Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plz suggest a decent GPU & PSU.

• What is your budget?

12K. Can add around 2K if it makes a better deal.
  • Current rig Specs

CPU : Intel Core i5 @ 3.20GHz

Motherboard : Intel DH55TC

RAM : 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

Monitor : LG 18.5" W1943C(No plans to upgrade to hi-res displays)
  • Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?

Need some help here also
  • Primary use?

Hardcore Gaming.
  • What resolution do you game on?

1366*768
  • Interested in Crossfire/SLI?

No
  • Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

Yes

Thx in advance.

Please quote the costs of ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB and 1GB versions.

I am using the default frontech 500W power unit which came along with the cabinet. Would this support 4870? heard that frontech PSUs have a bad reputation of getting damaged easily !!

FAZ3R said:

• What is your budget?

• Current rig Specs

Need some help here also
  • Primary use?

Hardcore Gaming.

1366*768

No

Yes

Thx in advance.

I am using the default frontech 500W power unit which came along with the cabinet. Would this support 4870? heard that frontech PSUs have a bad reputation of getting damaged easily !!

HD 5770 is the new HD 4870..

your resolution seems pretty low.. a HD 5770 would be more than enough..

it should cost you around 9k..

you need to change your PSU too..

a corsair vx450 ~ 3.5 would be perfect..

My friend is looking for a graphic card around 4K.(new only).

He will buy it from CTC Hyderabad

SO. Which is good card at that price?

Usage: Medium gaming,multimedia(HD movies) and abit of maya&3ds max(Just in learning stage now)

Resolution: 1366x768

RIG specs:

Dual core 2.5GHz

2GB Ram(Will upgrade to 4GB Soon)

I think a local PSU-Did not specify

The 6870 is priced lower then 5850 & yet it is a faster Card

Am I correct that 6870 offers better performance & value for money as compared to a 5850 ?

Any cons in the 6870 ?

harishgayatri said:
When will be the GT 430 from nVidia's come to India.

I need it for my HTPC.
Sorry, no idea about the exact date..

but very soon i suppose..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

teja92 said:
My friend is looking for a graphic card around 4K.(new only).

He will buy it from CTC Hyderabad

SO. Which is good card at that price?

Usage: Medium gaming,multimedia(HD movies) and abit of maya&3ds max(Just in learning stage now)

Resolution: 1366x768

RIG specs:

Dual core 2.5GHz

2GB Ram(Will upgrade to 4GB Soon)

I think a local PSU-Did not specify

HD4670 eyes closed.

:)

shravank30 said:
The 6870 is priced lower then 5850 & yet it is a faster Card

Am I correct that 6870 offers better performance & value for money as compared to a 5850 ?

Any cons in the 6870 ?
Thats the way ati does its pricing..

The HD 6870 was not made to beat the HD 5850, it was made to beat the GTX 460 1024 mb ..

hence the pricing..

Yes, its a better performing card than HD 5850 (slightly) and surely more value for money..

going through the reviews the only drawback i see is that its an average overclocker..

but i guess, thats the story of almost all high end cards.. :D

Hi! I am trying to buy a graphics card.
Whats your budget?
30000 max. But i dont have money to throw. So i want the best deal. I am expecting it to be less than 30000.

Current Rig Specs:
Intel Core2Quad 9400 2.67Ghz 6mb L2 cache
Motherboard Intel dg33fb
RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2233 22inch.
Built in Graphics(lol)

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?
I am actually not sure. I am using the stock psu that came with the standard mercury cabinet. It should be 500w.

Primary Use?
Hard Core Gaming, VFX and animation work.

Resolution being used.
1920x1080.

Interested in xfire/sli?
No

Open to both nvidia and ati?
yes.

I want to play crysis at my resolution on all very high(enthusiast). I will not be changing the card for 3 years. So it should be able to play the games that come in the next 3years at least on medium or high if not very high. I think 5970 is the only way to go But I am not able to find a good deal. And will my psu be sufficient and also will the 5970 fit in a standard cabinet?
I can wait till New Year max, or may be a bit more if it is worth while. And how about asking someone to buy it at US and asking them to get it from there. Will that attract any taxes when they come back at the airport and is it advisable and worthwhile? Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make myself clear.

@pranay: You seriously to need to get a bigger Cabinet, a better PSU and a GPU.

I would suggest:

CM 690- Rs. 4k

HX620- Rs. 7k

Wait till the GTX580 *if it does at all* releases along with the 69xx series of ATI cards then you can decide.

pranaywhiz said:
Hi! I am trying to buy a graphics card.

Whats your budget?

30000 max. But i dont have money to throw. So i want the best deal. I am expecting it to be less than 30000.

Current Rig Specs:

Intel Core2Quad 9400 2.67Ghz 6mb L2 cache

Motherboard Intel dg33fb

RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2233 22inch.

