Car & Bike Hyundai i20 Asta owners - Anything to look out for ?

PhOeNiX

Skilled
Well i am planning on buying a car in a couple of weeks, and i have nearly finalized the i20. (started with a budget for Swift, but it has a waiting period of 3-4 months, plus the interiors and features of the i20 seem far superior). We are planning on going for the i20 Asta, with a on-Road of 6,42,000. The guy is giving a Rs 5000 cash discount over this and some accessories like sunfilm, mats etc free. Tried forcing for more, but he wouldn't budge. Delivery time is 1-2 weeks.

Now is there anything to look out for ? What is the initial review of the guys here who own the i20 , especially the Asta variant ? The car is basically going to be used for family rides etc, and daily usage won't exceed 50-60 KMs. My folks are really fixated on the Saftey features, which is why we chose the Asta over the Magna Sportz.

I even saw the VW Polo highline, tough we felt the exterior was better than the i20, the interior lacked the fullness of the i20. Plus a couple of features like USB, and Power ORVM's also lack. Plus it too has a minimum waiting period of 4 months.

So shoot away :)

EDIT : Decided on the i20 ASTA White colour. Got it for a On-Road Rs 6.47 Lakh. Got a Rs 5000 cash discount and Rs 7000 worth of free accessories.

Pricing table for the i20

Petrol Variant | ERA 1.2 | MAGNA 1.2 | SPORTZ 1.2 OPT | SPORTZ 1.2 w/ ALLOY | ASTA 1.2 | ASTA OPTION 1.2 S/R | ASTA A/T 1.4 On-Road | Rs 513263 | Rs 557398 | Rs 585252 | Rs 601709 | Rs 647755 | Rs 697320 | Rs 837589 Diesel Variant | ERA 1.4 CRDi | MAGNA 1.4 CRDi | SPORTZ OPT 1.4 CRDi | SPORTZ 1.4 CRDi w/ ALLOY | ASTA CRDi On-Road | Rs 643975 | Rs 688873 | Rs 716213 | Rs 732067 | Rs 778859
Prices are EX-VASHI (SHARAYU HYUNDAI) as per 20th May 2010.

You cannot go wrong with an i20.. Best interiors in its class.. enough power & safety..

Only downer is that steering has a spongy feel.. it feels soft... but that's a personal choice...

I am also planning for same car same variant in coming months(waiting for micra). I inquired about same from Sharayu Motors and they are hell bent on not giving any discounts(though didn't asked about freebies :p).

Whats your discount code :p.

I also checked about the insurance part and they are providing from ICICI , not a good insurance company as claimed by t-bhp. Best bet would be to take insurance part on your own and you would save 4-5k more(check bajaj allianz).

PhOeNiX said:
Well i am planning on buying a car in a couple of weeks, and i have nearly finalized the i20. (started with a budget for Swift, but it has a waiting period of 3-4 months, plus the interiors and features of the i20 seem far superior). We are planning on going for the i20 Asta, with a on-Road of 6,42,000. The guy is giving a Rs 5000 cash discount over this and some accessories like sunfilm, mats etc free. Tried forcing for more, but he wouldn't budge. Delivery time is 1-2 weeks.

Now is there anything to look out for ? What is the initial review of the guys here who own the i20 , especially the Asta variant ? The car is basically going to be used for family rides etc, and daily usage won't exceed 50-60 KMs. My folks are really fixated on the Saftey features, which is why we chose the Asta over the Magna Sportz.

I even saw the VW Polo highline, tough we felt the exterior was better than the i20, the interior lacked the fullness of the i20. Plus a couple of features like USB, and Power ORVM's also lack. Plus it too has a minimum waiting period of 4 months.

So shoot away :)

Getting a discount right now won't be easy as it isn't festive period.You on road cost seems a bit low.Are you registering outside Mumbai?
You should be able to squeeze in a keyless entry system with alarm worth 4-5k.

