HTC HD2 vs IPHONE 3GS

mjumrani

Skilled
hey guys.
i need to buy a phone for my dad. since im looking for finger touch phones instead of stylus, i need to decide between HTC HD2 and apple iphone 3gs but i cant decide. both are totally different platform. i personally own a 3gs n love it but wht shld i get him???
please give me ur inputs n suggestions...
TIA :)

malhotraraul said:
Apple Iphone 3GS : Released 2009, June

HTC HD2 : Released 2009, November

the time difference says it all

iPhone 4G is not a fake concept and it is definitely going to be launched very soon with ..............

* OLED touchscreen
* Dual Core processor
* Removable battery
* 5 megapixel (HD video recording and LED Flash)
* Video calling
* Double storage capacity (64GB and 32GB)
* Touch sensitive outer casting like Apple Magic Mouse.

the later is always better than the former, so lets not get into that.

Not going into that but hd3 will come too.

HTC releases new models far more frequently than Apple .
I have been using HTC phones right from when windows mobile 2003 was released . I dont really know what 'stability' issues people are talking about with respect to WM . It has matured a lot and is a great platform for smartphones .
And if the user is a newbie to the world of smart phones the learning curve should be similar in both cases .

But HTC does have to very important factors going for it

1. Cost . Apple is very overpriced in India .

2 Vendor lock In - Apple has gained a notoriety in this field surprisingly we dont have that issue in WM platform .

abtom said:
Most of the 'features' HD2 has, your father won't be needing most of the time.

I could say the same for 3GS

Without any doubt HTC HD2 is a great phone but WinMo6.5 can be frustrating at times and I think your father would want to spend more time working and less time fixing up things.

Can you state specifically what major flaws there are in WM 6.5 ?

GrimReaper said:
I could say the same for 3GS
Can you state specifically what major flaws there are in WM 6.5 ?

The mail on iPhone is much better than that on HTC HD2 and iPhone also provides a rich internet experience. With Opera Mini coming to iPhone (probably), we might see even some more web-based features. Most of us realize that iPhone pretty much beats any other phone in interface department. The touch is way better than any other phone. *No fanboyism. That's the truth*

Flaws in WinMO 6.5? For starters, the UI is sluggish as hell. The quality of apps is negligible compared to what we have on the iPhone. Web browsing isn't as fluid as on iPhone. The OS has it's fair share of problems. The list goes on and on.

Read: I'm not a Macboy or a Windows basher but iPhone clearly wins if you want to work without having to deal with pretty issues. In fact, I'm really excited about WinMo7 and waiting to grab myself of of those WinMo7 phones as soon as they come out but WinMo6.5 is undoubtedly the most pathetic mobile OS I've ever used. (Never used Samsung BadaOS)

abtom said:
The mail on iPhone is much better than that on HTC HD2 and iPhone also provides a rich internet experience. With Opera Mini coming to iPhone (probably), we might see even some more web-based features. Most of us realize that iPhone pretty much beats any other phone in interface department. The touch is way better than any other phone. *No fanboyism. That's the truth*

Flaws in WinMO 6.5? For starters, the UI is sluggish as hell. The quality of apps is negligible compared to what we have on the iPhone. Web browsing isn't as fluid as on iPhone. The OS has it's fair share of problems. The list goes on and on.

Read: I'm not a Macboy or a Windows basher but iPhone clearly wins if you want to work without having to deal with pretty issues. In fact, I'm really excited about WinMo7 and waiting to grab myself of of those WinMo7 phones as soon as they come out but WinMo6.5 is undoubtedly the most pathetic mobile OS I've ever used. (Never used Samsung BadaOS)

For starters, you know nothing about winmo,it is not sluggish ,it is cluttered a bit and not much finger friendly before sense u.i happened.What do you mean by mail on iphone is better?The safari browser does not even support flash,and now the mighty iphone and even mightier followers are craving for opera,which is present in winmo and symbian for ages.
Now regarding application,mate,you really do not know what you are talking about,ever heard of something called xda or modaco?I guess not,apple store is not the end of the world buddy,and get your facts straight before posting expert comments.Do not talk about winmo 7,first get accustomed with win 6.5.Have you touched hd2 or iphone for that matter yourself?The touch responsiveness is same for both.:mad::mad:

red dragon said:
For starters, you know nothing about winmo,it is not sluggish ,it is cluttered a bit and not much finger friendly before sense u.i happened.What do you mean by mail on iphone is better?The safari browser does not even support flash,and now the mighty iphone and even mightier followers are craving for opera,which is present in winmo and symbian for ages.

Now regarding application,mate,you really do not know what you are talking about,ever heard of something called xda or modaco?I guess not,apple store is not the end of the world buddy,and get your facts straight before posting expert comments.Do not talk about winmo 7,first get accustomed with win 6.5.Have you touched hd2 or iphone for that matter yourself?The touch responsiveness is same for both.:mad::mad:

First of all I own a HTC Hero, HTC HD2 and iPhone 3G S. So, yes, I've touched as well as used all of them. As for XDA and modaco, my HTC Hero is running the latest modaco ROM, so please cut the crap out. The touch on iPhone is way better than that on HTC HD2 or HTC Hero for that matter.

