HTC HD2 vs IPHONE 3GS

mjumrani

Skilled
hey guys.
i need to buy a phone for my dad. since im looking for finger touch phones instead of stylus, i need to decide between HTC HD2 and apple iphone 3gs but i cant decide. both are totally different platform. i personally own a 3gs n love it but wht shld i get him???
please give me ur inputs n suggestions...
TIA :)

@ZeroCool... LOL. You're an idiot :p

1) Comparing the MotoQ to an iPhone.

A non touchscreen device with an insignificant 300 MHz processor that used to sell for about less than 1/3rd the price of a current gen Capacitve touchscreen iPhone. You sure know how to make a point :p

2) Talking the HD2 down and asking everyone here to compare it with an iPhone 3Gs when clearly you haven't even seen the HD2, let alone use it.

3) Trying to draw a difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone. LOL.

I hope you do realise that it is exactly the same device minus phone functionalities and we are (including you) afterall talking about UI exprience which is again the same between the 2 devices.

4) XDA Custom F/W is buggy?

That's a first. It's probably because you bought the cheapest WinMo device out there with the least amount of support. Buy a real WinMo device that costs a little more than your shoes and then try XDA.

5) iPhone vs. WinMo sales?

It was designed for normal, regular users; just like most of Apple's products. Besides, Apple's marketing has always been great. Owning an Apple product is making a style statement. You know how people dig into that. They have a term for it... it's called Herd Mentality. WinMo (not WinPhone) on the other hand is more of a tweaker / business user's OS. You can't really compare their sales silly.

6) HD2 not getting the Win Phone 7 upgrade?

Honestly, who cares? Show me one WinMo user that doesn't use custom F/W from XDA. If you really were an avid XDA user like you claimed, you would know that the F/W they put out is better than any stock F/W and that they can put just about anything on you phone including Windows Phone 7 Series. (I think I mentioned somehwere that Android, Ubuntu and Win98 were currently operable on the higher end WinMo phones). Let's see your iPhone do that.

7) iPhone firmware upgrade? LOL.

You do realise that with every F/W upgrade they only give you features that Rs. 5k phones have had as a standard for over 8 years and something you should have had to begin with?

BT A2DP, MMS, BT Tethering, BT conenctions between iPods and iPhones.

Take a look at the iPhone F/W changelog. It's funny to see how many revisions they have to go though to give you the most basic functionality.

Apple would get sued by everyone after paying 30k for their phones if they didn't provide an F/W update to include these things. :p

It's obviously clear that you are just shooting blanks and are definitely not a credible source for an objective opinion. In the wise words of a wise man... SHUT IT ;) (BTW... I love the avatar. Mogambo was the shiznit)

@OP Dude, I think I came off as an iPhone hater. Not really. I do think it's a great phone; just not for me. Like I said earlier, as far as ease of use is concerned, it's one of the best phones out there and would definitely be a good pick for your dad who obviously won't be tinkering with it a lot.

I own both these devices and each has their own pros & cons.

I've to agree with others statement about Apple's environment being pretty closed - But that's the reason the UI has been kept pretty simple for end users. Apps for the Iphone is a huge plus, But there are hardly 3-4 Apps which I use regularly. I also like the way iTunes operates, yes it's a bloated application however it does the job nicely for me. Also I found the audio quality better on Iphone with my Klipsch headphones. Browsing is as smooth as butter on Safari - I've never worried about lack of flash support. I also find pinch to zoom more accurate in Iphone. Major let down for me on Iphone is the Camera, it's meh - okay for Day light picture. Another let down is Battery - I've had days when it died half way through so an external battery charger is a must for heavy user.

HD2 is a brilliant phone if you want to tweak around. The Sense UI within the phone just hides the ugly Win Mo in a nice way. HD2 has a huge support from XDA Forum guys - Media playback is top notch with 3rd party players like Core Player & TCMP Player. This is severely crippled in Iphone. One big thing was the screen, 4.3 inch screen is good for movies on the move. Also I find the Capacitive Screen close if not better than Iphone. Decent music playback and top notch Camera. You get 5 MP with Flash and it takes pretty good pictures. You can also run PS1 emulator to play most PS1 titles, Also has emulator for running SNES, Gameboy game. So you've huge collection of games equal to Iphone. I also found the call quality a little better on the HD2. There is also work currently happening in XDA Dev's to port Android to HD2, although we are months out at least. Browsing is a bit of hit and miss for me - May be I'm very used to Safari and hence the problem. I'm yet to try Skyfire which I've read is a decent browser.

