Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

zhopudey said:
i understand that sirius dying must have been necessary for the story line...but it could have been done in a much better way. The way it was written was very childish and amatuerish.
LOTR, of course, is a classic. But frankly, I found it has less repeat value. I need to wait at least six months before rereading. Potter on the other, i can go from book 1 to 5 and start from 1 again.
So maybe LOTR is like fine scotch, while HP is like a quick tequila.
Speaking of LOTR....wel well well......i have read the book 5 timea and i can read it again.....Now i am Busy collecting all the works of JRR Tolkein abt the Middle Earth and the history behind.....it I truely Fascinating.....HP is good ... but I like LOTR better than HP.....but that is a Matter of Choise and If ya read carefully....u can see traces of similarity between HP and LOTR.....

Like the Ring Wraiths and the Dementors......what do ya say?

hellscream666 posted 5.43 minutes later:

Guys Read Silmarion( what ever is the spelling) but u got to read " Unfinished Tales"...really Awsome

yes.... true.....

on mugglenet.com, they have a compariosn between HP and LOTR. It seems that many of the ideas are very similar

Similarity

Evil sorceror referred to as "Dark Lord" who desires to regain physical shape --- Voldemort and Sauron

Wise old mentor with a long gray beard and a wizard hat --- Dumbledore and Gandalf

A birthday sets off events------ Harry's 11th Frodo's 33rd and Bilbo's 111th

Inherited invisibility device ---- Cloak Ring (although the Ring takes you to a different 'world')

Dog named Fang ----- Owned by Hagrid Owned by Farmer Maggot

Evil, creepy hooded creatures ----------- Dementors Nazgul

Deceased parents------ Harry's parents were murdered Frodo's parents drowned
Giant Spider ----- Aragog Shelob

Bad guy with a "wormy" name ----- Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail) Grima (Wormtongue)

Longbottom ------ Neville Longbottom who excels at Herbology Tobold Hornblower from Longbottom who knows much about herbs and pipe-weed

Fight with a troll ------- Harry, Ron and Hermione fight a troll on Halloween The Fellowship of the Ring fight a troll

Dark forest ------ Forbidden Forest Old and forest just outside of the Shire

Small, pitiable creature who talks in third person ---- Dobby & Gollum

Holder of the keys --- Hagrid (Keeper of the Keys) Hurin (Warden of the Keys)

Mischievous pair ---- Fred & George Weasley and Merry and Pippin (film version)

Forbidden language ----- Saying "Voldemort" and Black Speech of Mordor

Dangerous willow tree ---- Whomping Willow & Old Man Willow

Basin of seeing ----- Pensieve and Galadriel's Mirror

Powerful, life-saving swords ---- Godric Gryffindor's sword and Anduril

Scar on forehead ---- Harry and Merry

Do not disturb water because of... The giant squid and Watcher in the Water

Longed for safe-haven----- During the summer Harry wishes he was back at Hogwarts
LOTR: On their quest, the hobbits long to be back in the safety of the Shire.

Scar from Evil forces ------ Harry's scar on forehead and Frodo's scar from the Morgul Blade

Similarities between the troll in Harry Potter and the troll in Lord Of The Rings

They both appear because they've been brought by works of evil (HP Troll: Quirrel. LOTR Troll: orcs.)
They both have gray "skin."
They both fall down face forward.
They both live in mountainous areas (HP Troll was a Mountain Troll. LOTR Troll lived in a cave inside the mountains.)
They both have weapons that they use to attack the main character (HP Troll: uses a club. LOTR Troll: uses a spear.)
It took team effort to bring down the trolls. (HP Troll: Hermione reminded Ron how to do the spell, and LOTR, Pippin stabbed the troll while Legolas wasted it with an arrow.)
They both destroy the room they're in. (HP Troll: a couple of toilet cubicles and a sink. LOTR Troll: the door, smashes a few pillars to get to Legolas and the gravestone cover of Bali)

SOURCE

WOTSAY???

maybe? of course she was inspired by JRRT...in fact she'll be the first person to admit that. It is not possible to write a fantasy book without something of tolkien slipping in.

That was a really good article. But what is she saying about Dumbledore not having a job?
So let’s just strike everyone in the Order who actually has a job off the list shall we? (That leaves basically Molly Weasley, Dumbledore, Lupin and Moody)

Huh?? He is headmaster of hogwarts,head of the supreme court ( i forgot his title), besides he'll be continuosly badgered by Fudge for advice. I doubt he'll have time to take classes.

zhopudey posted 3.57 minutes later:

BTW...where do I order book 6? (in mumbai) Will I get it delivered home?

What she means is that Dumbledore's job is not clearly specified in the books. We know he is headmaster.... but what does he do???

And I personally think that he is the best Hogwarts can get..... I hope he is the next DADA tacher. But I don't want him to go the Quirrell or Lockhart way....

Nikhil posted 1.17 minutes later:

PS: Abt the 6th book, I have no idea. Try Crossword or Landmark. And they will certainly not deliver it home. You will need to go on the morning of 16th and pick it up. They may have some sort of small function.

We had that at that small bookshop in Bangalore from where I bought the 5th book.

I think they are ripping you off...... There is no way that the book is that expensive. I bought the 5th book for 575(after discount). Before discount the price was 650. I am not sure abt the price so, I cannot say for sure..... but I think that is waaay too expensive.

And abt the HP movies ---- They suck for one BIG reason. They skip all the small small parts which are so humorous in the books. And also, a lot of the humour in the books in conveyed through harry's mind. But in the movie, they cannot show what Harry is thinking. They can only show the dialogues.

And for die-hard fans like us who have memorised each and every dialogue in the 5 books by heart, even a small change makes us hate the movie.

DO you know that in the 4th movie, Harry dances with Hermione in the Yule Ball!!!! That is crazy.....

Even on ebay its for Rs899!!!!!!!! I think thats too costly. Has the fame and money gone to Rowlings head? Book6 is supposed to be much smaller than books 4 & 5; so why does it cost so much???

Hey....

JKR does not decide the price of the books. She just writes them. It is upto the publishers to price them accordingly. In this case it is Bloomsbury.

Blame them. Not JKR. And I am personally of the opinion that these are just random prices. Whe nthe book finally releases it will be in the range of 600-700 Rs. And this is standard for hardbacks.

In the US, it is for 17$. That is around 700 Rs.

Nikhil said:
Evil sorceror referred to as "Dark Lord" who desires to regain physical shape --- Voldemort and Sauron

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lol:

Back