Laptops Here comes the Sony Vaio E series - Budget Gaming

Yeah i went to CROMA once again.
And you are not gonna believe this. There were like a 5-7 guys examining the dead pixel thing. Then they agreed to replace this. I had originally got a black one and they had a white replacement, as they did not have any balck ones left. So i agreed. I thought white looked cooler. Then guess what. The new replacement had another black spot on the screen. I showed them that there itself.
Those guys got the cleaning kit and started cleaning it but then it didnt go.
So you guessed it. They gave me one more replacement. Again white. :eek:hyeah: WHite looks cool though. Its a Matte finish. I like matte better than glossy.
Battery life looks sub standard. Darn it. And you know what it has a Num pad too just like std keyboards.

I paid 38.9k. After bargaining they said, they would give me 2% discount or some accessories. I settled for the accesories. They are giving like 10 accessories. Mouse, keyboard guard, cooling pad, cleaning kit etc...

She looks pretty though.:p

Found a couple of interesting things on this vaio:

1. Sony is not part of ATI's catalyst driver development program. Hence new ATI catalyst drivers can't be installed.

2. The GPU is under-clocked to 450 MHz and latest games cannot played at full HD resolution.

3. And when i reduced the resolution to playable one (1280x720) the display was fuzzy, so not sure how games would look.

But for movies and casual usage, it seems a good bet. For gaming, I'm not sure. And the price is 47k.

Battery life is the only downer on this thing.. I guess with a dedicated powerful graphics card in this price range and Sony branding, something had to be wrong..

btw, did you guys use the dedicated Web button? It launches a browser without loading Windows 7. There is a dedicated browser called Splashtop. Loads under 10 secs :)

pradeep200417 said:
Yeah i went to CROMA once again.

And you are not gonna believe this. There were like a 5-7 guys examining the dead pixel thing. Then they agreed to replace this. I had originally got a black one and they had a white replacement, as they did not have any balck ones left. So i agreed. I thought white looked cooler. Then guess what. The new replacement had another black spot on the screen. I showed them that there itself.

Those guys got the cleaning kit and started cleaning it but then it didnt go.

So you guessed it. They gave me one more replacement. Again white. :eek:hyeah: WHite looks cool though. Its a Matte finish. I like matte better than glossy.

Battery life looks sub standard. Darn it. And you know what it has a Num pad too just like std keyboards.

I paid 38.9k. After bargaining they said, they would give me 2% discount or some accessories. I settled for the accesories. They are giving like 10 accessories. Mouse, keyboard guard, cooling pad, cleaning kit etc...

She looks pretty though.:p

The Vijay Sales guys tried this with me too. I told them that I will not pay the M.R.P as this was listed on the website as well and Sony products (and basically all companies) are sold well below MRP. So, he said that this was a new product and that's why the price was high.

I told him that I will not buy and if he can show me other products priced at their MRP from Sony, I would consider. So, he told me to give him a minute so that he can talk to his manager. I told him not to come back with Rs 100-200 off otherwise he should not come at all. Finally, he gave me Rs. 1000 off with a bag and the free accessories you mentioned.

Always bargain hard with them. You should have stated your bad experience to make them feel even more guilty. :)

jags1987 said:
^^..hey bro when is that review gonna come up :D

Sorry man, getting too overloaded at work. Can't bring myself to type after 8+ hours in front of the PC.. :(

Hopefully, it should be up this week.. fingers crossed :)

jags1987 said:
^^..hey bro when is that review gonna come up :D

Alright Sir, thanks to your reminder I managed to finish the review tonight. Do have a look! :)

Sei said:
Battery life is the only downer on this thing.. I guess with a dedicated powerful graphics card in this price range and Sony branding, something had to be wrong..

btw, did you guys use the dedicated Web button? It launches a browser without loading Windows 7. There is a dedicated browser called Splashtop. Loads under 10 secs :)

Just opened my Laptop once after getting it :p, so didnt try it.

A quick post about the CPU (rather than GPU) and that too for the Acer 5740 rather than Sony E - but since its the same proccy:

I'm spooked right now.

The Core i3 330M seems to be nearly giving my Q6600 a run for its money!

