Graphic Cards GTX Prices Slashed

SidhuPunjab said:
Memory buffer, some newer games started to use more than 800MB video RAM @ 1920 or above eg. GRID.

Thats why people waiting for 4870 1GB and 4870X2 2GB. :)

For 24 inchers very true; even a CF of 4850s can eliminate that AFAIK; :)

SidhuPunjab said:
Memory buffer, some newer games started to use more than 800MB video RAM @ 1920 or above eg. GRID.

Thats why people waiting for 4870 1GB and 4870X2 2GB. :)

Radeons use memory more efficiently and it can be seen from the Grid benches itself. At 2560x1600, HD 4870 wipes floor with GTX280 even when it has only 512 MB ram.

IMO, newer titles are moving towards more shader-intensive stuff and ATI's six months from now ATI's 48XX will perform better than the current gen 98XX and GTX2XX cards because of their massive shader count and an architecture that supports DX10.1.

gannu said:
I'd say the 4870 pwns the GTX260 except for games which favour nV cards like Crysis, WiC etc; Lol, even CF doesn't apparently scale well with these beasts; A newer Cat driver will fix that;

And who cares abt temps when cheap aftermarket coolers're around dude? Get the AC Accelero S1 for 1.4k; slap fans as u like; 80mm, 92mm or 120mm;

Bring down the temps, get some better OC headroom, use the ATI AMD GPU OC tool and u're set to go; soft-mod it and bump up the volts for added stability and to avoid crashes;

And what bottlenecks're u referring to??? :S

-2 for that; :devil2:

Yeah yeah, dream on; :bleh:

Now that's some serious fanboyism... You say Buy a 4870 for $299 and a $30 HSF to it and the add another $10-$20 120 MM fans to it and over clock it...

Well it turns out to $345 Mr. Smarty Pants... That's not VFM and i would rather pay $299 and settle for 10% less and will still have more RAM to just show off :) and not to forget "lifetime" warrenty and a better quality PCB...

Again i ain't suggesting one should not go in for a 4870 over a 260... One should... Hell i will if i would afford it but still at the same price points 260 is a serious competitor to a 4870... ATi needs to go down like they did with their 4870's... They need to go for the KILL... NV with thier brand value will eat 4870 all over the world...

I remember there being a calcutta GFX card distri ( dont remember Nvidia or ATi) who used to price his stuff very reasonably
I bought my XFX 8800GT back in NOV 07 for 13k plus taxes locally frm AKSHAY ENTERPRISES. RASHI was sellin the same for 15k-16k back then:eek:hyeah:
always bought stuff frm akshay since then.

Lol, ATi has got their pricing right for once, and they did catch NV with their pants down (for once). But its (GTX 260) a superior card at higher resolutions, as pointed out by Switch. More memory, lower latencies compared to GDDR5. Of course NV has a screwed up memory mgmt system which is why 896 MB of RAM is still doing so little :p. But still at 300$ odd, very strong on paper specs. Also SLI more reliable/ consistent a performer than CF, which either totally rocks, or does nothing.

Morgoth ^^ Depends on the game actually, although in terms of SPs its still 192 VS 160, and not really 800 ;) for most games. ATi used a derivative SP architecture i.e. clusters of 5 SPs which can work on a single thread in a clock cycle so 800/5 = 160. Agree with ATi using memory better though. Pity their drivers still suck ;)

lol, my 8800GTX was the best deal I got period. It lasted me for a full 1.5 years, may even go 2 years, and I paid 20K for it, when on newegg it still sells for around 15K. The G80 is as old as the universe, in GPU years :eek:hyeah:

Lol...it has to be Gannu...when you CF, both cards' video memory still need to have copies of the texture and geometry data i.e. in duplicate. Which means 512x2 is still = 512 for all purposes. Till they do away with core dependencies on the same data, any kind of multi GPU solution will basically suck.

On the topic of PCB quality too I'd have to agree with Switch. Just how long have you used ATi cards for? I've used an X800XT and an X1800XT in addition to the X1900XT crossfire rig I had for a very short time. You'd be surprised to know that all of those 4 cards are now dead, with new owners of course (I sold the last one around 14 months back. I have an old GeForce 5700 and a 7900GTX running in my own machines. Still working fine, without a chirp. Now thats quality for me, something that's worth a premium. The FX5700 will be 5 years old this september. Anyone spending 300$ needs to look at these issues.

Ajay...sure ATi can drive lower prices better with their current product lineup. But with their sagging position financially they had better be able to. You forget NV has the buffer of huge profits that the cash cow named G80 brought in. A card that has lasted for nearly 2 years in market is a helluva lot. And the people who went SLI. Also lets not forget the low end market. I was in GPU distribution as a career till 2006. Did you know that the biggest seller in India in 2006 was still the FX5200? 4000 pieces per month in bangalore alone. And demand never dropped below 10,000 pieces for the south region (per month). So they're still milking 6 series cards today, unless supply has dried up.

Today the 8400GS sells 15 times more than an ATi X2400pro in notebook solutions.

So the reality is that as of now NV can afford to dig in deep if they have to. Lets hope they have to. It'll be better for us won't it?

