Help, Got Galaxy S2 I9100G instead of I9100

@devvfata1ity

What issues have you faced in the non G version ?
Might make the OP happy ? ;)

@OP, had ordered a S2 from EBAY for my friend and received it yesterday. Will go back and check whether its 9100/9100G.

The main problem is availability of custom ROMs for the G version. For rooting nuts like me, it's definitely a major factor. The OP also did say that his phone lagged slightly with Go Launcher EX + Live wallpapers. This would probably not happen on the non G version. So, if the difference in performance is noticeable, he has every right to be miffed.

Yeah man. My friend has Non G unrooted version, its very smooth compared to mine. One other guy on IVG forums has reported that full HD playback of flash movies is causing the browser to stutter and crash. And why should I pay the exact same amount and get an inferior product?

@ devvfata1ity, nice post. That makes me somewhat less frustrated, but having an inferior product for same cost is just not done. And the lack of ROMs is just pathetic. AFAIK, all SIIs in Malaysia are now Gs since last 2-3 months, and people are bricking their phone left right and center. Still we have like 3 ROMs, which just suck. And who knows, Samsung might just ignore this G model when it comes to ICS update. That would be even more frustrating.

Although the op has every right to get miffed at what happened with him, i cant help but feel that samsung is not totally at fault here. The i9100G and i9100 both, are afterall Samsung Galaxy SII only & as such they are expected to be marketed as same. Consequently the retail box & package will also be identical as they are in fact SGSII only. Now the op could have prevented it by buying from a local store where he could have inspected the box. In the box where the date of manufacture sticker is pasted, there on the top of the sticker itself the model number is written. With adequate research one can be aware of the model no for both G as well as non-G.

Yeah but the box had I9100 and inside it was I9100G. Thats unfair marketing. Anyways, one of my friend (who has same issue) went to the store and asked them for replacement. They contacted Samsung and they will update it in the evening. Lets see what happens.

i cant believe you actually managed to get your hands on such a rarity! May i know where you bought one? Thought the i900g's were released exclusively for the international market.

And as for the faults....the mali 400 exhibits HEAVY COLOR BANDING! It's a defect inherent to the mali 400's architecture..which forces the phone to regress to 16-bit color anytime anything even remotely graphically intensive is done.

Simplest way to test it is, open the "NEXUS" Live Wallpaper, on your friend's i900 and do the same on yours. Compare them and Follow it up by launching angry birds on both and observe the blue sky on both. Notice the intolerable amounts of Colour banding on the i900? It cant be fixed as it's a hardware property of the Mali.

So.......Where did you buy your i900g again? :D

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075364

So.......Where did you buy your i900g again?

From Vijay Sales, Pune. Few guys in Mumbai also got the same. And in Malaysia, its I9100G everywhere. I9100 is nowhere to be found. Thanks for the color banding link though. Gives me some peace of mind.

Dude, forget about G version and enjoy your GSII. As for the lag, you can try Launcher Pro and see if you get better results.

pageisgod85 said:
The OP also did say that his phone lagged slightly with Go Launcher EX + Live wallpapers

Crossx said:
Dude, forget about G version and enjoy your GSII. As for the lag, you can try Launcher Pro and see if you get better results.

Not possible,may be try TW if there is any lag with live wallpapers ,ive personally seen i9000s run live wallpapers with no lags.which has the same gpu as your does.

Mali-400 @ 200MHz = 7.2 GFLOPS : This is what samsung gives you

Mali-400 @ 300MHz = 10.8 GFLOPS :

SGX540 @ 300MHz = 4.8 GFLOPS

SGX543+ = 12-13 GFLOPS

Just for comparison Atrix ( ULP) is around 5 GFLOPS

Note that some initial figures published by anand were wrong (Mali 400 was underestimated) and have since then been corrected.

Also can anyone having the "G" models, Tell me If the Video player is able to play back MKV's? Ac3/dts audio?

Thanks.

ambar_hitman said:
Yeah everything is good if they had mentioned I9100G on the box and sold I9100G. But here they are misleading the customer by selling I9100G in a I9100 box. This is very bad news for those who order online.

