HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

I have checked the price for Samsung LA32C530 in Pune. Most of the leading electronics stores are quoting price of Rs. 38000 for the same (without any exchange of old TV). With exchange the price quoted is around Rs. 36000. Isn't it on higher side? Please provide the names of stores where it will be available at lower price.

Desecrator said:
Actually you need to fiddle around until you get the colors straight. There is a thread on avsforums wherein many professionals have used a calibration tool to get the colors right. I shall post the link later. :)

Have you checked the playback of media through the USB port? It plays a whole lot of files. :D
Yeah it plays most files that my DVD players's pen drive fails to play :)

Getting LG LD460 and Samsung C430 for roughly 46k. Which is the better buy? it seems Sammy price has gone up post diwali when I could source it for 45k. PLease advise, LG is 42 but an S-IPS panel, and Sammy is 40 inches. Need sound advise thats technical, not just Sammy is better as its a better brand kind of advise.

^What sort of technical inputs do you seek? I'd vouch for the Samsung panel provided you are getting an SPVA panel. To know about Samsung's panel lottery, refer the first post in the thread. Both the TVs offer a lot of media playback options through the USB port so it all boils down to whether you'd opt for a IPS panel or a SPVA/AMVA panel. PQ wise SPVA offers better black levels compared to the IPS. Not a big difference in the viewing angles either however IPS has a lead here.

Went on to see more dealers in Pune for getting 32'' one. Found 1 dealer ready to give Samsung LA32C530 for Rs. 33500. Also saw LG 32LD460 which was available for Rs. 34000. I found LG's viewing angles to be much better than Samsung. It may be due to calibration also. Also saw the LED TVs. LG 32LE5300 was also seemed to be equally better than Samsung 32C5000 according to me.

Now I am confused. Is it because LG has IPS panels? What do you guys say?

Does anyone have an idea about when the 2011 TV's will be released? This seems like a really bad time to invest in a new flat screen TV since one will have to buy 2010 model in 2011. The prices have not come down either.

sandeepk said:
Went on to see more dealers in Pune for getting 32'' one. Found 1 dealer ready to give Samsung LA32C530 for Rs. 33500. Also saw LG 32LD460 which was available for Rs. 34000. I found LG's viewing angles to be much better than Samsung. It may be due to calibration also. Also saw the LED TVs. LG 32LE5300 was also seemed to be equally better than Samsung 32C5000 according to me.

Now I am confused. Is it because LG has IPS panels? What do you guys say?

Yes that is precisely because of the viewing angles. IPS panels have better viewing angles indeed. Sounds good on paper but would you require this feature in actual? I mean the viewing angles on the SPVA panels aren't that bad when a 6 member group sits on a settee and watches it from a distance. If you were to go to the edge of the panel, it would certainly look hazy alright.
baccilus said:
Does anyone have an idea about when the 2011 TV's will be released? This seems like a really bad time to invest in a new flat screen TV since one will have to buy 2010 model in 2011. The prices have not come down either.
After the CES' announcements no major developments were seen in the usual lcd sector. They had loads of 3D TVs and LED TVs announced. Sony had few TVs announced with the better panels. It would possibly reflect in the Indian markets by the end of Q2. Waiting isn't worth it IMO.

Thanks for the help guys, picked up a 32" Samsung C530 for 33,500 in Delhi. SQ01 panel.

Just need to figure out how to get HD cable on it now - standard def on LCDs sucks!

got the Samsung C530.......lets hope that it is a SS/SP panel :p. BTW had compared the LG LD460 and C530 (AA panel) at the showroom preferred the C530 for Full HD content.

Keane 16 said:
Thanks for the help guys, picked up a 32" Samsung C530 for 33,500 in Delhi. SQ01 panel.

Just need to figure out how to get HD cable on it now - standard def on LCDs sucks!
:O 33.5k in a metro. I got it for 33k in a small town with the wall mounting clamps free.:eek:hyeah: Seems prices have gone up in metros since Diwali. Gannu said it was selling for 30kish during diwali sales in metros.

