CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
GT2 to be used only one some processors, which mean only the high end ones. That's ridiculous.
GT1 is useless if it's just 10-20% increase in performance. Even GT2 wouldn't be that good even with a 60% increase in performance.

So, basically forget about IGP performance in Ivy Bridge. :p

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
Pointless to include the more powerful GPU into the 300$ product, and not the 150$ one. INTEL has some issues.

Nevertheless, Ivy Bridge looks soo uch more promising and exciting to me than Sandy Bridge E.

The Knight

Knight is coming
Adept
Nov 1, 2010
KOLKATA
Intel Ivy Bridge Gets Improved Overclocking Features
At the Intel Developer Forum, which takes place right now in San Francisco, California, the Santa Clara chip giant has released some new information regarding the overclocking features supported by its next-generation Ivy Bridge CPU architecture.

These improve upon the overclocking specs of Sandy Bridge and add support for higher multipliers, dynamic overclocking, which allows ratio change without requiring a reboot, as well as support for higher DDR3 frequencies.

According to a slide published by the AnandTech website, Intel will raise the maximum multiplier from 57x, in the current Sandy Bridge chips, to 63x, while the maximum official memory frequency supported will be set at 2800MHz. Overclockers will also have the ability to adjust the DDR3 speed in finer steps.

All these changes are expected to improve the overclocking potential of Ivy Bridge, although the higher multiplier support won't come into effect unless extreme cooling solutions, such as LN2, are being used.

Ivy Bridge is the code name used for the 22nm die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge chips and basically features the same architecture, but with a few minor tweaks and improvements.

As a result, the chips also inherit Sandy Bridge's inability to raise the BCLK as they come with a built-in clock generator that doesn't allow consumers to raise this frequency by more than 10MHz.
This basically means that overclockers have to rely on raising the multiplier in order to achieve high overclocks, but support for unlocked multipliers is only available in a limited series of CPUs from the K-series.

Besides improved overclocking, other key features that made their way into Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge chips include DirectX 11 support, better AVX performance, an integrated PCI Express 3.0 controller as well as native USB 3.0 support thanks to the Panther Point chipsets.

These first Ivy Bridge processors are expected to debut in April/May 2012 and will rapidly take the place of the current Sandy Bridge CPUs.
Source: Intel Ivy Bridge Gets Improved Overclocking Features - Softpedia

Hades.

Skilled
Aug 23, 2010
Intel Ivy Bridge CPU Names and Features Revealed

Source : news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-Names-and-Features-Revealed-228025.shtml

While there are still six more months to go until Intel plans to introduce its first processors based on the Ivy Bridge architecture, details about these chips keep pouring in and the latest info has come to confirm the names Intel intends to use for these CPUs as well as some of their specifications.

Starting with the Core processor lineup, this will be split into the same i3, i5 and i7 series, but Ivy Bridge parts will carry the 3000 designation, just as is the case with the upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processors.

Pentium CPUs on the other hand, won't get the same 3000-series designation as their more powerful brothers, but will also move to a new naming scheme that used four digits instead of the usual three.

In addition to the new names, Intel has also operated a series of changes to the maximum TDP's of the processors as these now top at 77W compared to 95W in Sandy Bridge.

This TDP is common for both the high-end Core i7 and Core i5 parts, including the K-series unlocked CPUs.

The rest of the features were pretty much left unaltered so the same characteristics that made the difference between Core i7, i5, i3 and Pentium processors in Sandy Bridge SKUs are also used for Ivy Bridge parts.

Ivy Bridge is the code name used for the 22nm die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge chips and features basically the same architecture, but with a few minor tweaks and improvements.

This includes a new on-die GPU that will come with full DirectX 11 support as well as with 30% more EUs than Sandy Bridge, in order to offer up to 60% faster performance that current Core CPUs according to Intel.

In addition, the processor cores have also received some minor tweaks as their AVX performance was slightly increased and Intel has updated the integrated PCI Express controller to the 3.0 standard.

Right now, Intel's partners received rev. 2 engineering samples of Ivy Bridge processors, but next week the chip maker is expected to start shipping the first QS (qualification sample) chips. The retail version of Ivy Bridge is expected to arrive in March or April of 2012. (via Hardcore-Hardware)

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
^^ Eh but what about the IQ, Intel GPU is like the P&S camera, increase Mega-pixels without any improvement in IQ :)

The Knight

Knight is coming
Adept
Nov 1, 2010
KOLKATA
Intel to Detail 22-nm Ivy Bridge CPUs at ISSCC

At the 2012 ISSC (International Solid-State Circuits) conference, that is scheduled to take place in February of next year, Intel will disclose additional details about its upcoming Ivy Bridge processors based on the 22nm fabrication process.

The talks will focus on an entry-level Ivy Bridge desktop or notebook processor which uses four IA-32 cores, a graphics-processing core, memory and a PCI Express controller, all built on the 22nm fabrication node, according to EETime’s findings.

Other details about this chip were not released, but we do know that the Ivy Bridge presentation will be accompanied by another Intel talk dedicated to a low-power CPU.

This will be built using the 32nm process technology and consumes just 737 mW at 1.2V while running at 915MHz.

Ivy Bridge is the code name used for the 22nm die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge chips and features basically the same architecture, but with a few minor tweaks and improvements.

This includes a new on-die GPU that will come with full DirectX 11 support as well as with 30% more EUs than Sandy Bridge, in order to offer up to 60% faster performance that current Core CPUs according to Intel.

In addition, the processor cores have also received some minor tweaks as their AVX performance was slightly increased and Intel has updated the integrated PCI Express controller to the 3.0 standard.

In the mobile version of Ivy Bridge, all these improvements are paired with a configurable TDP design, which enables the CPU to greatly surpass its maximum thermal design power when additional cooling is provided (like when placed on a notebook cooling stand).

According to some previous rumors, Intel should be already shipping the first Ivy Bridge QS (qualification sample) chips to its partners. The retail version of Ivy Bridge is expected to arrive in March or April of 2012.

Link: Intel to Detail 22-nm Ivy Bridge CPUs at ISSCC - Softpedia

Tao

Disciple
Mar 14, 2009
^ So Ivy will have a negligible processor improvement ( like ~5% clock-for-clock ?? ) over Sandy - hopefully it will clock higher - I wish it would hit a stable 4.5 Ghz 24/7 without much pain - more than enough for 5 years

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
I think 2GHz with a 65W TDP isn't much.

I was expecting the 35W TDP on it as that's what reports and INTEL have been blaring about, lower TDPs.

I think Ivy Bridge and Haswell are gonna be very very interesting, alongwith their FUSION counterparts.

Tao

Disciple
Mar 14, 2009
comp@ddict said:
I think 2GHz with a 65W TDP isn't much.

I was expecting the 35W TDP on it as that's what reports and INTEL have been blaring about, lower TDPs.

I think Ivy Bridge and Haswell are gonna be very very interesting, alongwith their FUSION counterparts.

35W will happen for Mobile Quad cores - these are Desktop quads ES , which why the absurd clocks and all. I also believe the stepping mentioned is old .