Let's get to the facts now. I was never talking about modaco or custom ROMs. I was talking about official apps like those on the App Store.

You are yourself saying that WinMo is cluttered and the thread opener's Dad would not want a cluttered OS on his phone. He would want to the simplistic and usable UI.

Another reason why I'm not recommending HTC HD2 is because it's still uncertain whether it'll get WinMo 7 or not. After having spend 35k on a phone you don't want that your phone isn't getting the latest OS now, do you?

For the last time I'm saying I'm not a freaking Apple fanboy. Even I hate blind fanboyism but I think iPhone would be best suited for the purpose here i.e mails and surfing. I really prefer iPhone over other phones but then again, maybe it's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

And please don't post comments like 'You don't know a thing about this or that'. It seems that people around here have respect for only those who have badass rigs in their signatures.

red dragon said:

Comparing cooked roms with applications are you buddy??

btw HD2 is a very capable phone but is meant for geeky users and not for someone like a dad.. iPhone on the other hand are meant for everybody

I would suggest get the iPhone for the dad anyday :)

abtom said:
First of all I own a HTC Hero, HTC HD2 and iPhone 3G S. So, yes, I've touched as well as used all of them. As for XDA and modaco, my HTC Hero is running the latest modaco ROM, so please cut the crap out. The touch on iPhone is way better than that on HTC HD2 or HTC Hero for that matter.

Let's get to the facts now. I was never talking about modaco or custom ROMs. I was talking about official apps like those on the App Store.
You are yourself saying that WinMo is cluttered and the thread opener's Dad would not want a cluttered OS on his phone. He would want to the simplistic and usable UI.

Another reason why I'm not recommending HTC HD2 is because it's still uncertain whether it'll get WinMo 7 or not. After having spend 35k on a phone you don't want that your phone isn't getting the latest OS now, do you?

For the last time I'm saying I'm not a freaking Apple fanboy. Even I hate blind fanboyism but I think iPhone would be best suited for the purpose here i.e mails and surfing. I really prefer iPhone over other phones but then again, maybe it's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

And please don't post comments like 'You don't know a thing about this or that'. It seems that people around here have respect for only those who have badass rigs in their signatures.

Sorry mate,Did not mean to offend you or anything.Actually i bought a hd2 last week and my wife bought a 3gs couple of days ago,and we are having continuous arguments on this same topic,and at the end of the day they are just two phones.Sorry again.
@krates ,no man I was not confused between rom and apps.

red dragon said:
Sorry mate,Did not mean to offend you or anything.Actually i bought a hd2 last week and my wife bought a 3gs couple of days ago,and we are having continuous arguments on this same topic,and at the end of the day they are just two phones.Sorry again.

No Problemo. :) HD2 is a great phone but the thing is that WinMo 6.5 can be tough to get a hang of. As you said, they're just phones.

@mjumrani If you haven't bought the phone yet, have your dad try them both out at the store and then buy whichever suits your Dad.

Random fanboi comment :p :

But for the minimalists, the iPhone is the clear winner in the usability department by a long mile

For the folks who need the appropriate amount of customization and can't live without tweaking with the internals of their phone, there is the Android

Doesn't that leaves WinMo stuck in some kind of limbo land? .. and unless WinMo7 turns out to be a different sorta beast altogether, I can't see any reason why anyone would buy a WinMo today

hmm. Given that abtom is the one who used three top phones on three different platforms, better go by his word. As I know him, he is NOT a fanboi and pretty neutral in his comments.

red dragon said:
Sorry mate,Did not mean to offend you or anything.Actually i bought a hd2 last week and my wife bought a 3gs couple of days ago,and we are having continuous arguments on this same topic,and at the end of the day they are just two phones.

:rofl::rofl:

manu1991 said:
Puts to rest debates about WM7 on HD2
[youtube]mJCFdojbjh8[/youtube]

Lol you call that WM7 working on HD2? it's sluggish and looks screwed up. unless the devs at XDA can fix it up to work like it's supposed to, which microsoft says isn't possible btw, the HD2 isn't worth buying right now.

@seed, that is a first implementation of an OS that is still in it's beta stage on a phone that is not part of compatibile h/w. It will certainly get better.

BTW, given the restrictions that MS is putting on WP7 and acting like a shithead, I would rather be with WM 6.5 than 7.

desiibond said:
@seed, that is a first implementation of an OS that is still in it's beta stage on a phone that is not part of compatibile h/w. It will certainly get better.
Still, the first implementation was shown to be running smoothly on phones MADE for the new OS, and furthermore the OS is going to optimized to run on these phones, not the HD2, so there is no proof that HD2 is going to run the official version fine once its out. I suppose the XDA devs will be able to cook something up that'll work well, but I'd still rather wait for an official windows 7 phone from HTC with similar specs. Given the amount of phones they release, I'm sure one is just around the corner.

Back