How to start a forum

I had a good Experience working and Administrating with Simple Machine Forums.They are pretty easy and well styled for Editing and modifications and get installed easily.

You will get enough of required plugins , themes and addons for the forum.

Its fast and simple , yet features lots of qualities and is more like what a Forum /Bulletin Board should be. i.e. Focus on posts and Threads.

Plus its free of cost.
<

The only problem I had was with initial 2.x version of it , while creating a new thread.But it seems to have resolved by now.

Compared to SMF , PhpBB3 seemed a little complex and heavy to me.

VBulletin is the best one out there , when it comes to premium BBoards , and its worth it.!

Get a hosting (with cpanel) + domain. You can install phpBB and other community board applications via CPanel. If you are going for a free board then go for MyBB, pretty easy to manage.

I am also thinking about starting a forum. But confused between VB and IPB. Which one should I buy?

I have heard that VB is going downhill after v4 and also worried about IPB server uses.

Can't decide anything, suggestions needed!

TO Ivhere - ^I would not give a second thought for VB , if I were on Shared hosting and if it was the first time I was starting a Community.

I have not used IPB communities a lot , since most of the forums I browse or Log in except TE , are powered by VB. So I guess , it has more plugins and bigger support group.

THe most important thing I would be looking forward while starting a new Forum would be the SEO capabilities the BB software has to offer. Since I need more and more users , as Forum is nothing w/out members.

So choose wisely.!!

Hrishi.

for a forum posting all u need to ve is a domain name..
happy posting...

Back