HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

They're all available at the Philips showroom at Worli Naka, and in your neck of the woods, in Baroda as well..

Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

Desecrator said:
The Samsung LA40C530/C550 or the Sony 40EX400 should be a good bet. Refer Samsung's panel lottery policy mentioned in the first post. Sony OTOH will not support playback of many formats through the USB port.
i just checked out Samsung la40c530 @ croma ...
cost 55K
Airtel HD DTH Connection and Videocon 22" LCD TV free ... is it worth it ???

^I was curious because their LED lineup has received critical acclaim around the interwebz. Maybe when I drop at Bombay, I shall drop in at an outlet and find out. Thanks for the input. :)

Just booked the LA32CA530 for 34k at Jumbo. Got the SQ02 panel :D Thanks Gannu and the others :D

Iam going to buy a HDTV today,
And I don't have time to go and lookout for various models and find out which is best suited to my eyes(because on top of that their are calibration issues involved)

1.) Sole Viewing Content : Broadcast SDTV
(and broadcast HDTV when it becomes mainstream)

2.) Expected Usage Period: 10 Years+

3.) Panel Size/Type looking for: 32" CCFL 1080P LCD
(might consider 42" 720P Plasma)

4.) TV Setup/Viewing Distance : Wall Mounted below light source/10 feet+

5.) Deciding factor: Picture Quality & Display Engine
(But at the same time would not like to throw extra cash just for some "Marketing" Feature and if there's not an appreciable increase in quality)

6.) Brands Looking for: Samsung. Sony & LG only

Samsung: LA32C630K1R , LA32C590H1R , LA32C550J1R , LA32C530F1R, LA32C450E1M ,,,,ALSO Plasma TV : PS42C450

Sony: KLV-32NX500, KLV-32EX400, KLV-32EX300, KLV-32BX300

LG: 32LD460(or the bigger 42LD460), Also PLASMA TV :42PJ560

Some thoughts:
i.) These models I have mentioned are on the basis of availability & my price budget.

ii.) If models of a brand (say Samsung) differ only in terms of Bezel & not much in terms of Picture Quality, i would prefer the one which offers
"BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

iii.) Inter Brand comparison would be appreciated, even though I am aware of the advantages/disadvantages of different panel technologies viz. S-PVA , MVA, S-IPS
**********I wonder why LG's S-IPS are not appreciated by HDTV fraternity when S-!PS panels are the favorites among Monitor & Graphics community***

Booked a LAC32530 for 31K at Samsung Plaza, Pune. Lets hope i get a SQ panel. The dealer has agreed to give me a SQ panel one. Wish me luck !!! Thanks everyone for there support !!

@Desecrator- A special thanks to you for information on the panels and a genuine advise.

Glad to be of help Sudhir and Avinash! :)

parasharenator said:
Iam going to buy a HDTV today,

And I don't have time to go and lookout for various models and find out which is best suited to my eyes(because on top of that their are calibration issues involved)

1.) Sole Viewing Content : Broadcast SDTV

(and broadcast HDTV when it becomes mainstream)

2.) Expected Usage Period: 10 Years+

3.) Panel Size/Type looking for: 32" CCFL 1080P LCD

(might consider 42" 720P Plasma)

4.) TV Setup/Viewing Distance : Wall Mounted below light source/10 feet+

5.) Deciding factor: Picture Quality & Display Engine

(But at the same time would not like to throw extra cash just for some "Marketing" Feature and if there's not an appreciable increase in quality)

6.) Brands Looking for: Samsung. Sony & LG only

Samsung: LA32C630K1R , LA32C590H1R , LA32C550J1R , LA32C530F1R, LA32C450E1M ,,,,ALSO Plasma TV : PS42C450

Sony: KLV-32NX500, KLV-32EX400, KLV-32EX300, KLV-32BX300

LG: 32LD460(or the bigger 42LD460), Also PLASMA TV :42PJ560

Some thoughts:

i.) These models I have mentioned are on the basis of availability & my price budget.

ii.) If models of a brand (say Samsung) differ only in terms of Bezel & not much in terms of Picture Quality, i would prefer the one which offers

"BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

iii.) Inter Brand comparison would be appreciated, even though I am aware of the advantages/disadvantages of different panel technologies viz. S-PVA , MVA, S-IPS

**********I wonder why LG's S-IPS are not appreciated by HDTV fraternity when S-!PS panels are the favorites among Monitor & Graphics community***
Would you mind answering the rest of the queries put up in the first post?