Darky said:
I am also planning for same car same variant in coming months(waiting for micra). I inquired about same from Sharayu Motors and they are hell bent on not giving any discounts(though didn't asked about freebies :p).

Whats your discount code :p.

I also checked about the insurance part and they are providing from ICICI , not a good insurance company as claimed by t-bhp. Best bet would be to take insurance part on your own and you would save 4-5k more(check bajaj allianz).

We too got the quote from Sharyu. Freebies he has promised the mats plus 5000 Cash discount, Sunfilm i am sure i will be able to extract :p

Thanks for the tip on the insurance thing. I'll check that out. I think we will also get the No Claim Bonus adjusted for our old Wagon R too, so even cheaper.

I am not waiting for the Micra because my folks are not too keen on getting anything beyond Maruti/Hyundai/Honda. Another reason for not leaning towards Polo.

Arun1 said:
Getting a discount right now won't be easy as it isn't festive period.You on road cost seems a bit low.Are you registering outside Mumbai?

You should be able to squeeze in a keyless entry system with alarm worth 4-5k.

Yep, Registering in Navi Mumbai. The Asta already has a key-less system, so nothing left to add :p I'll try to get a better price for my WagonR instead.

IMIO the i20 is same 1.2 engine kapaa from i10

the i20 as 87 bhp and i10 85 bhp 1.2 means 1200 cc

the i10 give max speed 165 kph and 120 155 kph so less 10 no different

cause the i20 has extra weight so they might reduce the speed and interior is good but the plastic are awful and it is expensive one

for budget 6.5L i recommend the Hyundai verna 1.6 petrol will cost 7 lakh and u can do mofied something if u love u own interior

or the any budget 5-6 lakh car such swift at u choice

Arun.P said:
IMIO the i20 is same 1.2 engine kapaa from i10

the i20 as 87 bhp and i10 85 bhp 1.2 means 1200 cc

the i10 give max speed 165 kph and 120 155 kph so less 10 no different

cause the i20 has extra weight so they might reduce the speed and interior is good but the plastic are awful and it is expensive one

for budget 6.5L i recommend the Hyundai verna 1.6 petrol will cost 7 lakh and u can do mofied something if u love u own interior

or the any budget 5-6 lakh car such swift at u choice

I am not sure about the engine being the same and all, but i felt the i20 to be far superior than the swift in terms of space and accessories. Plus the Swift has lost its exclusivity whch the i20 still has :p And as far as i could see, the Asta model's interiors did not feel plasticky at all. Though the Magna did.

I am not a big fan of the verna and i have to stick to Hatchbacks for now. If i were to go for a Sedan, which i will soon, I would go for the City or the Civic (I know higher budget range, but well, they seem to be worth the tags)

I tried the beat. It's a bit too small in the rear area. Though i loved the modern front interiors, my parents did not overall like the shape of the car. Will have to look at the Figo though.

PhOeNiX said:
I am not sure about the engine being the same and all, but i felt the i20 to be far superior than the swift in terms of space and accessories. Plus the Swift has lost its exclusivity whch the i20 still has :p And as far as i could see, the Asta model's interiors did not feel plasticky at all. Though the Magna did.
I am not a big fan of the verna and i have to stick to Hatchbacks for now. If i were to go for a Sedan, which i will soon, I would go for the City or the Civic (I know higher budget range, but well, they seem to be worth the tags)
That's the only concern with the i20;power to weight ratio.The i10 and i20 have the same 1.2 Kappa engine and being lesser in weight,the i10 would feel more powerful than the i20.
If you haven't already been smitten by the i20 looks,I'd suggest considering the Linea which would cost somewhere around 7Lacs for the top end emotion.

Arun1 said:
That's the only concern with the i20;power to weight ratio.The i10 and i20 have the same 1.2 Kappa engine and being lesser in weight,the i10 would feel more powerful than the i20.

If you haven't already been smitten by the i20 looks,I'd suggest considering the Linea which would cost somewhere around 7Lacs for the top end emotion.

