Hasta la Vista?

Dark Star said:
^^Except Aero.. Everyting is now available for XP too :p :)

Aero is also available on XP, use Stardock windows blinds. Vista navigation system is better than XP, faster startup, better fonts, enhanced windows update, better sound quality - comparable to Ubuntu. Vista is not only theme. I M using both Vista and Ubuntu feisty (Dual boot) and both rockks.

Vista features :
- improved shell
- instant search
- Windows photo gallery
- Windows DVD maker
- SideShow
- Shadow copy
- integrated Windows Update
- speech recognition
- Bitlocker
- Readyboost
- Readydrive
- Superfetch
- WDDM
- new audio driver model (not sure the name)
- IPV6
- kernel transaction manager
- user-mode USB drivers
- kernel patch protection
- WIM image format
- multilingual user interface (dynamic)
- UAC (some would say a bug, not a feature)
- WPF
- WCF
- WWF (workflow, not wrestling!)
- CardSpace
- transactional NTFS

I'm sure there are many more. Check out Wikipedia if you want a more comprehensive list.

Again I say, Vista is not a re-skin of XP. Anyway, enjoy your XP!

Skip the name dropping ;)

Here is my question for the Vista lovers....

the killer-advantage that XP offered over Win ME was

a) rock solid stability

b) Way way improved plug & play functionality (no more hunting for drivers every time you plug ina USB device)

What comparable advantage Vista has over XP ?

And please, please, please don't say Aero or DX 10

Unfair vote. I for one plan on a dual boot (XP/Vista). That option should be included.

Dark Star, Linux is stable and usable for geeks or fanboy's. I for one know very little about it, and unless I'm forced there's very little chance of changing that :p

I do have a RHCE certified friend working in Singapore who's a fanboi :p We I'm on XP and loving it...

Who says windows is heavy on sys resources? Q6600 and 4 gigs of memory and windows is happy :p ...paltry price to pay ;)

superczar said:
Skip the name dropping ;)

Here is my question for the Vista lovers....
the killer-advantage that XP offered over Win ME was

a) rock solid stability
b) Way way improved plug & play functionality (no more hunting for drivers every time you plug ina USB device)

What comparable advantage Vista has over XP ?
And please, please, please don't say Aero or DX 10

Im going to stick my neck out and say its much criticized driver model is much more stable that anything ive seen on XP. Sure there still aernt any drivers from nVidia or ATI that are 100% perfect but whatever drivers are available are pretty darn stable. I havent had a single driver related crash since day one. Also Vista is a whole lot more responsive and inherently seems easier to navigate.
Also the stock drivers that come with vista work pretty well straight out of the box.Example: My P5n32e-Sli come with a bundled sound card that requires drivers o to be installed off the CD. Under vista even without downloading any drivers the card worked near perfectly, delivering sound to all the channels correctly.

a) rock solid stability

I think those 2 points also apply to vista's improvements vis-a-vis XP.

as stated by Xanthor,Vista WDM >>> XP.

In XP if you have a lot of eye candy on the destop,it will reduce the performance in games.But in Vista even if aero is enabled,game performance is not effected (the desktop and the game are completely independant.i.e. if a game (or any 3D app) is running,the desktop is not rendered.

Im going to stick my neck out and say its much criticized driver model is much more stable that anything ive seen on XP. Sure there still aernt any drivers from nVidia or ATI that are 100% perfect but whatever drivers are available are pretty darn stable. I havent had a single driver related crash since day one. Also Vista is a whole lot more responsive and inherently seems easier to navigate.

Also the stock drivers that come with vista work pretty well straight out of the box.Example: My P5n32e-Sli come with a bundled sound card that requires drivers o to be installed off the CD. Under vista even without downloading any drivers the card worked near perfectly, delivering sound to all the channels correctly.

Xanthor, think you got the question wrong...

Only a super-geek can feel happy about the fact that the underlying drivers that handle my graphics follow an elegant model

On the other hand, these two things are what every user (novice to advanced) would notice during day-to-day usage

a) rock solid stability

Kumar said:
I think those 2 points also apply to vista's improvements vis-a-vis XP.

as stated by Xanthor,Vista WDM >>> XP.

I'll skip the WDM aspect for the reason given above....

Persoanlly I feel Vista (as it exists currently) is a lot less stable than a XP SP2

And I haven't any marked difference between the plug & Play functionality of Vista Vs XP

Devices that worked on XP without manual driver install work on Vista too

Devices that did need a separate driver for XP (e.g. my M-Audio USB soundcard) need separate drivers on Vista too

But ive seen some devices (such as an el cheapo USB sound card) get detected in Vista and drivers installed automatically.
The same did not happen in XP.

While in the sound department,lemme mention that the volume mixer of vista is a vast improvement WRT XP (especially the individual volume controls for apps)

mixer of vista is a vast improvement WRT XP

Agreed!

But what I am trying to get at is that XP which offered a visible, noticeable improvement over 98/ME for laymen to geeks alike

Vista in comparison seems to offer some minor advantages (e.g. the sound mixer, or prefetch or the new navigation panes) which aren't enough to warrant an upgrade ...These advantages too are actually being offset by the pre SP1 bugginess of Vista (hopefully this is only Pre-SP1)

Vista has been a real pain the butt for me ever since I managed to get a copy of 5666 (pre-retail release).
My graphics driver cannot be recognized and I cannot run Windows default games thus also disabling graphical enhancing features.

explorer.exe has corrupted and I now have to CTRL + ALT + DEL to open Task Manager and start Windows Explorer through cmd.

99.9% of the time, the OS shall not react to mouse or keyboard movement and freezes a hell of a lot more than XP did.

I'm running a standard personal compatible Vista ready PC; eSystem, 512MB RAM, Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 3.13Ghz Intel Celeron D proc etc.

For those who haven't experience Vista - DON'T EVEN GO THERE.

Back