Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

Sony and Samsung accept the warranty of TVs purchased in Thailand...but not LG. One of my friends bought Samsung TV from Thailand...and here in India...Samsung guys came and installed the TV on calling them...

What do u mean by install the TV? I thought it was as simple as taking it out of the box, put it on your TV cabinet, connnect the cables and switch it on?

Do they help you wall mount it?

Sony and Samsung accept the warranty of TVs purchased in Thailand...but not LG. One of my friends bought Samsung TV from Thailand...and here in India...Samsung guys came and installed the TV on calling them...

& I was thinking of purchasing LG 47lw5700 on my next visit to Thailand.
<
By the way how do you know that LG does not accept thailand warranty? Any specific good shop in Delhi where I can check for Thailand imported TVs?

This thread has got me wondering...How did you guys manage to bring the 46" back to India?

I mean..didn't you guys have issues going through security checks and running the tv through the Xray?

Just wondering about the logistical issues since I'm pondering buying one myself from the middle east.

Installing the product is fine, Samsung will not accept warranty of any TV purchased from Thailand

#[member='Deepcee'] You should mail Samsung and clarify which middle east country's warranty (international) is valid in India.

IIRC its 7 countries and UAE is one of them

Just got a UA40D5500 for 19000 THB from Pantip Plaza, none else was offering lower than this
sad.gif
.The 47LW5700 was being offered at about 38000 THB with 4 free 3D Glasses and the UA46D7000 was being offered for about 42000 THB ( not sure about the samsung price, I just forgot what he quoted).

Lanny Can you let me know where I can find the best price for Samsung UD5500.

IAm returning to India this weekend so planning to buy it.

How about Power Expo 2012. the Power Buy Expo 2012 at Bitec Bangna.?

Does it provide a good discount ?

Please do update me as I have less time.

Thanks.

Paying through credit card for international transactions also involve mastercard fee and extra bank charges. You may check that at bank's site. If you are paying through cash maybe you can negotiate better discount rate.

No charges are deducted for using CC on any transactions , be it domestic or international.Bank charges will be levied on debit card for making international swipe or ATM transactions.More over charges on debit will be very less and about 20-40 Rs per transaction.

Paying through cash involves either of ATM transaction or FX which will jack up cost more that CC/Debit card usage.

Buddy, any internatonal transaction done on domestic credit/debit card does have transaction charges. for e.g ICICI credit card has 3.5% transaction rate. http://www.b2.icicib...rges%20.html#q3

Airasia has suspended its operation in Delhi and Mumbai
sad.gif

paying through cash is always a better option cos there are multiple bank charges! in addition to the poor exchange rates, they levy FX conversion charges which are an overkill.

Also, if you are carrying $ or INR, then most shopkeepers will give you a great exchange rate when buying the TV.

avoid Credit cards when overseas at all costs (unless you know your bank charges very clearly)

Hi I am visiting Bangkok next week and I want to buy a led tv from there. I want some info would b great if somebody can help

1) suggest a good model for 46 inch led tv non 3d and 3 d both?

2) reg customs @ Hyderabad , will the custom limit be double if 2 people are travelling together I.e. 50000 inr custom exemption on 1 tv or it is 25000 custom limit per product per person. What I want ask is I want to buy 1 tv around 50k inr so how will custom handle considering 2 person are traveling?

3) I have read the complete post for places to buy can somebody suggest the cheapest place to buy genuine product as I am short on time

Would request somebody to provide correct info

Thanks gaurav

if its 2 ppl, ur allowances are combined. i believe so.

Lanny --- still awaiting the location of that sardar shop. Just tell me how far is it from pantip and which direction and which side of the road and how far is the distance walking?

customs limit will not be combined no matter how many people are travelling! it is clearly specified in the customs duty rules at the airport. for ex.: TV cost 60000; 2 travelers with custom exemption limit of 25000 each, with get a customs exemption of 25000 only and not 50000.

@Gaurav

I have posted my experience of buying a TV earlier in this thread. Would suggest you go through it if you haven't. I wouldnt recommend the Sardarji place if I were you; it seemed quite shady with the whole setup being run from a restaurant.

I would recommend buying the TV from a showroom (there are some in Pantip Plaza and all the big malls in Bangkok). the showrooms will give you a proper bill and a signed warranty card; all the small dealers that i came across in bangkok promised that they will update my warranty online after i ourchase the TV but I dont think anybody does that.

and regarding the price: the smaller dealers will offer you a better price than the showrooms but only by 500-1000 THB max. IMO thats not worth it considering that you are anyways getting the TV at 40-50% discount over Indian MRPs. So dont spend too much time scouting for the best deal and waste your time. instead enjoy your time in bangkok
<

If my guess is right Dubai is better for buying cheaper TV sets than Thailand,I may be wrong.

thats incorrect. Dubai prices are significantly higher than those in BKK. I know this because I have purchased two samsung 40" LEDs, one each from dubai and BKK. The Dubai TV cost me 37k; The BKK tv was 28k or so; Thats ~30% cheaper than dubai prices. (customs duty extra)

Can anyone confirm if Samsung, Sony & LG accept the warranty of TV's purchased in Thailand, in India? Do they help with the service of a TV when it is bought from another country?

They will do a paid service,provided the model is sold in india.Even if its not sold in india some parts can still be replaced,like the main image processing board is mostly same for most models withing the make.

customs limit will not be combined no matter how many people are travelling! it is clearly specified in the customs duty rules at the airport. for ex.: TV cost 60000; 2 travelers with custom exemption limit of 25000 each, with get a customs exemption of 25000 only and not 50000.

