Inverter AC for 120~145 Sq Ft Bedroom

V J

Recruit
Hello All,

Been a longtime lurker & my needs are kinda similar to those of the OP.

My bedroom would measure about ~120 Sq ft and I'll primarily need it just for the summers as my house is cool otherwise.

I was looking at the following Split a/cs:

1. O'General 1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # ASGG12JLCA | Rs. 38k

2. Sharp 1.1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # AX-x13PET-R | Rs. 37.5k/- (with Std fitting & 10 ft Copper pipe)

3. Daikin 1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # FTKE35GVI | Rs. 34000 with R-22 gas
&/or Model # FTKS35EVMA Rs. 39300 with Eco Friendly R-410 gas

4. Samsung 1 Ton Inverter Split | AR12 HV5 | Rs. 37.5k

All of these will cost about 1k for fitting + Rs. 250 per/ft Copper Pipe + Rs. 700 for the Compressor Wall Mounting Bracket.
So approx 4.2k for the installation ¿

Everyone I spoke with told me to avoid the 'fancy looking' LG & Samsung a/cs like the plague.

Similarly, EVERYBODY whom I asked for a/c advice suggested O'General.

The above prices are the cheapest of the lot post surfing a few local showrooms.

The Vijay Sales guy adviced me,
"Sir agar aap pura din ya regularly har roz a/c nai chalane wale hai toh phir yeh le lijiye na:

✈ Carrier duraEdge K Plus 1 Ton 3 Star (all Copper) | Rs. 31.5k (including Std fitting & 10ft Copper Pipe) ?"

Does he have a point or do we have a winner amongst #1,2,3 or 4?

Looking forward to your answers.

Cheers - Vishal

PS: i spoke to an a/c repair/maintenance guy who works for an a/c franchisee & who is buddy with my friend on a conference call for his take,

Him: "sir yeh O'General accha hai lekin inka service itna accha nai hai, Sharp ka bhi waisa hi hai.
Aur aap LG, Samsung, Panasonic mey toh jaana hi mat (he has a huge neon LG sign on his showroom)
mai meri behen ke liye Panasonic Inverter a/c liya, 2 mahine mey problem aaya lekin Panasonic taang deta raha.
Mai unko consumer court ka notice bheja tabhi woh log ne thoda interest dikhaya.......
Daikin aur Hitachi ka service sabse best hai, aap usme jaao
"

Me: "Daikin ka yeh 2 models (listed above) mey actual diffrence kya hai?"

Him: "Sir bas gas ka farak hai aur kuch nai, R-22 juna gas hai jo abhi tak ka sab a/c mey use hota tha.
Lekin kya hai :D, usse na apna woh Ojone layer thoda kharab hota hai:facepalm:, toh yeh log ne thoda environment friendly gas nikala hai jisse woh nai hota hai aur woh thoda jyada efficient bhi hai
"

Even I was wondering about the same thing,
One of my friend is into AC's and he told me to go for voltas.
Also he said that I don't need an inverter AC if I am going to use it only at nights and only during summer.
He said 4star is enough.
P.S. My location is Navi Mumbai. I dont know about the service is other areas.

@V J Would request you to post only english, as the information would be useful to people from differnt geogrphics.

I live in Mira Rd, Mumbai/Thane for now & this is my electricity tarriff > http://www.rel.co.in/HTML/home_checkAllPresentTariff.html

My electricity consumption for the past year has been under 100 Units mostly.

I may use it again during the transition of seasons when it gets very hot but, I'd primarily be using it only for the Summer months i.e., 8-10 hours a day (for sleeping) & perhaps use it all day during the 2 days off per week.

My windows face east & I live on the Top Floor of a seven storey building.

@V J - based on your room size / usage I would really suggest a regular 5 Star AC and not an inverter. A 5 Star AC will consume say around 6 units of power per day based on 8 hours usage. A regular AC will cost you appx 27-32k based on which brand you choose. As suggested O'General, Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, Voltas etc have great performance. If you get a chance also check out Vestar/Eltech brand from ETA - the group that also sells OGeneral. Their models are competitively priced, are 100% copper and have great air flow. I personally have purchased that and waiting for installation so will also provide review post installation.

go for Sharp 1.1 ton PHT model .. dont buy samsung , daikin in your life ..they r not suited for ACs .. LG is much better

and dont fall trap of people who suggest 5 star ACs .. its your life .. you have choosen inverter is the way togo

Last edited by a moderator:
As prakash said it really depends on your usage. It looks like you'll be using it about 400 hours a month, and I guess Summer is about 4 months? Your monthly usage will cross the 300 units barrier and go into the Rs.9/KWh tariff slab. Using a duty cycle of 0.75 and assuming the mean 30% saving with inverter ACs, you should be saving about ~3.4k per year with an inverter. Most people would like to recover the additional investment on an Inverter AC within 2 years, i.e. if the inverter is not more than ~7k over a regular 5 star AC, its worth it.