Overall for your Dad I may recommend Iphone as it's just plain simple and ticks the major boxes. It may also be better to wait 1-2 months to see how HTC Desire pans out and there will be an Iphone 4G announcement added to that the HTC Supersonic - Android on HD2 hardware. Good luck with your search.

SumitB said:
Sorry to be hacking your thread mjumrani! But since we both are on the same boat, maybe this helps you also. :)

I too was inclined to get the Nexus One but am now sceptical about it. The thing is that I have a N97 which the wife is now eyeing. So she gave me an offer I could not resist. She is going to buy me a new phone (30-35k) and she wants to pocket my N97.

I was initially inclined towards the 3GS but I hate itunes. Agreed that there are other alternatives for syncing and all but still, I don't want to be restricted by Apple software. Also, since I will be getting the locked version, the thought of having to jailbreak everytime was not very comfortable!

Then I thought I will get the Nexus One. Did some reading and realised that the display is fragile and that it has some issues with the battery. So became sceptical.

Then came across the HD2. Fell in love with it. I have used Windows Mobile before and used to love it then. Suited me very well. Also, the people at xda are capable of doing anything with a WM phone. Also, there is news that HTC will indeed come up with a Windows Phone 7 rom for it. Only issue is that people are saying that its a little too late to get the HD2 now that MS has officially launched the Windows Phone 7 OS.

So I am now more confused than ever.
Where did you hear that from? I own a nexus one and the screen is quite tough. I even used without a protector for quite some time, carrying it in my pocket with other stuff but not a single scratch or anything.. Cleaning is as simple as wiping with a micro fibre cloth. Not even water required. I have put on a protector now but I feel like removing it..

And the battery is also not that bad..If I use it just as a phone, it easily goes more than 2-2.5 days. If I add some more usage like edge is always on, constant push mail, a bit of surfing etc, it goes for around 2 days. and if i play more, like some racing games, downloading apps etc then 1-1.5 days. I think that is quite good given the display (btw, all this is with live wallpaper and gps always on. I think it will become even better if i turn them off).

Another good thing about nexus is that screen is absolutely visible even with backlight turned off. I turn on backlight only if I'm outdoors in bright sunlight.

Satan said:
@ZeroCool... LOL. You're an idiot :p

Tsk Tsk tsk , Was that actually needed ? This statement makes you look like an illiterate dolt who likes making personal attacks at others for no reason at all. Do you want me to publicly humiliate you ? I am pretty sure if i intend to do so , so will have to run over to your bed crying not wanting to wake up again.

Next time try to adhere to forum etiquette .

It looks like you haven't read my above posts which clearly define that i use apple products as im an animator . Using itunes on an iMac is much better and natural than doing so in windows.

When asked that 'If you have used an Winmo' all i said was that Ive owned a MotoQ ( and it wasnt a good experience)...... where did i compare the two ? Are you blind or just plain retarded to assume so ?.

BTW, the shoes that i wear cost more than your fathers monthly salary .

P.S. stay clear of the personal attacks , this thread is for advising the original author, not for messing with me.

Google nexus i have used , it's lower home and back button's are very irresponsive and i have to press them 3-4 times. Overall about google nexus one the battery life was very good 1.5 days for me and the home screen and widgets will keep you busy.
HTC HD2, is a very good phone but it's OS Windows which is outdated, where OS like Andriod are the future.
Iphone 3gs is a very good classy phone no doubt it still has the same old design from it's last 2 models [2G/3G] still it has it's own standard.
Don't go for the google nexus one because if you from india you won't even get a warranty and why to take risk to pay something which cost's around 35K without warranty , huh !
And you can also wait for the HTC desire.

Zero Cool said:
Tsk Tsk tsk , Was that actually needed ? This statement makes you look like an illiterate dolt who likes making personal attacks at others for no reason at all. Do you want me to publicly humiliate you ? I am pretty sure if i intend to do so , so will have to run over to your bed crying not wanting to wake up again.

It looks like you haven't read my above posts which clearly define that i use apple products as im an animator . Using itunes on an iMac is much better and natural than doing so in windows.

When asked that 'If you have used an Winmo' all i said was that Ive owned a MotoQ ( and it wasnt a good experience)...... where did i compare the two ? Are you blind or just plain retarded to assume so ?.

P.S. stay clear of the personal attacks , this thread is for advising the original author, not for messing with me.
Hey Mr.animator, you started this with your biased comments.You gave expert comments on something which you have never seen or used.
Then came your motoQ experience and opinion on xda!!No matter how expensive shoes you wear(10 times my salary maybe) you are REALLY AN ....

Zero Cool said:

How can you expect someone from staying away from personal attacks after doing that yourself?

MotoQ is a smartphone and how can you compare the experience you had with such a device which doesn't have touch screen capability? with the present generation of touch devices?

