India withdraws data protection and privacy bill

My point was, everyone is stealing our data. It's not just Chinese. Also it's not true that if everyone stops using chinese phones, the CCP wouldn't get our data. They can get our data from other means just as easily. We can put a stop to the data harvesting only if we all go back to typewriters. There's no other way.

In today's world anyone with means and money can get our data. The world is too interconnected.

In modern warfare, the one with more information wins.

CCP has way more data on us than anyone else. All this is done from the comfort of their chairs.

I wouldn't recommend straight-up banning. That's bad for the country. Instead, have them comply with a data security law.

In modern warfare, the one with more information wins.

CCP has way more data on us than anyone else. All this is done from the comfort of their chairs.

I wouldn't recommend straight-up banning. That's bad for the country. Instead, have them comply with a data security law.
Yeah, that's why I said copy pasting EU laws. These are already good. But more importantly, all tech companies follow them and have eco system built around that. It takes mammoth amount of efforts, time, money in coding to comply with entirely new law system. Not to mention, Indian tech laws suffer from lot of mood swings. Plus, I don't have much hopes in our super duper highly qualified politicians to write competent laws.

For example, Fast-Tags. India thought it could better the automated road toll systems found around the world. But it's just as bad manual system we had before.

For example, Fast-Tags. India thought it could better the automated road toll systems found around the world. But it's just as bad manual system we had before.
We are good at planning... It is the implementation where we suck the most. The "how" factor is missing from the equation.
Another example, Mumbai Metro and the misery it is putting on the people and their children and so on..

It now names sense why govt decided to withdraw this bill in the Parliament. They or private agencies won't be able to mine customer's data...
They want to share all personal info, even the passwords with private parties.

Sharing details with Indian govt or companies can affect ones personal life in India. I don't understand how sharing data with Chinese or Americans is worse than this. These countries can't affect Indians personally.

They want to share all personal info, even the passwords with private parties.

Sharing details with Indian govt or companies can affect ones personal life in India. I don't understand how sharing data with Chinese or Americans is worse than this. These countries can't affect Indians personally.
Any unauthorized data mining is bad. If you want to look at it from that angle, China weaponises data mining which is much worse. Of course, it isn't better when the Americans do it, especially when it is the CIA or NSA that is involved, but otherwise in American capitalism, it is all about the money.

There were some discussion of the new guild wars 2 not being available in steam india for this reason. Don't know how true is this.

I was following the bill from Healthcare perspective (As I am involved in clinical research). It was scary to watch the draft being revised continuously into this citizen unfriendly manner. Hope they just implement equivalent of EU laws and fine the companies.

But that's not possible as we want foreign companies to invest in our country. Anything to scare them off and they will pull funding / people causing lot of economic duress.

I was following the bill from Healthcare perspective (As I am involved in clinical research). It was scary to watch the draft being revised continuously into this citizen unfriendly manner. Hope they just implement equivalent of EU laws and fine the companies.

But that's not possible as we want foreign companies to invest in our country. Anything to scare them off and they will pull funding / people causing lot of economic duress.

My 2 paisa,
Medical privacy is very BS in India. China knows more about your health than your family.

They've still not given up.

India is not at all copying all Chinese policies of mass surveillance and censorship.

Every govt. will try their best to implement mass surveillance, its only a matter of time.
Going to be more interesting once digital currency is adoption by larger populace, which is also inevitable.

Back