Will definitely look at the Linea too.

EDIT : just saw the website, the Linea EX-Showroom for the basic model itself is 6.5lacs, so it would end up being upwards of 7.5 on-road, which is totally out of my budget. Though the features are superb.

Thanks for pointing that out. Are there any other suggestions in a similar price range (<6.5L) ? I saw the Figo, though it lacks a lot of important features even in its highest end model, tilt adjustable steering, rear power windows etc. Though it is a lot cheaper, but i am ready to pay for the extra features. Plus i chose the i20 over the i10 mainly because it is a lot more roomy from the insides, and looks more classy.

Any other options i can look at ? Would prefer hatchbacks with all features than sedans with less features.

PhOeNiX said:
Will definitely look at the Linea too.

EDIT : just saw the website, the Linea EX-Showroom for the basic model itself is 6.5lacs, so it would end up being upwards of 7.5 on-road, which is totally out of my budget. Though the features are superb.

Opps! I messed up the ex-showroom and onroad prices.
The linea emotion would still be a great buy at 8lacs if you can stretch your budget because the next best thing IMO is the Honda City at 9.5lacs.However given your budget,the i20 is ideal or you can get the punto and pimp it up real good if you haven't reserved a separate budget for that that is.

I have an i20 1.2 Asta and its one of my best buys. My dad was hell bent on buying a swift but i still went for the i20. It has loads of space on the inside, lots of features which you usually associate with higher class cars. The ride is also quite comfortable. Though it has the 1.2 kappa engine which delivers 80PS, i feel it is quite adequate, it is not meant to be a performance car. I have done quite a few Nasik - Mumbai - Nasik trips with 4-5 ppl in the car and it performs quite well on the highway too. The electronically assistant steering does feel vague at high speeds but it nothing serious you get used to it.

For the last few years I have been driving my dad's corolla and before that the old honda city. Coming from such cars the i20 does feel underpowered or sluggish but i realised that this a smaller car with a smaller engine meant mainly for city running and the occasional highway trip. I have seen people say it does not handle well and blah blah but this car was never meant for aggresive driving on the track, its purpose is to ferry people in comfort in the city. That being said it does 120-130kmph easily on the highway even with 5 adults in it, beyond that progress is slow and the engine feels strained.
So if you want a car which is big on space, features and can carry you in comfort and you not inclined to drive like an F1 driver then the i20 is a pretty good car for you.

Someone pointed out the weak i20 a/c thread on team-bhp... here is what i have posted there..

I own a 1.2 Asta I20. Yesterday I out of curiosity I went around to test drive the Polo 1.2 petrol, Honda Jazz and the Ford Figo 1.4. It was around 2-3pm and its was crazy hot here is in Nasik. None of the cars were able to cool the cabin quickly. I must have spent about 15-20mins inside each car, which included idle time and driving for 2-3 kms. There were 4 ppl in each car during the test drive.

Initially even I felt that the I20's cooling isnt effective during the summer afternoons but this was in comparison with the Corolla I have. After yesterdays little trip i feel AC performance of the I20, Jazz, Polo and Figo seems to be the same i.e. it isnt too great (my reference being the Corolla) It is just too hot outside and sometimes the cabin gets so hot, it feels like a furnace! ( The I20 has a brown cabin which i guess retains quite a lot of heat). I mean if the air temp is 40C, the road temp and temp inside the car is going to be higher. Its best to roll down down the windows let some air circulate when you start the AC.

Even the new Passat which was standing in the sun all day took time cool cabin.
Edit : When i been to Hyundai to check the effectiveness of the AC in my I20, I was told the if the grill temp stays below 6.5C the AC is working fine. When they checked my car it showed 6C.

I am back from a trip to Mumbai. I was travelling with my cousin in my I20. The AC was on for the entire trip for about 415kms (Nasik - Mumbai- Nasik). I must say I didnt face any problems with the AC. Infact my cousin had to raise the temp from 17C to 20C as it was getting quite chilly inside.

Back