HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

I'd go with the EX520. Saw the 40 incher at the Sony Center here at Surat and it definitely was a stunner. They had it connected to a PS3 and was running GOW 3. Played some bits. :p

Arun, Samsung still does not display the panel types outside the carton, do they? I haven't seen many SS/SQ models in the Samsung camp yet. Talking of the 2011 lineup here. A vast majority of the D550 series has the AMVA panels.

^^

Were they awed at your hidden talent. Yups good panel..! :)

LOL these salesmen hardly know a thing or two about different panels. All they know is to advertise an expensive LED panel to an uninformed customer/onlooker and lure him to buy that display. :p Some of them are willing to learn about these panels and once I happened to tell them about Samsung's panel lottery (medpal was there with me during the audition at a Vijay Sales outlet) and then, there are others with a know-it-all attitude. I'd simply walk out of the showroom.

can anyone provide whats the refresh rate of ex520 ?? its no where mentioned on their site. can anyone recommend a good shop at gaffar ?

Gannu said:
I'd go with the EX520. Saw the 40 incher at the Sony Center here at Surat and it definitely was a stunner. They had it connected to a PS3 and was running GOW 3. Played some bits. :p

Arun, Samsung still does not display the panel types outside the carton, do they? I haven't seen many SS/SQ models in the Samsung camp yet. Talking of the 2011 lineup here. A vast majority of the D550 series has the AMVA panels.
Nope they still don't display it in the carton.
Some of the D550 has a HN01 panel not sure what panel it is..

ok m gonna be taking my EX520 in couple of days ... so any1 tell me if the the price quoted to me (i.e Rs 33.5k ) is decent or not ??? m gonna buy from gaffar !
TIA :)

The 40" retails around 64.8K officially. So you can correlate the rest..!

1. Budget. 50K-55K

2. Viewing distance. 12-15ft.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. DishTV HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. LCD/LCD-LED

5. Preference for brands. None

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. A couple of fluorescent tube lights?!?

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. DLNA would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

I went around a few shops and made two choices, LG 42LD650 and Sony CX520 40". I felt that the LG was better overall in comparison with sony, somebody tell me if I'm right in my observation.

I want to buy a LCD/Plasma/LED for my room. The detailed requirements are as follows:

Budget: Around 40K. The lesser the better.

Viewing distance: 12 feet

Sources/inputs required: HDMI, DTH, HD-DTH, Xbox, PS3

Usage: Mostly movies and TV. Will connect it to my laptop using HDMI to watch movies too. A bit of gaming too. I need good sound though.

Preference for Plasma/LCD/LED: Anything that is suitable.

Willing to purchase it from the grey market: Strictly No.

Ambient lighting conditions of the room: Normal room with 1 window which will be on the side. I will be using a curtain or a blind on it. Lighting is also pretty normal.

3D Support required? : Not at all.

I have no idea about what to buy but I need to make an immediate purchase. I would prefer something with good after sales support too.

Please help. Thanks.

I had a word with some Samsung dealers here. They seem to have a new panel in the Samsung LA40D550. The version / batch number of the same is HN01. I have asked them to let me know if they can find a SS or SQ version / batch number. But how is this HN series? Is it any good? I had only read about SS, SQ, CN, BN, AA and AC series and this is something new now.

Dear adder/gannu,

Getting LG 32LE5500 for 34k with bill vis a vis Sony 32CX520 for 25k without bill. Whats your choice ? I need audio out (optical/coax) and ethernet connectivity with DLNA. Family is more inclined towards going with bill, warrenty product.

Regards,

1. Budget.
Upto 40K - the lesser the better
2. Viewing distance.
~8 feet
3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
DTH and DVD Player for now. But will buy WDTV or something in near future
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LCD / LED
5. Preference for brands.
Sony, Samsung and LG (as last option)
6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
No
7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
Normal with sufficent natural light during day and tubelight at night
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
Not sure if I require any

I am looking for 32" coz I dont think I can get a good 40" in my budget.
I have shortlisted Samsung LA32D550 after going through this thread and other threads on TE. But I am apprehensive about the type of panel I will get. The best price I got till now is 31500.

One thing I want to know is - do all these LCDs support A/V out? Say I want to record TV shows and for that I want to connect some HTPC or standalone DVR...is that possible?

Please suggest the most VFM model according to my requirements.

jdutt said:
Dear adder/gannu,

Getting LG 32LE5500 for 34k with bill vis a vis Sony 32CX520 for 25k without bill. Whats your choice ? I need audio out (optical/coax) and ethernet connectivity with DLNA. Family is more inclined towards going with bill, warrenty product.

Regards,
LG would be your best bet if you need better DLNA support. However the specs on the website does not mention if the TV has an ethernet port or a digital out. Sony OTOH has an optical out but supports fewer formats via USB playback.

Take your call.

Gannu said:
LG would be your best bet if you need better DLNA support. However the specs on the website does not mention if the TV has an ethernet port or a digital out. Sony OTOH has an optical out but supports fewer formats via USB playback.

Take your call.

I checked out at Lg Hongkong site, its mentioned over there that it has Lan support as well as digital out. Moreover i checked out with distributor, he confirms the same.. So i guess its Lg for me...wotsay ?

If you can confirm the ethernet/digital out ports, go ahead with the LG display. :)

1. Budget : 20k max.

2. Viewing distance : ~ 10-13ft.

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc : PS3, Wii, TS+ HD.

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV : At this budget I don't think would get anything apart from LCD :p

5. Preference for brands : None.

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? : Yes if the price difference is substantial. Which is better - Gaffar or Palika ? (I reside in Delhi)

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : Ummm.. Nothing that would hamper the viewing.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc : Nah. USB Audio-Video-Photo support will be cool !

Thanks !

Gannu said:
If you can confirm the ethernet/digital out ports, go ahead with the LG display. :)

Went to the store, my eyes confirmed me those two points, saw the piece in action, negotiated and closed the deal @ 34,944.15 with 2 yrs extended warranty (1+2). Guess it was a decent buy.

Thanks gannu/adder for helping me decide. Cheers!

@ jdutt

even I am interested in same model...where do you live? I am in Pune and a few shops quoted me 40k for LG 32LE5500 :(

Edit ---

You are from Delhi...sorry..didnt check before posting

RVK2488 said:
@ jdutt

even I am interested in same model...where do you live? I am in Pune and a few shops quoted me 40k for LG 32LE5500 :(

Edit ---

You are from Delhi...sorry..didnt check before posting

Go to Croma store and find out, keep me posted, will help you out. There is a big price slash for this model being 2010 model, but dealers want to sell it @ old price coz of thier higher purchase price. At croma, ask for 2 yrs extended warranty @1800. IMHO Lg 2011 "Smart Tv" series is NOT worth its salt.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back