Budget Above 25K Huge Dilemma: HTC One v/s Samsung Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen one of these threads already. Looking at the biggest flagship phones for this year (till now, and perhaps for the rest of the year from both HTC and Samsung), I'm looking to buy one of them. I simply don't know which one to pick.

- I love the HTC One design, though Galaxy S4's compact shell is great as well.
- I like Sense quite a lot, TouchWiz is okay. But it's the added Software tweaks by Samsung that make the experience quite amazing, if I am to believe the adds.
- The Galaxy S4 simply has a much better camera than the HTC One.
- The Super AMOLED display has it's advantages (Daydream, pure black) but the SLCD display is gorgeous as well.

As you can see, I'm pretty messed up here :D. Don't know what to do. Don't want to end up buying an UMI X2 (or a rumored Micromax Canvas A120) or something. Why would I do that?
- Priced around 15k
- 1080p display
- Quad core
- 2 GB RAM
- 13 MP cam
- Android 4.2.1 JB

I have the same problem as @dafreaking. It is difficult to take anything else seriously after reading that statement. Why would you want "ad support" for old sh1tty phones? So that Apple can sell to unsuspecting customers and relieve itself of old stock of ancient phones ,or so that the people who choose to buy the outdated phones will feel better about themselves and be in some illusion that their phone is still current?
Also I'm going grossly OT but as much as Apple updates it's phones, the updates lag like hell in any phone other than the previous flagship. Also Apple hardware choices before 4s mean, all those phones are amazingly slow with their ancient hardware which were outdated at launch. And even the simplest of games stutter on iPhone 4 and below. This is my last post regarding this and I hope everyone would end this discussion here as this is not the place for this and I also don't think we need another thread of this kind, especially since we'll get no where.

Honestly it's difficult to take anything seriously after reading this post.

There are so many ambiguities in your post that i cant stop laughing right now, I could write a paragraph about it and it would not be enough, but since this is not the thread for it we shall leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@artikle

In terms of iOS devices i guess the categorization that hardware is ancient is irrelevant. iPhone do not have android as their OS and their OS is proprietary to make it work with their own hardware. I hope you agree with me on that.
If you compare 2 phones then their driving OS has to be also same then it makes for a fair comparison.
Besides this about the simplest games that stutter, i would appreciate if you can name a few and i can test them in an iPhone 4 that i have. But as of now i have games like Temple Run, Subway surf etc on a 4 and they absolutely work fine with no lags and super smooth frame rates.

@artikle

In terms of iOS devices i guess the categorization that hardware is ancient is irrelevant. iPhone do not have android as their OS and their OS is proprietary to make it work with their own hardware. I hope you agree with me on that.
If you compare 2 phones then their driving OS has to be also same then it makes for a fair comparison.
Besides this about the simplest games that stutter, i would appreciate if you can name a few and i can test them in an iPhone 4 that i have. But as of now i have games like Temple Run, Subway surf etc on a 4 and they absolutely work fine with no lags and super smooth frame rates.
Yes, the software optimization part is right, but Apple is notorious for giving out laggy(less optimized) updates to phones two generations old or older. The current flagship and the previous flagship have the best optimization. And no, I haven't compared android phones to iOS phones. You might be referring to the hw part, but there in my opinion the hw age is not so irrelevant after all. I have a lot of friends with an iPhone 4 and 3GS(for everyone of them) for whom subway surfers, temple run 2 etc stutter even on a clean phone, and a small google search would take you innumerous others who face the same thing. They might be smooth for you- either you are lucky or you haven't played enough to reach scores around 70 lacs in subway and 1cr in temple run 2. The number of people with laggy phones and laggy games doesn't go well with the optimization "branding".
And I think we should stop since this would do nothing but get these posts deleted. We can agree to disagree. :)
Disclaimer: I own an iPad 4, S3, Note, nexus S, defy. I have nothing against any company and am just a well informed, intelligent consumer who doesn't have any brand preference.
Sent from my iPad 4 so sorry for any typos and formatting.

