Indian NewEgg!

TheMask said:
Naa.. i was referring to the flames directed at ya..

Wishing you the very best in ur venture. And hope to see the "enthusiast" section soon. If u open that up, make sure u have all the top-of-the-line goodies at reasonable prices.. and i can bet half ur loyal customers will be from here... :)

Thanks for the well wishes. Enthusiast section would be introduced based on the response we get from initial marketing. We have a foresight and we plan to make techmirchi.com a long term success. Our immediate goal is to make people see and know that such a service is available in India. Costwise we have many overheads which will take time to beat but will eventually happen where we plan to compete all other resellers in India. As of now since it is the only exclsuive site for tech sales online, we are the best online! :hap2:

TheMask said:
Yes, how did u hear about us? we wud like to hear from you :D
Just for information,We have a tracking feature implemented on the site to track users based on referals and geographical location. We also get to know from where they get directed to our site.This is just for our own monitoring and this information is confidential. its a great way to measure the response on a website. Wow! Techenclave has a great response, the numbers are rolling :hap2:

Ragin_Ice said:
ur gonna have a lot of website hits tonight mr CEO ..... better look for site sponsors ....:hap2:

Are u talking about sponsoring Techenclave? I am ready to sponsor this site when it has more than 10,000 registered users :hap2: Techenclave rocks in the middle of the night.

Some suggestions:
1.Keep the pricing at par with the local guys.Many of ur items are way overpriced.
2.Focus on niche products like overclocker ram ,cooling stuff not easily available everywhere.Hope the enthusiast's section does that.
3.U mention free shipping everywhere,IMHO,thats not needed,coz I assume u add shipping to the price of the product b4hand.As long as the item is sold at the market price with a good warranty back up,most ppl wont mind paying the 50-200 bucks for shipping.
Best of luck.

TechMirchi said:
Just for information,We have a tracking feature implemented on the site to track users based on referals and geographical location. We also get to know from where they get directed to our site.This is just for our own monitoring and this information is confidential. its a great way to measure the response on a website.

ahaa.. u have to thank our good member Udit for doing u a favor then.. hahaah..

undertaker said:
Some suggestions:
1.Keep the pricing at par with the local guys.Many of ur items are way overpriced.
2.Focus on niche products like overclocker ram ,cooling stuff not easily available everywhere.Hope the enthusiast's section does that.
3.U mention free shipping everywhere,IMHO,thats not needed,coz I assume u add shipping to the price of the product b4hand.As long as the item is sold at the market price with a good warranty back up,most ppl wont mind paying the 50-200 bucks for shipping.
Best of luck.

Thanks for the Suggestions. The site is basically for moderately technology savvy people. Enthusiasts might find a better deal locally but we are the best online. With our initial research many people tend to buy just for buying being at the comfort of their homes and not all buyers are up do date on prices. And not everyone interested in technology live in big cities. Smaller towns only have the regular stuff and everything else can be ordered through us. Our intial reasearch proved the same and we have clients from smaller towns making most of the orders. We offer the best price online when compared to rediff,sify,fabmall,ebay with more of the trust factor and exclusivity which other online providers lack at. A shipping calculator would be implemented in the near future, but was avoided to decrease complexity for the first time users. The site is very simple and easy to use as of now. There would be more developments for sure based on the response we get. keep watching and thanks once again

ok i may have been harsh regarding the delivery part. i apologise for it. but this was based on my personal experience with some on-line retailers here.
But why are the prices of ur products so high. i re-affirm my earlier estimate that ur prices are about 20% more than the prevailing street prices.

Feedback and suggestions
---------------------------------------------
1) overcharging / high pricing:

for e.g. let us take the amd64 2800+ , soc 754 cpu as a benchmark.
its street price varies from Rs.5000 ~ 5200 here in mumbai. however the price quoted is 5900 @ ur site. why this anamoly or difference in price ?? surely the shipping would not exceed rs. 60 to 80 to most of the places in India.

or take Transcend 256MB DDR PC3200 , the street price of it here currently is Rs.1650 approx. (price obtained personally from PRIME AGBG, mumbai , last saturday). the price quoted at ur site is Rs. 2150. a difference of 400.

2) what would be the average shipping time from chennai to say Mumbai or Delhi.

3) What is your goods return policy. meaning suppose somebody orders a product from ur site , after he uses it for a day or two he is not satisfied with the product and wants to return it or get another equivalent product of different brand. (this obviously excludes products such as cpu's) will you / do you accept it back with a restocking fee of say 10 ~15 %. if no than why not ??

4)Current "HOT" products are absent from ur catalogue. There are no socket 939 cpu's and the m/b's to go with it., No LCD monitors, No higher wattage psu's , no modding products etc....

5)Why is the shipping free and included in the cost directly?? and what is the basis of calculating the shipping charges?? how would the amounts be reflected in the invoices.

