India's Tour of Australia - 2011

Finally, Aus v Ind series and no threads, I was about to start one. :p

Bluffmaster said:
But I have to say, he looked very classy today, didn't show sign of any nervousness, I guess we can chalk it up to just plain bad luck.

(Was) Looking so solid and confident with the cover drives. But it was a great delivery from Siddle which took him out.

India need to bat out tomorrow, 90 overs score a minimum of 250 runs. It's not a far fetched idea, they just have to avoid playing like Gambhir. Tomorrow will be the 3rd day and if India cannot capitalize on this foundation, then they won't be able to force a victory.

Ishant was bowling a very cautious line, not exactly attacking, but kept things tight.

Dhoni needs to be more aggressive with his field placements in the 2nd innings. And hopefully a fifth/sixth bowler will be used when the Faster bowlers run out of steam.

Very positive day for India, would have loved if Sachin hadn't been bowled.

:facepalm: They lost the plot entirely..! Difficult to redeem any positives out of this match unless our bowling department does wonders in the second innings. What a shame.. :no:

logistopath said:
:facepalm: They lost the plot entirely..! Difficult to redeem any positives out of this match unless our bowling department does wonders in the second innings. What a shame.. :no:

They seem to have started on the right foot :)

logistopath said:

Seems like they have found the plot book of India's earlier tours of Australia. Shame :facepalm:

We reduced them to 27/4 only to give away 100 runs free. I still dont understand Dhoni's captaincy. He persisted with Ashwin at one end even when he was giving away singles freely. A spell of 10 overs with seamers at both ends would have worked wonders. First 4 was because of the pressure built by seamers.

Chasing even 250 on this track on Day 4 would be tough and going by India's recent history with tailenders, Australia is on course to take a lead of 300+ which would require some special batting talent from the Indian side if they plan to chase it down. The Sad part is that this match always looked to be balanced towards India and as such it would be a shame to lose.

Now is the period when India usually loses the plot with Australia 7 Down.. Will India able to wrap up things faster this time? Or are we going to witness yet another Laxman special? Ah well.. as I write 8 down already :)

sharktale1212 said:
We reduced them to 27/4 only to give away 100 runs free. I still dont understand Dhoni's captaincy. He persisted with Ashwin at one end even when he was giving away singles freely. A spell of 10 overs with seamers at both ends would have worked wonders. First 4 was because of the pressure built by seamers.
Lol he wasn't giving away singles, the fields placements were not good. how can you not have a bat pad and a silly point for a spinner is beyond me.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk Pro.

All said and done, Dhoni does not come across as a good strategist as far as Test Cricket is concerned. Neither does he have technique to cope up with Test cricket bowling, especially outside the subcontinents. But with Saha in the wings, he can has no real pressure and can relax for few more years.

This match only proves had it been a better bowling unit and a better captain, aussies would have lost the match by an innings and under 4 days. Abject batting by both the teams and indian tail, which always starts from dhoni, have a lot to learn from the likes of bresnan, swann, broad et al.

ayanavish said:
This match only proves had it been a better bowling unit and a better captain, aussies would have lost the match by an innings and under 4 days. Abject batting by both the teams and indian tail, which always starts from dhoni, have a lot to learn from the likes of bresnan, swann, broad et al.
Going from the record of this year, the only team that could have done it is England. No other team is close to being consistent - Australia and South Africa for once are looking extremely vulnerable at home - something which has not happened in the last 20 years!

Sent from The Note using T'talk Pro

I think the track is becoming difficult to bat on. Hope dravid viru would bat tomorrow to lead india to victory. No hopes from middle order

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Haven't seen the match today but is it really the track? I kinda have my doubts about that after seeing some of the shots played - Dravid got a beauty early in the day, Kohli and Laxman got decent deliveries. Dhoni's was a ridiculous shot and so were Warner and Marsh's

Decent bounce and carry ..players got out playing the wrong shots..

If our Top order apply themself then a Target of 275 is not tough to reach.

Hope to see a cracker ..All the best Team India..

Freaky said:
Going from the record of this year, the only team that could have done it is England. No other team is close to being consistent - Australia and South Africa for once are looking extremely vulnerable at home - something which has not happened in the last 20 years!

Agreed! And that shows in England's test ranking. But, honestly this Aussie batting line up lacks confidence, which was exploited by a semi-decent Kiwi team, and also by the powerful SA when they bowled them out for 47. 2nd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Hobart; NZ were bundled for 150 in the first innings and took out the Aussies for 136!!
Freaky said:
Haven't seen the match today but is it really the track? I kinda have my doubts about that after seeing some of the shots played - Dravid got a beauty early in the day, Kohli and Laxman got decent deliveries. Dhoni's was a ridiculous shot and so were Warner and Marsh's

The track is a usual MCG track, which has help in the morning for the bowlers and does a little bit throughout the day. But, IMO most of the wickets have been result of poor batmanship and lack of application from the players. Some good examples of batting were displayed by Ed Cowan, Dravid and Sachin in the first innings.

Hopefully, India can restrict them between 250-275 and give a decent chase. :boxing22:

quixand said:
Lol he wasn't giving away singles, the fields placements were not good. how can you not have a bat pad and a silly point for a spinner is beyond me.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk Pro.
I am confused here. So having bat pad/silly point wud have saved those singles? How so?

Hussey was constantly coming out of his crease to drive him. Ashwin also bowled many balls on the pads. Last ball of the day summed up his bowling performance, fired in at the pads and 3 byes. I am not saying he is a bad bowler, I am just saying he still lacks experience/not really suited in Australian condition. Dhoni should time and again rest him; go for a two-pronged pace attack, something which we saw only at the start of the innings and got 4 wickets.

India already looking at making record of sorts at MCG for successful chase in 4th innings,

During last 40 years no team has successfully chased more than 200 here, and highest successful chase was 332 way back in 1902.

So my heart is already sinking, today was not able to see the first session, and tomorrow also wont be able to see the complete session due to work, hope Indian batsmen put their heads down and take off the target (Which in turn does not swell much from here).

Tomorrow I am waking up at 5 to cheer up India.

Back