How to diy a steam downloader headless?

You know how fast internet connections are in India and I usually find myself in a fix - should I leave my PC on for 2-3 days to download a 30 -40 gb game(s). Power consumption and Rs. 9 / unit ......

So is there a way to build a steam headless downloader like people have for torrents using either dd-wrt routers or Raspberry Pi and Odroid c1.
I want it to support steam, gog, origin and uplay!!
Please give me some suggestions

Pick up a cheap celeron NUC and install steam on a mounted remote drive (maybe on a nas). Then keep it on 24/7 and let it update the network location. You'd need an x86 pc as steam only works on x86. Rpi, odroid etc won't work.

Pick up a cheap celeron NUC and install steam on a mounted remote drive (maybe on a nas). Then keep it on 24/7 and let it update the network location. You'd need an x86 pc as steam only works on x86. Rpi, odroid etc won't work.
Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain me in detail how would I be able to do that. I can do NAS.
What all components would be required?

Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain me in detail how would I be able to do that. I can do NAS.
Install windows, map network drive of the common location where you want your games to be,
Here are the steps
-> On the nas, setup an area and enable SMB sharing with read/write perms
-> From the NUC, map this location with the correct path
-> Download steam setup and set it up to this location
-> Now copy over your entire steam folder to the same location from your gaming pc
-> Run steam from NUC, login and update as required
-> Setup a sync job using scheduler that periodically copies the steam folder located at the network location to your gaming pc steam folder

This is what I do on both my gaming PCs. In my case, the storage/download pc are the same.

Awesome inputs. Thanks a ton bro.

Can I use a compute stick? Which would be better - NUC or Compute Stick?
I am getting Compute stick at around 6K from Canada!

btw those headphones have been shipped!!

well last option would be, if you can do bit of programming, then find out the APIs and do same. It takes time and effort if you are not a programmer.

I am a game programmer and have been working with engine API's for way too long.
This angle seems very intresting. Can you give me some pointers.
Steam is non open source though!

I am a game programmer and have been working with engine API's for way too long.
Then you can easily do it.

1. You need to intercept and inspect HTTP requests. If you are on Windows, install this tool called Fiddler and if you are on OSX, then MITM Proxy
2. I don't how you would configure Fiddler, but basically it gives a proxy server address something like localhost:8000 and you use that in your steam app
3. Then every request made by steam will be intercepted by Fiddler.
4. Now you have to figure which all APIs are used for authentication, authorization, downloading etc.
5. And then you can write your own app to do same

Depending on how Steam app is written, it may be very easy or very complex.

And yeah, Intel Compute Stick is better.

Last edited:
Guys I have hardware encryption on my Office laptop(McAfee Endpoint encryption)
If I connect any mass storage device(HDD,Pen drive,Micro SD reader etc.) to any USB port I cannot write to the external HDD without encrypting it.

I can write directly to a mapped network drive from my PC which is what I do with my headless Atom powered rig.

Now when I am outside home I need to attach a USB drive to my PC as a shared drive and so I was looking into the Raspberry Pi

My MO will be like this-
1)Connect USB drive to Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B
2)Set up the USB drive as a network share
3)Connect the Pi to the PC over LAN patch cable(Direct connection without a router) or over a LAN connection via router.
4)Access the shared drive over the LAN patch cable.

Is it possible without much issues?Do I need to carry a Keyboard Mouse always or can I rest assured after initial setup of the Pi?

Just a gist would be okay

Thanks in advance[DOUBLEPOST=1446127194][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry posted in wrong thread.How do I move it to this thread?
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/raspberry-pi-queries.176380/page-8
Buggered up while switching between multiple Chrome tabs

Last edited:
I have two motherboards lying around which I used in my head less rig
This is a single core 1.8 Ghz Intel Atom and I also have the 2 GB Corsair RAM stick(low profile laptop RAM)
http://ark.intel.com/products/48951/Intel-Desktop-Board-D425KT

This is an AMD E350N mobo that I upgraded to
Please note that this one uses desktop RAM and has a dual core E350 APU(1.6 Ghz)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4461#sp

I have upgraded to a J1800 and hence these two are lying around.
If you want I can give these to you(shipping charges only).Need to get rid of these

Back