I9100LK'G'INU is I9100G and I9100 is I9100LKAINU. Its mentioned on the box and most of the dealers are getting it import to earn more. Check the attachment and than check your box.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Its mentioned on the box and most of the dealers are getting it import to earn more

Well its imported by Samsung India, so its not in dealer's hand if Samsung are importing it. Also, I think I will stick with I9100G for a while. Better sound quality (OMAP has better audio DAC than Exonys), no yellowish screen, more RAM, no color banding, less heating, better battery life outweigh the cons like few less benchmarks and lack of ROMs. As long as it gets ICS, I see no harm. I mean the same chipset is used in Galaxy Nexus, Moto Razr, Nexus S, Optimus 3D use the same chipset, albeit the Galaxy Nexus has 84 Mhz more core clock in GPU and others having 100 Mhz lesser clock.
(I9100G has 300 Mhz core GPU clock, others have 200 Mhz and Galaxy Nexus has 384 Mhz)
Also, the ROMs to play with CPU clocks and rooting are already released. One just released yesterday. :)

^

Its good that you have decided to make peace with your handset & started showing some love to it. :)

However, you are correct in some respects & erroneous in some. So let me just take the liberty of pointing out your observations one by one.

Also, I think I will stick with I9100G for a while. Better sound quality (OMAP has better audio DAC than Exonys)

This is correct and is very much a tangible difference between the two versions. The pathetic yamaha audio hardware in the non-G version is absolutely crappy with a capital C. The Galaxy S (i9000) had much better audio quality than the i9100. And to add further insult, the HTC Desire, Desire HD, Sensation, Iphone 3gs/3g all had much better audio quality. This is not readily apparent with the supplied headset but the moment you use a half decent 5k+ earphones, the loss in audio quality becomes plain as a day.

no yellowish screen, more RAM, no color banding, less heating, better battery life outweigh the cons like few less benchmarks and lack of ROMs

Now coming to the yellow tinge issue, all the GS2s having the SAMOLED+ panels have this issue in some form or the other. The reason its not so apparent in the G is because very few people have Gs & also the G comes with 2.3.4 out of the box. By upgrading the non G version to 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 ie KJx/KKx series of firmware this issue practically disappears for sets that used to have quite apparent yellow tinge & for others that had very mild tinge (which can only be picked up with some calibration tool), it becomes non-existant. However personally I dont feel this issue was blown out of proportion in the first place. No one uses their phone with 0-10% brightness in a dark room for just staring at neutral grey backgrounds. If you are actually using the phone 90% of people will never come across it. However there remains 10% of people who does have this issue in higher severity simply because those people have S2s with yellowish hue displays instead of the defacto SAMOLED cool bluish hue & thus have actually faulty displays. (My earlier GS2 was one such aberration)

Now regarding battery life, again by upgrading to 2.3.5/2.3.6 the non-G users have much better battery life. I for one am having atleast 1.5 days backup with moderate to heavy use on my S2.

As far as the overheating problem is concerned, only the faulty handsets overheat. These can be both G & non-G.

For the lack of ROM, like i have said before, very few people have G so theres less development for it. Although rest assured ICS will get ported to G as well and I expect the development to pick up then. :)

the same chipset is used in Galaxy Nexus, Moto Razr, Nexus S, Optimus 3D use the same chipset, albeit the Galaxy Nexus has 84 Mhz more core clock in GPU and others having 100 Mhz lesser clock.

If you mean the same GPU is used for all the above phones, then you are 100% correct. However all these phones have different SOCs (chipsets). The ones with the Ti OMAP SOC are : Galaxy Nexus, Razr, Optimus 3d

Whereas the Nexus S has the Hummingbird SOC from Samsung just like the Galaxy S before it.

The Power VR SGX 540 is still a killer GPU for mobile usage and it is really not so much of a disadvantage to have it in your phone. :) Moreover there are no games of the likes of Infinity Blade 2 for android to take advantage to a faster GPU.

Now coming to the question of the G having more RAM than the non G version, well all I can say is that its not true. Due to the difference in SOCs used in either versions, there is a difference of how the RAM is allocated. For the OMAP (i9100G), it has 1 GB of dual channel LPDDR2 at 800 mhz. Now as the SGX 540 does not have much native VRAM (8MB to be exact) it shares this 1 GB pool of LPDDR2 with the pair of Cortex A9 cores. Now this is dynamically assigned (much like intel & amd igp) between 32MB-128MB. Coming to the Exynos (i9100), it has 1 GB of dual channel LPDDR3 out of which 256 MB is assigned to the GPU & is fixed. So the Mali-400 always has 256 MB of LPDDR3 VRAM. The balance amount ie 768 MB is allocated to the A9 cores.

This is why it is wrongly assumed that the G has more available RAM than the non-G version.

Again apologies for the unduly wrong post. These are just my views to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong on all counts or may be right too.

Plz dont start a flame war.

