ICO and Shadow of the Collosus - Discussion Thread

elendil

Disciple
I completed Shadow of the Collossus today and wrote something about it for my blog. Just thought I'd post a bit of what I did. (modified it a bit to fit here :) ). Will post a review for the two games when I find the time to write them.

As for SotC and ICO, well, here's how my story goes. I've been a fan of fantasy fiction since I was a little kid, be it reading Enid Blyton's Bedtime stories to the Chronicles of Narnia, and growing up gradually to Ursula Le Guin, Tolkien and the like.. Be it books, movies or video games, I love the world of magic, darkness, . A world with mythical beings would always facinate me.
When I started with my PS2, I had never heard of ICO. It lay in the hushed whispers of its cult followers. A game with high ratings, but which was dormant due to its non-commercial value, its stereotype-breakaway model.. And then came SotC, a new award winning game and with it came a re-release of ICO. A new lease on life for a masterpiece. Also, since I love the action-adventure genre, I had to get my hands on the two. I had to experience this new fantasy.
Now, I live in India, the land of modded PS2's and pirated games.. I luckily (or unluckily) got my ps2 (un-modded) as a gift from my sister in Germany.. As a realisation from my past gaming experiences, one tends to take for granted something cheap or free (still true for some of my PC gaming), so I decided to "BUY" my games, which would make me appreciate them more. Unfortunately in India, most titles available in stores are of more popular genres, old crappy games and almost double the prices as sold abroad. So I get my games sourced from friends/relatives in London, Australia or Germany. (I lose out a bit on the conversion rates, but I still save a lot of money). ICO being the cheaper of the two, I bought it first. And was I glad I did. I've never enjoyed a game more. It was different, yet familiar. It had emotion !! It immersed me in an unknown world, yet one I was not scared to be in. One which made me think, made me care. I was responsible for someone else, helpless, yet someone I had to count on, to escape to a better destiny. Then came my exploits as Wander.
SotC is no less as a game. Though I will admit, I was less addicted to it as ICO. But, it again reigns with its simplicity. You have to get through with a few simple steps, find the big guy, find a way to overcome him and do it. BUT, beyond that veil lies something which astonishes you. The satisfaction bringing down these big guys, that too 16 of them, is just immense. The universe you are thrust into seems vast, getting to point B a puzzle in itself. I couldn't help but make up theories as I went along, and having played ICO the end just doesnt seem like one anymore. It just gives me more questions to find answers to. It leaves you fulfilled but yet keeps you wanting to know more. There lies the beauty of these games. Ueda (the game director) is a genius and with these games a legend in my mind. I look forward to the final solution to the puzzle.

If you guys have not played these two games, please find them and do it asap. Try not to use walkthroughs. There's really no fun in that. More Later.

Cheers.

ICO + Sotc HD/3D Announced. Last Guardian Trailer Released.

For those who havent played:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/4995208642/lightbox/

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ICO-1.png

Retail postings on Wal-Mart online have it detailed as a twin-pack that would include both games, both updated to HD for the current-generation, and selling for $40.

However the first official confirmation comes via Famitsu in Japan, where they say that it is not a collection but the games are in fact being released separately. That however may be only in Japan . . . perhaps the games are popular enough there to be released separately, but that wouldn’t fly as well out West.

Either way, we are getting SOMETHING, and that’s definitely a good thing. As both games are beloved by legions of gamers everywhere, and deserve to be experienced in HD and have Trophy support.

Source

Re: ICO + Sotc HD/3D Announced. Last Guardian Trailer Released.

awesome games

why do you want PS2 copy when PS3 HD & 3D version are coming soon

and wrong section as this should be in the console forum

I so wanted to revisit the 2 classic games of PS2 on my PS3....glad they are making an HD version with complete Trophy & 3D support :clap:

Awesome! I've heard of Ico being one of the best games one can play for the PS2 akin to SOTC and GOW1/2. :D

Glad to hear that a lot of titles are being remastered for the PS3.

SOTC happens to be the only game that actually made me eyes water up :ashamed:

neoronin said:
SOTC happens to be the only game that actually made me eyes water up :ashamed:
Try Heavy Rain now that you have the PS3 and witness all the endings - some of them would make you just do that!

Desecrator said:
Try Heavy Rain now that you have the PS3 and witness all the endings - some of them would make you just do that!
Been meaning to buy that. But currently I have 8 games that need completing with too little time to do that. I'm pretty sure by the time I get around to Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream would have a new one out. On a side note, this article should give a good idea about what SOTC is like.

Masterpiece: Shadow of the Colossus

Sorry Guys.. these were the screenies i wanted to post originally:

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last Guardian Surely seems to be breathtaking.

Might have to get a ps3 for this game alone if it comes out all guns blazing.

Hoping the ICO and Sotc bundle to cost around abt same as GoW Collection.

brickhouse said:
why do you want PS2 copy when PS3 HD & 3D version are coming soon
Already have SOTC and want to play ICO first. The ps3 games are slated for 2011 release only.

They r releasing in March 2011...as hinted by many sites :)

I just hope they improve the frame rates for SoTC. That was the only real problem with the game on the Playstation 2. It would be a treat to watch all those colossi in high definition.

Spacescreamer said:
Already have SOTC and want to play ICO first. The ps3 games are slated for 2011 release only.
you have already waited so long,why not wait another few months

Team Ico Collection is releasing in April 2010 before fall 2010 Last guardian,so play them straight in HD and then go play TLG later that year

Spacescreamer said:
Havent Got :

- The Mood to wait

- The PS3

- The Interest to splurge being a casual gamer
oh i didn't know you din't have a PS3

go ahead and try it out,great game

i agree on not wanting to wait part

all the games i for which i whished i had a ps2 are now being remastered..!! gret ...so when is SOTC comming out!!?

strategy said:
all the games i for which i whished i had a ps2 are now being remastered..!! gret ...so when is SOTC comming out!!?
Tentatively, around March 2011.

Back