iOS iPad Air and iOS n00b - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use linux primarily. SO have no way to install iTunes.

Is there any other way to sync?

Best would be if i can transfer files over wifi to my iPad and use some player which can play from the filesystem . Possible?

If you're only looking to transfer specific files then you can install OPlayer on your iPad and use that to download those specific file(s).
Although I'm not quite sure how you can sync things between linux and ios..

Today I tested iPad 4 running on iOS 6. Safari gave really good performance and there was no tab auto refresh even after many opening tabs. Seems this issue is only on iOS 7?

@avi do you know if the iOS update can be rolled back? I have iOS 7 on my iPad Air..
Edit:
I've had too many auto refreshes and this after I swiped out things like games, mail client, oplayer (pretty much everything)..

@avi do you know if the iOS update can be rolled back? I have iOS 7 on my iPad Air..
Edit:
I've had too many auto refreshes and this after I swiped out things like games, mail client, oplayer (pretty much everything)..

You are out of luck. No way to roll back officially or otherwise.

I am trying to achieve something like we do on android. Transfer / Copy videos over wifi and then watch it without need of a sync. this can be achieved?

@red-devil - there is NO way you can go back. Just wait for iOS 7.2 and hope they may fix this thing. On my iPad I open upto 4 tabs and music player in background, no other apps, it's fine...

I am trying to achieve something like we do on android. Transfer / Copy videos over wifi and then watch it without need of a sync. this can be achieved?
Yes, you can.

^Games run as smooth as butter. No issues at all. The issue is of memory management of iOS7. Currently it is seen in Safari and also in Chrome.

^ yes - the games run smooth..although I've not tried a whole lot of them - I gave Infinity blade (the 1st one), ea sports football and some racing game a try...
browsing is absolutely pathetic though.. tried chrome and safari.. is there any other browser worthy of a try?

Also, I feel that Hangouts is heating up the iPad a little.. I had this Hangout with a friend and 10 minutes in and the back started to feel a little warm and it continued until I closed the hangout app..
Is there any app that can monitor and report the CPU usage and throw out some stats? Like over the past hour apps x, y and z used a% of CPU and the battery temp during this time was b degree centigrade..

@avi do you see any such 'heating' issues?[DOUBLEPOST=1387415958][/DOUBLEPOST]Another question:

Let's say I have a pictures folder on my laptop - How do I access it on my ipad? I mean is there a way to stream those (like a movie) onto the iPad (without copying/syncing it)?
I googled around and realized iTunes won't work for in this case..

Last edited:
No I haven't used any other than those two. Actually I don't use browser at all. For forums, there is Tapatalk, for reddit there is Alien Blue and for newspapers I have The Hindu app. So I very rarely open Safari and I don't have to face tab refresh thing cos at max I will be opening 2 or 3 tabs.

I have no heating issues at all. Absolutely nothing. I have watched movies for hours, infinity blade III for hours and my iPad didn't get heated at all.

you can stream pictures too. I don't remember which app, but one of the video streaming app I have supports pictures too. I have Air Video HD, nPlayer & VLC.... And with Plex also you can stream I guess.

@rdst_1 thanks! OPlayer worked like a charm! Didn't have to set up any server/run any application on my PC!

@avi give OPlayer a shot - I didn't get to test all kinds of rips (1080p, 720 etc) but whatever I tried worked - so try it and maybe it will be helpful in your review post (which is long overdue, if I may add :p)
Thanks for this. With the lite version only i am able to stream all content from my shared folders :D. No need for on the air conversion and no need for media host server. Cheers!

No I haven't used any other than those two. Actually I don't use browser at all. For forums, there is Tapatalk, for reddit there is Alien Blue and for newspapers I have The Hindu app. So I very rarely open Safari and I don't have to face tab refresh thing cos at max I will be opening 2 or 3 tabs.

I have no heating issues at all. Absolutely nothing. I have watched movies for hours, infinity blade III for hours and my iPad didn't get heated at all.

you can stream pictures too. I don't remember which app, but one of the video streaming app I have supports pictures too. I have Air Video HD, nPlayer & VLC.... And with Plex also you can stream I guess.

Ok..my usage is a little different - I'm more old school.. :p I prefer using browser to access forums/newspaper websites (although that doesn't mean I load 10+ tabs at any given point and time: 5-6 tabs is my limit - which should classify me as a not so heavy user)

I thought it was particularly stupid for iTunes to not support streaming pictures - I have a whole lot of GB's of pictures that I can't afford to back up online! BTW, isn't there a specific app for streaming pictures?

Also, the one thing that I miss with OPlayer is the ability to access my drives - I used SAMBA and gave my laptop username and password in the app and it still can't access my drives (I don't like to save movies in the C:\Users\... directory...I save it on E:\)
Any way to overcome this?

Ok..my usage is a little different - I'm more old school.. :p I prefer using browser to access forums/newspaper websites (although that doesn't mean I load 10+ tabs at any given point and time: 5-6 tabs is my limit - which should classify me as a not so heavy user)

I thought it was particularly stupid for iTunes to not support streaming pictures - I have a whole lot of GB's of pictures that I can't afford to back up online! BTW, isn't there a specific app for streaming pictures?

Also, the one thing that I miss with OPlayer is the ability to access my drives - I used SAMBA and gave my laptop username and password in the app and it still can't access my drives (I don't like to save movies in the C:\Users\... directory...I save it on E:\)
Any way to overcome this?

I guess you need to check your sharing permissions. I never had a problem seeing any of the drives I shared. All the data I used to watch resides on my external HDD and I had no problem streaming from it.

I use Remote Filebrowser, it supports samba and one can stream or download a file with or without itunes and it plays videos of all format supports subtitles, although some formats don't play in 1080p.It also opens pictures ,documents pdf,xls etc .So its more like a one stop solution.

Do you have browser tab refresh issue ? I used iPad 4 on iOS 6, it worked really fine. Want to how it is for iOS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back