Desecrator said:
32C6900 or the 32C5000 would do fine if you are not peculiar about the 100 Hz Motion Plus tech. i.e in case you do not desire to watch sports channels too often you can safely go with the latter and invest the dough elsewhere. The Sony 32EX600 is an amazing panel as well but the USB playback options are very limited.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

On a side note, although Philips has launched their new lineup for this year, I am yet to see a single model on display! Not even in the Philips Arena outlets. Pretty surprising.
I saw some prob in recently bought Phililps LCD 32"" @ my fri place !! he had warranty so they fixed it but i was wondering how it can happen in a new LCD !
i had philips 40"" prev which i sell it off due to lot of prob . seems like Philips has to work hard to beat samsung and sony in LCD market.

^I wouldn't want to comment on that since I have seen quite a few panels from Philips performing exceedingly well. Esp. those models with the ambilight spectra. The PQ on the 10-bit panels are completely different compared to the other low-end models in their lineup.

Functionality and reliability depends a lot on the usage as well. Most tend to hook up the panels directly to the wall outlet which is not recommended due to the voltage spikes. Although most LCDs are made to operate over 110-230V, anything beyond the said range spoils the internal circuitry and related components. It is better to hook it to a voltage stabiliser or a UPS.

xcept89 said:
i just checked out Samsung la40c530 @ croma ...
cost 55K
Airtel HD DTH Connection and Videocon 22" LCD TV free ... is it worth it ???

The videocon 22 inch free with samsung TV plays horrible washed out colours with cable / dth telecast. As a friend was interested in two 2 incher I tried to take this deal but the quality of videocon tv prevented me from doing so.

You can take 40C530 / 40C550 without the videocon offer, and force the sales guy to lower 5/6/7k from their quoted price.

medpal said:
You can take 40C530 / 40C550 without the videocon offer, and force the sales guy to lower 5/6/7k from their quoted price.
Exactly! That sounds like a better deal. Hey but did the HD reception was okay'ish right? Only SD played bad IIRC? In some places, they are even willing to let go off the Airtel HD DTH coupon I was told. The salesperson reduces the equivalent amount from the net payment. :p

1. Budget.- 50k

2. Viewing distance.- 8-10ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.- cable, USB and DTH in future

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LCD TV(LED if in budget :) )

5. Preference for brands.- Sony and Samsung (Bravia NX500 and EX500 Shortlisted 32" or 40")

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?- No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.- wide windows on 2 sides of the room and a door (enough natural light)

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- No, Juz want to enjoy HD movies with good sound :D

is HD DTH bad for NON HD channels... i'm goin to use set top box for normal SD channels only ... no HD contents..
performance of HD DTH is bad compared to normal DTH ??

^Based on the viewing distance, a 40 incher should perfectly fit your requirements. I'd recommend the Samsung LA40C530 for you. Costs under 50k if you have the right bargaining skills. Ofc the panel lottery policy counts. :p

Unfortunately no 40 incher from Sony fits the budget. The NX500 OTOH has a glossy glass front which may not be appealing to some of them so head to a showroom and see the panel in person. Whatever it is stay away from 37 inch panels from both Sony or Samsung because there are no SPVA panels in the 37 inch segment.

thnx a ton ! :D...btw if there are any other brands den plz suggest :)....and i searched samsung india site for more details about the tv u suggested, i dint find LA40C530(its der on samsung.COM though) . is it out of production?

