Help me choose a gaming controller

You're welcome :)

The pair that I ordered in 2018 had better build quality than 2021. I never saw any drops in the 2018 version but once in one hour or two in the 2021 version. If you keep the USB dongle well exposed, you won't get any drops.

I use a TPLink USB3 hub with two 2.4GHz dongles and one USB WiFi dongle, works fine for me.

They go for sale rather frequently, I bought them for 1445 last month.

Regarding the return option. That isn't available but you need to call the customer care, explain that you're having such and such problems and the product isn't upto the mark. I told them they shouldn't even be selling such a low quality product. They told that refund option will only open after 2 replacement. I told them keep them coming, they shipped new controllers, I again initial return. The second time refund option opened up.
Alright, I think I will take a chance with the Redgear. Not looking to get a USB A hub, instead planning to go with a USB C to A hub since it's the least used port on my laptop anyway (apart from a DAC being connected to it 24x7 lol), and I require a SD Card adapter as well. If the quality, or connection, is not up to the point, then I guess I'll just have to refund the long way about and then go for the Series controller. But only if the controller doesn't play well, and I hope my luck doesn't screw me over too hard. Thanks a lot for helping me out!

I assume I am on the right track, xbox controllers are on the way and I'm unnecessarily getting puzzled for no reason.
& don't think it's worth saving 3k buying 8bit controllers over xbox.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Xbox ones are the best overall. I have wasted a lot in cheap controller, almost 10k. Would have bought 2 XBox controllers for the price was I willing to spend 10k once.

The ergonomics also play a major role. The PowerA (shaped exactly like XBox) are very easy to hold, Redgear are also good to hold.
Alright, I think I will take a chance with the Redgear. Not looking to get a USB A hub, instead planning to go with a USB C to A hub since it's the least used port on my laptop anyway (apart from a DAC being connected to it 24x7 lol), and I require a SD Card adapter as well. If the quality, or connection, is not up to the point, then I guess I'll just have to refund the long way about and then go for the Series controller. But only if the controller doesn't play well, and I hope my luck doesn't screw me over too hard. Thanks a lot for helping me out!
You're welcome :)
It should work well on any USB hub.

Yes, they definitely are beautiful but are Switch versions. Might cause some issue. Also have slightly different shape WRT Xbox ones.

I ordered White ones because they were the cheapest at that time.

certainly white and black are both like default colors and cheapest. As for the shape I think it won't take more than 2days to get used to it.
but again that nintendo version liliac color looks amazing, wish they had the bluetooth versions for these controllers or atleast 2.4G.
let me get my hands on xbox series x controllers will then decide if I still need a 8bitdo or not.
the best part is xbox controllers got good resale value and I don't it's possible with ok brands like readgear or 8bit.

@TheCoolerPlayer My primary issue with budget controllers, even the Logitech f710s is the inadequacy of the thumbsticks. I don't know how to put it correctly, and I am not sure if it is the deadzones, but the seamless precision control using the thumbsticks is always missing in any controller other than the ds4 and the Xbox controllers.

I have never used the powerA's but redgears fall in the same bracket as logitech's, I.e the thumbsticks feel a bit off.

Vibration also always suck on the others. They feel too plastickey. Then, there is the in hand weight balance.

Edit:- I buy my controllers from gamestheshop. Always well packed and no chance of fakes.

Last edited:
@TheCoolerPlayer My primary issue with budget controllers, even the Logitech f710s is the inadequacy of the thumbsticks. I don't know how to put it correctly, and I am not sure if it is the deadzones, but the seamless precision control using the thumbsticks is always missing in any controller other than the ds4 and the Xbox controllers.

I have never used the powerA's but redgears fall in the same bracket as logitech's, I.e the thumbsticks feel a bit off.

Vibration also always suck on the others. They feel too plastickey. Then, there is the balance.

PowerA's analogue sticks definitely feel much better than the RedGear ones. I can't explain what or why.

GP300V2's sticks felt non uniform, like skips with little push.

I remember reading a multiple controller review somewhere, either here or on TDF. He compared a lot of controllers from cheap ones to XBox and DS4. I was trying to find out but couldn't find. If and when I find out, I'll post the link here. If anyone else finds it then also please post the link here.

