Hot Debate : Unicorn or Pulsar?

You cant put Alloys for the Unicorn(at least not the Bajaj ones) coz they are 17" while the Unicorn has 18" rear tyres.

The 17" tyres oif the Pulsars improve handling tremendously.

And the Mileage depends. Usually(this is my observation) guys with Pulsars dont know how to keep their right wrist in control and so get lesser mileage. But with the unicorn, it doesnt make you want to wring out every last BHP from the bike, and so, people get better mileages.

But I do know of one guy who gets around 55 and above on his P 150 when riding decently.

Whatever we post here regarding mileages could be miles away from reality. A lot depends on your riding style and how well you maintain your bike(like not revving the engine too much in the first 2000kms, getting it serviced promptly, etc).

@Wraith --- No fight intended. :)

But you say the Pulsars had scary handling?? That was because they handled so well that people got confidence to corner at higher speeds than in other bikes. The Pulsars have been one of the best handling bikes in India and they still are brilliant. And the handling just got better with 17" tyres

Last edited by a moderator:
But you say the Pulsars had scary handling?? That was because they handled so well that people got confidence to corner at higher speeds than in other bikes. The Pulsars have been one of the best handling bikes in India and they still are brilliant. And the handling just got better with 17" tyres

The older pulsars did have a bit scary handling...i can bet on anything that at that time the CBZ was a much better handler at high speeds..i had personally tried both on the highway and i was a bit jittery riding the Pulsar 150 at 100 kmph..nothing as such with the CBZ.. the culprit then was the Pulsar's smaller wheel base..the CBZ had a longer wheelbase which aided in straight line ability..plus thicker tyres on the CBZ improved ride tenfold...

The newer pulsars (DTSI) had the wheelbase rectified and stretched a bit more and then they handled better..but the UNICORN had a stretched out stance which was a tad longer than CBZ..so it helped induce confidence at high speeds on straight roads..

Though i would definitely want to see thicker rubber in the unicorn and not just stickers...anyways i am happy i bought my unicorn earlier as the new bike decals suck big time..

My take on the subject (coz I decided on the Unicorn this week)

Cayotee has mentioned the Pros n Cons.. I'll give the summary of my conclusion.

Pulsar: looks good, rides OK. good accelration. Didnt like the Seating posture (u need to stoop a li'l to the front). Pillion ride is bad.

Unicorn: looks good. Rides good. didnt feel much difference between my kine n Uni in acceleration. seating is comfortable. pillion ride is better than Pulsar. 60 or so mileage is good incentive.

ALmost booked the Unicorn.. then heard (rumours) of SUzuki launching 2 new bikes 125cc n 150cc shortly. so thot i'll wait. :D

^^ I've been hearing that since JAnuary this year...but according to reliable sources(BS Motoring), the first bike to come out of the Suzuki factory will be a 125cc by mid 2006 and followed by a 150cc in last quarter 2006 or 1st quarter 2007. So..now...are you going to wait that long for your bike masky?? ;)

BTW,if it was my choice, i'd prefer a honda to suzuki anyday..but thats just me.. :)

rx-100 is my all time fav it can be modded to helll widout compromising on the mileage..

btw my vote goes fer unicorn i like the looks n it really looks like a beast..

btw no cbz anyone??

Guys, Can I get Alloy Wheels for Unicorn??!!

I wanted to add another dimension to the debate by asking if anyone had any views about the TVS GLX 125 aka Traficutter :D, is it any good??

If am getting alloy wheels on the Uni, then its 99% certain I'll go for the Uni, else its a Pulsah for me :D.

DC.

U know i had high expectations for the Unicorn. Expected it to be something of a bike what RX100 was when launched in the mid-80s.. jap engine, gr8 pick-up, awesome ride.. just perfect!!! but Unicorn wasnt. Hoping Suzuki will recreate teh Jap magic :)

CaaYoTee said:
So..now...are you going to wait that long for your bike masky?? ;)

hehe.. not really.. i'll buy this month or the nxt ;)

@Mask--- True.... If you look at the Unicorn objectively, it is a good bike. But considering what epople were expecting, it was a big letdown.

Nikhil said:
@Mask--- True.... If you look at the Unicorn objectively, it is a good bike. But considering what epople were expecting, it was a big letdown.

'

You see, the Uni may not be a flashy product like a Pulsar DTSI but it did deliver what honda promised...in a time when bike manufacturers go overboard with their mileage ratings, honda promised a humble 60kmpl which the Uni gave under normal riding conditions(not ideal riding conditions)..secondly, the company says that the bike's top speed is a 100kmph when all magazines have proved that the Uni goes well upto 114kmph max...

and considering the number of unicorns u see on roads, it has already been a sale success..

