Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

Hi, one update for all guys planning to travel to Bangkok.
Air India airlines charging 1500 baht as extra baggage for TVs above size 42".
This rule is placed recently and it is for air India only.:(
Just to make you aware guys....

Hi, one update for all guys planning to travel to Bangkok.
Air India airlines charging 1500 baht as extra baggage for TVs above size 42".
This rule is placed recently and it is for air India only.:(
Just to make you aware guys....

Indigo is charging 1300 Bahts for 40" and 46" LCDs/LEDs (for over-size baggage). 32" LEDs/LCDs are not charged.

BUT, even after charging 1300 Bahts, weight of the TV is included in allowed 20 Kgs.

Weight of a Samsung 40" LED (model EH5000) is 13.5 kg. So, if you have check-in baggage of more than 6.5 Kg. Indigo will charge you 310 Bahts per Kg. for additional weight.

Hope it helps.

Thanks! This forum this helped me to buy a good LED from BANGKOK yesterday(Sunday)

The comments and references in this forum were so useful I was able to make a better judgement when I bought the Samsung ES40 6220 for 24K Baht(got 7% Vat refund 1635Baht, so the price I paid 22,364 Baht ) with 2 more additional 3d glasses (so total 4, 3d glasses). from S.J.M Electronics near 'Indra Square'.. It's run buy a person from PUNJAB. This shop is located exactly opposite to 'Bangkok LED Shop', which was selling this Samsung ES40 6220 for 21.5k(Baht), it was closed yesterday. So got into this shop to buy LED( there's also one more shop adjacent to 'Bangkok LED' but he didn't have this model yesterday). Morning I landed at PANTHP PLAZA(where shops open only at 10AM) and they allow customers only at 10AM. Checked the rates with Sony Showroom inside, he's giving reasonable rade. There is ' Best Buy' iat the ground level which offered Samsung ES40 6220 at 24k( as mentioned by one of the members in this thread, there was Nepali who's working and did the initial talk), I didn't bargain as I had to check 'Indra Square' Shops. As I entered Indra Square I checked 'INDRA SOUND' he said he can give Samsung ES406220 for 25,590 Baht( I think their tag price was '29k something')

I was looking for 'Bangkok LED' (which's also mentioned in this thread), a co-passenger whom I met at Bangkok airport mentioned that right now "bangkok led" is giving 23K, on cash payment he can reduce further, best part is he can deliver it at the airport for you.(About this Co-passenger = he's from Tamilnadu, I looked familiar to him and he's seen me many times at Coimbatore airport( I am a Journalist in Tamilnadu). I was planning to buy a ES32, 6 series as that was falling into my budget, when this 'friend of mine' suggested about ES40 for 23K, I decided to go for it. Even yesterday I called him from Bangkok to his India number as I couldn't locate this Area, he even called me back, by the time he returned my call I found that place.

The person in S.J.M Electronics had told me that they started this shop 3months back(it' at the entrance of 'Citin Loft' hotel), he's a very friendly and matured young fellow for his age(22year old), but didn't reduce the price from 24k (finally when he said he can reduce 100 Baht I thanked him and asked him not to reduce that money because I am buying for own use and I can't understand how much '100 Baht' discount make big difference to my budget, but for resellers this 100 Baht matters). I decided to buy from him than 'best buy' because, whatever said he's 'apnae Gaun kae hain ;)). They will deliver the sets at the Airport if you are buying more than '10sets', otherwise they can't. I had asked him to give the bill for the amount I pay for as I was clear that I will pay the customs duty charge if 'they find' it necessary. ( I was on a vacation with my family). Though I got it for 24k, he made the bill for 25k, I didn't have time to change this and I knew I will be paying 'a bit' more to our Indian Customs because of this. I asked for extra bill he didn't give, this part is important, get a extra bill or get the xerox copy of the invoice and Vat bill.. The shop informed me that I should enter through gate number 4' at Bangkok airport and before 'checking in' I should show this to their VAT refund office and get it sealed. Please remember, get your VAT refund sealed before you 'check in', otherwise you will not be able to claim the 7% VAT, which's near the 'D'Gate of Bangkok airport. If you don't keep a copy of the bill(even xerox will do) we may find it difficult to convince our Indian Customs officers about the price.

