CPU/Mobo Intel NUC BOXNUC7CJYSAMN

Just as a comparison to this, I got this older J4005 based model for little less than 7k when it was on sale -
Added 2 x 4 GB RAM and an SSD and attached it behind the monitor. Works perfect as my Office PC for remote working, some browsing and Zoom calls. It runs Windows 10 LTSC pretty well. I use a USB-C based Jabra headset.

You will need to define a use case for this, for eg. headless linux machine. Its not for desktop use.

Though its a pizza, its a cheapest basic one and not a farmhouse, Farmhouse pizzas are available like NUC12i5 with 12 cores at ~45k in case you want desktop replacement (30-100 watts), this one at 5k can run plenty of containers and can work as NAS just fine at 5-10 watts
Yeah I get that. But there's also the issue of how much single function crap you want to fill your place with.
You could get a second hand NUC for the 2x the price and get 3-4x the performance. So thats the full reasoning. Obviously cheap stuff sells.
I have no particular use case, I get a good deal on a use ful thing, I try to fit it in if needed. But you are correct this can easily replace the RPI. Only issue is the power consumption and the RPI have been rock solid. Havent touched since 2019 lmao.

Set up the NUC today and did the following:

- Slapped in the Crucial 8GB RAM stick (Total RAM: 12GB now)

- Slapped in 120GB WD Green SSD

- Disabled eMMC Internal Storage from BIOS

- Disabled Secure Boot from BIOS

- Installed Windows 10 (x64) LTSC

- Downloaded and installed BIOS Update from Bootable Flashdrive:
BIOS Update Link
BIOS Update Steps

- Enabled eMMC from BIOS

- Formatted eMMC from Windows (Now is a drive with 57GB free space).

The NUC is connected to a spare 27" FHD Monitor. Installed Google Chrome on it and Youtube videos play fine. CPU Usage is around 70-80% and sometimes touches 98%. With 12GB of RAM Windows 10 LTSC (x64) is smooth and doesn't lag.

The NUC will be used as a HDD hub. I will connect 1-2 external HDD's on it and share them over my LAN network at home. Other than that will be used to stream news or sports streams. Simple tasks.

Set up the NUC today and did the following:
[...]
ok I'm planning do something like this but with a few changes:

Install the 8GB RAM and an old 256GB SSD
Boot from the eMMC
Update BIOS from flash drive
Disable secure boot.
Disable eMMC.
Install Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop on a SSD.
Enable eMMC, format it and use it as additional storage? (swap?)
Enable VNC to access it remotely
attach an old 4TB external drive for torrent/download stuff

any pitfall in this?
will it be good enough for some basic Docker stuff and some basic python scripts in addition to the above?

Install Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop on a SSD.
Enable eMMC, format it and use it as additional storage? (swap?)
Enable VNC to access it remotely
If you're going to be running docker and scripts, then why not use SSH instead of VNC? Run the NUC without GUI, it will be better that way. Rendering the desktop uses the processor a lot.

Also, eMMC is likely to be slower than the SSD, so better to use SSD as the swap

Do sign in into the Win 11 during the setup so that it will link the license to your mail ID, after that you can erase mmc from Ubuntu and use it.
this won't be necessary as post reinstall (even after disabling the OS drive), I have seen Windows key picked from UEFI firmware across desktops and laptops.

Worst scenario will be Win 10/11 in S mode. which user can get out of with the account linking option you mentioned.

If you're going to be running docker and scripts, then why not use SSH instead of VNC? Run the NUC without GUI, it will be better that way. Rendering the desktop uses the processor a lot.

Also, eMMC is likely to be slower than the SSD, so better to use SSD as the swap
So just install the Ubuntu 22.04 Server and access the torrent client from its webUI?
and any good control panel with useful webUI to manage the server?

So just install the Ubuntu 22.04 Server and access the torrent client from its webUI?
Yes. Or just disable the GUI in your current install.

Torrent client might also have a native client which can connect to a remote machine. You can use those as well. I use Transmission and Transmission Remote GUI. Unfortunately this hasn't been updated in a while, but it's still the most feature rich client and works fine with latest version of transmission.

Portainer can act as a GUI for your Docker containers, but it has a slight learning curve.

and any good control panel with useful webUI to manage the server?
qBittorrent is a good choice, has built in webgui only mode (either through qbittorrent-nox, or some container images).

Imo installing a dedicated server software on the hardware is a better choice, truenas scale/omv will run nicely and has support for docker containers (+kubernetes for truenas).

Can I use the windows serial number of this NUC in my other devices to get a genuine license. If yes then it is a cheaper as compared to windows price is around 10000

Added another 4GB of RAM, already seeing some improvements.

Currently installed this one.

Meanwhile, does anyone know what these pins are for?

One on the top left says PWR and the other don't seem to have any marking. Am unable to find a manual (not a user guide) for this board.

NUC.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, does anyone know what these pins are for?

One on the top left says PWR and the other don't seem to have any marking. Am unable to find a manual (not a user guide) for this board.

View attachment 173257

That is an Auxiliary Power Connector (AUX_PWR).

Board Diagram:
1.JPG

2.JPG

More Info Here (PDF): Intel NUC7CJY/NUC7PJY Technical Product Specification

^^ Go to Page 45 in the above link and under Power Supply Connector section you will find more info on that Auxiliary Power Pin Connector slot.

Going to try and use Scrypted https://docs.scrypted.app/ for my 6 tapo cameras. Pi certainly not strong enough.
I have like 10-15 of Tapo cams. Whats so special about this software? I was thinking of Shinobi since it just saves the stream directly without editing.
What does the integration with HomeKit, Google Home, and Alexa mean? Do these apps have inbuilt players?

EDIT - Checked out its NVR. Holy shit this looks good. Will this work on NUC 11 i5? Can install as a container, along with other VMs.

Any other good options you checked out?

Last edited:
I have like 10-15 of Tapo cams. Whats so special about this software? I was thinking of Shinobi since it just saves the stream directly without editing.
What does the integration with HomeKit, Google Home, and Alexa mean? Do these apps have inbuilt players?

EDIT - Checked out its NVR. Holy shit this looks good. Will this work on NUC 11 i5? Can install as a container, along with other VMs.

Any other good options you checked out?
No just this for now man. I really need a better way to view and scrub camera footage than the f*ck all Tapo app. Scrypted has extremely good reviews, a very active community, and a hyperactive dev (Koush/Koushik Dutta).

I‘ve managed to get all my 30ish IoT devices on HomeKit via homebridge on a Pi4 4gb, but struggling with cameras. It’s just not powerful enough. I have an overpowered NAS (10105f+1050ti+16gb ram) with lots of space, will probably use that first. What do with the nuc now :rolleyes:

Back