^Not really since this model was launched this year - the C in the model name suggests that. I am not sure why Samsung has removed it from the database. Noticed some other errors in listings as well. Oh well! :p

Alright, this should be good news for folks having a Samsung display with an ethernet port behind your panel. :p

I connected my panel to my netbook (you heard that right! A netbook with a measly Atom N270 processor!) using the usual LAN cable (not the crossover cable), had the network setup with the relevant IP addresses on the panel and the netbook, installed Samsung PC Share Manager and shared my torrent downloads folder. Voila, the folder was instantly recognised by the TV's built in DLNA client and you could watch all those god damn videos with the TV doing the transcoding for you. The media is streamed from you PC as is and the TV does the transcoding. :D

Some audio containers are not supported unfortunately and the TV plays the video alright but flashes an error before resuming the play hinting that the audio format is not supported and the video goes ahead smoothly. This was tested on multiple files right from a 700MB avi file to a 18GB 1080p blu-ray rip. All went through fine, seeking takes some time but I suppose this had to do with my sucky 100mbps LAN connection on the netbook perhaps - a gigabit LAN should have the extra advantage IMO.

But this is an awesome add-on for this TV considering it hardly takes a few minutes to set it up and you can stream this off any sub-standard comp. :)

Suggestion Please....decision to be made in 3 days .

No word and character count in your posts so please.
1. Budget. 25 k -35k

2. Viewing distance.17 - 18ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. : HTIB and Ext HDs

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. : Dont know the decision making diff between Plasma and LCD

5. Preference for brands. : Not really

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? If its KILLA deal.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. : Yes

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. : not sure....if there is a technology which shouldnt be missed

A short and simple guide to setup the DLNA server on the Samsung HDTV:

1. Connect the LAN cable (not a crossover cable) from the panel to the LAN port in your PC.

2. Configure the network settings for the PC as follows under TCP/IPv4 settings tab:

IP: 10.1.1.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: Blank

Preferred DNS: 10.1.1.1

Alternate DNS: Blank

While at it, ensure that network discovery is turned ON. Otherwise the PC may not be able to detect the TV after the settings are entered on the TV!

3. Switch on the TV. Press Menu on the remote, scroll down to Network settings, enter the settings as follows:

IP: 10.1.1.2

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.1.1.1

DNS: 10.1.1.1

4. Install Samsung PC Share Manger v4.20 on the PC - 4shared - Samsung PCSM

5. Ensure that your firewall has not blocked SPSM. Unblock it and add the application to the exceptions' list.

6. After installation, click on the icon on the desktop, click on the Share tab, click on Set Device Policy from the drop down menu. The Set Security Policy window appears. Your TV should show up on the list with the IP address with the state shown as Denied. Click on Accept under the Set State tab. This will enable the TV to access the media files on the PC.

7. On the left side of the main window of SPSM, you should notice My Computer with a drop down tree structure of the folders. Browse to the folder containing the media and share the folder you would want the TV to access to.

8. The shared folder should show up on the All Share menu on the TV. You can stream all the media supported by the TV using this application. The TV does all the transcoding for you and the CPU activity on the PC should be minimal.

9. Grab a tub of popcorn and enjoy!

Hit me up with any queries and I'd be glad to answer them! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

akitosforever said:
Suggestion Please....decision to be made in 3 days .

No word and character count in your posts so please.

1. Budget. 25 k -35k

2. Viewing distance.17 - 18ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. : HTIB and Ext HDs

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. : Dont know the decision making diff between Plasma and LCD

5. Preference for brands. : Not really

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? If its KILLA deal.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. : Yes

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. : not sure....if there is a technology which shouldnt be missed
17-18 ft? Are you kidding? That's quite a distance IMO and nobody would be willing to watch sitting that far. Are you sure you did not mess with the distance there?

35k can get you a Samsung LA32C530 from the retail outlets with a possibility of any panels from SPVA, AMVA or SMVA due to the lottery policy. Or you could bank on a Sony 32EX400 with a guaranteed SPVA panel but limited playback support via the USB port on the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back