Green Delhi? NGT cracks down on govt. diesel vehicles.

^then what is your point exactly anyway? Are you saying that what they are trying to/doing is useless? That its better they dont do any "short term solutions" and to instead concentrate on the long term while letting the pollution have its way now? Because i have no idea.

^^ yes, that's what i wrote in that loooooooong post.

pollution didn't happen in 1 month. solution can't happen in 1 month.

people will keep on buying cars.

want to do something... do something concrete.

else return my taxes. i've paid huuuuuuge taxes. if govt returns my taxes, i can buy citizenship of another country. :p

Then you're missing the point here. Because the govt. is not trying to filter/clean the air in 1 month/year/whatever as, you yourself said, its simply not viable, but only trying to "cut down"(control the pollution rate) on the emission level. As for the general public, you can't please everyone.

it's all kejri uncle's political drama. he wants to take control of delhi police, which he can't even in his dreams. at this moment, delhi police is unable to handle anything substantial, let alone looking at every number plate and guessing the fuel type. he is doing this just to show SC that he did do something to tackle the increasing pollution levels. if he really wanted to curb the pollution then he should've done it for all kinds of vehicles. it's easier to target the private car owners because those guys don't have the time for dharnas etc. if he had included 2 and 3 wheelers then delhi at this moment would be seeing lots of processions. too bad for his image.
Hater spotted. Message ignored.

people will keep on buying cars.
@iPwnz
banning private vehicles will achieve nothing. they are harassing office goers just for the sake of doing something.

yes, they can clean the air significantly in 2 days. just ban everything that burns fossil fuel.

there are ways to do things. delhi govt is like a mad bull running amok.

Hater spotted. Message ignored.

lover spotted... condoms sent to your home!

Better than sitting stationary and letting kids develop asthma and all sorts of diseases cause of the pollution, right? If you have better and practical solutions than do share. Im sure they are breaking their head on finding the optimum solution. Your reasonable and workable brilliant ideas are welcome.

I just mentioned what would happen. There are others doing the thinking on my behalf, and it should be fine.

@iPwnz
banning private vehicles will achieve nothing. they are harassing office goers just for the sake of doing something.

yes, they can clean the air significantly in 2 days. just ban everything that burns fossil fuel.

there are ways to do things. delhi govt is like a mad bull running amok.

lover spotted... condoms sent to your home!
Lol an elite genius. I'm amazed, what are you still doing here on TE when you should've been on an environmental strategy panel lel.

I don't get why people have to get personal. Have been seeing this in a lot of threads of late. It always stops me from participating.

He has put some logical points in front of you and instead of trying to discuss those points people just start calling each other names. How is that good for the discussion.

Brussels' Mayor had once said - A developed nation is not one where everyone travel in their own car, it's one where despite owning a car people prefer to use public transport.

But the thing is that the public transport needs to be capable first for the citizens to prefer using it.

My Dad took VRS just because he was being transferred to Delhi. He is overweight and he couldn't have travelled in the Metro or by buses standing all the way. Compared to tier-2 cities, Delhi has a much better public transport system, but it still isn't equipped to handle the load.
I am an AAP supporter myself but they do make some childish mistakes sometimes. If they were feeling perturbed by the issue of pollution, they should have formed a long-term plan. They could easily have taken a year or so to strengthen the public transport system and then chosen to take drastic measures like such bans.
These bans are really needed all over the world but not before you can provide a working, viable alternative to the people.

Also these so called developed nations only want others to curb their CO2 producing habits.
It is a well known fact that rearing cows for beef and other meat producing activities contribute to over 51% of the CO2 emissions of the world. Not only that, these animals also produce Methane and Nitrous Oxide which have a much higher GWP (Global Warming Potential). CO2 has a GWP of 1 whereas Methane is 28 and N20 is 298. This means that both these gases are 28 times and 298 times more harmful than CO2 respectively.
Recently even China has started consuming Beef and the value of beef market in China alone is estimated to cross $60 billion by next year.
Projections show that by 2050, 465 million tonnes of meat will be required to satisfy the growing population. Human population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050. But no concern is bring raised on how to feed the 120 billion animals expected to be reared for meat cultivation in the same period.

Now I myself am a non-vegetarian. I have seen many discussions on veganism. I specifically remember one comment from such a discussion where one Vegan was trying to coax other vegans by telling them not to force their beliefs on others as he believed that the world will turn Vegan on it's own. I now kinda see the wisdom in his words. If people today are ready to stop using personal vehicles for a better future they might turn Vegan one day for the very same reason.

