How to create a VPN server on default Xstream router/Windows 10 PC?

mayank0623

Disciple
I'm trying to create a VPN tunnel from my laptop/phone to my home internet connection whenever I'm connected to public wifi. My Airtel fiber connection at home uses the default Nokia G-2425G-A router provided by the ISP. Is it possible to create a VPN tunnel using this router so all my internet traffic in public goes only through my home internet connection? I'd just use a commercial VPN but sometimes firewalls block those, though they let through some free sketchy ones like Ultrasurf, which I don't trust

Alternatively, is there any beginner friendly way to run a VPN server on my always on Windows 10 PC at home? I can't install Linux on it because my parents use it and they're only barely familiar with wWndows.

I use tailscale for literally this purpose. I have tailscale installed on my pi. Get to route all my internet traffic via my home internet and get the benefit of pinhole adblocking on public networks.

Have installed it on a spare laptop as well as a backup, also because pi restricts internet speed quite a bit.

You can use tailscale, or buy a router that supports OpenWRT and bridge the connection between airtel router and new router.

I'm trying to create a VPN tunnel from my laptop/phone to my home internet connection whenever I'm connected to public wifi. My Airtel fiber connection at home uses the default Nokia G-2425G-A router provided by the ISP. Is it possible to create a VPN tunnel using this router so all my internet traffic in public goes only through my home internet connection? I'd just use a commercial VPN but sometimes firewalls block those, though they let through some free sketchy ones like Ultrasurf, which I don't trust

Alternatively, is there any beginner friendly way to run a VPN server on my always on Windows 10 PC at home? I can't install Linux on it because my parents use it and they're only barely familiar with wWndows.

As mentioned above try Tailscale or ZeroTier both excellent free options, if your PC is behind a CGNAT you will not be able to access it even if you run a VPN from it, Tailscale or ZeroTier are both application layer and use distrubuted something logic hence work in CGNAT scenarios without any issues

I use tailscale for literally this purpose. I have tailscale installed on my pi. Get to route all my internet traffic via my home internet and get the benefit of pinhole adblocking on public networks.

Have installed it on a spare laptop as well as a backup, also because pi restricts internet speed quite a bit.

As mentioned above try Tailscale or ZeroTier both excellent free options, if your PC is behind a CGNAT you will not be able to access it even if you run a VPN from it, Tailscale or ZeroTier are both application layer and use distrubuted something logic hence work in CGNAT scenarios without any issues
Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried using Tailscale before and it seemed to get stuck connecting forever, which indicates to me whatever public wifi I was using at that moment had some firewall blocking it. Will try out Zerotier and see if it works

Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried using Tailscale before and it seemed to get stuck connecting forever, which indicates to me whatever public wifi I was using at that moment had some firewall blocking it. Will try out Zerotier and see if it works

I personally user ZeroTier running off a Pi to access my network from outside, but it is not all simple when you want to browse your home network from outside, some config changes and managed routes need to be added, I'm short on time otherwise would have put an elaborate guide on it

I personally user ZeroTier running off a Pi to access my network from outside, but it is not all simple when you want to browse your home network from outside, some config changes and managed routes need to be added, I'm short on time otherwise would have put an elaborate guide on it
I'm thankful for the suggestion nonetheless. Not sure if Zerotier works on windows machines but I'll try to figure something out

Back