How do I get full internet speed on PC?

chetansha

Skilled
hi guys, i see my speed is 200+ mbps wheni check speed on speedtest. but when i download files ( from microsoft) ( using wifi 5ghz), i get only 10/12MB mbps via browsrer what do i do to get full speed on PC. when i use IDM, speed goes to 16MB/s. if real speed is
240 Megabits (Mb)
=
30 Megabytes (MB)

Attachments

• image_2023-07-31_100755418.png
    image_2023-07-31_100755418.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image_2023-07-31_100828221.png
    image_2023-07-31_100828221.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
hi guys, i see my speed is 200+ mbps wheni check speed on speedtest. but when i download files ( from microsoft) ( using wifi 5ghz), i get only 10/12MB mbps via browsrer what do i do to get full speed on PC. when i use IDM, speed goes to 16MB/s. if real speed is
240 Megabits (Mb)
=
30 Megabytes (MB)

Not every server will give you your full downloading speed.
Try downloading a 4K video from youtube and check if you get around 25 MB/s.
Also in task manager, open the performance > WiFi /ethernet. Check if speed hits 25 MB/s or more

240 Megabits (Mb)
=
30 Megabytes (MB)
I believe the speedtest screenshot which you posted is done directly on Asus router configuration page (192.168......). You'll get the maximum download speed on the router.

Try doing a speedtest directly on your 5GHz WiFi device (mobile/laptop) and see if you get 240Mbps. Run it multiple times with different servers.

As stated above, the server side can also be a bottleneck (although less likely with Microsoft). Here in your scenario, the speed drop is most likely due to WiFi.

I believe the speedtest screenshot which you posted is done directly on Asus router configuration page (192.168......). You'll get the maximum download speed on the router.

Try doing a speedtest directly on your 5GHz WiFi device (mobile/laptop) and see if you get 240Mbps. Run it multiple times with different servers.

As stated above, the server side can also be a bottleneck (although less likely with Microsoft). Here in your scenario, the speed drop is most likely due to WiFi.
from pc .

Attachments

• image_2023-07-31_153737196.png
    image_2023-07-31_153737196.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 69
on pc - 13 to 14 MB/s
That is weird. Try changing the Speedtest server from Airtel Coimbatore to something else. For eg. set it to Jio Delhi in SpeedTest and see how much you get.

Sometimes, the speedetst results are falsly inflated when it is tested against the ISPs own servers.

View attachment 174029
Downloading at full 1 Gbps
Nice speed..!!
Whenever in doubt, I test aginst Apple's servers. They have great bandwidth.

Last edited:
@chetansha
  • What's the exact model of the Wi-Fi module on your PC?
  • After wireless negotiation, how much speed is shown under the network status window?
    bt08Z.png
  • I'm using Ethernet and can saturate Airtel's "Up to 200 Mbps" offering by getting ~30 MBPS from servers like Microsoft and Apple.

@chetansha
  • What's the exact model of the Wi-Fi module on your PC?
  • After wireless negotiation, how much speed is shown under the network status window?
    bt08Z.png
  • I'm using Ethernet and can saturate Airtel's "Up to 200 Mbps" offering by getting ~30 MBPS from servers like Microsoft and Apple.
  • What's the exact model of the Wi-Fi module on your PC? - MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless LAN Card

Attachments

• image_2023-08-01_095715725.png
    image_2023-08-01_095715725.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 72
  • What's the exact model of the Wi-Fi module on your PC? - MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless LAN Card

How much download speed are you getting on your Mobile when connected with same WiFi?
Is this speed issue is particularly for Laptop or All WiFi connected devices?

How much download speed are you getting on your Mobile when connected with same WiFi?
Is this speed issue is particularly for Laptop or All WiFi connected devices?
What I don't get is SpeedTest is showing 240Mbps on his laptop connected via Wifi. So that much data is moving over wifi in between laptop and router.

@enthusiast29

Call me old school, but given my hands-on experience of dealing with a myriad of WLAN modules over a decade, I would like to see a local synthetic benchmark (e.g. iPerf) rather on blindly relying on the internet-based speed test site results. That way, you can also get a rough idea regarding the actual signal-to-noise ratio on top of the RSSI data.

@enthusiast29

Call me old school, but given my hands-on experience of dealing with a myriad of WLAN modules over a decade, I would like to see a local synthetic benchmark (e.g. iPerf) rather on blindly relying on the internet-based speed test site results. That way, you can also get a rough idea regarding the actual signal-to-noise ratio on top of the RSSI data.
While I totally agree with what you said and I also would have first wanted to see a benchmark over LAN, I'm under the impression that if online speedtest is reporting 240Mbps, problem with WiFi module can be ruled out? Am I wrong to assume that? Asking for learning purpose.

Although I would have atleast done online speed tests (against multiple servers on Speedtest and also on multiple sites) if not iPerf.

Myabe the 240 was a glitch (happens many times, i see 240 mbps speeds), as i am on 100mbps plan/ now speeds are back to normal . i checked with apple download , it shows 11/12 MB

Attachments

• image_2023-08-01_172347982.png
    image_2023-08-01_172347982.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 69
Back