Built in Graphics(lol)

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?

I am actually not sure. I am using the stock psu that came with the standard mercury cabinet. It should be 500w.

Primary Use?

Hard Core Gaming, VFX and animation work.

Resolution being used.

1920x1080.

Interested in xfire/sli?

No

Open to both nvidia and ati?

yes.

I want to play crysis at my resolution on all very high(enthusiast). I will not be changing the card for 3 years. So it should be able to play the games that come in the next 3years at least on medium or high if not very high. I think 5970 is the only way to go But I am not able to find a good deal. And will my psu be sufficient and also will the 5970 fit in a standard cabinet?

I can wait till New Year max, or may be a bit more if it is worth while. And how about asking someone to buy it at US and asking them to get it from there. Will that attract any taxes when they come back at the airport and is it advisable and worthwhile? Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make myself clear.
wait till the end of the year..Both nvidia and ati will be coming up with their top of the line GPU's..

and yes, you will need to change both your cabinet and PSU.

FAZ3R said:

• What is your budget?

• Current rig Specs

Need some help here also
  • Primary use?

Hardcore Gaming.

1366*768

No

Yes

Thx in advance.

buy nvidia MSI GeForce GTS450 1GB DDR5 8.2k

Palit GTS450 Sonic 1 GB DDR-5 8.2k

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 450 ZT-40501-10L 1GB GDDR5 Graphics 8.2k

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 450 AMP! Edition 9.3k

and buy corsir cx400 2.7k or vx450 3.7k or Gigabyte Superb 460W 2.1k or Coolermaster Real Power Pro 460W 3.7k

At bottom :-

ragzdiablo said:
After the huge success of the mobile phone advisor thread, I thought of starting this as more than 90% of members are gamers.:D

So here I'll just suggest you the best graphic card according to your requirement.
Other members are requested to correct me if they think I'm wrong in some suggestion.

PLEASE USE THIS TEMPLATE FOR ASKING YOUR QUERY
  1. What is your budget?
  2. Current rig Specs
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Monitor
  3. Which PSU/SMPS will you be using?
  4. Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
  5. What resolution do you game on?
  6. Interested in Crossfire/SLI?
  7. Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

Best Graphics Cards in their budget

I will be advising two cards in each budget due to availability issues and members inclination to nvidia or ati.

UNDER RS.2,500

a)9400gt
b)HD4350

UNDER RS.5,000

a)9600gt(keeping in mind you have a branded PSU)
b)HD4670(if you cannot spend extra on a branded PSU)

NOTE:IF budget can be extended by around RS.1000, a 9800gt is a much better deal

UNDER RS.7,500

a)GTS250
b)HD4850

GTS250 is a bit better but will set you back by RS.500-700 more.

UNDER RS.10,000

a)GTX260 216 sp
b)HD4870

NOTE:GTX260 maybe a bit costlier than RS.10,000.

UNDER RS.15,000

a)GTX275
b)HD4890

THESE ARE JUST BASIC SUGGESTIONS..
FOR MORE SPECIFIC QUERIES PLEASE LEAVE IN YOUR REPLY USING THE TEMPLATE PROVIDED.

NOTE : MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED TO HELP ME AS IM NOT THE BEST PERSON TO DO THIS.:)

@ ragzdiablo, can you please update the first post. A year is a long time if I'm not wrong in the Gaming rig/hardware world.

What I would suggest you is to do 2 things :-

a. Make a clear distinction between the naming schemes of ATi and Nvidia. Not everybody knows from the model nos. IIRC the GT naming convention applies to Nvidia while the HD series comes from formerly ATI and soon to be branded AMD.

Now going out on a limb here, atleast on Nvidia there seems to be something called a GeForce GT210 which seems to have taken over.

Just as a sheer example.

http://techshop.in/store/point-view...card-buy-online-india-p-4460.html?cPath=320_4

Now don't know whether the GT210 is a better GPU then GT9600/9600GT ? Would do some wikipedia stalking :p

Ok, for my setup here's my current rig/system :-

2.7 Ghz Westdale 45nm Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB DDR2 Transcend 667 Mhz RAM, a no-name 450 W PSU and I don't want to change the PSU (atleast not yet) . Also not going to add memory at present time as well.

I do know that one can have higher memory on the cards as well.

Another query which is a good builder as there seem to be quite a bit of competitiveness in the business, there is Palit, Zotac, XFX and god knows what else. Which of these run in India and more precisely readily available in the Indian and especially Pune market ?

shirish said:

2.7 Ghz Westdale 45nm Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB DDR2 Transcend 667 Mhz RAM, a no-name 450 W PSU and I don't want to change the PSU (atleast not yet) . Also not going to add memory at present time as well.

