Car & Bike Grand i10 v Xcent - Which one to choose?

Which one to pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finally took delivery of my Xcent S Petrol, yesterday and drove for around 110kms. Apart from low GC, no issue so far and everything works just they mentioned. The refinement of the engine is awesome and notable and i am loving it. When i drove this, i feel like it is a big leap from my Alto which serves me pretty well all these months. NVH levels are excellent and i hardly hear anything inside cabin while on highways as well as city. Overall, i am a happry Xcent owner. Thanks for all who helped me to choose petrol variant. :)

@rajkumar_pb

Although i am comparing apples to oranges but if considering between Honda Brio AT and Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O) which would you say is more bang for buck ? I know that there is like 1.2 lakh difference between the 2 and one is hatchback and one is a sub 4 meter sedan (sort of).

I just read a review on team bhp of the Xcent automatic SX(O) and was mighty impressed with it. Have seen none of the cars in reality (as in by sitting inside).

Asking you because in this thread you asked between hatchback and sort of sedan. The AT Xcent mentioned does has ABS and 2 airbags which I like (brio also has).

@raksrules

SX(O) AT comes with 2 airbags + ABS + ACC + Reverse Camera. What do you like from Xcent AT. I test drove one and I can say, it easily one hell of a car for city drive. You will never feel under-powered. Car take some time once you put your feet in gas pedal, but after that it zip past the other vehicles. I never test drove Brio, or any other AT variant other than this and on paper, Xcent looks much more value for money and it is better than Brio in space, comfort and features.

I can see in my city, a few Xcent AT and from the owner's POV, car is good purchase, and in terms of mileage, no big difference from MT. If you can shell out some extra bucks in initial payment, then it will be a good purchase.

If you feel this is too damn costly, look for Grand i10 AT, which is cheaper and basically an bootless Xcent, with two major difference ABS+Airbags.

@rajkumar_pb

You see in my home whenever we talk about cars, everyone wants something

Wife - Car should look good
Brother - Car should look good, should be loaded in features, console / dashboard should be good looking
Me - Safety - 2 Airbags and ABS must. AT also required.

Grand i10 AT is good but no safety is downer. Brio has things I want but wife/brother have ruled out because they don't like looks. Also Honda's dashboard is nothing to talk about.
Xcent fits everyone's wants here I feel (haven't asked them yet). I know it means spending close to 8.5 Lakh for the top AT variant. But then I am not someone who changes cars (i don't even have one now). Also I am not enthusiast so i don't want that fun to drive and such things. Power and such also not something I care.
It should be functional and work as expected. City driving and traffic driving should be stress free.
I am going to now read team bhp review on xcent and see what they say.
I am not even sure what car i will buy and when but since cars are not like mobile phones where new model comes every month from some manufacturer, I am doing my research now only which may help me with my decision making when we actually decide to buy one.

Last edited:
@raksrules

Since you mentioned clearly your requirements, Xcent AT is way to go for you, considering it have ABS+2 Airbags. Also, it is an gem for city driving. Car indeed looks good, spacious and loaded with gizmos which you may never use, but it is there for you.

I recently bought a second hand vehicle, to learn driving for Indian roads.
My requirements are exactly same, need AT and ABS+Airbags+ preferably Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Xcent looks good :thumbs up: and Ecosport AT has all these features.

But EcoSport is a lot more costly than Xcent. Comparing these 2 is not good idea. Other option, if you are looking for AT is, Nissan Micra CVT. Although space is little less and dashboard looks blunt and plain, it is CVT and offers decent FE. The OTR will be around 7.5L.

But EcoSport is a lot more costly than Xcent. Comparing these 2 is not good idea. Other option, if you are looking for AT is, Nissan Micra CVT. Although space is little less and dashboard looks blunt and plain, it is CVT and offers decent FE. The OTR will be around 7.5L.

But ASS is a concern. As a first time car owner I would never want to run pillar to post to get something fixed or for servicing.
Hyundai / Maruti service centers and showrooms are like now in each and every corner. It's like there is one always near to your home (at least in big cities).

Wow. 8.5L is a lot of dough for a tiny car like Xcent when you can get a Honda City with 2 Airbags for similar price. They are really milking the customer in name of AT.
Also what is the general view about diesels these days. I wouldn't go near a Honda Diesel, having personally suffered because of it's NVH levels. With the govt looking to do away with subsidy on diesel, I am personally looking to wait and see how that plays out. Was never in favor of a diesel car for myself but running of nearly 3k kms a month demanded it. Currently using a Petrol A-Star with FE of 19 on the highway and 16 in the City with AC on all the time.

Wow. 8.5L is a lot of dough for a tiny car like Xcent when you can get a Honda City with 2 Airbags for similar price. They are really milking the customer in name of AT.
Also what is the general view about diesels these days. I wouldn't go near a Honda Diesel, having personally suffered because of it's NVH levels. With the govt looking to do away with subsidy on diesel, I am personally looking to wait and see how that plays out. Was never in favor of a diesel car for myself but running of nearly 3k kms a month demanded it. Currently using a Petrol A-Star with FE of 19 on the highway and 16 in the City with AC on all the time.

8.5L is too high, but considering the tight parking space, I can easily park in places where my friend with City has lots of difficulties due to it's size. And no, we are not taking about diesel here. And Xcent AT is petrol one. Xcent is top contender in mileage criteria and my petrol Xcent gets me good 16km/l with mixed city/highway(50/50) driving conditions. At times, I use to revv hard and also riding in B2B traffic, still managing decent figures. But I don't think City petrol will fetch me like that.

Finally, for running >1500km per month, going for petrol is not recommended.

I also think It is high but for people looking at convenience of automatics, we have to fork out money. I cannot buy a car that I don't like and then hate it everyday.
Also I am not sole decision maker and have to take everyone's opinions.

^^ +1. At the time of purchase, my mind was set for Xcent and eventhough there are lot of petrol hatch/sedan by Maruthi which is very VFM and offering good FE, I felt the same way. Now I ended up buying Xcent and I am not regretting it. I enjoy the car everyday and it is fun and relaxed to drive with some feel of premium offering, whereas Maruthi interiors felt like some cheap cars. So it depends on our needs as well as our desire and love towards the car.

You should go with Xcent AT and I am sure you will not regret about this decision.

@rajkumar_pb

Yeah I have to buy soon but I am not sure when. There are certain other things happening due to which I have sort of Paused my decision of car buying for now. But yes my brother is hell bent on buying one soon. I am also confused whether to pay 100% upfront or take loan (even if I have say 8.5 Lakh to spend). I have opened a thread on that as well in Auto zone here.

Back