Last night as I reached Chennai airport, they are stopping people with 40 inch above 5 series in Samsung. I came to understand that most of customs guys appeared they are a 'little' clueless about Customs regulations. We can bring 35k worth of good without any duty, above that if we bring we have to pay 36% of the difference(for example if you are bringing in a product which's worth 40k in Indian money, in that 35k is exempted, for the remaining 5k you have to pay 36percent of this 5k ie., around Rs.1800/-) I paid Rs.2,884 at the customs( In my bill it's 25,000 baht with 7 percent Vat, when the Vat is reduced, 25,000 - 1635.51 baht, the total value becomes 23364.49 Baht. Our Customes calculated it to around Rs.2800 Indian rupees). I paid that money in the SBI (I somehow drawn and kept around 5k in Indian money when I left India, that helped), even you can pay foreign currency (I don't know about credit card)

In Bangkok, while Checking in I had met a few 'rich kids', who had bought a 40 inch Samsung for 36k or something, along with that he got a samsung home theatre for free ('Indra Sound', in Indra Square). He never read any forum or researched about the set I guess(may be that's why I thought they are rich) and he was happy that got it for that amount. While I was standing on the line near 'D'gate in Bangkok for VAT refund(after 'immigration), I met a guy who said he and his friends didnt' get VAT refund as they didn't get it sealed before Check in ( here comes the importance of 'INDIANness', in the shop I bought they insisted that you get it sealed and enter only through Gate No.4 ) . Later I came to know that the 'rich kid' also belong to that group, he told me he had lost more than '10 thousand rupees' as he couldn't claim VAT refund because he didn't got it 'sealed' at the 'GATE no.4'.(At gate number 4 of Bangkok airport, they will verify and want to see what you had bought before getting it sealed). I think most of you who are reading this thread by now would have done more research, please remember, as you stock more info, talk to people, forums, use google for location and planing. you will end up with better products at better price. Good Luck. ( I took time to write this because I was benefitted by reading this thread)

Few things to note:

1) This S.J.M. Electronics, The Bangkok LED or the other shop in the same lane is not a big showrooms, they are small shops (may be 40x40 in size on the ground floor, similar to shops we find in Pondy Bazar in Chennai or Chandni Chowk in Delhi).
2) In Thailand it's very difficult for those people to understand our 'Indian English', so when you ask for shop most of them will not understand. Also check about shops working hours.
3) I went looking for this building named 'Siam Khan' adjacent to Indra Square where this Bangkok LED shop was located, but 99% of people don't even understood what I said( I tried all kind of variations, inbetween keep mentioning 'BANGKOK LED').
4) Because I am from India, that SJM asked their shop assistant ' wahan sae ghadi pakadkae dhena saab jaldi jha sakaen', that's around 50 meters away from the shop. I said no to a 200 Baht ''tuk tuk'' which the Nepali attendant suggested, he's amazed by a 'south Indian' looking guy's ''Dilli ishtyle'' bargaining power, and got A/C cab fro 100 Baht.( When I asked his name before tipping him, with a smile he said 'Bijendar' ;))
5)The place was suggested by a person from Tamilnadu, location was guided by a shop attendent who's from Nepal, the LED was sold to me buy a person from 'Punjab', and the 'Thai' Cab driver drove me back in his 'Pink Colour' Toyota Camry for 100 Baht. It was a nice feeling.
6) This SJM Electronics , 88/19 Ratchaprarop Road, ThanonPHAYATHAI, RATCHATHEWI DISTRICT, Bangkok 10400. (If you go there just inform them that 'A journalist' from Chennai mentioned about them in the forum. I had told them though I reached that place looking for 'BANGKOK LED'' I will write about my experience in this forum and readers will decide how should they go about. Hope I covered everything, I may not be able to give any update because I got what I want, may be next week I will unpack my Samsung ES40 6220 ;). In our indian websites they are selling this LCD for Rs.59,900 .

thanks budy for ur info..please suggest me , am going next month to thailand i want to buy a samsung 3D Smart tv 40" . so suggest me the best price and where to buy this and abt the vat return and the custom . and we v done ticket in thai airways to kolkata so is they take any extra cost for the tv ...pls advise

Thanks ..

Thanks for such a detailed post. Btw what was the conversion rate when you paid the price? and by what means? Debit card swipe? or something else? Whats the best option for payment?

hi Surajit, can you please tell me how you came to know the airport landing price?
I am planning to get a UA40EH5000 (costing around 35,000 rs) or UA40ES5600 from Malaysia... Not sure how much I might have to pay to customs. Some said they paid nothing but am not sure customs guys let go so easily without some bribe !!

hi Surajit, can you please tell me how you came to know the airport landing price?
I am planning to get a UA40EH5000 (costing around 35,000 rs) or UA40ES5600 from Malaysia... Not sure how much I might have to pay to customs. Some said they paid nothing but am not sure customs guys let go so easily without some bribe !!

