CPU/Mobo Intel NUC BOXNUC7CJYSAMN

Scrypted is damn neat, I've got all 6 cameras on homekit, lot of config options including hardware based transcoding and custom motion detection. Getting the max quality possible from the cameras, very low latency on wlan, feed opens up in ~2-3 seconds remotely on lte, a little faster than the tapo app.

Can definitely run on the NUC, but can be demanding depending on the configuration. For example, pre-buffer previews will use cpu to update the preview image from the last 2-3 seconds.

Scrypted NVR is paid but optional, $10/year per camera, works remotely also. Its very slick and seemless, but $60 for 6 cameras is pricey, especially since I need to use my own storage.

Nice!! How many drives have you stuck into that NAS system and also which OS are you running on it? More details please...

Ubuntu 22.04 + Plex + Scrypted now
ironwolf 1x4TB 1x2TB
old seagate shucked external HDDs 2x2TB

A tutorial would be great.
https://docs.scrypted.app/

--------------------

@Party Monger dude this scrypted app is amazing. works quite well with tapo cameras.

tplink nuked 3rd party motion detectiond which is passed via onvif, but thats okay, scyrpted has a plugin 'opencv' that enables server-side motion detection. passes all of my cameras to homekit with homekit secured video recording. If you have icloud 200GB plan, you get free storage for 5 x cameras.

ANNNDDDD. HomeKit secure video has face recognition also! So happy.

Will move over the docker compose to the NUC to see if it can handle, motion detection for 6 cameras, because it's power requirement is low. If the electricity goes, the NUC can survive much longer.

Last edited:
Scrypted is damn neat, I've got all 6 cameras on homekit, lot of config options including hardware based transcoding and custom motion detection. Getting the max quality possible from the cameras, very low latency on wlan, feed opens up in ~2-3 seconds remotely on lte, a little faster than the tapo app.

Can definitely run on the NUC, but can be demanding depending on the configuration. For example, pre-buffer previews will use cpu to update the preview image from the last 2-3 seconds.

Scrypted NVR is paid but optional, $10/year per camera, works remotely also. Its very slick and seemless, but $60 for 6 cameras is pricey, especially since I need to use my own storage.

Ubuntu 22.04 + Plex + Scrypted now
ironwolf 1x4TB 1x2TB
old seagate shucked external HDDs 2x2TB
The NVR is paid? :O
No Opensource option?
So otherwise it only links cameras with homekit, homeassistant etc?
Do you have any idea about how it plays with non-apple ecosystem? I have tonnes of cameras but nearly zero automation and if i do, it will probably be opensource.
AS for power, do you think, if we install this in a container, it'll be able to use the NUC Igpu and transcode whatever 1-2 streams you'll view at a time? My NUC11 has a better igpu i think.

This is why I was looking for something that just stores the stream, and also streams the same encoding, with just an app that can decode any of these. Considering most 10k+ phones can easily decode most streams. This way I dont need very good hardware, and my server can handle other VMs easily and not spend significant resources on it.
https://docs.scrypted.app/

--------------------

@Party Monger dude this scrypted app is amazing. works quite well with tapo cameras.

tplink nuked 3rd party motion detectiond which is passed via onvif, but thats okay, scyrpted has a plugin 'opencv' that enables server-side motion detection. passes all of my cameras to homekit with homekit secured video recording. If you have icloud 200GB plan, you get free storage for 5 x cameras.

ANNNDDDD. HomeKit secure video has face recognition also! So happy.

Will move over the docker compose to the NUC to see if it can handle, motion detection for 6 cameras, because it's power requirement is low. If the electricity goes, the NUC can survive much longer.
God damn this does seem to fit very well as an ecosystem.
As far as I checked with Frigate, object detection takes quite some resources or a google coral device. But face detection could be less heavy. But euther way, it will take significant resources if you have a 24fps stream.
Which NUC do you have? Man im so busy for next few weeks, once im free i'll be trying all of this shit together.
TPlink has been an asshole till now. Even my Yi cams had a desktop app. These ****ers didnt release one yet. They removed motion timeline in some of the basic cams. too. So even though you see motion bars on the timeline, you have to manually move there in recent c100 models. Thankfully flipkart had some cheap TC70 which i snagged. Cheaper, better quality video and audio, pan and tilt, and got them for 1500 ish hehehe.

Last edited:
Any update on this guys? What else you are using this for?
Im planning to run this as a torrent box 24/7!
shall I keep windows for this by adding 8gb of ram or install Ubuntu with the existing 4gb?

Any update on this guys? What else you are using this for?
Im planning to run this as a torrent box 24/7!
shall I keep windows for this by adding 8gb of ram or install Ubuntu with the existing 4gb?
I have installed linux mint on this. Works smoothly. Then installed nextcloud to use this at NAS. Now waiting for 8gb RAM and 2 MX500 SSDs to arrive.

Has anyone tried transferring the keys to other builds? I want to get rid of win11 and use ubuntu or mint (install it on emmc?)

Has anyone tried transferring the keys to other builds? I want to get rid of win11 and use ubuntu or mint (install it on emmc?)

For Windows 10, I would transfer the drive to another computer temporarily and activate online by calling Microsoft. It was/is an automated process but required an international phone call that lasts about 5 minutes.

For Windows 10, I would transfer the drive to another computer temporarily and activate online by calling Microsoft. It was/is an automated process but required an international phone call that lasts about 5 minutes.
So, can a Windows 10 key be transferred? If yes, please share the link and steps required.

If you're okay with linking your activation with a microsoft account:

If you want to do what I did, which is just put the existing drive into a new computer then you need to activate through phone:

Once activated, you can remove that drive and do a fresh install on a different drive without a key and windows will be activated based on digital signatures of the hardware you had when you activated by phone.

Some say you can transfer an OEM key through phone activation up to three times before it stops working, but I never needed to do this more once.

My preferred way of activating windows is to use a Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 or 11. You can literally find Windows 7 keys in scrap piles of branded desktops near used computer dealers.

Or just use one of these: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=windows+7+key+sticker&first=1

So after using it (installing windows update) I feel that it's 2 weak core are already bring the windows experience to it's knees.
The I feel it's best use case would be to on Linux .
P.S. :- This was after upgrading it with a 8Gb ram module and a 128gb SSD.

The cpu is too weak . I have the same experience on an asus x540ya laptop I bought new with win 10. The dual core amd e1 6010 was too weak to run windows 10/11 . Always any taks runs with massive lag and 100% cpu utilisation . Even upgrading the ram and adding an SSD to the original hdd did not help . Also Linux too works with any xfce type install never full gnome or kde .

I have installed Xubuntu 22.04 in mine. Currently running arr apps for downloads. Generally my average ram usage is around 2GB and CPU usage is around 40%.
Have not installed any additional RAM. Have attached my 4TB hard disk through USB for storage. I am able to browse in Firefox with 5-6 tabs open without any issues.
Docker.JPG
Usage.JPG

I have upgraded the machine to 16gb RAm and installed TrueNas Scale on internal EMMC storage. It is running without any issues.
I am using a 500gb ssd for storage at the moment. In future, I will be upgrading storage and will run some containers on it.
However, I have doubts about running TrueNas on emmc. Can someone throw some light on lifespan of emmc?
I was planning to only attach one SSD to internal sata port as I donot plan on storing any critical data on it.
Currently I have installed Nextcloud and Zerotier
Here is a screenshot of system usage

1690783357185.png

Back