Car & Bike Hyundai i20 Asta owners - Anything to look out for ?

Wraith said:
I have an i20 1.2 Asta and its one of my best buys. My dad was hell bent on buying a swift but i still went for the i20. It has loads of space on the inside, lots of features which you usually associate with higher class cars. The ride is also quite comfortable. Though it has the 1.2 kappa engine which delivers 80PS, i feel it is quite adequate, it is not meant to be a performance car. I have done quite a few Nasik - Mumbai - Nasik trips with 4-5 ppl in the car and it performs quite well on the highway too. The electronically assistant steering does feel vague at high speeds but it nothing serious you get used to it.

Yeah I doubt anybody would notice a lack of power if you haven't driven an i10 for at least a month or so.

Wraith said:
I have an i20 1.2 Asta and its one of my best buys. My dad was hell bent on buying a swift but i still went for the i20. It has loads of space on the inside, lots of features which you usually associate with higher class cars. The ride is also quite comfortable. Though it has the 1.2 kappa engine which delivers 80PS, i feel it is quite adequate, it is not meant to be a performance car. I have done quite a few Nasik - Mumbai - Nasik trips with 4-5 ppl in the car and it performs quite well on the highway too. The electronically assistant steering does feel vague at high speeds but it nothing serious you get used to it.

For the last few years I have been driving my dad's corolla and before that the old honda city. Coming from such cars the i20 does feel underpowered or sluggish but i realised that this a smaller car with a smaller engine meant mainly for city running and the occasional highway trip. I have seen people say it does not handle well and blah blah but this car was never meant for aggresive driving on the track, its purpose is to ferry people in comfort in the city. That being said it does 120-130kmph easily on the highway even with 5 adults in it, beyond that progress is slow and the engine feels strained.

So if you want a car which is big on space, features and can carry you in comfort and you not inclined to drive like an F1 driver then the i20 is a pretty good car for you.

Someone pointed out the weak i20 a/c thread on team-bhp... here is what i have posted there..

Ahh super :) This helps me a lot. Now on to the banks tomorrow to haggle on interest rates.

one suggestion, you can get more cash discounts if you speak to the manager of the showroom. I managed to get a 20 k discount + other stuff like mat etc on an i10.

^They've been pushing the i10 like anything with really great discounts and offers so 20k discount isn't surprising.Its not the same for the i20 though.

@PhOeNiX

You should ask for underbody rust preventive coating worth around 3-5k depending upon the quality of work

puns said:
one suggestion, you can get more cash discounts if you speak to the manager of the showroom. I managed to get a 20 k discount + other stuff like mat etc on an i10.

Arun1 said:
^They've been pushing the i10 like anything with really great discounts and offers so 20k discount isn't surprising.Its not the same for the i20 though.

@PhOeNiX

You should ask for underbody rust preventive coating worth around 3-5k depending upon the quality of work

yep, for the i10 they are straightaway ready to offer 10k cash, plus 4-5k corporate discount (even to individuals) plus a couple of accessories so 20k is believable. Will still try though. the guy is coming again today for another TD on his own with his old car evaluator, so they seem pretty pushy :p Might be able to squeeze a bit more out of them :D

Actually i was hell bent on buying the i20... didnt care abt the price.. the looks and interiors are just too nice.. i like nice stuff.. :)..

But the discounts and freebies and the lower price.. like 4.xx made my mother do the "talk" to me and made me get the i10... :mad:....

but Polo is a great car.. any day over a hyundai for me.period.

Just TD'd the i20 again. A/C does seem a bit underpowered, but not as much as what i have been reading. Took it on the closest Highwayish road (Pal Beach road for those who know) and the car seemed powerful enough. Though i could feel the i10 engine being dragged by a heavier chassis, all seems well for my driving requirements.

Here is the final offer they have given

On-Road - Rs 647775/- including all (Navi Mumbai cess, RTO, Insurance etc etc)

Cash Discount - Rs 5000/-

Accessories - Rs 7000/-

For my old Wagon-R - Rs 1,28,000/- (could not get anything better out of them for this, but well, the car's in a pretty lousy condition after 7 years of rough usage :p)

Interest Rate he has promised - 9.8% over 5 Years. Seems to be good seeing most ROI's are above 10-11 nowadays. But we are following up on our own Loan's for better deals, will post soon when we decide.

As of now, it seems i20 it is. Delivery period is around 2 weeks, but i guess it should be faster. Now all that is left (apart from deciding on the Finance deal) is choosing the colour and what accessories to take :p Mom's fixated on White, i like black.

As for the accessories - Sunfilm is on my priority list. What else can i take ? The guy suggested Leather seats, but someone here i think recommended an underbody anti-rust coating. Which one should be given priority ?

PhOeNiX said:
As for the accessories - Sunfilm is on my priority list. What else can i take ? The guy suggested Leather seats, but someone here i think recommended an underbody anti-rust coating. Which one should be given priority ?

Get the anti-rust coating. The humid Mumbai climate warrants it. :p

Why not the blue color btw? The i20 looked better in blue IMO. JM2C.

Desecrator said:
Get the anti-rust coating. The humid Mumbai climate warrants it. :p

Why not the blue color btw? The i20 looked better in blue IMO. JM2C.

Will do.

As for blue, it just looks too bright. Looks good on paper, but never seen it on road. Maybe will have a look when we are there to book.

I agree to ur mum... white is the best.

dont go for dark colors as it absorb heat too much and black!!!! its TOO HOT.

Sudhir, next time at Mumbai, you shall honour me and the rest of the Navi Mumbai chaps (read Faheem and VB) with a treat. Not at that CCD btw. :p

Congrats in advance. :D

PhOeNiX said:
Will do.

As for blue, it just looks too bright. Looks good on paper, but never seen it on road. Maybe will have a look when we are there to book.

Saw a couple of blue i20s in Nerul yesterday, the same color that's shown in the ad. I must say it looks very cool. Do have a look. :)

Actually yesterday i was in Bandra and i saw nearly all colours in person roaming around. The blue looks nice, but a bit too flashy. Amongst all colours, i will have to say that my mom's choice was right, and white does look like its the best. So mostly white it is. Finalizing the Loan Scheme and filing papers today :)

Back