PC Peripherals Intel Quad NIC availability

The 2nd WAN circuit is giving some issues on Pfsense since last few days and same WAN link works fine on Dlink router. I am looking for replacing Dual port NIC with Quad port NIC in my pfsense build.
I bought Intel Dual NIC earlier from Ebay but now that options is not available. Does anyone know where I can get cheap Intel NIC online in India.
It seems Intel I340/I350 are good options but don't find it online easily.
The 2nd WAN circuit is giving some issues on Pfsense since last few days and same WAN link works fine on Dlink router. I am looking for replacing Dual port NIC with Quad port NIC in my pfsense build.
I bought Intel Dual NIC earlier from Ebay but now that options is not available. Does anyone know where I can get cheap Intel NIC online in India.
Any feedback Guys.
@vivek.krishnan

Last edited:
I am looking for replacing Dual port NIC with Quad port NIC in my pfsense build.
Apologies for the dumb question, but in this NIC is each ethernet port a separate network connection or is it just for additional bandwidth?
I was wondering if this could be used to connect (aggregate / fail over) multiple internet connections.

Seeen some in OLX, they were not cheap though. Are you having high internet bandwidth that requires such hardware ?
I am having 2x100Mbps connections.

I have a single port version of this. I had bought it for DIY OPNSense build. But then the host machine died (unrelated event). You can have it if you want.

https://servercart.in/product/dell-intel-quad-port-server-adapter-pci-e-pro-1000-vt-p-n-0yt674/ I don't know how reliable they are, but worth a shot!

I am looking for Quad NiC as MB has only one PCIE slot. Some google searches landed on same page and I have same thought about their reliability. Anyone here dealt with them earlier?
Apologies for the dumb question, but in this NIC is each ethernet port a separate network connection or is it just for additional bandwidth?
I was wondering if this could be used to connect (aggregate / fail over) multiple internet connections.
Yes right, each port can be configured as separate network and also for aggregating BW for uplinks but managed switch is needed in this case.

ebay.com seem to have lots of them in the range of $30-50 though they don't ship to india, one option is to use a forwarding service like shopandship/buyandhsip etc

I have 2 wan connections, 150 Mbps and 60 Mbps. I use the single integrated Realtek NIC with VLANs for all my LAN and WAN. With 200 Mbps WAN bandwidth there is no need of such expensive hardware. If you have plans to upgrade bandwidth above 500 Mbps, then ok. I use Opnsense btw
Yes I am doing VLAN on LAN interface. One port (WAN) on current NIC seems failing which is causing issues with WAN connection. We did extensive troubleshooting with help of ISP but it seems problem with card and it is failing and looking for replacement card.

Any feedback Guys.
@vivek.krishnan
I have 4 X RTL giga NICs from an older pfsense build.
THey used to work just fine on symmetric gigabit.
Unless you have a limitation of PCI ports, just get single port cards.. you can take mine if you want .

Having said that, I moved away from software routers a few years back.. unless there is a very specific need , hardware routers will be cheaper and offer better performance for a home network

Any feedback Guys.
@vivek.krishnan

Getting hold of these is not an issue - pricing is. If you had picked up earlier for 8K (which I believe was the price then), now they are nothing short of upwards of 12-15K. You need to look at server spares dealers.

I have just maybe 2 pcs of the quad port as spares with me, I think. I will need to check.
Seeen some in OLX, they were not cheap though. Are you having high internet bandwidth that requires such hardware ?

Its not about bandwidth only, additional features like hardware offload etc which will offload certain tasks to the NIC itself. Also, last time I checked, BSD had reliability issues with Realtek but this was due to version 11 of FreeBSD, but 12 had proper support for Realtek. I still prefer Intel over Realtek.
I have a single port version of this. I had bought it for DIY OPNSense build. But then the host machine died (unrelated event). You can have it if you want.

https://servercart.in/product/dell-intel-quad-port-server-adapter-pci-e-pro-1000-vt-p-n-0yt674/ I don't know how reliable they are, but worth a shot!

Reliability of the NIC (apart from the usual age factor) is mainly to do with where it was used and if there was any power surges etc. We used to run around a dozen pfsense firewalls and this was my experience.

These are 4 NICs in a single package. You can keep each on its own network (for multiple LANs OR multiple WANs) but would need to use a proper OS which can do this. For example, you can use Sophos/Untangle Home editions OR pfsense/opnsense/openwrt/Nethserver/Zentyal OR even roll your Linux distro and do iptables.

I am assuming here aggregate means you want to use multiple internet connections into ONE - you will need to use roundrobin on a router level OR you can install a software like Speedify or ConnectifyMAX on Windows. Failover will require it to be done at router level.

Last edited:
I have 4 X RTL giga NICs from an older pfsense build.
THey used to work just fine on symmetric gigabit.
Unless you have a limitation of PCI ports, just get single port cards.. you can take mine if you want .

Having said that, I moved away from software routers a few years back.. unless there is a very specific need , hardware routers will be cheaper and offer better performance for a home network
Thanks for feedback. I am Checking with Vivek on this and I will let you know in case your NIC is needed.

While smart switch works. Does anyone have any real-world benchmarks of running iperf over it (both down and up simultaneously)?
Can you peak out 1gbit up and down simultaneously while using a single port in the VLAN switch?

While smart switch works. Does anyone have any real-world benchmarks of running iperf over it (both down and up simultaneously)?
Can you peak out 1gbit up and down simultaneously while using a single port in the VLAN switch?
A smart switch is a cheaper, rather than high-performance solution compared to discrete intel NIC. On the other hand, for a dedicated high-performance pfsense box (which would sill be cheaper than diy pc + nic + ram), i prefer a tailor made machine like this one https://www.crazypi.com/firewall-pc-4-lan which has 4 integrated (Intel) NIC and will work for most of the firewall distributions out there. This is small and is very power efficent.

Back