last night and I kinda disliked the experience due to the turbo. It made me feel out of control. The acceleration definitely feels awesome but as a driver I feel much better with the linear acceleration a normal petrol car provides.

I drove a manual Jetta last night and I kinda disliked the experience due to the turbo. It made me feel out of control. The acceleration definitely feels awesome but as a driver I feel much better with the linear acceleration a normal petrol car provides.

Dont worry, you'll get used to it. The key to driving a turbo is to master your gearshifts to such an extent that you are always in the turbo band no matter what gear.

Back