6) what is your policy regarding QT (Quantity discounts) and Rebates offered by the mfgr's. What is the motivation for a person to order more.
You say you give more emphasis on rural region.where the purchasing power is relatively less than urban or semi-urban areas. so why are your prices unrealistic and exhorbitant ??
unless you reduce ur prices to make it in tune with the street prices what will be the motivation for people to purchase from you.generally in the rural areas i have observed that people depend upon their local , neighbourhood shopkeeper for their needs. the shop owner in turn actually goes to the nearest city and orders / purchases it and gives deliveries keeping a fixed margin for himself. what is the incentive for the buyers to buy the same product from you at a higher rate.??

deejay said:
ok i may have been harsh regarding the delivery part. i apologise for it. but this was based on my personal experience with some on-line retailers here.
But why are the prices of ur products so high. i re-affirm my earlier estimate that ur prices are about 20% more than the prevailing street prices.

Feedback and suggestions
---------------------------------------------
1) overcharging / high pricing:

for e.g. let us take the amd64 2800+ , soc 754 cpu as a benchmark.
its street price varies from Rs.5000 ~ 5200 here in mumbai. however the price quoted is 5900 @ ur site. why this anamoly or difference in price ?? surely the shipping would not exceed rs. 60 to 80 to most of the places in India.

or take Transcend 256MB DDR PC3200 , the street price of it here currently is Rs.1650 approx. (price obtained personally from PRIME AGBG, mumbai , last saturday). the price quoted at ur site is Rs. 2150. a difference of 400.

2) what would be the average shipping time from chennai to say Mumbai or Delhi.

3) What is your goods return policy. meaning suppose somebody orders a product from ur site , after he uses it for a day or two he is not satisfied with the product and wants to return it or get another equivalent product of different brand. (this obviously excludes products such as cpu's) will you / do you accept it back with a restocking fee of say 10 ~15 %. if no than why not ??

4)Current "HOT" products are absent from ur catalogue. There are no socket 939 cpu's and the m/b's to go with it., No LCD monitors, No higher wattage psu's , no modding products etc....

5)Why is the shipping free and included in the cost directly?? and what is the basis of calculating the shipping charges?? how would the amounts be reflected in the invoices.

6) what is your policy regarding QT (Quantity discounts) and Rebates offered by the mfgr's. What is the motivation for a person to order more.
You say you give more emphasis on rural region.where the purchasing power is relatively less than urban or semi-urban areas. so why are your prices unrealistic and exhorbitant ??
unless you reduce ur prices to make it in tune with the street prices what will be the motivation for people to purchase from you.generally in the rural areas i have observed that people depend upon their local , neighbourhood shopkeeper for their needs. the shop owner in turn actually goes to the nearest city and orders / purchases it and gives deliveries keeping a fixed margin for himself. what is the incentive for the buyers to buy the same product from you at a higher rate.??

Hi Deejay,

Let me clear your doubts one by one.

1. Eventhough our profits are less, we have many overhead costs with the interstate taxes in India contributing to the increase in price. VAT is not fully implemented and once when that happens the prices would go down further.
We have implemented techmirchi.com to be the pioneer in India for such a E-com service. We are working on more strategies to cut down prices which will happen in due course. The normal consumer mostly looks for less than MRP prices and our products are priced less than MRP. Our pricing is the best online and we cannot compete with local sellers as of now. They operate with profit margins of Rs.25 and 50 for many products which is not possible for any E-commerce buisiness.

2. We guarantee that the product would reach you within 3-5 days after ordering and completing the payment. It might be sooner than 3 days for some products. Delivery time is the best in the Indian E-com industry.

3. Any product which is opened and used cannot be returned, US sites have a restocking option but for that to happen we expect more turnover on our site. Moreover its our policy to list only the best and thus the user would be satisfied. Anyone buying online wud do atleast basic research before buying the product an thus we don't expect returns due to quality issues. In case a product has a defect we accept returns with one way free shipping.

4. The logistic system is not very mature in india and we have so many laws
forbidding interstate movement of goods of high value. Thus we are avoiding LCD monitors for the time being. We also don't want to lose 15000 bucks if it gets damaged on the way. Claiming insurance with any logistics company is a long tedious process too. Socket 939 processors and mobos would be introduced this week. We would list whatever we feel would sell.

5. We would be introducing a enthusiast section once we get enough feedback which would include everything geeky but as of now the enthusiast population is less than 5% and hard to satisfy them as of now with varied interests.

6. A shipping calculator is difficult to implement during a budding stage and we dont want to complicate things as of now. Shipping costs as of now would never be mentioned(as it is free) eventhough every customer would get a proper invoice with the delivery.