Yes, the software optimization part is right, but Apple is notorious for giving out laggy(less optimized) updates to phones two generations old or older. The current flagship and the previous flagship have the best optimization. And no, I haven't compared android phones to iOS phones. You might be referring to the hw part, but there in my opinion the hw age is not so irrelevant after all. I have a lot of friends with an iPhone 4 and 3GS(for everyone of them) for whom subway surfers, temple run 2 etc stutter even on a clean phone, and a small google search would take you innumerous others who face the same thing. They might be smooth for you- either you are lucky or you haven't played enough to reach scores around 70 lacs in subway and 1cr in temple run 2. The number of people with laggy phones and laggy games doesn't go well with the optimization "branding".
And I think we should stop since this would do nothing but get these posts deleted. We can agree to disagree. :)
Disclaimer: I own an iPad 4, S3, Note, nexus S, defy. I have nothing against any company and am just a well informed, intelligent consumer who doesn't have any brand preference.
Sent from my iPad 4 so sorry for any typos and formatting.

Sorry for the language but don't throw around bullshit cause you can. I have iPhone 4 and the biggest reason I ain't upgrading to Samsung is because you can't play games on the current gen Galaxy devices which you can on the 3 year old iPhone 4. Let it be S4, Note 2 or for that matter S4. Lets talk about Temple run only... The sensors on the iPhone are so precise that when you tilt the phone by 5 deg the character moves just by that much and you further tilt the device the character shift further sideways... unlike Samsung where you move the phone by 5 degree the character barely moves and you move by another 5 the character just shifts to the edge of the screen.

The so called strutting is a problem but it I have found out it happens mainly cause of two reasons. No of Apps, Pics and Music in your phone and if your jail-broken then no of tweaks running on the phone. And yes with the 4s and 5 these problems go away but trust me when I say this... The 3 year old iPhone 4 still runs temple run better then the Samsung Galaxy S4 with so called 8 cores. Heck forget the tilt even the animation on the iPhone is better compared to the Galaxy S2 where I last tried this game for more then an hour. Be it for the iOS optimizations or be it for the developer love. Games just runs better on iOS compared to Android.

Trust me when I say this. Every morning I watch a Samsung S4 or HTC One or a Nexus 4 review. Every day I look at S4 and Nexus case covers. Everyday. I just want to upgrade to a bigger screen size. I just want a fresh OS feel on my phone. But I resist and I resist only cause the games runs like shit on Android. Or lets just say they run a lot better on the iPhone. Heck I am thinking about buying iPad 4 and a Nexus 4 for this reason only. I truly want a phone which has a screen like HTC One, has a proccy like S4 and should work like a iPhone 5 as in everything works and should have expendable storage.

Sorry for the language but don't throw around bullshit cause you can. I have iPhone 4 and the biggest reason I ain't upgrading to Samsung is because you can't play games on the current gen Galaxy devices which you can on the 3 year old iPhone 4. Let it be S4, Note 2 or for that matter S4. Lets talk about Temple run only... The sensors on the iPhone are so precise that when you tilt the phone by 5 deg the character moves just by that much and you further tilt the device the character shift further sideways... unlike Samsung where you move the phone by 5 degree the character barely moves and you move by another 5 the character just shifts to the edge of the screen.

The so called strutting is a problem but it I have found out it happens mainly cause of two reasons. No of Apps, Pics and Music in your phone and if your jail-broken then no of tweaks running on the phone. And yes with the 4s and 5 these problems go away but trust me when I say this... The 3 year old iPhone 4 still runs temple run better then the Samsung Galaxy S4 with so called 8 cores. Heck forget the tilt even the animation on the iPhone is better compared to the Galaxy S2 where I last tried this game for more then an hour. Be it for the iOS optimizations or be it for the developer love. Games just runs better on iOS compared to Android.

