CPU/Mobo Intel NUC BOXNUC7CJYSAMN

Added 8gb ram and now its at 12gb. Windows 11 is much better than before! Improved a lot, now can say that you can work on basic office setup or for watching youtube for kids...

Can you tell me if I -
1) Update bios etc
2) Install 4gb ram and a cheap ssd (or leave the emmc) (does it have 2 slots?)
3) Install normal windows 10 x86 version and de-bloat it

Will it be good simple normal office work? Basically excel or tally type.

Also if it has usb 3 ports, can I attach 2-3 harddrives, install a linux distro that supports NAS type functionality and use it as a NAS ?
I dont need this as a personal pc or for media. Purely utility.
it should be good for normal office work after debloating it.

I am also planning to use it as NAS. Earlier I was looking at Zimaboard for this, but it came out more expensive than this (although it has 2 sata and 1 PCIe slot). But for 5.3k, this is a steal deal.
I am planning to use 2TB SSD as primary NAS drive and one external drive for backup. Let's see what can be achieved here, once it is delivered.

Can you tell me if I -
1) Update bios etc
2) Install 4gb ram and a cheap ssd (or leave the emmc) (does it have 2 slots?)
3) Install normal windows 10 x86 version and de-bloat it

Will it be good simple normal office work? Basically excel or tally type.

Also if it has usb 3 ports, can I attach 2-3 harddrives, install a linux distro that supports NAS type functionality and use it as a NAS ?
I dont need this as a personal pc or for media. Purely utility.
  • 8gb ram should be good
  • do not run off eMMC, it’s quite an handicap, use partition cloning app to do this
  • I think this NUC only works with x64
it can work as a basic office/excel/tally/nas provided you have at least 8gb ram, 120gb SATA ssd, debloat, set high-perf power plan, and optimise for performance

messed up the bcd after cloning and wiping the eMMC, used the bcdboot command from the link below to fix the bcd path

@m0h1t : I plan on doing these steps but wanted to just ask here first:

- Deactivate eMMC from BIOS
- Install SSD
- Install 8GB RAM stick
- Install Windows 10 (x64) LTSC from external flash drive
- Boot Windows 10 LTSC from SSD

Hope this is a right path to follow? I'll be using this purely as an external HDD hub and have 1-2 HDD's connected to via USB and shared over my home network. Might access the web sometimes. Will have a spare monitor connected to it.

Last edited:
Added 8gb ram and now its at 12gb. Windows 11 is much better than before! Improved a lot, now can say that you can work on basic office setup or for watching youtube for kids...
Is this good for regular web surfing and occasionally watching 4k video ? Also in task manager what is the cpu usage when performing day to day tasks .

@m0h1t : I plan on doing these steps but wanted to just ask here first:

- Deactivate eMMC from BIOS
- Install SSD
- Install 8GB RAM stick
- Install Windows 10 (x64) LTSC from external flash drive
- Boot Windows 10 LTSC from SSD

Hope this is a right path to follow? I'll be using this purely as an external HDD hub and have 1-2 HDD's connected to via USB and shared over my home network. Might access the web sometimes. Will have a spare monitor connected to it.

once you’re done installing win 10, you can enable the eMMC and wipe it. Use it for whatever.

if you want to retain the win 11 license that came with the nuc, sign in with your outlook ID once before wiping the eMMC and associate the license with your ID. You can now probably use this license on any machine in the future by logging into the same ID.

im sticking with full windows 11 only for now, after all the tweaks it’s working fine for me with minimal stutter.

Is this good for regular web surfing and occasionally watching 4k video ? Also in task manager what is the cpu usage when performing day to day tasks .
With windows 11 even with max debloat and the lite version, anything you touch gets the cpu to 100% but things are workable not smooth.
But with Chrome OS Flex, it much better. But you are limited to Chrome OS tasks. I'd say try with Windows 10. I'm planning to check that out later.

im sticking with full windows 11 only for now, after all the tweaks it’s working fine for me with minimal stutter.

Thanks so much for the input, appreciate it.

Since you mention that you are sticking with Windows 11 for now did you clone Windows 11 to your SSD or are you running it from the eMMC?

You guys should just use DietPi x86 on this

No matter what you do, any version of Windows 10/11 is going to be horrible on this included those homebrew ISOs.
This is only good for a headless OS.
Another user said his Synology NAS using the same processor is running great. So will xpenology work fine with this?

Back