DarkAngel said:
:O 33.5k in a metro. I got it for 33k in a small town with the wall mounting clamps free.:eek:hyeah: Seems prices have gone up in metros since Diwali. Gannu said it was selling for 30kish during diwali sales in metros.
Yup, I was getting quotes of 35-37k everywhere so this was just about the best price I could get.

How do I get HD on Tata Sky? And can I hook up my laptop (1280x800) to the TV? Regular Tata Sky looks really really bad on it.

^Get a HD DTH connection. Your STB will come with an HDMI port. Connect it to the TV and you are done.

Same goes with the laptop as well. Connect an HDMI cable if your laptop sports an HDMI out. Else use the VGA out.

Finally narrowed it down to these three TV's.

Panasonic 42X20D 33k
LG 42ld460 45k
Samsung LA40C530 48k

Input sources:
Mainly Tatasky sd and HTPC
Occasionally Xbox 360
Viewing distance 10 feet

How big a difference is between Samsung spva and Lg ips panel. Also for a HTPC 720p is better or 1080p is better.

Switch said:
How big a difference is between Samsung spva and Lg ips panel. Also for a HTPC 720p is better or 1080p is better.
I'd vouch for SPVA over IPS. It has been discussed to death before in this thread and several others have opted for the Samsung panel over LG. The PQ of the spva panel cannot be matched by the ips panel from LG. The downside being the viewing angles. You can walk into a showroom, demo both the displays and decide for yourself. It should be easy that way if you still cannot decide despite the suggestions given here.

As for the HTPC, it largely depends on what is the storage capacity of your drives in HTPC and ofc the processing and decoding power. If you have several TBs of space and a decent processor/GPU which can decode the HD streams, you can bank on the 1080p files. The difference in noticeable with a large display such as a 40 incher. 720p appears slightly grainy and pixelated compared to a 1080p file. Then again if you sit as far as 10ft away from the display, 720p is just as good as a 1080p.

I went to shop for a 40 incher yesterday. I was specifically looking for Sammy 40C530. The neighborhood dealer offered 37C530 for 42k or 40C550 for 50k. He didnt have 40C530. However he stated that all dealerships are running out of stock as the 2011 models are arriving next week. I need to confirm if this indeed true or bunch of b*ll crap he offered since he didnt have the requested model.
On a side now, please confirm what I already know, that the 37C530 is not a good panel so in essence is crappy and a no go.... And does it make sense to go for C550? I already have an HTPC and WDTV...

^You are absolutely right. Do not go for the 37 inchers from Samsung nor Sony. I am not so sure about the 2011 lineup since the 2010 lineup was itself launched sometime during late Q2 2010. He may possibly be luring you to buy the TV. The best way to know this would be to visit a Samsung dealership and confirm. Since these guys get to know about the launches prior to the dealers around.

By any chance, do you know what panel is the C550? One of the members here was lucky enough to know the panels inside the box. There isn't a huge difference between the C530 and the C550 except the bloated contrast ratio figures and the ethernet port. You already have a HTPC so the ethernet port is useless. If you are given an SPVA panel, grab it with both hands. Do enquire with other dealers in your vicinity regarding the availability of the C530.

Alright.. I am absolutely clueless and probably wont understand any of the terminology used.. Hoping to get some advice here

1. Budget.

~60-90k .. depending on whether or not its VFM

2. Viewing distance.

9 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

normal tv SD, some movies.. general use..

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

None .. confused between Lcd and led-lcd

5. Preference for brands.

Was recommended Sony Bravia.. Open to others if there is a better option

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Living room... basic

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

None.. If there are any, then its a bonus

I am looking for a 32 inch LCD / LCD-LED TV, not keen on having it internet ready, will not use console, I may use it for viewing HD movies mostly used as a TV

1. Budget.

35 to 40 K

2. Viewing distance.

5-11 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

HD DTH/stand-alone media players

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LCD or LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.

pls suggest all good buys, how is samsung LA32C650

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Windows opposite to the tv but can be covered

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

PIP(picture in picture - viewing preview of another channel) and auto volume adjust between channels. Not required but prefer if provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back