Apple lets users upgrade the os because its os lacks complete functionality (which has been present from win mo 5 days) as rightly mentioned by satan.

The OP needs our help in making a decision and such comments are not helping him in any way.

@mjumrani you need to make a decision the HD2 is an advanced device capable performing the task of a Media Device, Phone and a PDA (Exchange Outlook, Office etc.) the iphone is a phone and a media device though you do not have the flexibility of playing different media like videos.

Check these links for head to head hardware comparison where the HD2 wins hands down:
HTC Leo (HD2) vs. iPhone 3GS | Redmond Pie

and this link will help you with the interface and os

HTC HD2 and Apple iPhone 3GS: side by side - page2 (Phone Arena Reviews)

Zero Cool said:

^You think you're the only one using an iPhone on a Mac? I have a macbook pro, iphone and ipod touch within arms reach ATM, and I'll reiterate - iTunes sucks. Apple's interface is amazing, everything else is strictly mediocre. The iPod Touch is a very good PMP, the iPhone is a very mediocre handset. I don't care if Steve Jobs himself pays you to design apps for Apple...I test these devices and have played with them all.

Your opinion is biased, but then you're a developer so it can't be helped...

And I am actually an Apple fan, mainly because they design devices that conform to human interactivity.

^About the shoes you wear, keep em man, they stink too much to be brought up on this forum. If I were a mod, I'd ban you outright for bringing up someone's father. If you brought up mine, I'd kick your arse on sight if I ever met you. You must have a small pen1s indeed, to stoop so low...

Zero Cool said:

You were being senseless; repeatedly. Last time I checked, that kind of a person was called an idiot. Nothing personal about that sally.

I didn't realise you were that sensitive. I'm sorry if I got your nappies all wet over this. :p Time for a change? :rofl:

Believe me, the only person you are humiliating here, is yourself. :p
Zero Cool said:

Of course I have, as has everybody else here, which is why you were called a fanboi to begin with. You disputed that too. Make up your mind already!

Zero Cool said:

Oh really? Is that what you said? Maybe you could explain this to me

ZeroCool: I have a motoQ for a Winmo device and its like a snail in front of the iphone 3G. The ui is pathetic and it often hangs.

Jeez, I wonder why we all assumed that you were comparing the 2 devices. A classic example of the senselessness everyone is talking about.

Zero Cool said:
BTW, the shoes that i wear cost more than your fathers monthly salary.

What are you in, kindergarten? I'm not even going to bother dignifying that with a response although I must say that it's just as easy for anyone to involve your lineage into this. So watch it and grow up while you're at it.

Zero Cool said:

A little 101 for you on what's personal and what's not. My previous statement; the one just above this... that was personal. Nothing I said prior to that was personal. If anything I was joshing around with you. This was never about you. You were talking nonsense which obviously was misleading to the OP and worse than that, you continued to do so over several posts even though some members here tried to have a reasonable discussion with you. Like I said earlier, you were being an idiot, so don’t be mad at me for calling you out on it. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at the person that taught you English because you obviously don't know how to interpret it or use it.

red dragon said:
Hey Mr.animator, you started this with your biased comments.You gave expert comments on something which you have never seen or used.
Then came your motoQ experience and opinion on xda!!No matter how expensive shoes you wear(10 times my salary maybe) you are REALLY AN ....

del_x said:
How can you expect someone from staying away from personal attacks after doing that yourself?

Vandal said:
^About the shoes you wear, keep em man, they stink too much to be brought up on this forum. If I were a mod, I'd ban you outright for bringing up someone's father. If you brought up mine, I'd kick your arse on sight if I ever met you. You must have a small pen1s indeed, to stoop so low...

Honestly, let him be guys. He's still got a lot of growing up to do. Puberty probably just kicked in and the hormones must still be raging!

This will be my last post on the subject. PROMISE :D

ummm... im sorry guys busy with work so havent checked my mail in a while.

just did n saw this happenin. plz dun fight man. everyone has a right to their opinion.

there are apple loyalists. there r windows loyalists n there are neutrals. dun strat tht fight again.

i apologize on behalf of people who said some wrong things to the people to which it was said to.

mods please close the thread.

PS: my dad is buyin HD2. i have an iphone 3gs. guess balance is maintained.