7. The motivation factor is obviously the service offered by techmirchi.com. We already have repeated customers and recommendations. Buying at techmirchi.com is better as you can watch all the specs before u buy. A local dealer would be indifferent and cannot be expected to be knowledgeable. We dont target corporates as of now and thus bulk discounts would be dealt directly offline.

8. According to our research purchase power doesnt depend much on geographical location but rather on interest. We have people buying high-end graphic cards from small towns.

9. Enthusiasts wud find the prices to be high, but not the first time buyers who dont keep track of prices. Pure buisiness is a lot different from satisfying enthusiasts at early stages. There are also many overhead costs and we are very much confident that no one online could offer better prices. We dont intend to compete with local sellers as of now. We also have a foresight and price reductions would happen eventually.
10. We dont intend sales alone as the driving factor for techmirchi.com. We want people to know that there is something like newegg.com in India too.
We have experienced many customers who don't care much about price but just buy to save time and some also feel uncomfortable buying with the indifffferent local sellers who dont have much information.

11. A lot of research has gone into techmirchi.com for the past one year and we have started this venture only based on that tedious research. And thus we are confident about techmirchi.com's success. Techmirchi.com is a long term project and even newegg.com started in a small way.

We appreciate and expect the support of online technology community for their valuable suggestions and feedback. We also hope they would encourage first time buyers to buy on our site.

Keep writing more, THANK YOU.

Thabrez, CEO

Techmirchi.com

techmirchi said:
5. We would be introducing a enthusiast section once we get enough feedback which would include everything geeky. But we mean business and the enthusiast population is less than 5%.

I beg to differ with that figure of 5%. Enthusiast community is who know about "stuff" and are always lurking online.. for reviews/previews et al.. and they are the ones who are most willingly easy to spend/upgrade too. If u have noticed there are many who are already sourcing hardware from the US. if u can bridge that gap with local warranty, support and reasonable pricing, u can expect that number to grow heavily too.

Well, Congratulation for having ventured into such a nice business. Well, I have got some doubts.

1) You are basically trying to rope in the rural customers and the first time buyers. But how many consumers from rural area know what processor goes into what motherboard and stuff like that? Connectivity is still a problem in rural areas. So, in all probablity the majority of potential rural customers dont have access to your site. Then comes the first time buyers part, according to my knowledge, I dont think any first time buyer wud want to build his rig on his own. First time buyers prefer to buy prebuilt(Assembled/Branded) machines. Yes, I did notice that you people are selling prebuilt systems too, but thats for delivery only in chennai.
2) As others have already mentioned, the prices are exhorbitant. You people are trying to target the wrong market. IMO ppl from cities are the biggest potential customers for an e-commerce site in India, and the prices are a big let down.
High-end Gaming Cabinet

and why these gimmicks???
wishing you all the best :)
PS: while you are at it, why dont you list out a few points as to why people shud buy from you? It's certainly not the cost. Since India is a huge country, replacement and warranty claims arent easier either.

hmm...m sorry if i hurt yer feelings, Mr CEO :)

About the shipping, I use Professional Couriers all the time.
they hav this pricing system.....all over karnataka, its 10 rupees per envelope. For all neighbouring states except Maharashtra, its 20. For all other states, its 40.

So if you could implement something similar to this, i.e., lower shipping in TN, a bit more for the neighbouring states, then still more for the rest of india, then it will be a lot better than the free shipping you offer :)
one more thing...i have seen many ppl in baazee robbing us plainly by using shipping. They post a shipping charge of arnd 300 rupees while the actuaL shiping costs only 50. Hope that does not happen in ur site :)

Great effort by Techmirchi. You are filling a void in the Indian IT scenario. I am sure once the business volume goes up, prices will come down further. I wish techmirchi all the success.

techmirchi said:
7. The motivation factor is obviously the service offered by techmirchi.com. We already have repeated customers and recommendations. Buying at techmirchi.com is better as you can watch all the specs before u buy. A local dealer would be indifferent and cannot be expected to be knowledgeable. We dont target corporates as of now and thus bulk discounts would be dealt directly offline.

Well this is no motivating factor... People would gladly watch all the specs, compare the specs and then go ahead and buy from their local dealers even if there is a difference of 50 bucks.
Whats more even if you are selling something for 50 rupees less then too people prefer local dealers for the simple reason that they can whip the dealer anyday should anything go wrong.

Having said that, its a great beggining and there are things beyond your control as of now. So hoping for a better future.

Well, its a good beginning but I would be glad if you more hard to find stuff out there at decent prices. That would be very useful for me and many others, as the general stuff is easy to find.

For eg. Iv been looking for good headphones like sennheiser hd's. Headphones are totally absent on the site.

Also electronics like gameboy advance, psp and their games would be nice :)

Plus how do you handle defects in products, do we have to ship it to you or what...?

how much would it cost to open a website like this

but starting at a bit lower level (keyword lower level, like in a single state level)

please include low level advertising cost.

Back