^^ audio is quality is good. :)

Battery is freaking good :O

can any one give me 2 things :D

1. gtalk wid video chat (new gtalk)

2. timescape UI

thnx :)

ps : mine is I9100G.

Im on a 9100G

edit: well guess what? another problem.. Kies now has trouble to recognize the phone! This is the first time i tried connecting it to the computer after the update and it's causing this issue! WTF?

also, device manager in windows shows an error with "CDC Serial" under Other Devices!

does anyone have any idea what to do?

This is my first experience with Samsung and Android.. after 3 years on apple.. & i've gotta say.. so far.. it sucks!

^ if you flashed firmware using Odin then Kies wont recognize your firmware & wont allow you to update. Think of it as Kies is the little brother of Odin, & it is jealous of its big brother's coolness. :p

^^ No. I'm a frigin noob to Android/Samsung... so everything is stock! till i figure out how stuff works and what's the normal process to flash etc.. and that's exactly why im pissed as hell with the experience with Samsung!

everything on the damn phone is stock! i had a weird XWKH8 version on 2.3.4 which after the update went to 2.3.6 with XWKJ2. Everything was done with Kies itself!

Thats what i cant get.. WTF is with Samsung and their different versions which apparently have trouble being supported by their own official apps?

^ well if after the update. KIES has trouble recognizing your phone intermittently (let this be a lesson to you - KIES sucks, dont use KIES), do the following:

1.) Switch off your phone

2.) Press vol up + home + power at the same time

3.) You will get into the stock recovery mode, now use the volume down button to scroll to wipe cache/partition & select wipe cache/dalvik cache by pressing the screen or the power button.

4.) Let it wipe the cache, Now exit recovery & reboot.

5.) On the homescreen press menu button & select settings, under settings -> applications, disable unknown sources & usb debugging if enabled.

6.) Reboot phone

7.) Connect to PC using KIES

Just let KIES detect the connection problem. It will re-install the driver, then connect the phone. I have faced this problem 2-3 times, but its fixed easily.

devvfata1ity said:
^ well if after the update. KIES has trouble recognizing your phone intermittently (let this be a lesson to you - KIES sucks, dont use KIES), do the following:

1.) Switch off your phone
2.) Press vol up + home + power at the same time
3.) You will get into the stock recovery mode, now use the volume down button to scroll to wipe cache/partition & select wipe cache/dalvik cache by pressing the screen or the power button.
4.) Let it wipe the cache, Now exit recovery & reboot.
5.) On the homescreen press menu button & select settings, under settings -> applications, disable unknown sources & usb debugging if enabled.
6.) Reboot phone
7.) Connect to PC using KIES

I didnt need to do all that. What i did is the following.
1. Uninstalled Kies
2. Got the latest version from the website.
3. Ran a registry cleaner after the uninstall
4. Rebooted. Ran the registry cleaner again (just in case)
5. Installed Kies
6. Rebooted
7. Connected the phone.

DONE. The phone drivers were reloaded and recognized by windows and the phone was accepted by Kies.
ambar_hitman said:
Just let KIES detect the connection problem. It will re-install the driver, then connect the phone. I have faced this problem 2-3 times, but its fixed easily.

I think it's high time i learn how to root and use the alternate to Kies.

I've been reading up on XDA but am still not clear on the process to follow (with the custom ROMS/ different kernel versions and what not) to add to it.. the I9100G sees relatively fewer posts on XDA. Also am not sure about the binary counter on the phone recording every custom ROM installation etc.

So if anyone here is a power Android user, i'd highly appreciate the guidance/Android 101 to flash/root/mod the SGS2 :hap2:

I've been reading up on XDA but am still not clear on the process to follow (with the custom ROMS/ different kernel versions and what not) to add to it.. the I9100G sees relatively fewer posts on XDA. Also am not sure about the binary counter on the phone recording every custom ROM installation etc.

BEWARE that I9100 Custom ROMS, root methods etc WONT work on I9100G and your phone will be bricked.

Refer this EXACT procedure to root I9100G:

Rooting your Samsung Galaxy SII (I9100G)

Go through the ENTIRE thread and see what users are experiencing.

And keep checking here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1302718&page=4

I have asked intratech to upload Indian CSC.

best thing to do right now, this clearly is misleading or maybe just a mistake.. write an email. see what they have to say. as you say there is a hardware difference in the model with and without G, you should be getting the exact product mentioned on the box. keep all the emails that you send and receive.. the whole communication should be properly filed. if they agree and replace your product fine.. if not.. keep pursuing them writing emails every 2nd day. and collect all their replies. when you have about 10 to 15 records, send them another email telling them that you've all the records, and threaten them with consumer court. .i have seen first hand instances with my neighbours where this has worked. inspite that, if they are unwilling, spare some time and file the matter with the consumer court properly explaining to them why you think you've been misled and have not been treated fairly.. it usually takes some effort, but the consumer courts are known to handle matters quite fast. fight this even if it takes some time and effort. :)

PS: go to the market once, and see if they've any boxes with G written on them.