My 2.5 yr old AMD Turion x2 1.9 ghz laptop (65nm and costing nearly double then) is easily beaten.

Installed hardinfo (some good CPU tests) on linux and also ran:

Code:
time echo "scale=4000; a(1)*4" | bc -l

which calculated Pi to 4000 digits according to some website I found it on...

These tests either used just one core or all available threads.

So, basically for single core (if you take Ghz extrapolation into account) i3 seems to be as fast as a single core of the 65nm Q6600 !

For multithreaded tests like the CryptoHash hardinfo test where both i3 and Q6600 have 4 threads running (first one thanks to HT and other being a quad core)... the Q6600 is just 50% faster (or i3 is 30% slower if you look at it the other way)... so Intel's latest HT must be working well :D

And Core i3 / 330M is a freaking mobile low power CPU compared to the power sapping Q6600...

Makes me want to throw out my desktop and get the latest upgrade :)

A real eye opener about how prices/speeds/power consumption has improved in the last two years...

Posted a quick comparison against Acer Aspire 5740 in the Sony E review thread here: http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/sony-vaio-vpceb14n-review-162635-3.html#post1446907

The Acer Aspire 5740 basic model (3gb with intel video) is an excellent VFM option (which I bought for my Aunt) for those who dont do gaming but want a solid laptop that can be used for things like compiling software etc (office use)... even for ATI GPU the Acer's a probably better and if you want the slightly better build quality and nicer keyboard not to mention the Full HD screen and 1GB ATI card then the 50k MRP Sony E model B16 is an excellent buy IMHO...

So now I am thinking of waiting for few weeks/months before deciding if my budget is about 35k then to get the 4gb Acer model with intel video, if my budget can go to 50k then I will definitely get the Sony E model B16 with full HD screen and ATI 1gb GPU :)

no the b16 has good brightness and contrast - at least it looked real good in daytime (noon) inside croma showroom which has large windows :) but really you shouldnt be asking others this question - just go and see for yourself !!!

I was wondering which of these two laptops are good for gaming and graphic applications :

Acer Aspire 5740g
Sony vaio VPCEB16FG
If there is any other laptop with good specs for gaming and graphic applications below 50k Plz Lemme knw

kthxbye

^^thanks vishalrao ,

i checked out sony vaio B16 and acer 5470g at croma , the difference between the LCD's are huge .

sony's lcd are really stunning compaired to acer 5740g .

someone here posted , if the screen resolution was reduced than the native resolution the image would look fuzzy , but when i reduced the resolution 1980x1080 to 1280x720 and played a small HD movie then , there was very very little difference .

Now the only problem is that what would be the performance difference in game can anyone give me exact performance difference (in games) between acer 5740g and sony vaio B16 , as the only difference between the two is the processor , but will it affect in games .

^ If you reduce the resolution to anything less, the difference will be mainly in text, not in movies or gaming..

cool1 said:
^^thanks vishalrao ,
i checked out sony vaio B16 and acer 5470g at croma , the difference between the LCD's are huge .
someone here posted , if the screen resolution was reduced than the native resolution the image would look fuzzy , but when i reduced the resolution 1980x1080 to 1280x720 and played a small HD movie then , there was very very little difference .

Now the only problem is that what would be the performance difference in game can anyone give me exact performance difference (in games) between acer 5740g and sony vaio B16 , as the only difference between the two is the processor , but will it affect in games .

Yeah Sei is right, you should not worry much about resolution.

cool1 said:
^^thanks vishalrao ,

Have the same question.
Is there really a conspicuous difference between i5 430m and i3 330m for gaming?
how about 6 months down the line? will they both, then give almost the same performance for new high-end demanding games?

vip said:
NFS shift on VPCEB14N.........?

Shift runs smooth at toned down settings.. no lag. However, I still have to look into the underclocking part ( someone mentioned ) done by Sony. At the moment, it runs smoothly without issues.

ra13 said:
Have the same question.
Is there really a conspicuous difference between i5 430m and i3 330m for gaming?
how about 6 months down the line? will they both, then give almost the same performance for new high-end demanding games?
^ Even i am having the same question. Can anyone help with the cpu confusion

Back