CPU/Mobo Intel NUC BOXNUC7CJYSAMN

okay, I pulled a 2666mhz 16gb stick from my work laptop. Kingston kvr26S19D8/16

2666 MHz works
If 2666Mhz works then maybe we can make the crucial 4GB 2666Mhz from amazon.in work with this? It is half the price compared to the Kingston one in Flipkart.

Will wait till any brave soul tries it

Take a look at this Intel BOXNUC7CJYSAMN - Windows 11, Intel, Celeron 4505, 4 GB DDR4, 64 GB eMMC Mini PC on Flipkart

Guys the above Nuc, can it work as a streaming device if connected via hdmi to tv.
Atm i have to download a few of my fav tv show episodes from the internet via my pc to USB drives and then I connect the USB drives to tv for watching..

Can the above nuc be setup in such a way that it automates the process.

Thanks
Yea, it can be done. Check out my earlier about ezarr. If you want to automate the installation too then you can install dietpi os.

Okay, this is my first NUC unit... what should I do first, insert SSD and install Windows on it like I normally do on a PC? How to go about it...

Last edited:
The deal is still available mate

Take a look at this Intel BOXNUC7CJYSAMN - Windows 11, Intel, Celeron 4505, 4 GB DDR4, 64 GB eMMC Mini PC on Flipkart
I got this delivered yesterday.
Below are some observations:
Windows 11 on it was very slow and couldn't even do basic tasks.
Then shifted to the Ubuntu lite and still was not satisfied with the performance.
Then shifted to the windows 11 tiny, not much improvement. Better than the earlier one but still not a lot (both are still in S mode)
Then shifted to Chrome OS Flex, this seem to be fine for now and as long as i maintain max 4-5 tabs in chrome then its fine.

All the above still on 4GB ram, getting a 8gb ram to add to this. Will post updated findings later.

Edit: Forgot to add, before Chrome OS Flex, tried the LibreElec for plex but still its not able to handle 4k streams without frame drops.

I got this delivered yesterday.
Below are some observations:
Windows 11 on it was very slow and couldn't even do basic tasks.
Then shifted to the Ubuntu lite and still was not satisfied with the performance.
Then shifted to the windows 11 tiny, not much improvement. Better than the earlier one but still not a lot (both are still in S mode)
Then shifted to Chrome OS Flex, this seem to be fine for now and as long as i maintain max 4-5 tabs in chrome then its fine.

All the above still on 4GB ram, getting a 8gb ram to add to this. Will post updated findings later.

Edit: Forgot to add, before Chrome OS Flex, tried the LibreElec for plex but still its not able to handle 4k streams without frame drops.
Did you install an ssd or were these run on the 64gb emmc internal memory?

any improvement in performance?
No, but I haven’t used it with 4gb, earlier I ran it with 16gb now 12gb. With both ram utilisation was about 20-24%. With 4gb ram it would probably have a performance hit.

a few other things I’ve done since I got it
  1. exited out of S mode on Win 11
  2. removed all unnecessary bloat including all unnecessary windows uwp apps, teams, onedrive and 8-9 office installations.
  3. updated everything on windows update, make sure you update the hd graphics to v31 (shows up under optional updates).
  4. updated everything in MS store
  5. updated the bios to v70, it fixes a few vulnerabilities
  6. turned off most permissions in privacy section and telemetry data
  7. installed hw hevc and av1 etc decoding, I had already bought hevc codec on ms store earlier, but not sure if you need to buy.
  8. turned off windows hdr
  9. select ‘adjust for best performance’ under ‘performance‘ tab under ‘advanced‘ in ‘advanced system settings’. This eliminate a lot of jank and stutter at the expense of visual fidelity.
Now, to clone the windows installation to a SATA ssd.

performance isnt snappy, but it’s not complete garbage also. There stutter everyExperienced frame drops on 2160p60fps YouTube videos. 4K high bitrate movies play fine on plex web client without frame drops, it does max out the onboard gpu decoding though. windows Plex app is complete garbage. Would not recommend this as a Plex server, don’t expect any transcoding capabilities from this.

think of this as a slightly powerful Pi4. It’s great for pihole, dns server, motioneye, NAS, homebridge etc kind of projects. Could be used as a basic reception pc to take appoints and/or for billing.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered crucial 8gb 3200mhz since it was the only decent one with same day delivery, will update if it works

Edit: Delivered and installed. Works fine.
Can you share the exact serial number on the device and the number of ram chips on top of it and whether it is single sided or double sided ?

Last year, I've ordered the 8GB Crucial 2666Mhz ram module to verify. It worked.
Then I ordered another one from the page & same seller, but Crucial changed the chip layout with 8 Chips on single side with same model number (and added an extra character at the end) and it did not work with the NUC (it works on laptop though).

Got mine delivered now. Its dual rank it seems. 2 sides with 4 chips per side. Its: CT8G4SFRA32A

Working fine. Chrome OS Flex seems little more responsive with 12GB but 12GB is overkill. Probably will remove 4GB and use wih 8GB.

Will test more.

No, but I haven’t used it with 4gb, earlier I ran it with 16gb now 12gb. With both ram utilisation was about 20-24%. With 4gb ram it would probably have a performance hit.

2. removed all unnecessary bloat including all unnecessary windows uwp apps, teams, onedrive and 8-9 office installations.
  3. updated everything on windows update, make sure you update the hd graphics to v31 (shows up under optional updates).
  7. installed hw hevc and av1 etc decoding, I had already bought hevc codec on ms store earlier, but not sure if you need to buy.
  9. select ‘adjust for best performance’ under ‘performance‘ tab under ‘advanced‘ in ‘advanced system settings’. This eliminate a lot of jank and stutter at the expense of visual fidelity.

performance isnt snappy, but it’s not complete garbage also. There stutter everyExperienced frame drops on 2160p60fps YouTube videos. 4K high bitrate movies play fine on plex web client without frame drops, it does max out the onboard gpu decoding though. windows Plex app is complete garbage. Would not recommend this as a Plex server, don’t expect any transcoding capabilities from this.

think of this as a slightly powerful Pi4. It’s great for pihole, dns server, motioneye, NAS, homebridge etc kind of projects. Could be used as a basic reception pc to take appoints and/or for billing.
A little more responsive by moving the OS to the ssd from eMMC. Disk ops like removing office is much faster.

I also chose the high performance power plan in power plans.

run this from an elevated cmd to get rid of old updates and lighten the winsxs folder which is hogging lot of space
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

Can you tell me if I -
1) Update bios etc
2) Install 4gb ram and a cheap ssd (or leave the emmc) (does it have 2 slots?)
3) Install normal windows 10 x86 version and de-bloat it

Will it be good simple normal office work? Basically excel or tally type.

Also if it has usb 3 ports, can I attach 2-3 harddrives, install a linux distro that supports NAS type functionality and use it as a NAS ?
I dont need this as a personal pc or for media. Purely utility.

Test drove the NUC today. It was bundled with Win11 and it's pitifully slow.

Launching task manager felt exactly like this. It immediately shot up CPU usage to 100% with nothing running in the background.

1689597840434.png

Am waiting for the RAM and SDD to be delivered by Thursday. Meanwhile, I'll start with removing bloat and unnecessary stuff running in the startup and background.

Last resort. I'll have to throw away Win 11 and install Ubuntu.

Back