Peace

:)

No intentions of flame wars. I have other forums for that :D
Thanks for the awesome post. So that yellow tint is more due to 2.3.3 rather than it being non-G. Because I have 2 S2s in my office, both non G and both have that yellow shad. Those dudes must uprade their firmwares. And yeah, I meant GPUs when I said chipsets. Apologize for the confusion. AFAIK hummingbird in Galaxy S is still better than OMAP when it comes to sound quality. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I have a query regarding this flashing, CFW things. I am a complete n00b. So I have no idea about flashing, roms, kernels etc. My I9100G's baseband version is 2.3.4 I9100GDDKH3, build number is GINGERBREAD.XWKH8 and kernel is 2.6.35.7 root@DELL156 #2.
Which ROM/official firmware can I install? Currently DZKJ2 is available for download for I9100G, which is latest one they are saying. Its based on 2.3.6. Will it cause any problems if I install on my Indian I9100G?

No problem with warranty if you flash official ROM, warranty is gone when you root.You can always flash back to official firmware and unroot your phone if need arises.

Before you do anything..take a back up of the efs folder.

Head over to xda for details.

Sent from Galaxy S2

red dragon said:
No problem with warranty if you flash official ROM, warranty is gone when you root.You can always flash back to official firmware and unroot your phone if need arises.
Before you do anything..take a back up of the efs folder.
Head over to xda for details.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Hi.

Can you post a link of XDA which is the latest and best official ROM SGS2 i9100 indian version which has 2.3.3 as of now.

My biggest concern is battery.

ambar_hitman said:
No intentions of flame wars. I have other forums for that :D

Thanks for the awesome post. So that yellow tint is more due to 2.3.3 rather than it being non-G. Because I have 2 S2s in my office, both non G and both have that yellow shad. Those dudes must uprade their firmwares. And yeah, I meant GPUs when I said chipsets. Apologize for the confusion. AFAIK hummingbird in Galaxy S is still better than OMAP when it comes to sound quality. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I have a query regarding this flashing, CFW things. I am a complete n00b. So I have no idea about flashing, roms, kernels etc. My I9100G's baseband version is 2.3.4 I9100GDDKH3, build number is GINGERBREAD.XWKH8 and kernel is 2.6.35.7 root@DELL156 #2.

Which ROM/official firmware can I install? Currently DZKJ2 is available for download for I9100G, which is latest one they are saying. Its based on 2.3.6. Will it cause any problems if I install on my Indian I9100G?

The yellow tinge issue is a inherent anomaly of the SAMOLED+ panel, although it can be mitigated to a large extent through software. Firmware revisions released after 2.3.3 has managed to pretty much obscure this issue through tuning of the display controller and the mDNIE color profiles. However as no two SAMOLED+ panels are alike, the degree of severity varies. Although it has to be said, that during normal use even in the dark, one can hardly notice the tinge. However some SAMOLED+ panels have a native yellow hue & a slightly warmer color temperature. It is these panels that are worst affected by the yellow tinge effect.

Regarding sound quality the galaxy S did indeed have a better sound quality than OMAP series phones.

The first thing you should know before flashing a different firmware is that the firmware for your phone is actually divided into three parts.

1) PDA- this is the actual ROM 2) Phone - This is the ril or the radio interface binaries that control all your wireless antennas & 3) CSC - This is the country specific customization.

You can flash any firmware from any region. I however recommend you to stick to flashing stock firmwares only as you are still not well acquainted with the S2 ecosystem. As long as you flash stock firmwares you will be alright. If you someday decide to root your phone and flash custom recovery & ROM, plz keep in mind that doing so will increase the binary counter of your phone & consequently void your warranty. Whereas if you flash any stock firmware say 2.3.6 from australia/ singapore (or any other country for that matter) your binary counter will not increase. The binary counter will only increase if you flash a insecure kernel. To reset your binary counter you will have to purchase a USB jig.

I suggest you go ahead and flash the 2.3.6 using Odin3 1.85. The 2.3.6 firmware versions have brought significant improvements to the S2 line with improved battery backup, faster rosie scroll, faster overall performance & much better 20-30% improvement in browser performance.

Thanks for the info. So as long as we are flashing the stock firmware and its for the correct phone, regardless of the country, it will work and will not increment the binary counter. I will download the firmware and post here in case of any doubt.

ambar_hitman said:
Thanks for the info. So as long as we are flashing the stock firmware and its for the correct phone, regardless of the country, it will work and will not increment the binary counter. I will download the firmware and post here in case of any doubt.

yes exactly. you can post here & we will help you out. Also you can post in xda, I am usually there most of the time :p

Back