CPU/Mobo Intel finds Bug in Sandy Bridge 6-Series chipsets, halts shipments

Re: Intel hit by sandy bridge design flaw..recall in process

In a nutshell, chipsets with Serial-ATA ports could degrade over time and hurt the performance of hard drives and DVD drives.

This potentially faulty chipset was used in Intel’s latest Core processors, or Sandy Bridge.

so it turns out, Even after so much testing. there can be flaws/bugs

testing can detect the presence of it but not the absence of bugs

so its a problem with the processor or the mobo only or both ?

Scorpy said:
so its a problem with the processor or the mobo only or both ?
Neither.

It's an issue with the chipset that handles SATA ports.
9Uuco.png

So im guessing they'll have to replace all motherboards and laptops shipped so far. That is going to be one painful process!

Re: Intel hit by Sandy Bridge design flaw..recall in process

$1 Billion hit to the bottomline.
Expected recall procedures to take effect in Mar/April.

Hopefully this doesn't affect the Z68 launch

Exactly, i think this will buy AMD some time to get Bulldozer and Llano ready :p Watch Intel shares drop now, a one Billion hit is not pocket change even for Intel!

Yea i hope the Z68 has been unaffected by all of this

AMD shud really wrap up things fast and they shud release their bulldozer core proccies before intel comes up wid a solution (Z68)... the P67 chipset problem is like a real advantage for AMD... When intel wud launch its repaired P67 chipset in april till that time AMD wud b ready to launch its bulldozer core processors. So this time the battle between Intel and AMD is really gonna b interesting... Fingers crossed :D

kippu said:
whew good thing i didnt order it .. thank you rahul aka stormblast :p
It aint all that big a deal actually.

The problem affects between 5-15% of all products sold and starts to manifest itself only 2.5-3 years down the line.

You could go out and get yourself a board today, and give it in for replacement down the line OR, simply wait a couple of months.

In related news, Newegg pulls a whole bunch of P67 boards off of its site.

stalker said:
Neither.

It's an issue with the chipset that handles SATA ports.
Also, only if you use SATA ports 2-6.

Using SATA ports 0 & 1 should be OK.

whatsinaname said:
Also, only if you use SATA ports 2-6.

Using SATA ports 0 & 1 should be OK.
Yes. More specifically, There won't be any issues while using the SATA 6Gbps ports since they run off of the Marvell controller. The SATA 3Gbps port run off of Intel's Cougar Point chipset which has led to the recall.

stalker said:
Yes. More specifically, There won't be any issues while using the SATA 6Gbps ports since they run off of the Marvell controller. The SATA 3Gbps port run off of Intel's Cougar Point chipset which has led to the recall.
Actually, now might be a good time to buy the Motherboards/processors, in case a few places have price drops. Get it a bit cheaper now, take part in the recall after a couple of months and get new boards.

whatsinaname said:
Actually, now might be a good time to buy the Motherboards/processors, in case a few places have price drops. Get it a bit cheaper now, take part in the recall after a couple of months and get new boards.
I wish I could.
Newegg just pulled the last LGA1155 chips. Weirdly enough, they still have 11 boards available.

AT said:
What About Current Sandy Bridge Owners?

On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by end users. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model. Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on).

Intel has already halted production of its 6-series chipsets and will begin shipping fixed versions of the chipset in late February. You can expect motherboard shortages through March at least. Intel hopes to be able to meet demand by April.

Currently Intel says the best course of action is to contact its support team for information on replacement, although I’m guessing once the fixed chipsets are available we’ll have replacement plans from all of the motherboard manufacturers.

If you have a desktop system with six SATA ports driven off of P67/H67 chipset, there’s a chance (at least 5%) that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working over the course of 3 years. The longer you use the ports, the higher that percentage will be. If you fall into this category, chances are your motherboard manufacturer will set up some sort of an exchange where you get a fixed board. The motherboard manufacturer could simply desolder your 6-series chipset and replace it with a newer stepping if it wanted to be frugal.

Crap, just when I thought I could invest in the Sandy Bridge later this month. Any idea if Indian retailers would do what Newegg just did? :(

I am sure by the month-end the revised boards wouldn't hit the shelves. :ashamed:

AT said:
Intel will begin shipping the fixed version of the chipset in late February. The recall will reduce Intel's revenue by around $300 million and cost around $700 million to completely repair and replace affected systems.

More waiting. :'(

Back