As prakash said it really depends on your usage. It looks like you'll be using it about 400 hours a month, and I guess Summer is about 4 months? Your monthly usage will cross the 300 units barrier and go into the Rs.9/KWh tarrif slab. Using a duty cycle of 0.75 and assuming the mean 30% saving with inverter ACs, you should be saving about ~3.4k per year with an inverter. Most people would like to recover the additional investment on an Inverter AC within 2 years, i.e. if the inverter is not more than ~7k over a regular 5 star AC, its worth it.
I dont think the savings would be as high as 3.4k. My guess is compared to a 5 Star AC the savings should not be more than 1 to max 2k(incase someone uses super eco mode) for 4 month running. I think members / consumers still do not understand the principle of inverter ACs and go by manufacturer claims. Once you use it you will know there are hardly any savings. An inverter AC makes sense only if you use it for 365 days, longer hours, your current AC has frequent shutdown/ restarts. If its continuously running, you will hardly notice any difference if you install an inverter or non inverter AC. You can ask this to any person having technical knowledge and he will agree, that if your AC is correctly sized, do not use for longer durations then a regular 5 star AC is as good as an inverter AC.

^ You really need to stop assuming everyone is running the AC for only 2~3 hour cycles as you. Granted my 30% savings estimate is a bit of a best case scenario, but one which you also agreed with. In any case, I have put forward my calculations; likewise you are free to share your calculations which disproves the above :)

^ You really need to stop assuming everyone is running the AC for only 2~3 hour cycles as you. Granted my 30% savings estimate is a bit of a best case scenario, but one which you also agreed with. In any case, I have put forward my calculations; likewise you are free to share your calculations which disproves the above :)
no the assumption is based on a 8 hour run of a 5 Star AC compared to an inverter AC. In my case the payback of 5 star to inverter was 10 years! as I run it for only 3-4 hours for around 100 days a year! If its around 8 hours a day payback would be around 4-5 years, yet too much according to me.

Tell me prakash14, if I can have a Inverter AC from a renowned Japanese brand at more or less the same price of a 5 star AC from another renowned Japanese brand, which one will I opt for? Say this buying decision of mine is irrespective of any usage pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Please avoid insulting other members
damn .. 5star acs will be banned in future.. future is only inverter acs powered by 410a gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me prakash14, if I can have a Inverter AC from a renowned Japanese brand at more or less the same price of a 5 star AC from another renowned Japanese brand, which one will I opt for? Say this buying decision of mine is irrespective of any usage pattern.

Thanks in advance.
Yes the price you get is great. Never got that price anywhere in the market. So for me there is a difference of close to 8k between a 5 star and inverter so I would prefer the 5 Star version rather than inverter. Also with inverter you have additional items in the AC like additional circuits / parts etc and remember if they go bad then replacement is equally costly. I have nothing against inverter ACs as I also own and that too a Sharp but installed that because it servers a purpose. If it does not serve additional purpose, I simply stick to the basics.

damn .. 5star acs will be banned in future.. future is only inverter acs powered by 410a gas

dont buy 5star ac to save money like chirkut low class people.. always buy future proof .. more power saving machines powered by japan tech ...

First of all you should learn to respect views of other members. The way you are speaking is too rude to even really respond.

Just for your kind knowledge no one will ever ban regular ACs. Also for your knowledge regular ACs also come with 410a gas. And also for your additional knowledge, some 5 Star ACs cost more money than inverter ACs so its nothing to do with low class people if you think I am low class. If having General AC means low class, I can live by that!

Thanks in advance.

Yes the price you get is great. Never got that price anywhere in the market. So for me there is a difference of close to 8k between a 5 star and inverter so I would prefer the 5 Star version rather than inverter. Also with inverter you have additional items in the AC like additional circuits / parts etc and remember if they go bad then replacement is equally costly. I have nothing against inverter ACs as I also own and that too a Sharp but installed that because it servers a purpose. If it does not serve additional purpose, I simply stick to the basics.

Thanks for your views but still you are yet to answer by question!!!

So let me repeat and make it more simpler to you: Given a choice for two identically priced Inverter and 5 star rated non-Inverter ACs which one will you opt for irrespective of any usage pattern? Will you stick with simplicity of less electronics in non-Inverters or will you opt for more advanced and complex (thus more additional circuits) Inverter ACs?

Hope I receive the right answer from you this time.

Thanks for your views but still you are yet to answer by question!!!

So let me repeat and make it more simpler to you: Given a choice for two identically priced Inverter and 5 star rated non-Inverter ACs which one will you opt for irrespective of any usage pattern? Will you stick with simplicity of less electronics in non-Inverters or will you opt for more advanced and complex (thus more additional circuits) Inverter ACs?

Hope I receive the right answer from you this time.
Yes, I would definitely choose the non inverter AC considering long term maintenance costs. Hope that answers your query. Basically, rather than anything its a matter of usage / requirement. If you do not need inverter AC I think you should not install it. Like I said earlier too, I had a requirement for one room for inverter AC in which I installed inverter AC, but other rooms which have no such requirement, I have used standard ACs. I again think while evaluating an AC users should also consider long term replacement costs, service costs and so on.

Yes, I would definitely choose the non inverter AC considering long term maintenance costs. Hope that answers your query. Basically, rather than anything its a matter of usage / requirement. If you do not need inverter AC I think you should not install it. Like I said earlier too, I had a requirement for one room for inverter AC in which I installed inverter AC, but other rooms which have no such requirement, I have used standard ACs. I again think while evaluating an AC users should also consider long term replacement costs, service costs and so on.

Thank you for the straight answer.:)

So it seems for two identically priced Inverter & non-Inverter (5-Star) you will always opt for 5-star ACs irrespective of any usage pattern. I wonder how come between two identically priced Inverter and non-Inverter (5-Star) ACs one is going to have more long term maintenance cost over the other. After all both costs the same so their components will be of more or less of equal price. Isn't it?

Back