OT - This was being discussed in some other thread but I didn't participate over there because of the afore-mentioned name calling. I kinda believe that all religious texts have a base in science. Many famous scientists have been known to be fascinated by the Bible. I am of the belief that some of the teachings have deep scientific reasoning behind it. Hindu religion teaches of abstaining from eating beef. If the world, one day has to stop eating beef in order to survive then we an certainly concur that their was a very deep scientific reason behind such teachings.
The only problem is that these teachings have been meddled with so much by selfish people over centuries that it is difficult to differentiate between the true and the false teachings. It will only be humanity's loss that we will have to learn them again the hard way.

I don't get why people have to get personal. Have been seeing this in a lot of threads of late. It always stops me from participating.

He has put some logical points in front of you and instead of trying to discuss those points people just start calling each other names. How is that good for the discussion.

Brussels' Mayor had once said - A developed nation is not one where everyone travel in their own car, it's one where despite owning a car people prefer to use public transport.

But the thing is that the public transport needs to be capable first for the citizens to prefer using it.

My Dad took VRS just because he was being transferred to Delhi. He is overweight and he couldn't have travelled in the Metro or by buses standing all the way. Compared to tier-2 cities, Delhi has a much better public transport system, but it still isn't equipped to handle the load.
I am an AAP supporter myself but they do make some childish mistakes sometimes. If they were feeling perturbed by the issue of pollution, they should have formed a long-term plan. They could easily have taken a year or so to strengthen the public transport system and then chosen to take drastic measures like such bans.
These bans are really needed all over the world but not before you can provide a working, viable alternative to the people.

Also these so called developed nations only want others to curb their CO2 producing habits.
It is a well known fact that rearing cows for beef and other meat producing activities contribute to over 51% of the CO2 emissions of the world. Not only that, these animals also produce Methane and Nitrous Oxide which have a much higher GWP (Global Warming Potential). CO2 has a GWP of 1 whereas Methane is 28 and N20 is 298. This means that both these gases are 28 times and 298 times more harmful than CO2 respectively.
Recently even China has started consuming Beef and the value of beef market in China alone is estimated to cross $60 billion by next year.
Projections show that by 2050, 465 million tonnes of meat will be required to satisfy the growing population. Human population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050. But no concern is bring raised on how to feed the 120 billion animals expected to be reared for meat cultivation in the same period.

Now I myself am a non-vegetarian. I have seen many discussions on veganism. I specifically remember one comment from such a discussion where one Vegan was trying to coax other vegans by telling them not to force their beliefs on others as he believed that the world will turn Vegan on it's own. I now kinda see the wisdom in his words. If people today are ready to stop using personal vehicles for a better future they might turn Vegan one day for the very same reason.

OT - This was being discussed in some other thread but I didn't participate over there because of the afore-mentioned name calling. I kinda believe that all religious texts have a base in science. Many famous scientists have been known to be fascinated by the Bible. I am of the belief that some of the teachings have deep scientific reasoning behind it. Hindu religion teaches of abstaining from eating beef. If the world, one day has to stop eating beef in order to survive then we an certainly concur that their was a very deep scientific reason behind such teachings.
The only problem is that these teachings have been meddled with so much by selfish people over centuries that it is difficult to differentiate between the true and the false teachings. It will only be humanity's loss that we will have to learn them again the hard way.
uploadfromtaptalk1450257639311.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1450257658524.jpg

SC has banned all new vehicles registration with above 2L engine capacity from March 2016..
Only diesel engines..

http://m.ibnlive.com/news/india/sc-...m-using-delhi-as-a-transit-route-1177781.html

SC saved Kejrival from adding up to his Arrogant image, imagine the hue & cry had state government done this?
What's good for Delhi isn't it good for rest of India? At least other metros should follow this policy.

Last edited:
New Delhi: Taking a strong stand on rising pollution in Delhi and nearby areas, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that no private diesel vehicle (SUVs and cars) having engines beyond 2000 cc in the National Capital Region from March 1, 2016.

Public transport :
201406_2206_gdfed_sm.png

Last edited:
What's good for Delhi isn't it good for rest of India? At least other metros should follow this policy.
Perhaps, other metros don't follow the herd-mentality. But they are indians afterall... they'll follow suit.

BTW, SC is very right in saying that only diesel engines above 2L capacity are polluting and should be banned from private use. Thank God, people can still buy engines below 2L (this number is very small because who buys a car under 10L?). Most of the 2L+ engines fall under premium category - and since Delhi population has more than 70% rich people, this ban will definitely clean some air.

SC has banned all new vehicles registration with above 2L engine capacity from March 2016..
Only diesel engines..

http://m.ibnlive.com/news/india/sc-...m-using-delhi-as-a-transit-route-1177781.html

SC saved Kejrival from adding up to his Arrogant image, imagine the hue & cry had state government done this?