Trust me when I say this. Every morning I watch a Samsung S4 or HTC One or a Nexus 4 review. Every day I look at S4 and Nexus case covers. Everyday. I just want to upgrade to a bigger screen size. I just want a fresh OS feel on my phone. But I resist and I resist only cause the games runs like shit on Android. Or lets just say they run a lot better on the iPhone. Heck I am thinking about buying iPad 4 and a Nexus 4 for this reason only. I truly want a phone which has a screen like HTC One, has a proccy like S4 and should work like a iPhone 5 as in everything works and should have expendable storage.
Don't know and care about your experince. Games are buttery smooth on Galaxy S4. Even HUGE GAMES that requires hell lot of processing and GPU power run smooth on it. About tilting. We have couple of iPad 4 in our office. I compared tilt with iPad 4 and Galaxy S4. Well, I found iPad 4 require to tilt more than Galaxy S4. I am not saying that iPad 4 sucks. It is THE BEST TABLET EVER I HAVE SEEN. But I say sensors on Galaxy S4 are super sensitive and work much better. Gone those days when Apple products were the only superior products (iPhone 1st gen, 2G days).

The so called strutting is a problem but it I have found out it happens mainly cause of two reasons. No of Apps, Pics and Music in your phone/////

What an explanation man hats off to apple fan boys strutting due to No of music, pics wow
Once more i am saying its disgusting to bring in apple phones for comparison with these giants :p....Please stay away from this thread

OT: One of the forums (TDF) has a section called "Fight Club". We should open a similar section here too. No need to count posts in that section (like in GT now). It will be fun to see the fights and discussions there.
Yeah i am serious, can the mods consider this.

And yes IF the section opens, the first thread will only be "Android vs iOS" :p

@Gannu @Renegade

I don't get why people have to go OT and bring in Apple products in to the discussion.

I can clearly see lag in games when using iPhone 4. Hell even the UI felt a little sluggish when compared to iPhone 4s or iPhone 5.

Plus the OS are completely different. Android will always feel slow/sluggish due to it being a true multitasking OS. The higher end Android devices of today have at least 2GB RAM and that is why they have become a lot quicker and capable.

Everyone knows that memory will always be the bottleneck whether it is related to speed or capacity. No apps out there really utilize quad cores and everyone knows that processors aren't being used all the time. The way iOS handles RAM and Android handles it are stark contrasts of each other due to the way they both handle multitasking.

Just like you iPhone users are asking us to play the games smoothly on 3 year old devices, so can I ask you to transfer a file over Wi-Fi simultaneously while playing a game.
But that question is totally illogical because these are 2 different OS. People must realize that these aren't just phones anymore and one should buy whichever ticks more boxes in your checklist.

@OP - I know that 16GB might not be enough for you, but if you can then try getting your hands on a Droid DNA(28k) or a HTC Butterfly(34k). IMO both, the S4 or HTC One aren't worth the premium over the phones I have mentioned.

I won't go to the extent of saying your spreading something which you say I'm spreading, but I'm speaking from my experience and I'm sure your speaking from yours. All I can say is I have friends with iPhone 4 and 3GS who had their phones reset but couldn't get rid of the stutters. And my note is far smoother let alone s3 or s4. Hell my iPad 4 stutters sometimes during scrolling to spotlight page and during some game animations. Your experience greatly differs so I don't think we'll get anywhere discussing this. Keeping that aside, it is extremely erroneous to say iPhone's sensors are better as samsung as Samsung not only uses the same manufactirer, but also consistently had better sensors in every iteration of their flagship.
iPhone 4S: http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM89/SC444/PF218132
Note/S3: http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM89/SC444/PF250725
How to read the specs: http://www.analog.com/en/content/td_accelerometer_specifications_definitions/fca.html
Which chip does your phone have: http://www.usinlife.com/index.php/c...celerometers-in-phones-which-phones-have-what

And Im amused by the fact that some random comment about "ad support" lead to so much derailing. :p

Ok enough of the OT. @comp@ddict I have already let you know my opinion before, but I have been thinking the nexus 4 would have been perfect if not for the measly 16gb on board. It has comparable performance at nearly half the price. Maybe you should wait till the 32gb version comes out. And it is not as fragile as you are afraid it is. An acquaintance is using his nexus 4 only with full body cover(like gadgetshieldz) and he's doing fine. You would just have saved a lot a of money for a better all round experience and with better after sales support than htc though you won't get warranty.

Sent from my iPad 4

I for one did not bring iPhone or iOS here. I merely expressed my experience with the device. And till date its the only gadget which I have bought which I think was VFM. Bought it for about 25K 3 Years back and its still running strong. Lets just keep it to that and let this thread be about the two Android flagships cause I seriously want more real estate which these two offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back