I-Phone 3GS prices are ridiculous in India .
But here are some reasons you should be looking at HD2 and not 3GS

> HD2 has a higher screen resolution
> HD2 has a bigger screen size
>HD2 Has a faster processor (1Ghz compared to 3GS which has a 600Mhz processor)
> HD2 - 448MB ram . 3GS -256 MB ram
> HD2 - removable micro SD slot (upgradeable memory) . 3GS - Fixed 16GB or 32 GB memory (Non-upgradeable) .
> camera = HD2 - 5MP . 3GS - 3MP
> HD2- Dual LED camera flash . 3GS - No Flash
> HD2 - FM radio tuner . 3GS - No radio
> HD2 has a removable battery . 3GS has a non-removable battery
Unless you are brand conscious or an Apple fanboy . HD2 is a clear winner .

Zero Cool said:

ROFL :rofl: (especially the last 2 lines).

Zero Cool said:
1.However powerful may a Winmo device may be, it will always have its issues as far as stability goes. Also Microsoft never gives us the software upgrades that Apple offers us... a la... we get iPhone OS 3 even on the first generation iphones and lets see if Microsoft allows people Windows phone/mobile 7 on their winmo devices released since 2007 or even HD2 !!! .

It doesnt work like that .

1. MS releases a new mobile Operating system to cover new hardware changes and configuration in newly released phone models . Do remember unlike Apple's OS , Windows mobile is used in a variety of phones with differing hardware configurations .

2. For older operating systems MS releases service pack like updates . This updates everything and also includes new features and softwares that can be implemented on that particular config .

So your conclusion "Also Microsoft never gives us the software upgrades that Apple offers us." is erroneous and is fuelled by ignorance of never having used a windows mobile .
Now after the iPhone suddenly all manufacturers are copying them.I agree that Touchscreen winmo devices have been out since stone ages but they all had been optimised for stylus usage. It is only after iphone that all manufactures are paying attention towards making their phones more and more finger friendly.

You ll be disappointed to know that the touch interface thing was not apple's . It was originally pioneered by a small company named 'Finger works' . which was bought by Apple .Most of the patents filed in the area of multi touch is owned by the 2 founders of FingerWorks . who currently work for Apple .

The Apple's lawsuit over HTC justifies this.

All the patents covered in the lawsuit cover very minor OS related functionality . None of them involve the touch interface .

First of all, I have used both HTC HD2 and iPhone 3G S. So, I pretty much know what I'm talking about here.

@mjumrani I suppose your Dad would be primarily using the phone for calling, checking mails, surfing and occasional movies and music. If I'm correct then I'd highly recommend the iPhone 3G S. Most of the 'features' HD2 has, your father won't be needing most of the time.

Without any doubt HTC HD2 is a great phone but WinMo6.5 can be frustrating at times and I think your father would want to spend more time working and less time fixing up things. Again, it's totally your call. Nobody is forcing you. We're all here to advise you.

iphone jailbreaking & unlocking is not that pain & thousands of free softwares are updated everyday through cydia, i hardly had to use itunes unless i have to sinc, else i always prefer iphone pc suite which is excellent.

it is not about which is best among these 2, 3gs is just launched, yet there is market for 3G & 2G & people are still using it, inshort both the phones have their own fan following, i personally prefer iphone & i am using 3G & will be getting my hands on 3GS very soon.

since 1G has launched, i have been hearing about all the iphone killers, but they have died instead, as of now its iphone.

malhotraraul said:
iphone jailbreaking & unlocking is not that pain & thousands of free softwares are updated everyday through cydia, i hardly had to use itunes unless i have to sinc, else i always prefer iphone pc suite which is excellent.

it is not about which is best among these 2, 3gs is just launched, yet there is market for 3G & 2G & people are still using it, inshort both the phones have their own fan following, i personally prefer iphone & i am using 3G & will be getting my hands on 3GS very soon.

since 1G has launched, i have been hearing about all the iphone killers, but they have died instead, as of now its iphone.
Iphone is really a good looking device with loads of bells and whistles,it is like a toy,a mediocre phone at the best,exchanged with my new hd2 for a couple of days fro my wife,now both of us is missing our own phones,I miss the huge screen and the blazing speed,and she is missing all those stupid useless apps.

red dragon said:
Iphone is really a good looking device with loads of bells and whistles,it is like a toy,a mediocre phone at the best,exchanged with my new hd2 for a couple of days fro my wife,now both of us is missing our own phones,I miss the huge screen and the blazing speed,and she is missing all those stupid useless apps.

Apple Iphone 3GS : Released 2009, June

HTC HD2 : Released 2009, November

the time difference says it all

iPhone 4G is not a fake concept and it is definitely going to be launched very soon with ..............

* OLED touchscreen
* Dual Core processor
* Removable battery
* 5 megapixel (HD video recording and LED Flash)
* Video calling
* Double storage capacity (64GB and 32GB)
* Touch sensitive outer casting like Apple Magic Mouse.

the later is always better than the former, so lets not get into that.

Back