^Thanks for the advice, but it seems you didn't read the whole topic completely. I am sticking with I9100G instead of getting it replaced. Main reason being Samsung released an official update for it via KIES and NOT for I9100. This removed my fear of I9100G being not supported by Samsung. Also, CM9 guys just announced that Ti OMAP 4 chipsets will be getting ICS update of their mod as well. And slowly and slowly, there are more mods cropping up along with rooting methods that work.

devvfata1ity said:
Glad it worked out for you. The KK5 firmware is really fast & gives great battery life. With heavy use I am getting a day's back up now :)

Well these are my observations:

1. The phone is very fast now with normal usage. Zero lag :)
2. The scrolling has become super smooth even with a live wallpaper & many widgets.
3. The wifi performance is better. The phone holds on to wifi signal much better now.
4. Cellular performance is better with better signal reception.
5. GPS fixes on location quicker.
6. Browser is hell fast now. Flash enabled websites load in jiffy.
7. As per my perception, the color profile is looking better balanced now (less saturated colors in movies) although i might be wrong.
8. More settings in camera app & pics come out with better colors now.

Now the drawbacks

1. Blue overscroll effect even in browser is not cool. (been there since 2.3.5)
2. Audio quality is still piss poor

Late reply.. But these are my observations

Good
1. Phone appears to be faster than before
2. More free RAM.. RAM used to hover around 620 Mb mark, while now it hovers around 450 Mb
3. GPS fix has become faster
4. Significant improvements when it comes to quadrant scores.. Used to get around 3600.. Got a mammoth 4214 after 3rd consecutive run.. Pretty impressive
5. Fonts(especially in message app) seems to have decreased in size. I like it better this way
6. Yet to take any pics and see.. Had problem with pink spot in camera before

Bad
1. On the contrary, wifi not so good for me. Used to hang on to connection better with 2.3.3. Now phone drops connection in between but quickly reconnects
2. Irritating vibrate icon on the top. Looks like its been there since 2.3.5
I guess the ROM I've got is a UK one as I see BBC iPlayer and Music Hub which does not work here..

Ok guys, Gaurav of Fonearena confirmed on twitter that Samsung Officials have stated that I9100G will replace I9100 in India. There are few remaining stocks of I9100, so those who want to buy, search and get I9100 before it goes out of stock. This is probably the reason why I9100 update was not released via KIES.

Here is his tweet:

The news regarding replacing the I9100 with I9100G is confirmed with respective officials in India

the I9100 is replaced so it will be available only till stocks last which are already imported in India

https://twitter.com/#!/gauravh1

^ well this is certainly a sad turn of events..but the end-user is not losing out on anything by getting the G. I think this news is quite possible considering all the online retailers have increased the price of the i9100.

Letsbuy - 30200 from 28500

Flipkart - 30200 from 28499

Indiaplaza - 30200 from 27990

Saholic - 29900 from 28990

ebay - 28225 from 27690

sulekha - 28849 from 24999

This clearly indicates these retailers are trying to take advantage of the remaining inventory. Also can confirm all the white S2s in India are G only.

But the sad thing is that the box is of I9100. Few guys got G version from Sulekha. Buyer HAS to confirm the model number on the box before buying. COD is the best option now.

This is what i did even i got the same thing i went to the seller he hooked me up with the dealer even he was not aware so he hooked me the technical marketing guy i had a small spat with him ,he at his best tried to sell me 9100G but i didnt accept i got replaced by the orignal 9100 on the same day. the thing is Samsung is purposefully selling 9100g inside 9100 box all the October boxes have 9100g inside it i had two boxes of October in front of me all ere having a 9100g inside a 9100 box

^Well I can confirm that it is indeed the case, that all SGS2 boxes having manufacturing date of Oct-11 are Gs only. The non-Gs I am able to find everywhere are from the August-11 batch (even from online retailers)

ambar_hitman said:
But the sad thing is that the box is of I9100. Few guys got G version from Sulekha. Buyer HAS to confirm the model number on the box before buying. COD is the best option now.

How exactly does COD help? There's no way to know if the phone is a G without opening the box, and AFAIK you can't open the box before paying the COD amount.

ambar_hitman said:
^Checking the product code on the imported by sticker helps. There I9100G has separate code. Check 2nd or 3rd page of this topic.

ok so this
webserver2009 said:
Product code I9100LKGINU << This is I9100G and I9100LKAINU << This is for I9100 . also check sammy r contact us/feedback link this G is available
is mentioned on the box label itself?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok just saw the next page, the sticker has it.

Back