Another query which is a good builder as there seem to be quite a bit of competitiveness in the business, there is Palit, Zotac, XFX and god knows what else. Which of these run in India and more precisely readily available in the Indian and especially Pune market ?
1.Monitor?
4.Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
5.What resolution do you game on?
7..Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

U havent answered these questions :) Do so to get a good suggestion.
I would suggest the Sapphire HD4670 512MB DDR3 ~ 3.85k (Sapphire is AMD/ATI premium partners and also the A.S.S in India handled by Aditya infotech is good)
PSU upgrade to FSP SAGAII 350w/ Zebronics Real watts Pro 350w ~ 1.5k (Really important IMO. Its the most important component of the PC. Dont compromise on that)

Before the recent forum overhaul to the latest vbulletin a couple of months back a post cant be edited after a certain no. of days. Thats the reason Ragz was unable to edit the first post.
But now its possible IINM and i guess Ragz may not be aware of it. I would also suggest Ragz to edit the first post with the latest recommendations :)

shirish said:

@ ragzdiablo, can you please update the first post. A year is a long time if I'm not wrong in the Gaming rig/hardware world.

What I would suggest you is to do 2 things :-

a. Make a clear distinction between the naming schemes of ATi and Nvidia. Not everybody knows from the model nos. IIRC the GT naming convention applies to Nvidia while the HD series comes from formerly ATI and soon to be branded AMD.

Now going out on a limb here, atleast on Nvidia there seems to be something called a GeForce GT210 which seems to have taken over.

Just as a sheer example.

http://techshop.in/store/point-view...card-buy-online-india-p-4460.html?cPath=320_4

Now don't know whether the GT210 is a better GPU then GT9600/9600GT ? Would do some wikipedia stalking :p

Thanks for the suggestion man,

will surely work on it once im through with my exams.. :)

yeah right, earlier only the mods were able to edit old post..

dint notice that i can do that now..have my exams till the end of the month and hardly get time come online..

it will be the first thing ill do once im free..

In-line :-

DarkAngel said:
1.Monitor?
4.Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
5.What resolution do you game on?
7..Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

1. Monitor right now CRT but going to move to 18.5/19" some LCD Monitor and I guess that's when I will picking up the card. It doesn't make sense to invest now and rue later I guess.

4. Primary use = Casual gaming and maybe hardcore gaming as well - Would Baldur's Gate (which I'm downloading currently would count as hardcore gaming, I don't know ? ) Movies also yes. HTPC maybe but then I guess it would be lot to spend upon to get an HTPC thing happening.

5. What resolution? The only game I have played or am playing so far is the Aveyond series on this comp. and that one just has windowed mode and Full-Screen.

Aveyond series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. Both are good on Windows but ATi is supposed to be better on GNU/Linux and I'm using both the OS'es from time to time.

DarkAngel said:
U havent answered these questions :) Do so to get a good suggestion.
I would suggest the Sapphire HD4670 512MB DDR3 ~ 3.85k (Sapphire is AMD/ATI premium partners and also the A.S.S in India handled by Aditya infotech is good)
PSU upgrade to FSP SAGAII 350w/ Zebronics Real watts Pro 350w ~ 1.5k (Really important IMO. Its the most important component of the PC. Dont compromise on that)

Understood, would look into the PSU issue as well. Btw was just looking into the Comparison of Nvidia chipsets

Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From an untrained graphic card person's perspective, my system seems to be good for almost all the cards as almost all the cards are PCIe 2 x16 compatible ? Its just matter of throwing money as to how better graphics card I have and a good heavy-duty PSU or are there some other things which I haven't thought of as well ?

DarkAngel said:
Before the recent forum overhaul to the latest vbulletin a couple of months back a post cant be edited after a certain no. of days. Thats the reason Ragz was unable to edit the first post.
But now its possible IINM and i guess Ragz may not be aware of it. I would also suggest Ragz to edit the first post with the latest recommendations :)

Oh, this means that editing post became an option only few days/weeks/months back. I came onto the fora after a long long time.

ragzdiablo said:
Thanks for the suggestion man,
will surely work on it once im through with my exams.. :)

yeah right, earlier only the mods were able to edit old post..
dint notice that i can do that now..have my exams till the end of the month and hardly get time come online..
it will be the first thing ill do once im free..

Hi Ragz,
No issues, I should infact apologize. I didn't know that only now with the latest vbulletin (don't really know when, would be interesting to know) update one is able to update/edit the post.

Best of luck with the exams. Would check back perhaps in a week or two :)

pranaywhiz said:
Can someone tell me whether this is a good deal and also about the complications that I might face if I ship this to india and also about the warranty.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100280SR Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Its better you buy it from india..
it will probably get caught in the customs..

and the best option would be to wait till the end of the year.
GTX 580 is already here, ati will strike again soon.

A 30k card is sure to serve you for a good time..better to spend it on the latest.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back