Almost 2 year ago I sold my 2 ps3 controllers both original from PS3 slim and super slim. I was really happy and satisfied with those.
Sold my PS3 slim and the other one superslim import from US died in 1 year used only 2-3 times.
Tried using those controllers on PC and it worked, but using those motionjoy and ds3 or some softwares spoiled the joy and connection on a different PC using bluetooth dongle was horrible.
The only 3rd party controller I ever purchased was a cheap wired controller by Quantum QHM something and it still sells for 400-500 Rs. It was ok but everyone knows what to expect at this price.

I have an xbox controller which I bought used for 3.5k (they were retailing everywhere for 5k+) in almost mint condition. While I believe my usage has been modest, the left joystick now doesn't center perfectly like it used to, so I have to keep the deadzone bit wider. My guess it could be the spring which has come loose.

What I meant was, no matter how amazing the controller, there is still a decent chance that the hardware will not last long. Case in point -
(While we can clown on 'game journalists' it is good to recognize when they do decent stuff.

My brother's dualshock controller showed drift after 8 months lol.

I have an xbox controller which I bought used for 3.5k (they were retailing everywhere for 5k+) in almost mint condition. While I believe my usage has been modest, the left joystick now doesn't center perfectly like it used to, so I have to keep the deadzone bit wider. My guess it could be the spring which has come loose.

What I meant was, no matter how amazing the controller, there is still a decent chance that the hardware will not last long. Case in point -
(While we can clown on 'game journalists' it is good to recognize when they do decent stuff.

It can happen, I mean any electronic device may go faulty no matter even if it's local, Chinese or from the finest brands but when we buy a reputed brand atleast we are sure we can feel that smoothness.
warranty is available though this is the worst (just 3months for this xbox controller), Big brands should provide minimum 1year.

It can happen, I mean any electronic device may go faulty no matter even if it's local, Chinese or from the finest brands but when we buy a reputed brand atleast we are sure we can feel that smoothness.
warranty is available though this is the worst (just 3months for this xbox controller), Big brands should provide minimum 1year.
IIRC the newer XBox Series controllers have 1 year warranty. Not sure though, correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw some TronicsFix video where he fixed the analog stick drift issue by spraying something like WD40 in the potentiometer and moving the sticks around. Worth a try IMO.

Do keep in mind that if you plan to play Fifa on pc, the Series X/S controllers have a bug in the FIFA menu where each controller registers as two individual controllers. Also, key presses register
as two for every single press. The only way I could sort out this issue was using the controllers in wired mode which defeats the purpose. Apparently, this issue has been around since last year and
still not sorted so I had no choice but to return them.

I have a pair of Xbox 360 controllers since 2014 and they are still going strong. Wanted two more to play with friends, which I why I had purchased the series X controllers. After returning them,
placed an order of flipkart for the 360 controllers once more, since the feel is more or less the same (I actually prefer the 360 controller to the series X controller). The ones delivered by Flipkart
turned out to be fake so returned those as well and found a local shop selling used but genuine Xbox 360 controllers for 800 each which I picked up and happy with them currently. You could
go down this route too if you have any gaming shops or shops selling old stuff in your locality.

Do keep in mind that if you plan to play Fifa on pc, the Series X/S controllers have a bug in the FIFA menu where each controller registers as two individual controllers. Also, key presses register
as two for every single press.
This is something new you've told, so this issue is only with FIFA or other with games too ?

I only faced the issue with fifa, but like I said, I don't really play too many other games. Tried them with speed runners and they worked fine. I also noticed some lag on a couple of occasions when connected through Bluetooth but this was just 2-3 times over a period of around 2 hours. From the research I've done, the issue seems to happen mostly with fifa.

Finally settled with Xbox , thank you all for you support.

here' a brief first impressions for robot white controller -

* D-pad and analog sticks are relatively very small if I compare it with PS3 controllers. Overall build quality is solid and sturdy actually it's the difference between original and 3rd party controller.
* D-pad and buttons are clicky as suggested by youtubers, but I don't liked this tic tic sound (doesn't sounds premium to me)
* Connectivity is instant , takes only 2 seconds on windows 10 PC.
* battery ? too early to judge.
* triggers are very good but on PS3 or Ps4 it's more accurately positioned.

Overall it's very good controller but I'll reduce 1 star for clicky buttons and D-pad & half star for High price with limited 3 months warranty (not sure if it's 3 months only)
Let me play some games and It will take little time to get used to it but for now it's 3.5/5 from me.
Once again thanking you all for for valuable input and suggestions.

Last edited:
Back