Win-win for all except maybe the companies who manufacture these vehicles. And you are right about people's different attitude towards the Supreme Court and the govt. There would've been a lot of hate against the Delhi govt. Lol.
the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that no private diesel vehicle (SUVs and cars)

hah! I knew it! Its finally here.
But i don't understand the litres capacity/specific cc numbers though. Can someone explain?

Win-win for all except maybe the companies who manufacture these vehicles. And you are right about people's different attitude towards the Supreme Court and the govt. There would've been a lot of hate against the Delhi govt. Lol.

hah! I knew it! Its finally here.
But i don't understand the litres capacity/specific cc numbers though. Can someone explain?
Yes, the engine capacity is important, needs further explanation. There's no need for 2L+ engine for a 5 seater car may be? What about beloved Innova?

also two more important facts in ruling.
1. Vehicles with registrations prior to 2005 won't be allowed to enter Delhi (not clear about Delhi registration vehicles)
2. 100% increase in green cess, Dedicated routes prescribed for commercial vehicles using Delhi as transit route.

It's a landmark judgment given at a right time. Shouldn't it be made universally applicable to all metros? Since SC has a wider reach than Delhi govt?

Auto manufacturers will just have to change the engine capacities, and redirect their inventory to other metros. The used car dealers will be benefited as mostly they have interstate links.

New Delhi: Taking a strong stand on rising pollution in Delhi and nearby areas, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that no private diesel vehicle (SUVs and cars) having engines beyond 2000 cc in the National Capital Region from March 1, 2016.

Public transport :
201406_2206_gdfed_sm.png
Thanks for correcting me on fuel type, I was overjoyed reading a right verdict at the right time. Considering other environmental issues Petrol vehicles will need some regulations too.

All fair and good, but you dont see the urgency that is there to reduce. As said before they are in the process of formulating a long term plan. This is a stop-gap measure to lower levels in the interim and also to make people car-pool. What results it will bring is a different thing, atlease they didnt sit on their asses till half of Delhi was dead.

All fair and good, but you dont see the urgency that is there to reduce. As said before they are in the process of formulating a long term plan. This is a stop-gap measure to lower levels in the interim and also to make people car-pool. What results it will bring is a different thing, atlease they didnt sit on their asses till half of Delhi was dead.
Thats not only it. If this was delayed and pollution get worse people will target the government for not doing anything and the cycle will continue. Kind of hypocritical for people to complain about it now that actions are being taken up.

My Masiji lives in New Delhi and she suffers from really bad respiratory stuff. You would think that someone like her would really be happy with this new rule. But the thing is that last mile connectivity issues doesn't allow her to use Public Transport. Also when travelling by public transport she will be more susceptible to dust/pollen etc which will just aggravate her issues. I have seen her stay up so many sleepless nights that I have repeatedly requested her to move out of Delhi.

My question is that why didn't they think of Pollution as a serious issue before?
If they didn't, no problem, but that doesn't give them the right to just push a half-baked idea on the people without providing them with a proper alternative. I actually hold them to a higher standard than other political parties and hence my disappointment.
I don't like the appeasement politics that is so prevalent in India. The paid Media doesn't help either with questioning and scrutinizing their every move, but like I said I hold them to a higher standard and expected them to be leaders than politicians.
In my book, a leader needs to lead the people to a place where they necessarily might not want to be, but where they ought to be.
I hope, if they can score a second term, they do more and more importantly, they do better.
P.S. - I hope they get success in another state rather than Delhi where they have more control and less interference from the Centre.

My question is that why didn't they think of Pollution as a serious issue before?
Good question. Might be because of the sudden mass public awareness by the media with regard to the global climate summit or whatever the event is called. Also the pollution has gotten a lot worse than before. There used to be a lot of campaigns, environment talks and news about it but people didn't care much about it back then. But its obvious that they are now desperate. So i also blame the people for this.
This is with regards to Delhi mainly. The other cities/states should learn from Delhi before its too late but then again they probably wont even care. Just look at their laid-back attitude of the govt and the people. Tch![DOUBLEPOST=1450409578][/DOUBLEPOST]
My Masiji lives in New Delhi and she suffers from really bad respiratory stuff.
Tell her to move out asap. I doubt that whatever steps and solution have been taken up now will be visible in the next few years. I also have respiratory lungs problem (Thanks a lot Delhi!) now which is one of the reasons why my parents do not want me to return there. Even my doctor told me that it was because of Delhi's pollution. Surgical masks are recommended to everyone.

Last edited:
Back