What most people are missing out is that AMD can decrease its prices as well as nVidia does. The difference is while nVidia is forced to reduce prices on its costly to manufacture GTX2xx chips and take the blunt end of the losses to protect its direct partners, AMD can do the same without so much stress on itself.

Switch said:
Now that's some serious fanboyism... You say Buy a 4870 for $299 and a $30 HSF to it and the add another $10-$20 120 MM fans to it and over clock it...

Well it turns out to $345 Mr. Smarty Pants... That's not VFM and i would rather pay $299 and settle for 10% less and will still have more RAM to just show off :) and not to forget "lifetime" warrenty and a better quality PCB...

Again i ain't suggesting one should not go in for a 4870 over a 260... One should... Hell i will if i would afford it but still at the same price points 260 is a serious competitor to a 4870... ATi needs to go down like they did with their 4870's... They need to go for the KILL... NV with thier brand value will eat 4870 all over the world...

And when u talk of higher temps its worth a point there; hence the suggestion;

And with more RAM u can probably show-off the RAM part alone and not on the performance front; :p

And why'd u say that the AMD PCBs suck?? :S Cos they died on u?? OMG thats the most lame reason I'd seen; I've had similar experiences with nV as well; Even Sidhu's G92GT failed within months of usage; Do u account for a bad PCB design there?

And I'm usually a fanboi of whats the best bang for the buck in the market;

I'd a G80GTX when the time ripened and now have a pair of ATIs;

When the tide favours the nV teem, then I'd support them; :)

Thats my policy; :D

If someone has an issue so be it; :bleh:

I dont think, we will gonna see any price drop on 4870 till 4870X2 & 4850X2 Comes out..AMD knows better when to slash, as 4870 is selling like hot cakes & everyones choice..:eek:hyeah: AMD didnt react with Nvidia Price drop. Why? :D:

gannu said:
And when u talk of higher temps its worth a point there; hence the suggestion;

And with more RAM u can probably show-off the RAM part alone and not on the performance front; :p

And why'd u say that the AMD PCBs suck?? :S Cos they died on u?? OMG thats the most lame reason I'd seen; I've had similar experiences with nV as well; Even Sidhu's G92GT failed within months of usage; Do u account for a bad PCB design there?

And I'm usually a fanboi of whats the best bang for the buck in the market;

I'd a G80GTX when the time ripened and now have a pair of ATIs;

When the tide favours the nV teem, then I'd support them; :)

Thats my policy; :D

If someone has an issue so be it; :bleh:

Did i say that i don't like AMD's PCB because they died on me... HELL NO... I have a dead Ti4400 as well... By MSI... So what...

In general ATI Card have inferior PCB's then nVidia's... And that's a known fact... ATI always gets its PCB's manufactured from outside... Earlier by Saphhire and now by Visiontek(Speculation)...

As for a fact it is not me a general old time Gfx card user saying that but US reviewers who have been reviewing these cards from quite a while... I will try to quote the exact same sentiments...

I wonder which of thier Radeons died hence they reaced to this conclusion...

muzux2 said:
I dont think, we will gonna see any price drop on 4870 till 4870X2 & 4850X2 Comes out..AMD knows better when to slash, as 4870 is selling like hot cakes & everyones choice..:eek:hyeah: AMD didn't react with Nvidia Price drop. Why? :D:

They will trust me... GTX280 is already $450 at places... And if the trend continues ATI will have to go lower... By atleast $30 cause i am sure we won't see GTX260 at $250 anytime soon but they will surely fall to $270 sooner then later... And if that happens ATi will have to match it if not better it thus making it a much more sweeter buy :p

naah! Mr. Switch, Everyone is aware HD4870 is only 12% slower than GTX 280, & why to waste $150 for mere 12%.if u see hexus bang4buck, both 4870/4850 are ahead of 280/260.why ATI is silent coz of terrific price/performance, y to drop prices thn? :eek:hyeah:

I would have to agree with switch and vandal here. Also having a single slot hot card thats blowing out hot air inside the case is something I wouldn't prefer.

The 260 doesn't look as good in the specs but its only a little far behind the 280. ATI does have the same bandwidth as Nvidia to match up with their 512/498bit bus and dd3 combo, but they have lower memory. 512mb doesn't equal 896/1gb memory, what I mean to say its going to account for better performance in some point of time as games get better textures, which will for sure happen in the future. I still think Nvidia doesn't have the right drivers yet, some evga cards including mine have my cards downclocking problem which hasn't been sorted out yet. So I would say when we have some mature drivers we should see some performance increase and better memory management.

Yup agree with Switch and i_max2k2, stock cooling is good point. Ma current GTS run more than 20C cooler than ma 8800GT, It peaks @ 56C OCed to 763MHz 24/7. GT crossed 75C 100% fan speed easily with Fur Rendering bench.

Spending 2k for cooling mid range GPU doesnt sound worthy.

Btw another price slash scheduled , 280 to come down to $449 and $299 for 260, 9800GTX+ to come down to $199 as well. That does bring in some more competition to the 4850!

bit-tech.net | Nvidia drops prices on latest cards

New Nvidia price drops - [H]ard|Forum

My 2nd 280 deal got sour, so I guess I'll hold on a little longer to get the 280!

Btw Gigabyte 280 is already $449

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N28-1GH-B GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Back