Help, Got Galaxy S2 I9100G instead of I9100

mgdelhi said:
Hi.

Can you post a link of XDA which is the latest and best official ROM SGS2 i9100 indian version which has 2.3.3 as of now.

My biggest concern is battery.
Sure will do when I get back from field.

It is probably kj3,the thread is in the original android development for gs2 in xda.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Do not worry about the binary counter, the Samsung Service Centre guys are least bothered with these things.

The only thing they look for in a bricked phone is water damage.

You can infact root your phone i9100 even without flashing with insecure kernel.

Check out xda.

Sent from Galaxy S2

red dragon said:
Sure will do when I get back from field.

It is probably kj3,the thread is in the original android development for gs2 in xda.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Thanks. Downloading:

GT-I9100_XEN_I9100XWKJ3_I9100XENKJ1_I9100XXKI4.exe

Kernel_I9100XWKJ3.exe

Have and used odin before.

Will wait for your detailed instructions here or through PM before starting update.

Please post here itself will benefit me and other users as well , if it cant be posted here include me in the PM as well ,

TYIA :)

ambar_hitman said:
Well its imported by Samsung India, so its not in dealer's hand if Samsung are importing it. Also, I think I will stick with I9100G for a while. Better sound quality (OMAP has better audio DAC than Exonys), no yellowish screen, more RAM, no color banding, less heating, better battery life outweigh the cons like few less benchmarks and lack of ROMs. As long as it gets ICS, I see no harm. I mean the same chipset is used in Galaxy Nexus, Moto Razr, Nexus S, Optimus 3D use the same chipset, albeit the Galaxy Nexus has 84 Mhz more core clock in GPU and others having 100 Mhz lesser clock.

(I9100G has 300 Mhz core GPU clock, others have 200 Mhz and Galaxy Nexus has 384 Mhz)

Also, the ROMs to play with CPU clocks and rooting are already released. One just released yesterday. :)

No idea about Samsung import. I don't have G to compare which one has better sound quality, my Gals2 doesnt have the yellowish screen (lucky me), no heating, great battery life after 2.3.5 update, both have same ram so where does the "more ram" comes to play :p

'

I was thinking to purchase online, but after seeing most of the online seller are selling the "G" version, I bought it locally few days back. Both Gals2 variants are good, just be cautious while purchasing online. There are plenty of roms for I9100 as compared to I9100G (only 2 or 3?) which is why I bought the phone locally as first place. No fun without custom roms. So just beware while purchasing online.

for all your ROM needs (stock) plz check this thread. This thread is regularly updated. [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KG, KH, KI1/2/3/4/8, KJ1/2/3, KK2/5 Download - xda-developers

In the above thread all the n00bs will get step by step procedure to flash firmware using Odin & rooting also. :D

for rooting using zergRush binaries check out this thread. Although this method has stopped working for the latest KK2/KK5 firmwares. [16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] Xperia X10 Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

The latest ROM for the GS2 (i9100) is the KK5. This is android 2.3.6 & it is so far the fastest ROM for the S2. All your benchmark scores will increase by ~10%. But the biggest improvement is in the Java performance, where the improvements can be upto ~50%. (I got 4300 using quadrant, 6800 using CF bench, 94 in the linpack multi-threaded benchmark, 1165 in vellamo & 1759 ms in the sunspider javascript 0.9.1 benchmark :D)

Well I got a call from Samsung India regarding my complaint. They said they are not selling I9100G in India and I9100 is the ONLY model being sold. They asked me to go to my store and tell them about this. Lets see what they say. This is getting interesting.

First thing you will notice is the absence of bounce effect...replaced by the blue overscroll effect.

You can see the battery percentage while charging.

The video player now plays in portrait mode, useless imho.

I did not notice any battery or audio improvement.

Did not try any benchmark, as I am sick of those stupid scores.

Sent from Galaxy S2

I used Motorola Photon for 8-10 days. Then used SGS2 for 5 days. And I found the battery of SGS2 almost half capable than Photon. Both phones have almost similar specs except so called Super Amoled Plus of SGS2. I personally don't find Photon display any inferior.

I have to keep one of these phones and I wanted to keep SGS2. But bad battery is my main worry.

Since last night I am back to Photon to re-consider my decision.

Are you guys happy with battery life of i9100 or i9100G ?

You can see the battery percentage while charging

That is available in 2.3.4 itself. I can see it. Also, in 2.3.4, the other changes are: The Lock pattern circles are much more polished, the vibrate icon remains in notification area even after you put sound to ON, You can see both SIM and Phone contacts.
The 2.3.5 changes are:
•Fonts are back to normal now. No more bold fonts.

•Launcher now has circular scrolling on home screen n widget selection screen.

•Sadly say bye bye to overscroll bounce and welcome bluish overscroll all over the place. Even in browser.

•Better quadrant score almost 4000. For those who love benchmark.

•Oveall faster than 2.3.4.

•SIP support disabled.

•No new GTalk. Sadly true.

•Gallery UI is little change. There also you will see overacroll effect.

•There is now noise reduction feature added when you call.

•Reported by many users about Improved Sound Quality !!! . Its true !

•When you set Vibration to Always, Icon remains in status bar even though ring volume is set !

From XDA.

Nice post!Never used the 2.3.4, did not know about it.

BUT the s.q remained same for me, absolutely same.

Even the battery life was same.

Once I started using siyah kernel battery life improved(after uc and uv)

There is a ROM (probably gingermod, basically samsung rom which looks like aosp)was giving me the best battery life...more than 6 hrs of on screen time, but the GPS went mad.

Sent from Galaxy S2

ambar_hitman said:
Well I got a call from Samsung India regarding my complaint. They said they are not selling I9100G in India and I9100 is the ONLY model being sold. They asked me to go to my store and tell them about this. Lets see what they say. This is getting interesting.

This is why I said earlier, that the dealers are importing the stuff. However, you replied that its samsung. quite interesting topic about Galaxy S2 now. :D

From my past experience about Android, all different variants fails in custom roms,tweaks and development. No hard feelings, but I have seen tht like Xperia Neo vs Xperia Neo V (I sold recently), Galaxy S and Galaxy S Plus (I sold this one too). Both this variant fails due to less development. Rest all good.

If you are seriously looking for tons and tons of tweaks, roms, themes etc, try getting original I9100.

ambar_hitman said:

poor cc guy :p if that is true then why sammy website shows G ver. product code(I9100LKGINU where INU is India) ? :S

well all the Samsung India Customer Care execs and Tech Support guys are nothing more than a bunch of bumbling clowns. They dont have the faintest idea of what they are talking about. Even the service center guys are half-a###d idiots. They dont know the samsung gurus from the s2s.

However, you replied that its samsung. quite interesting topic about Galaxy S2 now.

Yeah, on the box its clearly written that its imported by Samsung India, New Delhi.

Also can anyone having the "G" models, Tell me If the Video player is able to play back MKV's? Ac3/dts audio?

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. My G version can play 720p mkv just fine. No lags and no stutters even when fast forward etc. All in stock player. Even my laptop struggles while fast forward/seeking, but phone does not. Maybe because my laptop is native 768p.

Damn.. i just came across thread.

I bought an SGS 2 from Croma.. & i have the exact same issue.. turned out to be the I9100G! No box detailing was noted .. i just stated I9100.

funny thing is, the box sticker shows manufactured in Vietnam and imported by Samsung India

Details:

GT-I9100G

version 2.3.4

Baseband GDDKH3

Build Gingerbread.XWKH8

is this an issue enough for me to take it up with Croma or Samsung?

Back