I paid Rs.1500/- to avoid some inconvenience and to save some time (for UA40EH5000).

Thanks Prime, guess I should be ready for around that price then. Did you check what price did customs people say for your TV and how much tax it will be?

I spoke to someone who landed two day before me with same LED TV. He told me the gist of the negotiations he and his friends had with custom people. So, I was prepared with 1500 (+1500 for my friend who was with me with same TV). He asked for 2.5k and I told them I can pay Rs.1500/- (for each TV) or official duty whatever it is.

India Duty free shop

From my colleagues and friends who landed in Bangalore from Europe and US says LED TVs are available in Bangalore duty free shops from where people can get same rate as abroad. I dont know the details. But it seems this is the best option , and no need to pay for extra baggage tothe Airlines.

I spoke to someone who landed two day before me with same LED TV. He told me the gist of the negotiations he and his friends had with custom people. So, I was prepared with 1500 (+1500 for my friend who was with me with same TV). He asked for 2.5k and I told them I can pay Rs.1500/- (for each TV) or official duty whatever it is.

Thanks Prime, couldn't reply earlier as I had to leave to Malaysia. Back today morning and got Samsung UA40ES5600R for about 1950 RM (35,100 INR @ 18 Re/RM) with all accessories. Store (Onking retail) quoted 2300 RM after discount and a friend of ours negotiated to 1999 RM and finally lady gave us an original HDMI cable worth 80 RM and another 50 RM rebate, so ended up paying 1950 RM :) Think its not a bad deal!

Coming to Airport, we landed at Chennai and one officer signaled to another to take me aside as I had LED TV. I ignored and moved in green line (as they never asked me verbally to come to side). Then that guy stood in front of me for few seconds and we just stared at each other and he looked at my TV. I told him its a 40 inch LED and its less than 35K. Custom officer asked what am I talking about. I asked why did he stop me. He asked for my passport, checked it, took my immigration slip and let me go :) So paid no bride and happy for that.

Good thing is we can bring goods worth up to 35K duty free (allowance increased from 25k to 35k effective since last budget)

I was going to bangkok and planning to buy LED,
but i was surprised to see that price difference was onlt of Rs 10000 if I but from Indiaand for some models buying from Thailand was costing more than India !
I checked on Sony Thailand and Sony India site. Price is calculated including custom duty.
Please suggest...

Below are the prices I found:
KDL-46HX750 : HX750 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India
(Rs 103,900 - India)
KDL-46HX750 : HX750 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony Thailand
( THB 57,990.00 equal to Rs 110459.4 including 36% custom above Rs 25000 value)

KDL-40HX750 : HX750 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India
(MRP Rs 83,900 - India)
KDL-40HX750 : HX750 Series : BRAVIA? HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony Thailand
(THB 38,840.00 equal to Rs 71092.8 including 36% custom above Rs 25000 value)

Please let me know if they are costing nominally below or even more than India then how to go about it ????
M really confused plzzz help :sad47:

I had made a purchase of Samsung LED TV dated 22/02/2012 during my visit in IT City , Pantip Plaza 604/3. Phetchaburi Road. Petchburi Road. Rights. , Bangkok 10400.

Model Code : UA32D5000PRXXT
Unfortunately my product has found a defect and there is no picture and sound ok problem to this Samsung LED TV in JUST SIX MONTHS. I do not have my international warranty card with me.

Can any one please provide me the international warranty card details or IT city samsung contact details?

I do not have any contact with the dealer directly, and I am currently residing in INDIA.

Your help is much appreciated as I am having trouble dealing with samsung service center INDIA without warranty card.
Cheers!

I paid Rs.1500/- to avoid some inconvenience and to save some time (for UA40EH5000).

What are your views on 40EH5000 compared to other LCD/LED? how is the performance with tata sky HD for SD and HD channels and also other 720p/1080p movies?

What are your views on 40EH5000 compared to other LCD/LED? how is the performance with tata sky HD for SD and HD channels and also other 720p/1080p movies?

I am happy with it. Using it in the BEDROOM with Tata Sky HD. Very good if bought at right price (35k from gaffar market). But not worth buying at 50k with bill.

My cost was 30k including everything except wall mount.

Back