Homefront - Discussion Thread

It's pretty violent alright. The introduction cut-scene had some pretty horrific and brutal scenes. The performance is really shoddy for an UE3 based title.

Began the game today after completing Bulletstorm. This title is definitely miles ahead of the usual war-based FPS title. The recent Medal of Honor for instance. The storyline is pretty good with a character-driven gameplay. The graphics though not the best looks pretty decent on the Dx11 mode. Was able to max it out on the present system with solid frames throughout. The outdoors were looking good but the details of the gun were pretty sad esp. noticeable when the scope/iron sights are being used. Generally when the scope or iron sights are used, the outer areas become a bit dull to improve the focus on the center subject. In this case, the gun appeared pixelated and the details were completely flawed! The movement system is again not the best - MW2 and BF:BC2 had one of the best movements within the game. Solid and the character doesn't act frenzy!

Product placements seem to have inspired this game as well and one could notice TigerDirect stores (computer retail outlet like Newegg popular in the US), Full Throttle (energy drink), Hooters (restaurant chain in the US), White Castle (another restaurant chain in the US) - pretty good coming from the developer. I wish many other devs could think on similar lines. Alan Wake was the other game I recall having used extensive product placement techniques. Instead of faking real brands, using actual brands could impart a wee bit of realism within the game if anything.

Yes. The game is better than MOH (no doubt) and probably even better than Black Ops. BTW i think i completed the game in DX 9 (forgot there was DX 11 in this game) :ashamed: *already uninstalled*

The Story is the best thing about this game. Plus this game is emotional as well. Like in one of the beginning scenes you see a kid crying when his parents were killed, damn that was a sad scene.

Oh fcuk man, that went a bit overboard considering the game had just begun. The bus takes the corner, those KPA soldiers shoot down the parents and the child runs crying. :'(

In another instance, laying down presuming dead in that hole dug on the ground amidst a bunch of dead bodies. :(

They've indeed got the right person to script the story for the game - John Millus. The same dude behind Apocalypse Now.

My initial impression of the game is not very positive I am afraid. I really wanted to like this game because I liked its premise and I love a game which tells a good story. Even after the average press it received, I had faith in it and wanted to try it out. I had just completed Mass Effect 1 & 2 and before that Crysis 1 & 2, so the bar was automatically set very high for this one. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a pretty average affair. The graphics were disappointing, but even more disappointing was the not so good framerate. Considering that both Mass Effect and Crysis are miles ahead of Homefront in the graphics department, it should have run more smoothly. I would have overlooked its mediocre graphics if it had a decent gameplay to save its life, but it disappointed me at that front too. The gameplay just felt like a cheap Call of Duty clone gone bad. Everything from guns to fluidity of movement, I could tell that there was something amiss. This is my initial impression though. I have only played an hour and half of this game and didn't feel like returning to it, maybe I will finish it just for the heck of it sometime later.

The average ratings are totally justified IMO. It is a pretty mediocre game. Again, the premise was good but the execution wasn't. As far as comparing it to MOH and Black ops is concerned, there is no comparison to be honest. While MOH too is an average game, it was fun in parts. Black ops on the other hand was one of the best and most underrated COD titles and doesn't deserve all the hate that it has been getting lately.

Completed the game few minutes back. The last few levels raised the expectations I've had for the game. Real classy. The last confrontation happens on the Golden Gate bridge encountering some real heavy resistance from the KPA. Calling in on air support on the bridge remotely and guiding the missiles a la COD:MW2, using the M200 climbing atop the watch tower, taking down those sentries sneaking beneath the bridge - were some awesome moments. Kaos has no doubt done a good job, but they could've polished the game a bit. No major complaints otherwise. The campaign clocked roughly 6 hours for me on the normal difficulty. War-based FPS lovers can give this a shot IMO.

But assuming that the Unified Korea could take on a major power such as the US is a little hard to digest. The year is 2025 though. :p

I'd rate it a 7.5 on 10. Off to Hydrophobia Prophecy/Brink.

I am loving this game. It was in my backlog. However one problem, my 4870 1GB gives me 62 fps(V sync on, otherwise tearing) for the most part - but then sometimes the frame rate just drops to 20s for fraction of a second. It is annoying. It mostly happens at the end of a firefight or when the objective is updated.

The story is pretty good, was bored of cod style gameplay, especially since blackops turned out to be so disappointing.

Back