iOS iPad Air and iOS n00b - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red-devil

Disciple
After bugging a lot of people with what an iPad can and cannot do and hijacking a couple of threads on this forum, I've finally gone ahead and bought the iPad.
I've used it for a day and a half and there are some things that I've liked and a few that I haven't.

Note:
This is my first foray in iOS so comparisons with Android will be inevitable. I've not used any other tablet (save for a brief look at N7 in a BestBuy) so I'm not sure how the others match up. Also, this is NOT a review. @avi is writing up a review and I believe his review will be extra comprehensive. This one's just for my little complaints/praises for iPad Air/iOS.

So here goes:
The things I'm liking:
1. The screen - it's magnificent!
2. The camera is good too...it's much much better than the one on my N4.

The things I'm having trouble with:
1. The keyboard - i'm missing swype so much!
2. The keyboard doesn't seem to respond when I want to edit a word (like typing in Hindi or something and I need to quickly correct/add a letter somewhere in the middle of the word)
3. I tried playing a video and then move it to the background while I browsed something - essentially I just wanted to listen - one of the ways a friend suggested was to swipe up from the bottom to bring up the volume controls and stuff (don't know what its called) and tap 'play'. Although it works, its so annoying! Is there a better way to do this?
4. Is there a way I can prevent Apple from asking for my password each time I download an app?? Now I realize how good/easy play store is - one click install FTW!
5. ASPECT ratio - I hate the black bars. I didn't realize it would be so hurtful! Damn! Anyway to reduce the pain?

I'm sure I've got more quirks coming and I'll try to add to this list.. Meanwhile, can someone please help with these?

1.Swype is only on Android sorry, even I mis won't ask again within that period
5.Live with it or reconvert videos or double tap in avplayer HD for fill screenss Swype
2.Press and hold on the word and a zoomed view will come and then you can easily move your fingers left or right to go to exact location inside the word, slower than Android but more accurate and doesn't need repeated taps

3.Don't know
4.Install all apps within 20-30mins, lol,

I would recommend nPlayer for videos as i use it a lot on my iPhone / iPad. I like its gesture controls, AVPLayer probably has them too but i prefer nPlayer.

What is swype?

???. Just select the word. It comes up very nicely.

The password is asked only once per session. Like u turn the machine, connect to data soource, first app u download it will ask the pwd. then it wont. until it shutdowns or the data source changes.

The video thing, I do that with music. Just push the home, and it will go to background. Video, didnt try.

:). I love the aspect ratio in this thing. 16:9 is a turn off for me. Guess personal preference here. Nothing to do with machine here.

@ayask...

Is ipad air JB out?

I know @m-jeri you hate android so much that you never had luck with it! your preference ios>MS>Andy!

Devices I owned and own now.

Tablets -> Viewsonic Gtab(sold), Samsung tab 10.1(sold), Ainol Spark(sold), N7 2012, ipad Air
Phones -> Galaxy Note 2,Galaxy Grand, iphone 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 (All are still with me)
PMP -> ipod touch 5 Gen

Have constant access to these devices -> ipad 4, N7 2013, Note 2014 tablet, Nexus 10, MemoPad.

Where is the android hate now?. Android sucks at tablet for me. You read it as "Android sucks <insert what you want>" "Bloody murder Android now".

Who is biased now?

Last edited:
Last night I wanted to search for flight tickets and I opened up a few websites on safari and I entered the schedule/destination and hit serach and then while it was searching, I switched to a different tab to search for the same details on a different site. The first tab pretty much froze! It didn't complete the search. I didn't try this on android (my phone screen is a little too small to try such things) but is this how it works across tablets/OS ecosystems? or is this yet another brick in the walled garden of ios?

@m-jeri : you own/owned all these android devices and you never heard of swype? :O

I hate the automatic refresh in iOS devices. Especially when multiple tabs are open. If you are having a Window which you don't want to get refreshed then don't open anything else On iOS device. At least in safari.

Last night I wanted to search for flight tickets and I opened up a few websites on safari and I entered the schedule/destination and hit serach and then while it was searching, I switched to a different tab to search for the same details on a different site. The first tab pretty much froze! It didn't complete the search. I didn't try this on android (my phone screen is a little too small to try such things) but is this how it works across tablets/OS ecosystems? or is this yet another brick in the walled garden of ios?

@m-jeri : you own/owned all these android devices and you never heard of swype? :O

I am yet to understand what is swype? I usew android keyboard to type things. is that what swype is?

Edit: googled.. I have seen that in videos only. never used. :).

@ayaskant12

PM ???? :D :D

Swype is a keyboard where you just Swype over alphabets in sequence without releasing hand
So no taps
Just google it

It's much much faster[DOUBLEPOST=1386175927][/DOUBLEPOST]And above message was swiped

I tried it now. Dun nu i came from physical kbb. Prefer normal taps. I am fast at that. Normal user who content with closed option as many would say :) :)

I tried it now. Dun nu i came from physical kbb. Prefer normal taps. I am fast at that. Normal user who content with closed option as many would say :) :)
same here. since I came from physical keyboard, I type faster on that rather than swyping. And also won a sms typing competition against swype :p

Ya it's same case when I used Swype initially
There is a learning curve for sure

But I bet you cannot win the prize by using a single finger or else you may have Come across a weak Swype user ;)

But in any case it makes single handed typing easier for "ME"[DOUBLEPOST=1386179943][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am yet to understand what is swype? I usew android keyboard to type things. is that what swype is?

Edit: googled.. I have seen that in videos only. never used. :).

@ayaskant12

PM ???? :D :D
Pm

Isn't Swyping a feature of the default Android Keyboard as well.
I myself prefer typing with 2 thumbs but it does come handy when you can only use a single hand.

@red-devil if I am not wrong, you will be asked for iTunes password only if you have pending downloads.

If you hate black bars, then you have to compromise on quality. Buy and install AvPlayerHD as it supports different aspect ratios.

and lastly, playing video minimized is app dependent if I am not wrong. some app may continue to play sound and some may not

@avi I think the passwords are asked pretty much every time I try to install an app..
Looks like somehow chrome can play things like live tv on ndtv.com in the background.. I'm actually doing that right now ;-)
This may even make me not return it :p

Btw are you done with your review? I'm eager to read your take on iPad air..[DOUBLEPOST=1386729796][/DOUBLEPOST]Another question: is there a way to prevent the auto reload of web pages? I thought only safari did that but now I see that even chrome does it..any add on or something to block this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back