Inexpensive router with guest network

tapestry

Disciple
Hello,

I'm looking for an inexpensive, but decent quality WiFi router to connect with my Hathway fiber connection. The modem+router combo they provide does not seem to have any guest network options. I'm trying to avoid guest getting access to surveillance cameras and other devices on the LAN.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

As inexpensive as possible actually, but I need a decent quality too. This will be placed at a remote location, so should have the least amount of operational issues. Is ₹2000 a good enough budget for this?

I'll have to confirm. But you're right, even if public IP is provided at the moment, they might switch to CGNAT in the future. Thanks for pointing it out

mikrotik 2.4g router would be good enough. 100mbps lan port, separate guest nw, tailscale or ssh to router directly.

i have 1 setup for an office i visit rarely, everything is done remotely,

I don't expect to need this much bandwidth, at least in the near future. I don't think the LAN ports would even be used on my router; only WiFi.

You might already know this, but here's a small reminder.

When using a 100Mbps port router, speeds will not cross 80-90Mbps on WiFi. This is because the WAN port itself is limited to 100Mbps. It would also not make sense to take a Broadband plan that exceeds 100Mbps.

This might not be a problem with the specific mikrotik router mentioned above, since it is only 2.4GHz, but I bought a 5GHz router and for several years was wondering why my WAN speeds never crossed 90Mbps despite having a 300Mbps connection.

Also if accessing router interface is mandatory, you can buy a cheap gigabit router (think Mi), a Pi Zero 2 W and use tailscale to connect to the Pi, which can then expose the router via a subnet. That way, you get a PiHole too for ad blocking.

Could you please elaborate on this part? My knowledge of networking technologies is rather limited
Pi Zero 2 W is a single board computer.
Install tailscale (a software that allows multiple devices to access each other across the internet as if they were connected to a local network) on pi.
Install tailscale on your smartphone and login to tailscale and connect to your pi.
You will have to setup some subnet stuff (link) and then you will be able to access your local network via your smartphone over the internet.

Back