So i wont say that it is a big let down...i guess those who buy the Unicorn know what they want(and similarly those who buy pulsar know what they want :) ) and i havent come across a single guy who is not satisfied wid his Unicorn.. :)

Darthcoder,

you can get the alloy wheel from the aftermarkets and i have seen a few unis with alloys here in mumbai..though i wud never do that and suggest you to think before you get it modified..

i am happy wid the spokies...:) the risk of screwing up handling and mileage is too much for the taking..

@CaaYoTee --- I agree that the Uni is a brilliant bike. I dod not dispute that :p

All I said that people were expecting better looks, better performance and better features from the Uni. I mean the Uni did not even have an electric started initially!! WTF!!!

But now it has.

@CaaYoTee & wraith- I second almost everything you said!! (I am from Mumbai and would like to speak to you guys!! If thats ok, i will PM my cell no!)
@Mask- you too!!
And almost everyone else!!

@Nikhil- No offence but do you work at Bajaj?? Or you are a fierce brand loyal!!
Pardon my ignorance or limited knowledge but some of your comments were blasphemous/ridiculous!!

BTW, heard that Achiever has better fuel efficiency than Unicorn too but i dont believe till i get info from actual user/owner!!

The BikeMan(Bikenstein) says so..so I am thinking of a unicorn now :D.

My only grudge is the alloy wheels.

@Cayotee: How will the slloy wheels affect Mileage and other things in the bike??

Any views about the Traficutter aka TVS Victor GLX 125, guys??

DC.

DC..the trafficcutter sux...its just TVS experimenting.
Anyway Pulsars n Unicorns apart..we have to see how the Apache from the stables of TVS does. Based on its 'Chicane' concept bike (did anyone see that one?...it rocked)..this 150cc bike is rumoured to have the best p/w ratio in its class.
Also, it has the alloy wheel treatment. Who knows, this 13.5 bhp'er might just click!

apachetop7lw.jpg

ok, on the topic, did i see somewhere in this thread that the pulsars rattle? I disagree with that cos i did 105kmph for over 7kms straight on a p150 and it was butter smooth. With the unicorn tho, u wont realise that ur doing a 100k's unless u double check the speedo :p..its just purrs!

Comin onto the spare section, if anyone saw Dec's OD, u will see the shoot-out. The Unicorn proves to be the cheapest bike to maintain :D.

Next, the pulsars gearbox: getting a false neutral when ur shifting from 4th to 5th @ 65kmph is NOT funny! Dont know when bajajs gonna fix this.

Seating position: The unicorn has a too upright position IMHO, and the pulsar's is okay for a sporty feelin. Tho, here i must say that the best riding position i ever found was on the good ol CBZ :bleh:

Suspension: one word, Unicorn :D

Acceleration: according to OD, the Uni will win the quarter mile drag by a notch.

Mileage: If u are one of those who rev the pulsar like it should be, then u can kiss its mileage goodbye:tongue:

so, the value for money for the unicorn is higher than the pulsar, tho nothing comes close to a pulsar's looks with its small mags and fat rear tyre :hap2:

@Bikey --- What comments made by me were so blasphemous?? :p I think I gave a very unbiased view of both bikes.

And I am not forcing anyone to buy the Pulsar. I just prefer the Pulsar myself and that became quite clear in my posts.

yup.... that is true... Thw 180's clutch is quite hard even when compared to the 150's. I asked the service guy abt that and he said that all P180s have harder clutches.

Well i have a CBZ....and i'd prefer the CBZ to any of the current 150cc bikes...

CBZ has the best riding posturen a very comfy seat...its the best handling bike(even Karizma is based on the same chassis)...the front disc brake is just awesome (only bettered by the monster on the Karizma)...i mean u can effortless throw the bike around corners and she'll be rock steady...and even at 110kmph the bike is damm stable.
A well maintained CBZ still looks damm sexy even today...also it has the only toe shifter like the big sports bikes :D
The only grouch is the mileage...i get abt 40-45km/l when i am riding sanely

Since the CBZ is no longer available is guess the best handling bikes today are the Karizma , Unicorn n Achiever.

Well since the CBZ is no longer available...The available options are Unicorn...Achiever...P150...LML Beamer(never seen one on the road yet!!)
TVS Fiero is a big no no...it has 4 gears!!

P150 its good in certain areas but as a whole package its kind of a let down coz of the things i mentioned earlier...one more thing the previous Pulsars didnt have a very good front disc brake!! I know know abt the latest P150 with the 17" wheels...

Also the Unicorn n Achiever have the same engine....all the switchgear is the same...So its better to go for the Unicorn since it looks better n has a monoshock at the rear.
You can get aftermarket alloys...but usually they arent that good coz most of them are of poor quality and tend to crack.
As for the rear tyre being skinny...u can get it changed @ the showroom itself..get the Dunlop 100/90(much better than the damm zappers!!!) its costs only 800/-
If u are more adventurous get a 120/80 Pirelli or Michelin....they wont degrade peformance in anyway and u wont require any modifications

PS: I am a big HH n Honda fan boy :D :D

Back