In budget 2012 duty free allowance has been increased to Rs. 35000 from Rs. 25000.

http://articles.econ...port-developers

Small clarification: Let's say I buy the LED TV for 35k Thai bhat, will the custom guys ask for bill for 35k and then will convert it into INR to find how much tax I have to pay or will they simply on their own arrive at some INR value?

^^ yes, they ask for the bill and they will ask you the conversion rate. Keep this information with you beforehand, including the price of led tv in INR. Provide info only when asked.

In budget 2012 duty free allowance has been increased to Rs. 35000 from Rs. 25000.

http://articles.econ...port-developers

Small clarification: Let's say I buy the LED TV for 35k Thai bhat, will the custom guys ask for bill for 35k and then will convert it into INR to find how much tax I have to pay or will they simply on their own arrive at some INR value?

^^ yes, they ask for the bill and they will ask you the conversion rate. Keep this information with you beforehand, including the price of led tv in INR. Provide info only when asked.

Now there are two methods at the discretion of the customs officer:

1. He takes the TV bill (in THB), converts it to INR, subtracts the duty free allowance and taxes the remainder @35% or so. Now here you need to make sure, and insist if need be, that the exchange rate he uses is not too high. For eg. TV cost you THB 30000; forex rate: 1.7 INR; Indian price: INR 51000; customs duty payable: (51000-35000)*.35 {assuming 35000 customs duty free allowance}

2. Customs officials have an updated list of the Indian market prices for almost all the popular LCD/LED tvs. Chances are that the TV you are bringing in from BKK is on that list. How the duty is calculated: Take the price of the TV model in India, discount it by 35%; subtract the duty free allowance from the obtained number and calculate customs duty @35% on this remainder!

For eg. TV model: Samsung 40" D5500- Indian price: INR 70000; discounted Indian price: (70000*0.65)=45500; customs duty payable=(45500-35000)*.35

The first time i bought a TV from BKK, the first method was used and the second time i bought a TV from Dubai the second method was used. Both instances were at the Mumbai intl' airport and both the times it was an identical TV; the only change was the customs officer. Also, the first time I got a proper receipt for the money I paid, the second time the money went into the official's pocket!

hi

I have read the threads in the post,thanks a lot guys for your information to the new travellers but still i have some doubts can anyone please clarify.I am planning to travel bangkok nextweek with my wife

1.Can i purchase 47inches LG LED TV?Can tv carried to india safely?

2.Do we need to checkin TV's Seperately ? If so how much we have to pay?

3.how to handle the customs? how much they can charge ?

4.Can me and my wife carry 2 TV's?

Please let me know what to do ?

On visiting Pantip Plaza and Indira Market my friend was unable to locate any Samsung 40? UA40D5000/5500 except EH series .Sony KDL40EX720/520 was also not present.The shop owners kept on saying that Samsung is coming up with new range of 2012 and hence these products are discontinued and Sony models are out of stock except CX series which is not a LED TV at all.

My friend will got confused and came back empty handed.Although he will be back shortly and would urge your suggestion on the same

I find this blog really informative and helpfull and hence could not restrict myself writing to you personally.I hope I am not bothering you.Let me know about any help or information required from India.

My friend keeps on visiting Bangkok quite often and on my request has agreed to bring back only a 40 inch LED TV as per my options of Sony 40â€KDLEX720/520 or Samsung 40?UA40D5000/5500 as I find them the best in the category in India keeping in mind the Indian custom laws also.He tried to bring in this time looking all over in Panthip Plaza and Indira Market as he was unable to visit in Power Buy Expo at Bitec Bangna (27 April – 7 May, 2012) but did not get any of the models.As per the shopowners the same are outdated since Samsung/Sony has introduced new 2012 range of LED’s and hence these models are getting discarded.As he did not have any update on the same he was unable to decide and came back empty handed to avoid complications.

When I was at Kolkata-India Airport to receive him I surprisingly found other passengers arriving from Bangkok with Samsung EH series and Sony CX series only which is not available at the Indian website of Samsung/Sony.

Since, my friend will be again visiting Bangkok for a business trip in this month I look forward for your suggestion in freezing the Brand(Warranty/Service in India),New Model No. against the old Model No.(40†LED with Identical features) mentioned above, place to buy(Name & Address) and the operative price.

The informations in your blog is really interesting and hence I would look forward for your inputs in my situation at your earliest.

Thanks to all who wrote on this blog..... This is really very helpful for new travellers to Thailand.

Dear friends, I am going there next week & thinking to buy Samsung LED, my budget is around 25K INR, will anyone pls suggest me the right model to purchase from there in my budget ????

As of today INR depriciates too much, so will it be cheap deal to buy LED now ????

Pls advice me asap.....

hi

I have read the threads in the post,thanks a lot guys for your information to the new travellers but still i have some doubts can anyone please clarify.I am planning to travel bangkok nextweek with my wife

1.Can i purchase 47inches LG LED TV?Can tv carried to india safely?

2.Do we need to checkin TV's Seperately ? If so how much we have to pay?

3.how to handle the customs? how much they can charge ?

4.Can me and my wife carry 2 TV's?

Please let me know what to do ?

You can purchase TV of almost any available size and bring it safely to India. I assume my safely you mean carrying it in airplane. For your other queries pls ref to post http://www.techencla...00#entry1749332 and http://www.techencla...00#entry1748550

Hi,

Is Samsung 40D5000 is still available at Bankok as Samsung has already launched 40ES5600 new series of 2012 is now available for sale? What is the spec and price difference of the same?

Back